[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - We don't run on this high street; we run this high street

We don't run on this high street; we run this high street

Clothes

Re: We don't run on this high street; we run this high stree

Postby stappard_ » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:17 am

I bought a suit, as I understand it the quality is ok for the price. As you say its hard to get pumped up for mega-simple cardigans really.

All the outerwear look a bit George to me

stappard_

Postby rublev » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:23 am

wtf is this!?? people are mad

proper george

rublev
Political Editor

Postby greggy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:40 pm

Ugh no suits left in grey so I got one in black instead. hoping it's not too stark.

Vest is cool, chesterfield too I guess if you're on a budget but I don't really fancy qlo outerwear too much. £130 for a qlo cardigan is bonkers no matter how you spin it.

greggy

Postby bels » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:42 am

I still have my +j chesterfield from time back and it's still dope still gets worn. The one on the site looks even better. Shits on C O S.

If I wasn't no copping I'd be copping that and the cashmere roll neck and maybe a suit/shirt but probably not.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rublev » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:15 am

Image Image

marni and h&m doing the long bomber

rublev
Political Editor

Postby areo » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:28 am

Acne are too, with removable hood

areo

Postby bels » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:10 am

I'm sending psychic death neg reps to all long bombers cept for the Acne one which is saved by having a hood.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:44 am

+J releasing in HK today. Maybe with the protests it wont be so bad. not sure if i'll actually pick anything up.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby rublev » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 am

COS women has some really amazing new stuff

the new coats are v cool

rublev
Political Editor

Postby stappard_ » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:29 am

dw though it'll be underwhelming in person. lapels on that chesterfield are mental though, great stuff

stappard_

Postby bels » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:32 am

I like that stuff

COS womenswear is so cool that it makes me wonder if they do actually have a good design team and it's being constrained in terms of menswear by what they think will sell.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rublev » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:02 pm

i think i've mentioned it before but i know someone who works in COS and he always says the weirder mens stuff just doesn't sell well at all... like the knit with oversized proportions and bobbly texture etc, there were loads left in store last winter. he said most of the sales in the department are for 'classics' etc, and that was roughly the same across the board throughout the UK stores. so i suppose they see no appetite for the interesting designs seen in the womenswear.

makes me think the menswear design dept is like one guy and an intern with the previous seasons open in google

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:42 am

Uniqlo's new down is amazing it has square down pockets instead of cylindrical ones.

I'm really blown away by this.

Great that I can have the functionality of UNIQLO down in the quilted format favoured by River Island three years ago.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby blanket » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:14 am

Uniqlo's doing some that I think have the potential to look really cool with a relaxed spacey-futuristic fit. If they would have worked with my shoes I'd have bought them on impulse.

I'm a bit short for them though

blanket

Postby blanket » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:57 am

The pair I tried were quite relaxed, not slim or very baggy, with a cord to tighten the hems. Not sure how the men's fits, I only tried women's. The men's look like they might be straighter/without taper (??)
The store I visited didn't have the lighter colours for men, which is a real pity because I think the light colours looked cooler.

here are the men's product pictures

blanket

Postby rublev » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:11 am

They're not on the UK site yet but the green look cool. I wonder if they're reversible... fleece side would be cool, especially with the elasticated hems...

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Those taper trews look cool. Do they have any level of water repellence? I'm guessing because of the shinyness.

Anyway, Adolpho Dominguez always looks a bit interesting but not enough to warrant the RRP (at sale it looks like COS)

I thought this coat was quite cool sounding:

http://www.adolfodominguez.com/uk/u-man ... 3844271842

Zip out lining (no vis) and if your thighs get too cold, it has a zip out skirt too? You can't f with that functionality.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:14 am

bunch of plus j stuff sold out overnight. i want some stuff but i don't want to have to stand in line or set up a bot.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby bels » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:22 am

