[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Future Is Curatorial

The Future Is Curatorial

Clothes

Re: The Future Is Curatorial

Postby Eddie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:31 pm

I don't particularly understand/agree with 'pre-2000s' as a way of categorizing clothing either

Eddie

Postby smiles » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:54 pm

I don't mean things that exist literally in a museum. I just mean clothes that I think have something to say about "clothing" "gender" "fashion" or some other abstract concept. Or perhaps clothes that showcase technical or visual ingenuity.

Re: 2000, the point is that it's arbitrary.

I think this conversion is hard to have without understanding my personality.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby Eddie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:46 am

why neg

Eddie

Postby titkitten » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:01 pm

titkitten

Postby wax » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:19 am

I'm not sure if this is exactly the thread for capsule wardrobes/ wardrobe subsets or whatever but here goes. I'm relocating at the end of the year and using the opportunity to do a few months travelling. This is the capsule wardrobe that I'm planning on taking, plus a pair of quick dry shorts for exercise/swimming.

- 2x grey tees
- 2x white tees
- Ben Sherman chinos
- Norse ripstop shorts
- Saturdays swimshorts
- Norse flannel
- pistols at dawn cardigan

- RW1907
- NB1300

- Hershel little America Navy/corduroy

I wanted to hit something that was reasonably cohesive and small enough to fit in my backpack, alongside toiletries and my macbook & camera.

two starting points below the spoiler

the only think I haven't figured out yet is what wet-weather jacket to take.

wax

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:27 am

a while back (more than a year ago!!) i posted a picture of my shoe collection and i thought it might be interesting to see what's happened since

red are shoes that i don't own any more (i traded the cdg cons for a pizza when i was drunk but the rest i'm fairly happy with not owning)

green are the shoes that I brought with me to university

purple are the shoes that i couldn't convince myself to get rid of because they're either bizcaz or something i'd like to have as an option in the future

when i first made this post i couldn't decide if all those red x's made me happy or sad but i know the answer is definitely happy now. im glad my wardrobe rate of churn has slowed down significantly too imo that means im doing something right

mc-lunar

Postby khayandhi » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:35 am

shit photo of pleatsplease collection before I sell it to fund my PhD~~

it's been a good ride having clothes I can just shove at the bottom of my backpack and then wear and still look like I tried

khayandhi

Postby bels » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:16 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby trichomatic » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:49 pm

My current footwear:

Captoes and suede longwings.
Pretty much never wear these but there's a few occasions throughout the year where they see use.

Steel toes for heavy duty work, boots for extreme weather and some nice suede zips.

Usually in rotation but the vans are the typical go-to. Chucks are on their last legs as are the SB dunks. Runners for running (rarely).

Probably going to retire the dunks as they are about 7 years old at this point and smell funky. Could really use some low tops i think because the only lows I actually wear are my fuzzy Cons.
Debating between Nike Cortez, Superstars and slipons. Also could use a nice pair of sandals during warmer weather.

trichomatic

Postby MxmHrpr » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:13 am

What "suede zips" are those? @trichomatic

MxmHrpr

Postby trichomatic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:59 am

yep they be soph

trichomatic

Postby cdghomoplus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:19 pm

i am not called homo plus for nothing, although relatively young and new to fashion i have happened to be lucky enough to own some pretty cool comme des garcons and related pieces here are some of them

cdghomoplus

Postby bels » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:33 am

Thursday is the only day where I'm not going to the gym/playing tennis/riding my bike a lot so I had carte blanche to get dressed this morning. I was also feeling crappy so didn't feel like putting on the uniform. (xpost to no cop but is it really OK to, when you're feeling bad, want to wear nicer clothes than normal? Why not invest in a method of feeling better that's free? I don't know but whatever)

After getting dressed I realised with the exception of my shirt (Uniqlo +J re release) everything I was wearing was easily over a year old and a lot of them were some of my favourite things I owned. So:

Aspesi M65. Bought for #125 on 09/07/2012
One of the first "fashion" things I ever bought and one of the best ever. The outer is super microft which is a Japanese softshell I think. It's never wet through on me. The lining is one of the thermore fills that are meant to adjust the amount they insulate depending on the weather. Anecdotal evidence from me suggests that it does actually work. Five pockets (used to be six but I cut away the inner mesh glove pocket because it was grating away at my knits) for the storage of almost everything I could need.

It's "just a dark blue m65" really which you can get from GAP if you want but if something happened to this one I'd buy another Aspesi at retail without skipping a beat. Small details like the chunkiness of the zippers (salmi) and the fleecy lining on the inside of the hip pockets set it apart, as well as the silhouette and patterning. It has become a pleasure to pull it out of my war chest every winter. I can't think of a time I've ever worn it and felt like it was the wrong jacket.

Cos Wool Trousers. Bought for #38 on 13/01/1994
Dark blue (nearly black) trousers that are generally too warm for me, but on cold days they're great. Flat fronted and quite a textured wool. There's a poly blend in there which apparently makes them machine washable too. I was a bit surprised they still fit me but I think they were slightly too big when I bought them. They fit fine without a belt now though. These days I maybe would have hemmed them with a bit of a fuller break but I'm not really bothered. Clean breaks are fine. Could do with a lint rolling though...

