[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - I don't know what I want (Buyer's guide)

I don't know what I want (Buyer's guide)

Clothes

Re: I don't know what I want (Buyer's guide)

Postby adiabatic » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:53 pm

I don't wear hats, generally. If I'm wearing a hat it's usually to keep the sun off my head and face and neck. The last time I wore a hat that covered just the front I was wearing over-the-head ear protection as well, and this was several years ago.

So why do I want ?

Is it because I like khaki everything? I like their wallets, but that can't be pushing me over the edge…

On a related note, should I get it?

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby Copeland » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:47 pm

What do ripple soles really go with? I don't have anything super hip. Would they look weird in an office setting? With more conservative clothing? Thick soles are cool and practical for winter, but does it feel weird to walk on platforms all the time if height isn't a concern?

Anns:

I like a good piece of worsted wool as much as the next person, but is Frank Leder too 18th Century German Peasant? I feel weird looking at it. Why is their outerwear so cheap compared to their knits/shirts?

Copeland

Postby can- » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:48 pm

i dont think either of those items will really stand out to people who aren't savvy about ripple sole shoes or 18th century german workwear.

can-

Postby swampblood » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:12 pm

Any recommendations for black wool trousers, probably on slimmer side. Decent possibility they'll be used in a professional office environment as well as casually.

Edit: Budget probably around $200 , most likely gonna wait until post xmas sales.

Last edited by swampblood on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swampblood

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:23 pm

How do bape manhunts fit? I've heard size down, like wallabees? @japanesedesigners crew

BIGBEE

Postby Ques » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm

i stupidly lost my beloved our legacy boiled wool scarf in a beijing movie theater last year (contact me if found), but luckily at that point we'd already braved the winter together. now it's getting cold again and I'm realizing just how important having a warm quality scarf is so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. this was my old baby:

willing to spend a pretty penny as anything touching my neck I want to feel very expensive and high quality and not be itchy, but also looking for fun yet subdued design that can pare with most things so it's a one-size-fits-all situation.. any recommendations?

Ques

Postby Cowboy » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi Carefriends!

I'm in the market for a nice, solid pullover hoodie. Maybe a cool logo? Reigning Champ and such seem fine but what interesting things have you seen?

Thank you!

Cowboy

Postby sunblam » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:04 am

Yo friends, looking for a new black crew neck cashmere sweater. As plain as possible. Wanted to go Uniqlo, but they aren't doing a crew neck of 100% cashmere right now. I feel like this shouldn't be hard to find, but I honestly haven't seen anything as simple as I want yet that wasn't also $400.

Ideas would be welcomed! I know this is sort of a boring piece to be searching for! I am sorry! I love you!

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby hirokinakamura » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:50 pm

$250 USD

100% cashmere

Made in England

The Loopwheel Lord, King of Sweatshirts, and consummate Watch Snob
hirokinakamura

Postby sunblam » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 pm

Ah! Thank you! Unfortunately, they do not have something equivalent in their women's section, and since I Am Not Male™ I don't believe this would fit in the shoulders or waist.

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby hirokinakamura » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:19 pm

I figured it was unisex enough, alas I was wrong.

they do have a

the colour is called "ebony", but i honestly can't tell if it's supposed to be black or not.

The Loopwheel Lord, King of Sweatshirts, and consummate Watch Snob
hirokinakamura

Postby sunblam » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:10 am

YES GOOD THANK YOU. Although now there are more things that I want to buy from them that aren't quite as practical...also I would like this Christmas goat to be my friend.

Muji is sadly also without a women's black cashmere crewneck. I love Howlin, but they're all wool and I am allergic to normal wool so alas it can never be. Considering Everlane.

Yeah, I'm kinda considering ll beanz. I'm so ready to look like a mom.

Thank you so much, everyone!!!

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:59 pm

gf loves look 3. i can see its cool but also think it looks a mess- and that one just shouldn't spend that much on something thats prob gonna look sort of silly in a few years?

https://www.celine.com/en/collections/s ... r/look-3-1

pirxthepilot

Postby pirxthepilot » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:47 pm

its a beautiful colour and much less aggressive looking (on her at least) than that picture would suggest, waist/open quarters not so extreme. think she will get it anyway so id better learn to like it

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:55 pm

What would you really do if we all said it looked horrible pirx?

"Ah dear, yes, about the Celine suit y'see I'm on this web forum, and the people on there didn't- oh they're.. mostly about 19... yes 19 year old boys.. anyway they didn't think that.. well they aren't all 19, one of them is 30, I know that, he thought it was fine but the rest of them just felt... yes no I know you're a grown woman who can buy Celine at retail but umm the people I asked... yes these 19 year olds... well they just thought it might look a bit silly in a few years..."

