[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - French Workwear

French Workwear

Clothes

French Workwear

Postby germinal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:32 pm

I don't know anything about French workwear but maybe someone here does

germinal
Garminlad

Re: French Workwear

Postby can- » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:23 am

tintin is french workwear

the unlined blue chore coat is the definitive fww garment

brands include bleu de paname, french works, old town, arpenteur, some cabourn and some mister freedom amongst others.

can-

Postby Morlin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:14 am

BLURHMS is the fww of today

I think that it is not. Cowichan, etc., If you prefer a thick knit, how about you? It is cool there is atmosphere!
Morlin

Postby Lorcan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:09 am

This tumblr is good for french workwear flintstone (he also has an online shop)

Blue french work jackets are the classic, but I like the black ones too (black was worn by agricultural workers, blue by factory workers).

I also have a soft spot for vintage French fireman's uniforms (c. 1880s-1920s). They look a bit like military uniform but in indigo linen fabric.

There's a current season Dries jacket somewhat inspired by them (whole of Dries AW15 has some fireman's uniform influences with the buckled coats). Also the Visvim lugli which goes as far as to copy the collar embroidery. Actually a lot of recent Visvim pieces are French work wear inspired (travaill, bucky, lugli, pastoral pants, seabee, etc.)

Lorcan

Postby germinal » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:33 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby teck » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:24 pm

the dsm in nyc had a french workwear section with some deadstock workwear jackets, some armour lux shirts and a bunch of gardening equipment. did that happen in the london one too?

teck

Postby trasparenti » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:08 am

Cool thread. There's a huge vintage/repro scene in Japan, obviously, and a bunch of the vintage stores have a kind of coalition called F Street:
http://nagoya.f-street.org/
they all have physical locations and a bunch have blogs/webstores. The selections are all really well curated vintage clothes from the USA/Europe and there's a bunch of French/European workwear including these amazing heavy linen pants from the early 20th century (can be yours for only $100!). Random French pieces from Poem (http://thepoem.exblog.jp/):

Vintage wool military pants

1970s coat

deadstock wrkwr set

big cord work pants

pullover shirt

moleskine overalls

Each store has a p comprehensive selection and there are a ton of these stores, but unlike American vintage/thrift stores nearly everything's fairly expensive. I guess it's cuz there's a lot more work put into sourcing clothes and each piece is in good shape. Still, if you like the workwear look there's a ton of variety to be had. Plus you can get some decent basics for cheap (henleys, sweaters, etc.). Arpenteur, Le Labourer, and other name brands aren't as easy to find but I've seen some deals at unrelated secondhand stores

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby blanket » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:59 am

i reckon the cheapest place to get french workwear is etsy. some stores that generally have good prices:

la samoy
$72.47

beta menswear
$38.00

les chiffonniers (i got a st james shirt from them once :-)
$86.00

and more!

more to come!!

blanket

Postby sknss » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:54 am

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby bels » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:18 am

Cash in The Attic also has very great deals on this kind of thing. Just type "FRENCH WORKWEAR" in on the bar.

Obviously if you're core you'll type in "SWEDISH WORKWEAR"

Love the blue that gets used for all this stuff. Looks like it would go really well with white trainers/t shirts

Last edited by bels on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby rublev » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:14 am

rohmer workwear

rublev
Political Editor

Postby fun_yunchables » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:22 pm

cool shop in la does all kinds of "imagined" vintage, one collection which was french workwear inspired

can browse the collection here
http://www.misterfreedom.com/les-apaches.html

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby trasparenti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:37 am

wasn't my intention to take the focus away from the thread, my bad

I quite like Danton, all the stuff I've handled is real sturdy and cut generously. made in France too
http://image.rakuten.co.jp/fines/cabine ... ex=128x128

Le Glazik also pretty cool
Also: Brut Clothing has a ton of vintage French workers clothes last time I checked
http://brut-clothing.com/vintage-clothi ... age-jacket

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby oucho » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Maurice Pialat's Van Gogh not only has some great French workwear outfits but also illustrates the correct way to live the French workwear life, either as a drunk villager, or as a drunk artist.

oucho

Postby bels » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:23 pm

Let it be known that Swedish Workwear actually looks better if you aren't a literal male model.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:28 am

The latest fire alphets from the HIGHLY elite quickstrike tier0 swedish workwear retailer known as No-Step

IF YOU KNOW WHAT THESE ARE YOU KNOW HOW TO FIND THEM. IF YOU DON'T KNOW BY NOW YOU NEVER WILL.

