[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Uniform Challenge v.1

Uniform Challenge v.1

Clothes

Uniform Challenge v.1

Postby smiles » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:05 pm

DURATION: One (1) month
COMMENCEMENT DATE: TBD

PURPOSES/OBJECTIVES: Aside from the obvious and immediate simplification of everyday rituals of dressing, this project may (hopefully) lead to: A greater satisfaction with one's wardrobe and following this, a reduced desire to purchase more items of clothing, a sense of thrill/superiority induced through strict adherence to an objective, becoming known as 'that guy/girl with the the ______ shirt', and a strong feeling of accomplishment upon completion.

DETAILS/RULES of YOUR UNIFORM

- Pick one (1) style of top. This may include multiples of one (1) item, or two (2) or more items very similar in style. e.g a white Uniqlo oxford, a white Gitman Bros. oxford, and a white Muji oxford. Please make all efforts to make sure they are as close to identical as possible.

- Pick one (1) style of pants. As above, this may include multiples of one (1) item, or two (2) or more items very similar in style. e.g. a pair of navy Uniqlo chinos, a pair of navy Unis chinos, and a pair of navy Norse Projects chinos. Please make all efforts to make sure they are as close to identical as possible.

- Pick one (1) mid-layer such as a sweater or cardigan. As above, this may include multiples of one (1) item, or two (2) or more items very similar in style. (This may not be necessary however, as most mid-layers such as sweaters or cardigans do not become dirty easily and therefore do not need to be washed often.) Please make all efforts to make sure they are as close to identical as possible.

- Pick two (2) pairs of footwear. As above, this may include multiples of one (1) item, or two (2) or more items very similar in style. (Multiples, or two or more items very similar in style, are highly unlikely in this instance however, as many people do not have or need multiples of a pair of shoes or two (2) or more pairs of shoes very similar in style.) The reasons for choosing two (2) pairs of footwear rather than simply one (1) are as follows: Variable weather conditions, different social or workplace-related circumstances, damage incurred upon one pair of shoes when worn consecutively for one month.

Pick two (2) styles of outerwear. As above, this may include multiples of one (1) item, or two (2) or more items very similar in style. (This may not be necessary however, as most outer layers do not become dirty easily and therefore do not need to be washed often.) For example, you may wish to select: one (1) mac coat and (1) bomber jacket. The reasons for choosing two (2) styles of outerwear rather than simply one (1) are as follows: Variable weather conditions, different social or workplace-related circumstances.

EXCEPTIONS

- Any and all undergarments may be worn.

- In cases of severe weather, or a drastic change in circumstances (such as travel from temperate to tropical locales) some adjustments can be made to your uniform.

- any and all accessories may be worn, including any and all cold weather gear such as hats, gloves, scarves or other.

- Any and all exercise or activity-specific garments may be worn for undertaking those exercises or activities.

My Personal Selections:

- Two (2) pairs Yaeca striped long-sleeve tee-shirt, one (1) navy with white stripes and one (1) white with navy stripes. Note: the white one has been ordered but has not yet arrived.

- One (1) pair Tender denim jeans

- One (1) Yaeca cotton cardigan.

- One (1) Arc'teryx insulated jacket and one (1) Yaeca shop coat with removable liner.

or anyone else, any interest?

Last edited by smiles on Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Re: Uniform Challenge v.1

Postby bels » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:08 pm

You people don't know who you're dealing with.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:34 pm

I select:

White tshirt (crew or v)

Black Jeans (Levis Commuter or Muji)

PWVC harrington and YMC longcoat

White Vans and no8 Aldens

black cos linen/cotton knit and jigsaw cotton cardigan

To be honest I have bravado but even with my wardrobe this feels like I'm giving up a lot of stuff like all my shirts, the majority of my white sneak collection. Even my non trainer footwear normally cycles between two derbies and a boot.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby BIGBEE » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:50 pm

I accept

white t shirt long sleeve

wtaps nyco convert pants

the classic north face bb

sweatshirt my mum made me, sweater my mum made me :]

af1

BIGBEE

Postby Ques » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:17 pm

super excited! need the blazer to arrive in the mail sometime next week, then i'm good to go. still too warm to wear the parka but it'll start being reasonable quite soon i think

BB gray button down and some gray flannel

2 long sleeve hanes padded t-shirts

outlier dungerees

navy uniqlo blazer and navy norseprojects parka

adidis campus 80s and chacos

Ques

Postby hamburgerlady » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:25 am

sounds interesting, i think i'll give it a go.
let me know if this isn't considered correct with the terms.