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:38 am

eh wasn't asking in a 'should she buy' way, more interested in whether my very conventional sense of how tailoring should work has any relevance at all to something whose entire raison d'etre is to look 'cool'. and surely the answer is no. ( vachement, ccp, 'archival' margiela, ive even seen stuff from savile row guys like davide taub and edward sexton that approach similar levels of stylization albeit in a more codified way). and thats before you get to 1000 beloved japanese designers whose clothes dont fit at all by any conventional western suiting metric. so im a bit surprised the teen consensus is with me.
possible wgsn style conclusion: internet teens r pretty conventional, outside their normative groupthink-sanctioned sense of what constitutes 'unconventional'. (can somebody give me some money for this pls)

Last edited by pirxthepilot on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
pirxthepilot

Postby nope » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:16 am

Key millennial demographic thinks aggressive tailoring a flash in the pan: favours conventional western suiting. A box logo hoodie for example.

nope

Postby soz » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:53 pm

A nice cap w/ ear flaps, on the techy side but not so much that I look like I'm on my D of E.

soz

Postby oucho » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Not all aggressive tailoring is exactly the same thing, that Céline look feels very similar to what vachement are doing right now, in my opinion. I feel like the vachement look and way of designing is quite gimmicky and nostalgic, it definitely feels to me like what they are doing will be short-lived. The reason vachement has blown up so quickly is because they are tapping into pre-existing ideas that haven't been around for a minute and doing a slight twist on it and I don't think that has too much longevity, same thing with what Gucci is doing now.

This is the direction that tailoring is headed longer term:

oucho

Postby Vaeltaja » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:39 am

Are merino shirts more opaque than cotton shirts, generally speaking? Where should I go to look for merino dress shirts (white)?

edit: I've since been told this is not doable. I have seen starkly white, wool shirts before, so I guess this is a merino-only issue?

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby bels » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:34 am

It's a wool issue, unless you can bleach the wool white to can't get it any whiter than natural wool colour

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Julio » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:56 am

late pass on the celine suit discussion:

i'm probably among the people who thinks it may not age well JUST because the extremity of the tailoring makes me think of it as some kind of zoot suit reinterpretation
BUT it also looks incredibly cool in my opinion, and the color is lovely. there's also the question of how it sits on someone of different proportions, so there's a lot of room for flex

and tbh i don't see how your girlfriend wearing things you may not necessarily be into is any kind of a problem (and this is problematic because it's not like you said it would be, and isn't it her money & her purchasing power paying for the suit anyway? where does your concern factor in?) & i mean, significant others aren't obliged to like what the other is wearing just because you're in a relationship; etc etc etc, and this obviously runs in both directions imo.

and then it turns into some weird discussion on emotions/love/feelings in general and maybe that best goes in feelings thread
if i may say, though: being in love is nice (exposing my inner sap here) in that i personally feel my girlfriend could show up in a garbage bag and i'd still be floored and consider it god tier wifey boo jawnz. so. iunno. i'm pretty sure it can't be that bad at the end of the day

Julio

Postby dakaf_fal » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 pm

Is anyone familiar with the shoe brand Trippen? It's a German shoe brand focused on sustainability and rethinking traditional shoe construction. They make some really interesting shoes that look vaguely uncool in really cool way, seem to be very popular in Japan, and have apparently collaborated with Issey Miyake. I'm intrigued, and am definitely considering a pair.

dakaf_fal

Postby bleeker » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 am

Some of those remind me of & may have been influenced by Haferlschuhe (also known as Trachten shoes), the shoe traditionally worn with lederhosen in an Oktoberfest-like outfit. The Trippens are slimmed down well though & I can see them working well with your style

bleeker

Postby pirxthepilot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:36 pm

how do those marg howell saddleneck crews run? tts? (i usually size down for shirts/jackets)

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:44 pm

I had an S and was never happy with how it fitted, I'd get an M if I was you.

I didn't find mine incredibly compelling and wouldn't buy another unless it was at a good discount.

EDIT: They look/feel a bit better than marks and spencers (wealth projection via interesting textures) but I confused Oucho's uniqlo boiled wool (out of stock) joint with one so you can get cheaper options

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Copeland » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Copeland

Postby oucho » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:21 pm

oucho

Postby bels » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:22 pm

I think everything piles, at least my margaret jumper had loads of piling. I dealt with it with one of those cashmere combs.

Probably the main issue with buying knitwear from uniqlo (i have plenty) is the cost cutting measures that must have lead to the jumper costing a tenth of what margaret is asking for.

People assume you're wearing Margaret because:

a) You seem like the type
and
b) You wear clothes that look like the ones she sells

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bonobonobo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm pretty sure if I bought Virgils off Rak I could tailor my faded Uniqlo washed selvedge I could pass them off as social sculpture denim. Then working off that expectation reach for a nice Jcrew jacket being a vis M-65 and then by association the Uniqlo denim jacket under it being social sculpture. Transforming myself from "guy who bought expensive boots used" into wealthy Visvim god. I'm sure I'm not the first to try this though.

Bonobonobo

PreviousNext

Return to Tags