[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - We don't run on this high street; we run this high street

We don't run on this high street; we run this high street

Clothes

Re: We don't run on this high street; we run this high stree

Postby hooplah » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:42 pm

just like you can always pick out girls who will have "keep calm and carry on" and audrey hepburn in breakfast at tiffany's posters in their rooms

tory burch flats and longchamp bags usually strong indicators

hooplah

Postby germinal » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:27 pm

lol those jackets were everywhere here last year, along with overcoats with biker jacket detailing/zips
this year i'm seeing on girls in more biker jacket hybrids and pastel colour coats
surprising lack of bombers

saw a girl in a presumably high-street knock-off of the celine mohair overcoat on the tube yesterday, the mohair had gone all rank and straggly
saw a dude in what was possibly the burberry shearling on berwick st today, did a triple take

germinal
Garminlad

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:51 pm

Is this forum mostly UK people? Seeing a lot.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Besides a few prominent members it's still mostly American.

ramseames

Postby smiles » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:34 am

i'd say we are pretty solidly international. hk, singapore, canada, japan, america, uk, belgium, and others i'm forgetting. also a refreshing mix of genders.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby bels » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:12 pm

went to primark with my mum today, shocked me how cheap this stuff was. full fishtails for like £25 tees for like £2 store was rammed. qual no different to topman if i'm honest, but it reminded me how much i hate shopping in high street stores. people just pushing each other climbing over things to reach some designer ripoff to discard it later on the floor, can see why people pay for stores like reiss and stuff mark up if i liked shopping on the high street, none of this zoo behavior.

the prices are cheap on the street but if i'm shopping in store i'd much prefer a nice experience otherwise i might as well save the bus fair and order online.

maj

Postby bels » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:27 pm

When people throw static at you for spending too much on clothes that's what they're comparing it to.

Agree that primark is total chaos though. I should go in and take some bleak pictures.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Every time I've gone into Primark about half of their stuff is strewn on the floor and no one seems to mind

Syeknom

Postby bels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Was in TKMAXX today. Saw this fake selvege:

bels
Yung Winona

Postby can- » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:15 pm

you mean tj max?

can-

Postby bels » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:24 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby odradek » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:19 pm

real question: is that fake selvage? it is a self finished edge, i imagine there's some grosgrain/ribbon making machine where they throw in a single red warp and just make super long strips of selvage to sew into items. i have a levi's chambray that has that going around the neck and it certainly looks like a standalone selvage.

odradek

Postby charybdis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 am

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby Syeknom » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:30 am

Syeknom

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:54 pm

I buy all my socks in uniqlo because they're great, but while I was in there yesterday I picked up a long sleeve tee. I'm SO impressed with it, it's 100% cotton, a nice mustard, and has a really soft hand. It actually feels like moleskin, and just as good as any of the japanese loopwheeled offerings. Might go pick up some more colours.

http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/078726

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:23 am

I bought some of those last year. Nice but I found they shrunk like crazy.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby charybdis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:20 am

Why is the uniqlo UK online shop not fucked up like the US one is?

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:16 am

I thought they might, so I bought an XL. It does piss me off when things shrink though when they're not supposed to -- it's like they did no QC. If you put out a product that might shrink, just tell people, there's a whole bunch of people who will be totally into it.

I had 3 products from H&M lose their shape and shrink when I was like, 14, and I never went in there again.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

To be fair I emailed them and they said :( and when I posted the stuff back they refunded me + postage.

Still annoying though innit?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 am

Really annoying. Also, you shouldn't have had to go to the trouble of emailing them and sending it back. That's a broken, wasteful system for everyone involved.

I'm unusually passionate about broken systems today as DHL was meant to get a package to me before noon, and it's not here yet. I hate DHL, it's the absolute worst, but almost every business uses it. Once my fashion business is ticking over I think I'm going to fix logistics because this shit isn't on.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:44 am

Dat travelling salesman problem doe

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:41 am

dodged a bullet with not getting a fishtail, burtons dropped 2 and already becoming the must have item this winter around town

maj

Postby anonomous » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:16 am

An olive/green fishtail/parka is so common around portsmouth. I can count at least 10 if i go out to town.

anonomous

Postby kewks » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:13 am

are the high street stores for women better in europe? every time i go into forever 21 i am shocked that people can justify spending money there.. they have the most ridiculous things (like a shirt that said #ootd and another one with djing holographic cats on it)

kewks

Postby bels » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:50 am

It feels like there's a lot of choice in female high street stores. Like if you don't like F21 you can go a bit more upmarket but you don't have to go all the way to the top.

Plus when you compare stuff like http://www.cosstores.com/ men's collection to the women's collection it's crazy.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 am

Idk if I'm totally off base but isn't aritzia/TNA very much a high street store?

ramseames

Postby Syeknom » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:17 am

Lot of high street stuff and options for women here: COS, WE, Espirit (very popular), S.Oliver, Mango, C&A, Scotch & Soda, Talking French, Massimo Dutti (though they front like they ain't high street), Zara, H&M, F21, Paprika, Appel, Zaza, etc etc.

COS stuff for women is so much more interesting than for men.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:47 am

Jigsaw and Reiss are two other high street mid range shops. Though they both do menswear. Whistles is womenswear only though, and monsoon. The low end of high street is the same here but it feels like there's more of a scale from their to the high end.

I sort of had a conversation once where I said women's high street is always better than men's due to the fact that womenswear in general is more experimental and varied, so you can rip it off more easily and still maintain some kind of spirit of the thing. For eg sheer tops, they were big at some point right? So you can make a cheap sheer top which won't feel nice or be "high end" but can still give a very similar effect to a high end piece. Or wedge sneakers, you can make a cheap shoe that looks like a wedge sneaker. Or a gradient print tshirt. Whereas as higher end menswear (to me) is more about small details, expensive fabrics and fancy manufacturing techniques on a basically boring item. So when you cheapen down the piece and the fabric sucks and it doesn't have the small details or technique, it becomes just a poorly made and boring item.

I know for more out there menswear pieces this doesn't apply and it feels like there's a market for someone to rip off say, jilraf marble shirts. But the market is maybe too small for a true high street brand to go for it. Which is why I love cos. I think they have an a wang neoprene bomber in their latest drop.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:00 pm

A relative has reccd me Adolpho Dominguez claiming it's like a more colourful cos. Any second opinions @ prices look alright so I might check it if I'm in London

bels
Yung Winona

PreviousNext

Return to Tags