Barker Black Derbies. Bought for #27 on 30/12/2012
I always say that these are half a size too big for me, and they are but I still keep wearing them all the time. Dainite sole means they work in all conditions. Like slightly more refined docs. I don't have the strength to do the kind of hardcore ebaying that I did to get them these days but I'd do it again if I had to. It's hard to quantify the proportions that make a shoe last visually pleasing (and it's woefully subjective) but there's something about a well structured derby that I really like. The shape on these is as great as any I've ever seen. People sometimes think they're Alden and frankly I couldn't account for the differences in last.

Don't know why people don't talk more about Barker. Probably because they have some dicey lines that show up in shops (like Loake and Grenson).

Cos Merino Silk Jumper. Bought before January 1994
Couldn't find an email receipt for this one but first photo proof of it dates it as before 1994. Maybe one of my rare in store purchases? It's a merino/silk blend which doesn't really come across in the photos well but has a melange effect and a sheen to it. Very thin which suits me as I'm always warm. Sometimes you can see the outline of buttons and things through it which is a bit annoying. I think that's because it's a bit too small for me these days but I'd never get rid of it because it's too useful for when I need to look like a nerd.

Addendum: Here is me wearing many of these items in 2014

bels
Yung Winona

Postby weqe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:54 pm

the full collection of bare-breasted screenprints

preme

death grips

phantogram

[{[*#~&< /BLEH |BLEH| BLEH\ >&~#*]}]
weqe

Postby can- » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:05 pm

I need 2 pair

can-

Postby Eddie » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:14 pm

things bought/owned/sold
ct doesnt let me post bigger but

Eddie

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:00 pm

is there any distinction between what is still owned and what is gone?

mc-lunar

Postby saveed_samir » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 am

shots fired

saveed_samir

Postby mellownyellow » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm packing for a move, and have decided to share my heel collection with you all as I pack them up. Shoes are by far my favorite items when it comes to fashion, and especially heels appeal to me as they are often beautiful, architectural objects. This love affair started long ago, before I really did fashion and I was just a wee teen (not of the Jarvis variety), and today I'll share with you the heels I have right now. I've accompanied them with a little story about a special occasion I wore them on - it's so cool to realise how many memories you can dig up when you focus on details like what shoes you were wearing. I've only kept a couple of significant pairs over the years, as I've purged a fair few (rip red pointed toe kitten heels with the studded nose, yes that was all in one shoe), but without further ado: ~*~* mellow's party heels and better heels *~*~. Images in spoilers!

Brand: Unknown
Year: somewhere around 2007 (YES ALMOST A DECADE AGO)
Story: My mom actually bought these heels and wore them for a bit before I was allowed to touch them. I remember being in love with the tortoiseshell finish and the stiletto heel. I wore these to my graduation - high school graduation that is.

Brand: Bershka (speaks to how old I was when I bought these)
Year: 2009
Story: I've been obsessed with snakes for my entire life, so when I encountered these on a saturday afternoon shopping trip in BERSHKA I knew they were mine. Also, BERSHKA so I knew for sure NO SNAKES WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THE SHOES. I wore them to shreds, most notably to The Worst Date I've Ever Been On (not that I've been on that many dates, but suffice to say that it was Bad). Also worn to my best friend's 19th birthday with holed up jeans and a white button down (2009 whatsup)

Brand: Zara (lots of Zara party heels in this post, I was rreeaaalll fond of them for a while)
Year: 2011
Story: These were favorites of mine for a longggggg time. I bought them in Madeira, while visiting my grandparents there (and of course went to Zara to shop even if it had the same stuff as back home). They subsequently sat in my closet for months - when I bought these I realised that heels didn't have that much of a place in my wardrobe anymore. I wore them to 2011 christmas and NYE parties - both open bar, so a fair amount of stains on them. I remember being absolutely in love with the huge platform and the shape of the heel - now it just looks dated.

Brand: Zara
Year: 2012
Story & special occasion worn: So for my birthday in 2011 I got a black suede version of these shoes (my first profashional shoes), and I really liked the round toe and the fact that it had no platform, so imagine my excitement when I came across them in SNAKESKIN during early 2012 sales. INSTACOP. These shoes sparked a lot of black-outfit-with-statement-shoes fits - not sure how I feel about that now. I don't own the black ones anymore - wore them to shreds long ago, but they were most notably worn to my bachelor graduation.

Brand: Zara (i told you)
Story & special occasion worn: I wanted a low heel that was interesting that I could wear to work, but these turned out to be monstrously uncomfortable. Wore them to a couple of weddings where I was sure there would be seating. I don't know why I keep them.

Brand: Zara
Story & special occasion worn: These were my favorites for the longest time. I bought them during a time where I felt very inspired by Rihanna (and made questionable hair decisions). Worn very often and I'm still fond of them, though I can't think of any special occasions.

Brand: Zara (last ones, I promise)
Story & special occasion worn: I loooooved these and bought them as a birthday present for myself. I dislike the gold heel a fair bit now, but still love the cut of the front strap. Most notably worn on NYE 2012, and worn often to special occasions surrounding 2012 holiday season. Also wore them to my 22nd birthday party.