Wonder how this COS jobbo would look if you sized up.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby une_impasse » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:40 pm

very into this faux fur scarf on zara for 50 dollars!
what a great way to look like a massive beast

its a big picture

une_impasse

Postby Stingray Sam » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:58 pm

just bought those lined uniqlo cargos, hopefully i don't regret this

Stingray Sam

Postby rublev » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 pm

like... i've not bought anything from gap is so long but if they had one of those 30% off codes i might get these just to see

primaloft puffer

'textured joggers'

also the fit maybe questionable but these cord in this colour look total mad good for summer etc

also comes in this weird cool blue teal kinda thing

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:51 am

http://www.allsaints.com/men/jackets/al ... tegory=116

All Saints x Acne Montreal

What's the point in knocking something off and selling it for only £150 cheaper? I guess they're relying on their demographic not knowing what ACNE is.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby mc-lunar » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

from conversations i've had, I can confirm that all saints' male demographic doesn't know what acne is.

interestingly enough most of my girl friends know what acne is and that it's "good" jeans and something about not washing them and don't know about APC but most of my dude friends know about APC but not acne

mc-lunar

Postby can- » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:44 am

nice stuff at Gap GQ this time around.

Gap also has an excellent nylon n3b

can-

Postby yubbermax » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am

I kinda want these:

yubbermax

Postby rublev » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:53 pm

went into whistles today.... wasn't sure whether it applied here as although it's technically high street the prices are def top end. women's stuff was really nice. some okay mens stuff, seems reasonably quality but still overpriced. would maybe consider a cop in 25 / 30% off. knitwear felt nice. tried on a fluffy 'felted wool' knit which was much nicer irl than online. also tried on a alpaca / wool mock neck knit with dropped shoulders which is one i'll keep an eye on...

staff were really nice and helpful but a little 'do you want to buy that' but i guess maybe they've not had many men in the door yet... i muttered something about looking again online before rubbing the charcoal off my trousers and edging out the door

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:41 am

Yeah Whistles price seems a bit out there. Not really sure how they justify that. I guess the construction must be decent but who knows. On the flip side you can almost guarantee there will be some good discounts on a wide range of stuff when sales come because take up on new menswear lines is so slow. Still love Jigsaw menswear for this reason though it seems people are cottoning on there.

In related news I was walking around my local high street and noticed that every store front had a peacoat in it (with a chunky jumper, light chinos and dessert boots of some description) so I guess peacoats are coming back again. I remember the peacoat winter of 08/09. You wouldn't think that something as classic as a peacoat could become played out and yet.

Also I just want to say that I don't think Uniqlo dry tshirts are worth it. They bobble so fast it's unreal. H&M is better for bargain cellar t-shirts. and if you're willing to pay £10 Uniqlo ultra fine cotton tees are great. Not sure how they could be improved upon other than ethics, cooler label so people don't claim you're basic etc etc.

EDIT: Actually on second glance the Whistles prices don't seem that bad to me. Maybe I'm losing my mind but £85 for a shirt and £130 for a pair of trousers seem alright. I think on sale they'll be very palatable if you want boring clothes and don't mind lacking brand cachet. (AKA If you are me)

DOUBLE EDIT: Website copy could do with some work though.

Last edited by bels on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 am

Speaking of trends, how is it that desert boots have gone on so long, especially as a winter choice? They were a 'thing' in real terms, not just on the internet, in about 2010 yet I see more than ever now

stappard_

Postby mc-lunar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 am

Desert boots are one of those things that've been around forever and can only get so untrendy. For what it's worth I saw H&M do a clarks knockoff in about 2011 first which is how i judge their "mainstream" penetration. judging by mfa (not an amazing idea, i know) the CDB CDB CDB support circle is not as prominent as it used to be around the same time, even in the WAYWTs. In my day-to-day life i saw the most desert boots in mid-late 2013 (it was enough that i actually made note of it) and that's tapered off somewhat, although I am in fake canada so the default "nice shoe" especially for winter is Blundstones

mc-lunar

PreviousNext

Return to Tags