[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Price Of Quitting The Game

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: NOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPB

Postby bels » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:21 pm

Three months is hard as hell (for me)

Hundo a mundo experimundo is going great. Has already modified my buying habits. No longer worth sniping that <whatever> because it's "so cheap" if it's going to take a dent out of the fund. Just got June's hundo deposited.

The down side is that I guess I'm still spending my money on something because I had about £80 left in my bank account before payday so I don't know.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby exprof » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:17 pm

lol caved and bought 10$ h&m flower pants. but i mean i lasted 7 months so thats nice. now im going 2 get rid of my eg and become flower-health-goth.

exprof

Postby Ques » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:40 pm

lasted 5 months until i found a bless sweater for 30 euro at a street market, time to start over

Ques

Postby tttigre » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:30 am

Here I am beginning a Super Official Cop Freeze until September at the earliest, moving at the end of the summer so I need to reroute some life expenses. Have some stuff in the mail but nothing (save for a couple white AmAp tees to replace older ones) else from here on out. Also got back into mint.com the other week to track my finances and their colorful little graphics sure are an effective way to say "you spend a whole lot on clothes".

Also going to spend more time here! I feel that stepping away from the site-that-must-not-be-named or at least spending less time there will allow me to transition away from the easy consumerism of hobbyist fashion and more toward meaningful discussion.

若者文化
tttigre

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Postby bels » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:18 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:26 pm

maj

Postby schiaparelli » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 pm

schiaparelli

Re: The Price Of Quitting The Game

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:27 pm

"Would I buy this again if I was staring at it in a store" is the best way to decide if you you should keep something

ramseames

Postby JonjoShelvey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:55 pm

you can still be caught in blind hype in a store tho. I bought my geos in store and it ended up as one of my worst buys ever. I guess it can work better as a theoretical question tho

JonjoShelvey

Postby bels » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Surely not buying things is less materialistic than buying things. Even if it starts off as an anti posture I feel like it would be impossible for it not to eventually become your state of being.

I will concede that my constant taking about trying to quit the game whilst having more posts than anyone on this site does look pretty dishonest and invite people to keep this in mind if my tone gets overly moralistic.

Don't buy jamfax putting down the uniform. Just get two uniforms then. Or five or whatever.

Moving to the woods critique is valid but I think if you also quit the fashion internet you'd find it easie easy to not think about clothes.

For the record hundymundy is going fine except I did actually re invest the TOJ money back into the game. Only issue is that Hindu money is just damage limitation and doesn't stop (or maybe even encourages) wasting time hunting for what to buy next/thinking about clothes

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:11 pm

Yeah it works better as a theoretical question than actually being in a store with something you kinda want in front of you

Actually quiting is pretty pointless, it's not really gonna happen for anyone who's here

Better to be really directional with purchasing and accept that you'll spend money every year forever on clothes and that sometimes you'll wear something twice then sell for a big loss and that that's just part of it being a hobby

ramseames

Postby maj » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:29 pm

i think more people would be inclined to quit the game if it was on mr p at 70% off

maj

Postby bels » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:40 pm

People would be more into quitting the game if kanye did it

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:45 pm

I actually feel completely convinced I'll end up quitting the game eventually (and so will most people). I normally stay interested in something for about five years then move on.

If you ever lose hope about quitting the game remember hapsical who did all those very detailed raf write ups but now just does cross fit

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:09 pm

hapsical still works for mr p don't he?

no such thing as quitting, just feigning ignorance

ramseames

Postby JonjoShelvey » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:26 pm

is wearing only a few brands a step into quitting the cyclical fashion game? or is it the same thing?

JonjoShelvey

Postby Cowboy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:29 pm

I think a few taggers could show why sticking to a few brands doesn't really keep them from buying clothes

Cowboy

Postby 3hunna » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:33 pm

The only ways to quit the game is to either get to a physical condition where fashion is no longer an option (morbidly obese, huge bodybuilder look), or to pick up a hobby that is even more consuming (like heroin or something) so that you spend the energy and money you would've spent on fashion on this new hobby.

