[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - I don't know what I want (Buyer's guide)

I don't know what I want (Buyer's guide)

Clothes

Re: Opportunity Costs

Postby midvh » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Thoughts on these?

midvh

Postby hooplah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:35 pm

i think i like them, is the grain of the sole showing through the stain? can't tell, I'm on my phone

do you have a top-down view of the toe box

jaysus this site is a pain in the ass on mobile

hooplah

Postby bels » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:59 am

I dunno midvh. That kind of boot really lives and dies on the type of trouser you wear with it and the shape of the toebox. Hard to say how it'd look from here.

That said, I am a little biased against "leather wellington sock" type boots.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:54 am

How odd, I also call these types of boots 'leather socks'. I'm not a fan, although they can be really comfy.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby maj » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 pm

http://www.bagjackshop.com/classics/arr ... arz/a-595/

cop freeze is in jeopardy i don't know how to feel, my 'oh shit it's what i wanted but a 1/4r of the price so i'm practically making money' sense is ringing

maj

Postby bels » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:08 am

Also considering as a bike luggage option.

I'm assuming messenger bags are actually OK to ride a bike with (unlike backpacks which get mad sweaty) ?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby odradek » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:23 am

no, they'll both get mad sweaty. if you're looking to not be sweaty, pannier bags are best. if you're looking to carry massive amounts of stuff you need to move around quickly, messenger bag is best. if you're spending as much time off the bike as you are on, backpack is best. airflow through back is easier to get on a backpack than a messenger bag.

basically, messenger bags are shit in most ways but they're great for getting stuff into and out of while you're moving.

odradek

Postby Syeknom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:29 pm

This is so very, very tempting but I really can't justify any more light jackets (especially more in green/brown!) when I have other things that require more immediate attention.

Last edited by Syeknom on Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syeknom

Postby ramseames » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:35 pm

That seems like the sort of thing you'd seriously regret passing on in 6 months.

Seconding panniers as the ideal option for on the bike. Riding with anything on your back sucks and unless you have a really smart pack like a deuter or something else designed to keep your back exposed you'll sweat a lot.

ramseames

Postby Syeknom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Regret and I are good friends

Syeknom

Postby JCM » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:16 am

JCM

Postby can- » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I keep coming back to the ll bean town and field blazer

it's likely not perfect in fit and details but it gets close to this idea of a modeless [BLAZER], or in another sense a capital B Blazer (to speak in terms of tokens, types and forms). it's not navy because a navy blazer is so american, it's details aren't one way or another to speak too loudly to trends (it's not a 70s broad peak lapel or a 2005 skinny suit. I don't want to fall into the trap of mistaking trend as timeless, but it looks to me like a jacket you could probably find a dozen times in the last 70 years). it's something that will have a pretty similar message no matter where you are in the world (at least, in all airports across the world)

another airport jacket I have in my mind is something in the same color and fabric, but a little longer with a zip and button closure. it could have 1-4 quietly pleated pockets on the front, but importantly hand warmer pockets somewhere to rest your hands while u wait in line. the collar could be a lot of things: less military than a stand collar, less formal than a notch lapel. the yohji jacket syeknom posted could be a good riff on the same theme. the only thing I've found like this is a NdG jacket but I could never find photos of it on the net.

I really enjoy dressing for the airport, or any kind of travel. it's an extension of the independence and freedom I enjoy when it travel alone- travel is usually a stressful or at least involved act for people, so the last thing on their mind is paying attention to other travelers. airports are also very multicultural or cultureless spaces, and people travel for a million different reasons. all of this means there's no one to pander to, and I can dress however I want to. the only requirement is a bunch of pockets which are enjoyable to use.

can-

Postby bels » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:49 pm

Khaki such a wack blazer colour though. I think navy or grey would be better. Khaki shows up dirt too easily in my mind.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 am

ben I totally get where you're at with this. I've found that my universal works cotton blazer ends up filling that same role whenever I travel - it's so easy and the big patch pockets and slouchy fit/construction make it very comfy to slug around stations/tubes/airports/whatever.

Feel like patch pockets are a good way forward for travel jackets as you can quickly stuff anything non-important in them. Good inside jacket pockets are essential too for tickets etc. Bellows pockets on the outside are good for stuffing full of bits and pieces for the plane.

I love travelling alone and totally get the dressing for it part - I just wish I didn't sweat so badly when travelling and dragging luggage around.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:29 am

Engineered garments seem like they'd make good travel jackets.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm

It pains me to put this up here, but I am a pretty solid size 9 UK and I'm having some boots MTM this week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christopher-N ... 3f2a30f08d

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby RycePooding » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:20 pm

Bobbin I love you.

RycePooding

Postby bels » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Still looking for a black parka. Not super set on the Acne Vancouver because although it's mega sweet it's also vast and probably too warm for England if I'm not going to be standing around outside waiting for a bus. Think that this MHI one might fit the bill though:

http://www.dpmhi.com/product/Maharishi_ ... 394_1.html

Suspect ben will take umbrage at that hood though.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 am

Cos Sale is on - sadly no sign of anything I had my eye on... yet

http://www.cosstores.com/Shop/Men/Sale

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby smiles » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:49 am

i really want this acne leather jacket. the leather is nice and its just really cool looking. 1500usd price tag is not cool though.

got the hat though.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby bels » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:55 am

Recent purchase. Wanted to buy some super advanced TEFAL storm trooper one but it was near two hundo and the ironing board necessary to support it would be another 70.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 am

I haven't ironed since '03.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby bels » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:59 pm

All I care about is parkas. This one from v avenue shoe repair.

Bela parka rules:

Black, Navy or grey.

No fur trim.

No buttons.

Long as possible.

Zip out liner a pluss.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Bela on a mission.

(dark brown but looks blackish in the photos)

Pity isn't available - it's gorgeous

Syeknom

Postby can- » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:32 pm

Bela I am in the same boat as you. looking for a black thigh length coat, has to have hand warmer pockets and not too much else.

really into this givenchy jacket

can-

Postby starfox64 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:44 am

someone buy this. it's size 2

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby RycePooding » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:46 am

Don't know how much I'd wear this but boy do I love it.

RycePooding

Postby starfox64 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48 am

cameron what was retail pricing on ndg stuff like

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby starfox64 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:50 am

also odradek should buy this

starfox64

Postby fechner » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm thinking of getting this down coat from uniqlo for winter
I really like longer down coats in fits like this

fechner

PreviousNext

Return to Tags