[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - 350partspermillion - vgtbls depressing eco t shirts thread

350partspermillion - vgtbls depressing eco t shirts thread

Clothes

350partspermillion - vgtbls depressing eco t shirts thread

Postby vgtbls » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:04 pm

I've done a lot of work on this, and now I feel it's complete enough to share.

350partspermillion, or 350ppm, tries to face the future for what it is. The name itself is a commonly agreed safe upper limit of atmospheric carbon dioxide. We're above it. The future is looking quite bad. What do we do? In short, a complete restructuring of the global economy.

I'm making some shirts in the meantime. The shirts aren't the solution. I am, and you are. With each design I'd like to symbolize a radical shift in human-planetary behavior. Something that has happened, is now happening, or will happen. Please humor me with an open ear, and take a deep look at your world.

https://www.facebook.com/350partspermillion
https://twitter.com/350partspermill
http://350ppm.tumblr.com/
https://instagram.com/350partspermillion/
http://350ppm.bigcartel.com/

vgtbls

Re: 350partspermillion - vgtbls depressing eco t shirts thre

Postby vgtbls » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:40 pm

The first design is here, called the Saturn Tee.

The change symbolized in this design is the shift away from carnivorous diets. Every year we kill over 100,000,000,000 animals just to eat. That's 100 billion. The impacts are massive. Methane emitted from agriculture is 80x as powerful a greenhouse gas as carbon dioxide, but luckily has a much shorter lifespan in the atmosphere. This represents a huge potential for keeping our temperature down. You don't need steak, bacon, chicken nuggets, or ice cream. Your grandchildren won't have them.

The shirts used here are Anvil's Here's some reading on Anvil (owned by Gildan) and their environmental practices:
http://www.genuinegildan.com/en/product ... ssessment/
http://www.genuinegildan.com/en/environ ... emissions/
I encourage you to click around and learn more about the industry.
The printing process is DTG, or Direct-To-Garment. It uses water-based inks.

I want this to be an open project. Do you have input? We're here together and everyone's voice matters. The future is uncertain, but honest discourse can light the way. No one person can solve this. Hit me with any and all thoughts.

vgtbls

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:30 pm

I'm first in line.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Yoder » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:23 am

Hey veggie, I wanted to hear your thoughts on promotion of your brand by other people.

While I love the work Story is doing and am a huge fan of all they've accomplished and released, it isn't really something I feel totally ready to share with my facebook friends both because of the more out there patterns and styles, as well as the price range.

OTOH, I feel like at this point it is much easier to say something along the lines of "The environment is important. one of my friends is selling t shirts and promoting awareness. check it out." and help with growth and awareness in that manner.

Here lies my concern however - While I think you are presenting yourself clearly here that you are not trying to be just another dime a dozen kickstarter t shirt brand to make a quick buck, I feel like that might be missed to someone just skimming through who doesn't know you or your ethics.

what do you think the best way to make that clear and express it to people without going into too much detail and losing them?

Yoder

Postby vgtbls » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:39 am

I agree that it can be difficult to "elevator pitch" something you're deeply passionate about. That's a great question.

I wrote a post for my personal FB page that reads: "Hey guys, are you sick and tired of restless nights thinking about the thawing tundra? Angry at politicians for inaction on humanity's greatest crisis? Would a t shirt make you feel a little better? Please check out my pet project."

I'm not sure this distills what 350ppm is about perfectly, but I think it's a relatively good way to begin a conversation (on social media). In terms of what I've found to be marginally effective, I speak a lot about the environment with "gallows humor". Being too preachy is no good. Too many numbers is no good. Simple language is good. Sincerity and subversion are pillars of a lot of my writing.