Top // (1) Lad Grey/Black Shadow-Plaid Flannel, (1) Lad Grey/Black "Kazaguruma/Houndstooth" Flannel, (1) Lad Grey/Black High-Neck Polka Dot Stand Collar Shirt.
Under-layer // (1) Lad Black Turtle Neck Shirt, (1) Lad U-Neck Black Long Sleeve (1) Lad Silver Grey U-Neck Long Sleeve
Bottom // (1) Undercoverism Black Trousers , (1) Lad Musician 13oz. Black Denim.
Footwear // (1) Doc Martens 1461 Mono Black, (1) Black/White Eytys "Mother" Suede.
Outerwear // (1) Uniqlo Black Soutien Collar Coat, (1) Uniqlo Black "4-Way" Coat.

hamburgerlady

Postby rjbman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:14 am

I really hope that the participants will at least take some time out of their busy outfit-decision schedule to share a pic or two with this thread.

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby sknss » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:24 am

Also please report how many people asked you if your washing machine was broken

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby smiles » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:43 am

Seems like there is a good amount of interest, would the 3rd of November be a good time to start or do people want a few more days to select their items?

Just to clarify, the uniform is intended to project a continuous baseline image with minimum variation. Although this challenge is personal, the effect of the uniform should be unified enough that people think you are wearing the same thing every day.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby BIGBEE » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:21 pm

pics of uniform, going to buy a larger north face and add that to my uniform. This will be my last purchase, promise

BIGBEE

Postby arcticsound » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Haven't decided if I'm 100% in yet but if I were to do this here's what I'd wear:

(1) DRKSHDW pearl-white t-shirt shirt, (1) ATM pearl-white t-shirt
(1) pair of Acne Max Cash black jeans
(1) black Cloak cardigan
(1) DM 1461 black (1) Vans SK8 Hi black and white
(1) Milsurp parka green (1) Nudie black coated denim jacket

arcticsound

Postby bels » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:24 pm

Can do what you want heck but like smiley has said, really you want people to think you're wearing the same thing every single day, not that you have a compact capsule wardrobe that you are varying through.

Frankly think that having two kinds of shoe is a bit too lenient so might try and bring it down, not sure though. Don't really want to do repeated wear on any of my shoes other than the beaters either.

Would also drop my mid layers down to one but I don't have enough crew neck white long sleeve tshirts.

Bloggo posto about a girl who wore a uniform for a year:

http://helloimnadia.com/post/6160589245 ... for-a-year

Is it easier for women to do this? I feel like I couldn't get away with wearing a tshirt for a year, I'd need to make my uniform have a shirt, which would necessitate buying/laundering 14 shirts (I'm on a strict 2 weekly washing cycle

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:54 pm

Okay let's make the official start Wednesday so everyone can get ready, do laundry. Would have everyone wearing jumpsuits if I could but what can you do.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby hamburgerlady » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:51 am

i think what i find interesting is that people already think i wear essentially the same things everyday (with very small variants).
mostly at least, they comment on whenever i wear colour. ("whoa, wearing colour today? no black/grey/white?")
possibly will try my best to even make my options smaller, and i'll post a photo of what i'll wear for this month on wednesday when it begins.

hamburgerlady

Postby smiles » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:40 pm

here's what i'll be wearing, the only change will be another striped shirt in the reverse of those colours. minus outwear of course.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby finolino » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:00 pm

i'm in this
outerwear: ai flight jacket in burgundy
shirts: a qlo blackwatch frankenflannel and an lvc buffalo flannel, plus a few light grey undershirts
pants: levi 501's in medium and light stone wash
shoes: cherry 1461's and white af1 lo's
will try to adhere to this irl as strictly as possible

finolino

Postby bels » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:53 am

After thinking about it more I'm going to stick to a rotation of my derbies rather than letting any white sneaks in. I'm also going to not wear the cardigan or the YMC coat instead I'll wear my black blazer and jigsaw linen coat.

