[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Great Fit Mentor Experiment (get $$ get critiqued)

The Great Fit Mentor Experiment (get $$ get critiqued)

Clothes

The Great Fit Mentor Experiment (get $$ get critiqued)

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Hey guys! I had an idea for a way to improve the community. I am willing to sink in about $50 total of my own money to see what happens, and I will be organizing this for those who want to participate. Read on:

A problem with WAYWTs is that beginners posting fits get passed over. They never get feedback from the people they most want it from--the more experienced dressers that the beginners admire. The best dressers find beginners' fits too boring to spend time critiquing, and plus there would be a never-ending flow of beginners requiring the same advice over and over. I want to add a small monetary incentive to connect these experienced posters small with beginners who want fit critique, which I think will be good for the community because it will help new members of the forum to contribute better content faster, as well as feel more confident in themselves. This is an experiment, so we'll see what elements of it were useful and what were not once we're done.

I will personally offer 5-10 experienced posters both here and possibly on other forums $0.25 per critique of some other peoples' fits. You should have your WAYWT pics consistently repped to green. I will send experts a fit photo submitted by a participant and they will respond to me via PM with a short paragraph, about 5 sentences, explaining what could be improved about the fit and most importantly WHY something does or doesn't work, which will help people to learn. Then I will share that critique with the user as well as post it in this thread. If you want to be an expert participant in this experiment, PM me.

I will be accepting 10 total fit mentees/critique-seekers. If you want free personalized critique from great dressers, and submit it. Lurkers can also fill this out.

Over the next 1-2 weeks I will notify people if they've been selected and the experiment will begin in early January.

I'm really excited about this, and I hope that some of you are too! Send me a PM if you have any questions. If anyone else wants to throw in a few bucks, we can keep this going longer than when my $50 runs out, but the experiment will happen regardless as long as we have great participants!

yoyobeat

Re: The Great Fit Mentor Experiment (get $$ get critiqued)

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:19 pm

This is a super cool idea in terms of encouraging positive constructive feedback from people who know what they're doing but I'm really not sure if money needs to be involved...

mc-lunar

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Haha! I am definitely open to cutting out the monetary aspect if that's what the will of the people ends up being, overall (I mean, it would save me $50).

(in the thread rather than the short rep comments)--- I'd like to know more about why you all frown upon involving money in this. Is it because you feel like it reduces to the community help to a transaction? Clearly there are plenty of so-so fits that only get like 1-5 reps and little to no in-depth feedback is offered, so I felt that high-quality feedback with a small transaction would be way way superior to no feedback at all. Could any of it be that $0.25 seems like too low an amount? (i.e. if mentors were offered $10 per photo to critique, how many mentors would object?)

Would love to continue a dialogue about this here, and about ways that beginners can be helped to improve faster in general. Please call out flaws in what I've proposed and tell me how you'd do it better.

yoyobeat

Postby RycePooding » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Money makes it feel weird.

RycePooding

Postby can- » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:57 pm

give me 50c and we can talk

can-

Postby ramdomthought » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:10 pm

i'll only do this for homemade bbq sauce recipes

ramdomthought

Postby INNIT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 pm

you seem like a great guy but this idea seems super strange and uncomfortable 2 me

money or no money, we shouldn't really need a dedicated service for discussing people's fits. if you are like me and have read the waywt from page 1 you'll see that in the days of old people in the community discussed each other's outfits without having to be prompted to do so. i'm sure we can recreate that atmosphere without designating people as "mentors" and "mentees".

not only that but the designation of "experienced" poster, however well meaning or true, does create a kind of weird internet hierarchy thing. be4 u know it there will be a well-dressed bourgeoisie ruling this forum and i will not allow that 2 happen!!!!!!!

time 2 fight back caretags.org

INNIT

Postby harmsalmon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:32 pm

ya I'm not some cheap fashion hooker

harmsalmon

Postby RomanEmpire » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:26 am

I think this is basically what The Lab thread should be, without money involved, and without a small group of people being deemed "better" than the rest. Plus I think a pretty decent amount of advice is actually given within our WAYWT thread, although most of it is through rep.

RomanEmpire

Postby agvs » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:37 am

I don't view (and never have viewed) CareTags as an advice forum. I think the majority of us came over from another notorious advice forum and I, for one, would like to leave that stuff over there. If someone wants advice they should just ask for it and most people here are friendly and will give it to you. Even if you want advice from a specific person you can just tag them or PM them. Now where's my money?

agvs

Postby oucho » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:26 am

I would like to pay saveed to not give me advice :(

oucho

Postby bels » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:40 am

I'd like to pay someone to give me advice on how to give advice.

I've been looking to get into giving advice for a while but haven't made much progress and wondered if some of you guys could point me in the right direction. A bit about what I'm looking for:
- I'm fundamentally unable to accept anyone not liking me, so I won't do mean advice
- The advice I'd kind of like to get into is sort of like Polonius's advice to Laertes but with elements of Wear Sunscreen by Baz Luhrman
- Right now I think I overestimate my relationship with the person I'm giving advice to and come across as agressive when I'm going for more of a friendly banterish jizz.
- I normally give advice in the evening, but don't mind giving advice at lunch time/breakfast

Otherwise pretty much open to anything

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:12 pm

schiaparelli

Postby yoyobeat » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:52 pm

:woop:

To be honest, I think this thread, in creating this discussion, is managing to help with what I wanted the 'experiment' to do in the first place: make a strong community stronger. It's cool to see people articulate and rally around what the forum means to them, especially in funny ways, and yeah, those are all great values for a place to have as far as I'm concerned. It's clear to me that regardless of whether the original idea is any good, care-tags is the wrong place for it to exist.

yoyobeat

Return to Tags