I'm 100% ok with people using their own words to share. It's great to hear what other people see and communicate. I'd like to present information in a way that encourages thought and participation, but forcing it will yield nothing. If we could force people to think directly and ethically, we'd have solved this problem already. Even if people simply say "haha cool" that might lead them to pass it on to somebody who might engage with it more.

vgtbls

Postby sick boy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:01 am

THERE IS MORE ACTION TO BE DONE TO STOP CLIMATE CHANGE THAN TO WEAR THIS T SHIRT BUT IT'S A GOOD START

sick boy

Postby vgtbls » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:20 pm

The store is active. Please email me at 350partspermillion@gmail.com if you're able to pick these up in person or have any questions. 350ppm.bigcartel.com

Or just PM me I guess.

vgtbls

Postby bels » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:15 pm

What's the sizing like.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:54 pm

I wear a Large.

vgtbls

Postby brlmski » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:00 pm

i keep reading 350 part sperm

brlmski

Postby vgtbls » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 pm

To be clear, there's a price break at a dozen prints. I'll put in an order when I reach 12. I'm eating some costs in shipping but I love you all and don't want to punish you for living far away.

vgtbls

Postby YoungCanoeist » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:01 pm

I like the idea of wearing these shirts as a way to start genuine conversation about the issue. It's a serious reality that we live in and should be talked about more in public.

The first design is excellent and I love that it raises draws attention to a solution. In the future I wanna see a design that calls attention to the social effects of climate change, especially the disproportionate exposure and vulnerability to ecosystem changes and environmental hazards that occur along lines of race, gender, and income (and probably others). A lot of the public climate change conversation is just about the ecosystem changes, and doesn't include the subsequent incredibly real and troubling human effects.

YoungCanoeist

Postby vgtbls » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:31 pm

I've definitely thought up some designs about the social issues, but I don't always feel comfortable speaking on behalf of other people. I'm a white male living pretty comfortably in the Global North, in a city that won't go too far underwater. I really want to strike the right balance.

Specifically, a shirt about climate refugees might be a bit tasteless considering Syria's current crisis. While I do think that displaced persons in the future will be very dire, it's hard to put future suffering on the same table as the present without seeming callous.

Thank you for your post, it's inspiring to hear your kind words and I hope to work something out soon. This crisis will work its way into every facet of our lives and I'm grateful to anyone who can widen my perspective.

vgtbls

Postby YoungCanoeist » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Wow, yeah, excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. It's gotta be really thoughtfully considered.

YoungCanoeist

Postby tomsfood » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:15 pm

Do you have any of saturn devouring sweet potato or green beans? I'm not much of a broccoli fan.

Just kidding, I love it veggies. I'm in for sure!!

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:24 am

In the spirit of this business/thread here is my third favourite T-Shirt of all time. No idea who its by or anything - the tag is washed out and probably just a generic blank T name.

Eco message. Amazing type and excellent illustration. Katy hates it and was unimpressed when I wore it to meet relatives.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby odradek » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:13 pm

semi related, i'd love to see this charb cartoon on a bootleg tee:

odradek

Postby vgtbls » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:37 am

I agree that future suffering, especially given its scale and scientific verification, could be "more" important. The future will be filled with really really hard decisions and maybe it's good to take a look at them now. Sensitivity is important, but it may not save us. Thanks for your viewpoint.

I LOVE IT!!! I'm not sure it's intentional but I noticed that NOXIOUS contains "NOx", one of the most hazardous pollutant groups that cars emit. The slanted type feels extremely dynamic. Saving this picture for flintstone.

I really like bootlegging as a concept to spread ideas, but would like to avoid doing it myself. Maybe I could start a page or feed of artwork/cartoons/etc that lines up with 350's core mission?

vgtbls

Postby vgtbls » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the love you've shown so far. It's really encouraging. I'd like to share periodical updates.

The webstore is up! Payment transfers were initially delayed because of a new account but everything is working smoothly. Please let me know if I can get you a shirt without shipping.

I'm looking into a similar shirt in a WOMEN'S CUT. Sorry for under-serving the global majority.

I've started work on a second product. In the spirit of 350ppm, I'd like to reuse some excellent vintage sweatshirts to screen print on. Made in the USA. Next step is to make sure that I'm buying the right screen printing supplies. I'd love to hear from anyone with knowledge on water-based inks, natural pigments, and low-impact printing.

vgtbls

Postby bels » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:24 pm

I need a sweat for this winter. How long is it going to take you to get them together?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:56 pm

The good news is that the printing will be on my timetable and not an outside company's. I'd say I could probably get them together within two to three weeks?

