[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Like Our Fathers Clothes

Like Our Fathers Clothes

Clothes

Like Our Fathers Clothes

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:56 am

Idea: (May sound pretentious/overdone, but I wouldn't post if I hadn't put some thought into it. This was originally going to just be a Yohji thread, but I decided to expand it.)

For many people leaving the community in which they've always lived to strike out on their own, it's a time to test themselves agains the world. I believe this is often reflected in the search for a perfect fit. People want their clothes to fit like a second skin, to be close, to show the body and the personality underneath. The clothes are a direct output of the person in them because they're displaying themselves in their position with the world.

When one wears oversized clothing, it is no longer directly against the skin. Your body doesn't inform the shape of the clothes. Instead, there is space for all sorts of wonderful things and contexts. For a lot of people this space is filled with familial affection, as they usually wore clothes too big for them when they were passed down from siblings or lent by parents. For some, as with the designs of Yohji Yamamoto, it can function as armor, an extra layer of space between observer and observed. Rather than pitting one's self against the world for better or worse, they are removed, functioning within their own sphere.

To make it much simpler: I like comfy stuff. It makes me smile. It feels nice against my skin and within my mind and heart. This is a thread for anything comfy or oversized. Clothes that you can wear from bed to couch to bed. Any articles of clothing that illicit that warm reaction of safety and contentment.

UnwashedMolasses

Re: Like Our Fathers Clothes

Postby b4my » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:04 am

I think there's a funny association between extremely skinny looking cool and extremely baggy looking cool. Skinny, as exemplified by Hedi-era Dior, Renton from Trainspotting, etc. is this very sort of angular, sharp, sneer-y sort of cool. Baggy, as exemplified by Yohji, some Visvim, 2000s rappers, is this very lackadaisical, confident sort of cool. Both say "I don't care what you think of me" but in very different ways.

I don't know what that difference is exactly so here are some pictures of ben'ron looking awesome.

b4my

Postby RycePooding » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

EDIT: can someone find that first pic I put up?

RycePooding

Postby germinal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:56 pm

germinal
Garminlad

Postby hirokinakamura » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:19 pm

are those pics of your daughters germinal

i didnt know you had kids

The Loopwheel Lord, King of Sweatshirts, and consummate Watch Snob
hirokinakamura

Postby BobbyZamora » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:15 am

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby suubz » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:19 am

suubz

Postby bels » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:52 pm

bumping this thread using psychic mind powers

bels
Yung Winona

Postby yubbermax » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:16 pm

Julius FW15

yubbermax

Postby creepinatshirtt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:47 pm

Oh fuck yes. This is my kinda thread. Dumping inspo(lots of Zachary Cole Smith incoming).I really love loose-billowy clothing. Clothes that just flow in the wind. Theres something relaxing about it( probably it being oversized and looking really comfy lmao), but also theres something really beautiful in it as well.

creepinatshirtt

Postby bels » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:36 am

Change thread title to like our mother's clothes.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ervhio » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:16 pm

Fantastic thread.

Not sure where half of this stuff is from, but it's basically my inspo folder - muted colors and ample cuts.

ervhio

Postby popcorn » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 am

avid supporter of the "big pants != comfortable pants" movement here
imo comfort is a function of three variables
- material stretch
- material feel
- fit/taper
two of those are concrete, one is opinion

anyway, pics

(this is one of my favorite pics)

popcorn

Postby ervhio » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:56 am

I agree - I think after a certain point, bagginess doesn't translate to more comfortability. Skinny pants are often less comfortable (to varying degrees based on fabric), but I think your last pic there is about where bagginess stops feeling better and becomes more of an aesthetic choice, fabric variables held constant.

ervhio

Postby yoyobeat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 am

<redacted found image>

To add to the above, I totally agree that comfy looking doesn't necessarily mean comfy for everyone. I am strongly considering selling my 2 pairs of non-drawstring Yohji pants because keeping them up with a belt is frankly less comfortable for me than, say, my pair of Brooks Bros corduroys that fit me properly at the waist. Even though the Yohji fabric is nicer and feels better against my skin, I don't find them more comfortable on the whole, and am not willing to commit to suspenders.

yoyobeat

Return to Tags