3hunna

Postby can- » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:51 pm

'hundymundy' ..... LOL

can-

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:07 am

Dropping the amount of brands you buy is surely a step towards quitting the game as it involves decreasing choice and therefore decreasing the amount of time spent thinking about clothes

bels
Yung Winona

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:08 am

I almost quit the game this summer. Started to really lose interest in clothes and was mostly satisfied with what I already owned, I hadn't bought anything in months, and stopped thinking so hard about what I wore.

Then care-tags came back. Shortly after both Uniqlo and GAP Outlet had labor day sales and I ended up breaking no cop.

RomanEmpire

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 am

games I have quit:

Yoyos (Can't even remember the name of the forum I used to post on re: yoyos. Was pre youtube days. People would upload .wmvs of their sick routines (soundtrack:nine inch nails). My mum bought me a yoyo for my birthday last year and then cried that I don't use it and that she doesn't know me any more.)

Longboarding (Used to post on two different longboarding forums, had a custom board made, made a banana board myself. Stood on my slalom board the other week and nearly died (old man - might mount my custom board on the wall for ultimate old man status, HMU if you want to buy some used holey trucks and 78a Gumballs))

Photography (I still take instagrams but I no longer cruise eBay for bargain cameras to import or have fifty photo blogs that I check everyday or send long emails to my photography friends about What Makes Photographs Good Or Bad - Would like to get fashion game to this level maybe?)

Tumblr/prose fiction (There's no money in literature)

Last edited by bels on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:36 am

why not quit fashion for ARGs

germinal
Garminlad

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 am

schiaparelli

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:29 am

I think that those Rick Owens fans are probably much more detached from fashion than I am. If they're looking for literally one thing(their grail) then everything they see is a binary choice. "Is this the dickless onesie from S/S 13 'Dragon Butt' ?" if Y buy if N refresh yahoo auctions. I don't see how this can be considered the same as being brand agnostic which means you have to make a bunch of decisions about what you want, who to buy it from, what version to get, what price point you're playing in. If you want "a parka" you have to choose from about sixty zillion brands, all at different price points with different everythings.

Maybe it's not universal but I am absolutely convinced that by offloading all my interior design choices to Muji and saying I want to paint all my walls white I've saved myself a lot of stress. If it worked for interior design I don't see why it wouldn't work for clothes.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:42 am

the difference is you dont have an ebay search set up for out of production muji and tins from dulux's much-maligned-at-the-time holiday 2003 colgate collaboration

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 pm

I actually do have that eBay search set up for Muji but the selection is so poor that my chances of getting anything are near to nil.

Even WITH the eBay search though it's still less choice and I'm sticking with the concept that less choice = less hassle. At least to some degree. I get that you can just obsess over smaller and smaller details as you zoom further and further in but if there's less that you can actually choose from there's less details.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Iliam » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:34 pm

The two factors that enable shopping are time and money.

If you want to quit the game then you have to reduce the amount of time that you spend looking at clothes and/ or reduce the amount of money that you have to spend. If you really want to quit the game you probably have to reduce both to near zero, whether that is by forcing yourself to be busy with other activities or constructing buying schemes that limit one or both of these things.

I would like to hear about when buying or wearing clothes have made ppl feel happy or content...

Iliam

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:41 pm

If you want to be happy why not just pet a cat. It's free.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:45 pm

it seems a bit ludicrous to have a thread about quitting the game on a fashion forum (participation in it is explicitly designed to keep you in the game). at the same time, I do constantly wonder if there's a way to engage in fashion in a non-materialist way, where I can talk about things and care about things intensely and not want them.

for me, looking at runway stuff is actually super useful for this—learning about the construction of couture is fantastically exciting but also totally inaccessible to me (and there often isn't an easy way to translate Weird Designer Shit into something I could actually wear in an outfit). the most I can do is print out high-res photographs to put on my wall.

we have a contentedness/curation thread called "" (ty )

I've got a few things that are maybe 4 years old now that I'm quite fond of and have stood the test of time, and maybe are worthy contenders for such a thread

luckily (note that even this game pushes your materialist urges to buy as many cat toys as possible)

schiaparelli

PreviousNext

Return to Tags