(I have spoken to the no-cop authority and they've stated it's OK to buy 6.99 swedish workwear wool trousers. Just to see.)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:25 am

I will report back. I guess they're itchy as hell and smell weird but I can only imagine how good the pooling potential of swedish workwear trews is...

looks like they might be unhemmed though which could be annoying..

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

I bought a pair an hour ago, I just wish they were charcoal grey or something, all my swedish workwear is weird colours

oucho

Postby bels » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:25 pm

It all works well together gaucho don't.... worry about it.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

Where that review @ my fellow teen.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:20 am

To my surprise and chagrin the trousers are hemmed and fit cropped on me. The inseam on mine is 75cm, I bought size 32 I think and they are quite tight on my waist, I'm normally size 31.

I think they would look better longer, there is 2-3cm that can be let out but I don't think that's going to be enough so I will probably leave them. The pocket bags are quite stained and it smelt very musty when I got it, I gave it a hand wash to help get rid of the smell but the stains stayed, at least I know it's clean now. The wool is scratchy but perfectly fine to wear, they are warm I guess but my legs never get cold anyway so? The colour is great. The belt loops and fly are cool, you can just see stitching on the outside where numerous spare buttons are attached to the inside waistband. I went to the park and drew flowers in them.

oucho

Postby bels » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:54 am

are the spare buttons spare buttons or suspender attachment points?

I want to make this like an ARG for you where you have to work it out? So I'm going to spoiler the answer but I think you should be able to guess.

Where does bela go...

To look for clothes.

Last edited by bels on Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:14 am

ah they must be suspender attachment buttons, I was wondering about that

oucho

Postby Julio » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:28 am

safe to assume the inside buttons are for suspenders or braces. are they grouped in pairs or something? look good either way

Julio

Postby trasparenti » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:31 am

^^ pants look cool

nother JP by way of France workwear brand. Really impressed with quality and cut though.
Chevre
why are so many French werkwere brands just making stuff for Japan?

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby bels » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:58 pm

Lots of euro brands only make/mostly make stuff for Japan, no?

People in Europe don't really buy clothes? As I understand it?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby prairial » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:37 pm

I've found a few brands recently:

- Nice hats, socks, t-shirts and some hideous zip-up knitwear. Apparently made in Germany but popular in Japan.

Cornish smocks - , - Mainly smocks (who'd of thought?) but glad to see some 'Piratephrenalia' too.

- This is a weird one. Most of it is workwear in the truest sense of the word (hospital scrubs) but some of it looks alright () and seems to be made in England. They also seem to have a higher-end line that's popular in Japan and sold at Union Made.

- Nice 'vêtements de travail'. Not really sure where you can buy it except for in Japan but I know they've made stuff for MHL in the past.

Last edited by prairial on Tue May 22, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prairial

Postby oucho » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:59 am

Every time I open a gardening magazine I see an ad for Carrier Company http://www.carriercompany.co.uk/ . Everything is hand made in Norfolk and apparently it's 'environmentally conscious', also they say they can do customisation: 'this process allows us to remain quality- driven and flexible. Some goods can be made to order which enables us to entertain custom requests- if you want extra long leather handles on a bag or a different colour than is advertised, then we can do it.'

If Maurice Pialat's Van Gogh is the poster boy for French workwear then John Craske must be the face of Norfolk workwear:

John Craske was a Norfolk fisherman who fell ill and turned his hand to painting and embroidery, to start off he would paint on things lying around his house including wooden boxes AND HIS FRONT DOOR. I can't find any photos of him so you'll just have to guess what he looks like from his embroidery.

I feel like Norfolk is a cool place that doesn't get enough rep

oucho

Postby bels » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Craske is deffo jw andersonspo. There's loads of his work in Kettle's Yard, the Cambridge "modern art museum" that JW did one of his resort presentations at.

Old Town is also based in Norfolk for more NorfolkCore offerings.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bonobonobo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:33 pm

Japanese store blog photoshoot extensively showing the hard work you could get done in a pair of Orslow French work pants.

Bonobonobo

Return to Tags