Thinking about this has made me realise that the difference between "a uniform" and "a small amount of clothes" is actually pretty big because as soon as you have an option, you can start putting weight behind the decision.

Really should buy more crew neck long sleeve tshirts.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:04 am

Really like the idea here and think it's a great idea.

I won't be joining for obvious reasons. The largest of which is yesterday I rediscovered a sportswear cape me and Katy own and I'm all about this cape right now but I know next week I'll be over it.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby smiles » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 pm

Hey gang, hope you're ready for our start tomorrow. If possible, could you post a picture some time tomorrow so we can all see your lovely uniforms. Great.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby mofaux » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:37 pm

This is how I live my life. It's gotten to the point that people make jokes about it and that's ok. This was suggested for my halloween costume:

I would participate but I have already posted pretty much every iteration of my uniform in one place or another.

shirt - white crew or scoop neck tee
jacket - toj leather or toj olive parka
pants - raw indigo or spandex black jeans
boots - boots
midlayer - no

ex
ex
ex
ex

mofaux

Postby hamburgerlady » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:37 pm

here's my "uniform" for the month:

hamburgerlady

Postby Ques » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 pm

on the first day of wearing my uniform i had a freak accident and transplanted a lot of the skin that was on my knee onto the inside of the pants i was gonna wear for the challenge, and now i have to wear shorts because i cant find a bandaid for my knee (fresh air is good for open wounds right?) but as soon as i clean the pants and find a bandaid i'll post a pic and start, albeit a bit late

Ques

Postby bels » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:06 am

The problem with v necks is you can't just wear a sweater on top of them, which complicates my layering situation.

I should have bought two of those +J rollnecks (instead of none)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:22 am

BTW i am aware of the irony that as soon as I start wearing a uniform i start thinking about things I should buy to make the uniform better.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm

So anyway, yesterday I was going to see an elderly lady, and I thought I'll be damned if I go see someone over 80 wearing a tshirt, so I ended up wearing an OCBD which still felt pretty uniform, but wasn't. Then today I was playing dress up with some trousers I recently got (pm no cop thread) and I thought whatevs this looks cool, it's a nice sunny Sunday, I'm wearing it.

I'll get back to the uniform experiment on Tuesday (Monday I'm wearing a suit for a fancy work function)

I guess the struggle of getting a uniform that you can truly really honestly wear every single day to almost all functions is kind of hard. And maybe the uniform you could wear every single day would be higher maintenance than you'd like, especially if worn that frequently.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:19 pm

I think having some formal options still works within the uniform, assuming you aren't wearing a suit every day. It fits into the same category as a outfit for swimming or skiing or whatever. Still, I do think uniforms in general tend towards more somber and formal yes. would be rather difficult to wear a loud print everyday.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby ramseames » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:23 pm

I want to wear more uniform experiment

ramseames

Postby maj » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Surely the Dream is to have a uniform for every occasion rather than a one that fits all for daily wear in my eyes. Eg

- work uniform
- smart casual uniform
- sports uniform
- casual uniform
- sleeping uniform

Basing your wardrobe around the idea of a sports teams get up, their branded formal suits, their kits, their shirts ect seems like the end game rather than a focus on a one size fits all unoform from my view. You have to be careful it doesn't turn into a free for all but it's quite a realistic end game. Arsene wenger yet again ultimate flintstone.

Also begs the question, what brands sell a full uniform?

Quitting the game x uniform thread collab

maj

Postby bels » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:38 pm

I think tpaine mentioned it once, but suits are the ultimate male uniform.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby smiles » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:56 pm

The suit has to be #casual enough though, for me to want to wear it everyday. Something that doesn't really look like a business suit. Like cdg or harnden. With seven identical white shirts.

That's the Ultimate Art World type, staying up late munching canapés and free wine at a gagosian opening then waking up in the same suit and going to teach a course at ucl.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Next

Return to Tags