[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Irregulars, revolutionaries, & professional dissidents

Irregulars, revolutionaries, & professional dissidents

Clothes

Irregulars, revolutionaries, & professional dissidents

Postby wax » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 am

Images of irregulars and dissidents from protests, uprisings, civil wars, etc.

The regular military's clothing has had an influence on fashion and civilian dress since way back when. For a while now I've found the mix of civilian and military kit worn by irregular forces and normal people caught up in armed conflicts to be just as interesting. I used to have a large collection of images from the optimistic days of the Arab Spring through to when the Ukrainian conflict was still centred on the Maidan, but I've since lost them. So it goes.

political opinions probably best discussed elsewhere.

wax

Re: Irregulars, revolutionaries, & professional dissidents

Postby oucho » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:50 pm

I thought this thread was interesting until the last sentence, which seems ridiculous to me, I don't see how you can look this sort of thing without taking the context into account: clothes can't exist in a void where you remove their meaning and origins, I don't think that makes any sense

oucho

Postby wax » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:56 pm

wax

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

I wont be looking at this thread - it feels in bad taste. I do understand that conflict has influenced fashion and a good deal of the denim world is centred on vintage militaria, however it's generally historic, and with a sense of place and time. This is all current and there are far more important take-aways than headwear and draping.

My homeland is about to enter another phase of fighting and war and the thought of analysing a photo of current pain and suffering in a sartorial sense turns my stomach.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby une_impasse » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:40 pm

i agree with the above, and i think there is a way to look at this other than taking military and conflict related images out of context and celebrating or admiring something, that feels exploitative and belittles legitimate human rights causes. i think it would be more constructive to look at how these images and their respective periods of history have affected fashion and style. for example, marc jacobs and many other designers using army green and heavy military cuts this season again while others (dries van noten, etc.) have drawn on anti-establishment, anti-war styles of the 60s and 70s as a counter to the current state of world affairs.

une_impasse

Return to Tags