Brand: Zara (I lied, sorry)
Year: 2013
Story: I became disillusioned with heels around the time I bought these - party shoes really didn't have a place in my life anymore (goodbye college!). I haven't worn them much though, mostly because they don't often seem to work with my fits? I still genuinely love the round toe with the square cut though. I'm also pretty sure these are the last Zara shoes I bought.

Brand: New Look
Year: 2014
Story: I bought these on a whim during a ~ minimalist aesthetics ~ phase. They worked well when I needed a simple shoe I could bike with and walk in and I still wear them on occasion.

Brand: Chanel
Story: My first designer shoes ~*~*~ These were bought secondhand, one of my first purchases off the local ebay/craigslist alternative, when I was first experimenting with buying things from there. No regrets whatsoever - I've worn them on every formal occasion I've had since.

Brand: See by Chloe
Story: Bought these on deep deep sale when I local retailer was closing down - they are adorable and have little star cut outs in the suede. They are really fun, but suede is hard to wear since it's always raining here.

Brand: COS
Year: 2015
Story: Also bought these off the local ebay/craigslist, mostly to have a bizcas shoe that was office appropriate. Still one of my favorite casual heels, and they are comfortable too! I've worn them to work a ton, so they are due a cobbler visit.

Brand: Maison Martin Margiela
Year: 2016
Story: Got these for christmas from current bae - top present I've gotten as I had been lusting after them for MONTHS, and top addition to my heels collection!

And that was the end of it! It was funny seeing all of these at once - seeing how my purchases became more practical, how I started veering into more adventurous fashion territory, but also some evidence of past trends (studs, stilettos, peep toes). Holding on to these shoes isn't the most practical thing, but it's just so fun! Let's see everyone else's shoes!

mellownyellow

Postby bels » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:12 am

Every morning Mellow wakes up and looks at her shoe collection, trying to decide what to wear.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:48 pm

Marie Kondo says put all the clothes out at once to help you decide

Black bag is things to donate, piled clothes are clothes to sell

william feels like he went too easy on me because my war chest is still basically two wardrobes worth of clothes:

But it feels to me that we cut away a lot of items! I think he mainly felt sorry for me because my clothes were so boring that whenever I had something vaguely exciting he felt I ought to keep it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 am

Thoughts since curating my wardrobe:

My wardrobe goes in about four or five different directions, which isn't conducive to having a small or cohesive wardrobe.

I'm obsessed with having the "perfectly correct" outfit for every situation rather than just wearing whatever I want.

Iliam says that the majority of my wardrobe makes me look "like a rich guy" rather than "an artist" which is a classic life destroying iliam burn.

He also revealed his IGNORANCE about subjective aesthetics by trying to claim that my miu miu anorak is too short (it's NOT)

I got rid of my kim jumbro archive except for the diagonal jumper (which was the best piece anyway)

I could probably thin down further by reducing the amount of first date clothing I have and/or removing the british heritagewear portion of my wardrobe.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:14 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:34 pm

maj

Postby maj » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm

maj

Postby can- » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:54 pm

I think the anorak is very nice. I actually didn't know miu miu made a child's collection

can-

Postby can- » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:55 pm

can-

Postby maj » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:07 am

after putting it off for a year or so i finally "archived" all my jackets to date, it has been a fun process and really nice to see them all out and up.

a few of them will probably go to new homes (if u guys buy them and i can get other the fomo when losing them) as they bregrudgingly dont fit as i wish.

really great exp and i'll probably add other photos of jackets to the mix now.

https://www.instagram.com/coat_crusader/?hl=en

maj

Postby nope » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:12 am

This is a great thread, thought I would contribute.

A few years ago I started buying clothes by Jan-Jan Van Essche (there's a thread for him here but it's a bit empty, sadly). These days it's probably about 90% of what I wear and I'm slowly getting rid of most of the rest of my wardrobe. All his clothes have a very vague concept of sizing, so I don't even have to look at measurements any more. I just get medium in everything and assume that however absurdly voluminous that ends up being is probably what he had in mind. The fabrics are always amazing, and the clothes are always comfortable and simple, while having super cool construction details with minimal pattern pieces. I'm pretty content.

I don't have anywhere in my flat large enough to take a photo of them all (and my terrible phone camera would make the exercise pointless anyway), so in honour of the forum here's some tags instead:

Sadly missing because I bought it second hand: 1 x collection#3 (SS13)
6 x project#2 (AW14)
9 x collection#5 (SS15)
10 x project#3 (AW15)
8 x collection#6 (SS16)

EDIT
: Maybe. You won't be able to see shit though.
: I'm slightly hampered by my truly dire camera options but I would like to. I'll try and put some stuff on the JJVE thread, as this one seems to be more about collections as a whole.

nope

Postby bels » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:58 am

Maharishi collection. Could do with more tops / outerwear maybe. The cool part is almost all of it is second hand and cost sweet fuck all.

bels
Yung Winona

PreviousNext

Return to Tags