Just placed the order for screening supplies, ink, and pigment. Excited and mortified!!

vgtbls

Postby bels » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:14 pm

status update req'd

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm

They're finished!

The Fossil Sweat, printed on vintage crewnecks using eco-friendly ink and natural charcoal. I mixed the ink, made the screen, and printed these by myself. The whole process was loads of fun.

I used Matsui 301W ink, a Speedball transparent extender base, and a charcoal pigment made from German vines. No bone char here! The thinking behind this was to prompt thinking about all the forms of carbon that exist. This 350 on your chest is written in carbon. It's everywhere (on earth). No element is bad. When the balance of the carbon cycle is tipped - as we are doing now - the global ecosystem has to settle around the new parameters. With rising carbon dioxide, that means higher temperatures, melting ice, and a dangerous feedback loop that is rendering our only home unfit for life.

I'm unsure how best to release these. My best thought is to drop them for everyone at a widely published time. I have 14 (keeping one for myself), and a lot of people interested. Your thoughts are welcome either in comments here, or e-mailed to 350partspermillion@gmail.com. More will be coming soon.

Below I have linked to an album previewing the options and measurements. The P2P is pit-to-pit, across the front. Sleeve was measured from the back of the collar in the center to the end of the cuff as the crow flies. The length is from the front center of the collar to the hem.

Prices will vary based on condition. I washed all of these but didn't treat them intensely. I'd love to see anyone cut off sleeves, dip dye, make it your own in any way!

Other news:

Saturn tees are in hand! I have shipping supplies and will be mailing these out. If your shipping address has changed since ordering, contact me ASAP! I sent an e-mail to you but obviously can't enforce responses.

Additional designs are in the works. I'm sorry I haven't addressed women's cuts yet. The blanks may be more expensive, as the prevailing option seems to be American Apparel. I won't launch another tee without figuring it out.

vgtbls

Postby WussWayne » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:58 pm

For some reason I thought this was a thread about the Japanese clothing brand 350rpm with a whacky ct title

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby vgtbls » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:11 pm

I've put the first batch of sweatshirts on the webshop. If you don't need them shipped, PLEASE contact me directly. If you'd rather use PayPal (it helps me out too), please send the appropriate amount to 350partspermillion@gmail.com. I'm going to honor orders as they come in, but don't fret! More are coming soon.

http://imgur.com/a/OGWya
http://350ppm.bigcartel.com/

PS: First run of Saturn Tees are shipped. Halfway to the next dozen. Buy a tee and save!

vgtbls

Postby tomsfood » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:17 pm

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby vgtbls » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:37 pm

It's so wonderful to see orders are coming in. I'd love to hear any and all feedback related to the products, the service, anything! One friend of mine doesn't love the fit, and if that's a widespread sentiment I want to change it. Choosing products with ethical considerations should never be a step down from normal.

As such I'm at 9 orders for the next batch of Saturn Tees. If nothing moves by tomorrow, I'm going to round out the order with a Small, Medium, and Large to have on hand.

I shipped out 6 Fossil Sweats today. A lot of colors still remain, and I'm printing more very soon! It's tough to get the time to do everything, but it's rewarding when you have great customers. Thanks guys. :^)

vgtbls

Postby Stingray Sam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:55 pm

do you have any nifty social media accounts or hashtags we can use to promote your eco-garms?

Stingray Sam

Postby tomsfood » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:06 pm

i saw "vintage" and "size large" and I assumed it would be big...always check measurements kids :(

at least my little sister now has a chic and environmentally conscious sweatshirt!!

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby vgtbls » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:26 pm

D:

I have some great ones in bigger sizes I have yet to print. Sorry for the mixups. I hope your sister enjoys the sweatshirt!

In the first post I've got my instagram and Facebook, those two accounts are the most widely used. I've been very inconsistent with hashtagging but I'll start tracking #350ppm and using it more!

vgtbls

Next

Return to Tags