[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - XYZ

XYZ

Clothes

XYZ

Postby trasparenti » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:48 am

eXamine Your Zipper

Zipper talk! Zipper pulls, tabs, deets, probs, info. Post pics of your favorite zips/pulls/fasteners

YKK

probably the most well-known of the branded zips, YKK is a Japanese company that's been the industry standard for decades.

One of their higher-end models, the Lumina is part of the Excella line of high-end zips. I believe it's YKK's answer to RiRi

RiRI

European company that makes expensive, quality zippers. Often seen on luxury garments and gothy brands. Pricey

Talon

American company. I've seen their zips on all kinds of styles of stuff. Japanese brands love vintage Talon zips, like Nonnative and NBHD. I believe they are credited as the first brand to produce the zipper and make it as popular as it is now. Now defunct.

Universal

MIA zips, I believe they're still around. Unrelated with Talon, which was called Universal before changing its name.

Waldes

Another Japanese company. Unlike YKK, I think all of their zips are made in Japan. Very popular with workwear garms

Crown

American company, also defunct. Zippers were suuuuuuper tuff.

Lampo

Euro brand, sometimes (perhaps unfairly) referred to as a lesser RiRi. Still pretty nice, definitely a step above generic YKK

Rey

Spanish company, I think. Lots of simple zippers, nothing too fancy.

IPI

European brand. dunno much about them other than that Prada uses them sometimes.

Lenzip

Strong, custom zippers made in USA. Sometimes seen on Schotts.

Last edited by trasparenti on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Re: XYZ

Postby CMYK » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

Interesting article about the founding of YKK and how their factory is run:

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ ... them_.html

CMYK

Postby trasparenti » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:13 pm

some of my favorite Zipper Moments I have in my 'garm details' folder

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby kyung » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:23 pm

raf (smiling)

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby ramseames » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:41 pm

I like the conmar zips on RC stuff. not super smooth but very solid

ramseames

Postby yourdad » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:23 am

I hate this trend these past couple years to just use RiRi on everything. They're great on smaller things like inner pockets, accessories, and whatnot but I have yet to find anything RiRi zipper work well on something like a jacket. They're just not very smooth when they have to travel a longer length. EDIT: I find this true for both m4 and m6 variants (arguably the most popular choices) but the m8 is a lot better. Not perfect but much better than the other two. I'd also like to say I don't like how small the pull is.

yourdad

Postby Julio » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:08 am

what can people tell me about Ideal zips

Julio

Postby posh_somme » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:42 am

the £135 norse x elka raincoat has riri zips, iirc. the smoothest zip action i have ever had the pleasure of zippin

posh_somme

Postby trasparenti » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:14 pm

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby Julio » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:52 am

yes yes thank you.
i googled after posting and kind of had a "d'oh"moment.
found a pair of trousers at an outlet with ideal zips on the fly and the primary hip pockets (yes i bought them because double front pockets l o l) and i quite like the pulls. the actual action is... kind of coarse? an odd roughness to them, but it feels INCREDIBLY beefy. i quite like.

Julio

Postby bels » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:40 pm

Copper Riri on my harrington:
Salmi double zipper on my M65:
Greatest zipper puls of all time: Maharishi (pull one to find out why)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby trasparenti » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Cornelian Taurus uses these super satisfying chunky leather zipper pulls

also shout out to the Lumina zips
definitely my favorite of all stock zippers I've used. So smooth and the teeth come apart/together so easily. Don't wear much with zippers but the Lumina is a pleasure

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby Vaeltaja » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:21 am

What's the difference between Lumina and Excella?

Anyways...

Riri zips: Got them on Shellac (cargo pocket), Zam Barrett (hoodie), Julius, Odyn Vovk (hoodie). A pleasure to work with, except the Odyns. Those are painful to zip. Yucko.

Lampo: Zam Barrett (hoodie), Diet Butcher Slim Skin (coat). Love them on my DBSS, though they're a bit bumpy. The Zams have since been replaced for Riri since they broke (first outright breakage for me)

Excella: Love. Beginning to fail on my Guidis (boots), but those boots are old as all heck. A love affair on my Devoas (pants, jacket), though.

Standard YKK/Ykk 45 (Julius gasmasks): meh. Whatever. I want something better. It looks and feels small and flimsy compared to the rest of the hardware.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby trasparenti » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:00 am

I thiiiiink Excella refers to the plating process of the zip, whereas Lumina is the type of pull/teeth
When I say Lumina I think of these guys so maybe that's right?

Agreed about YKK and RiRi. RiRi are beautiful and often smooth but I've had a few that were pretty tricky (especially on a Shellac coat with double zips). I mostly find stock YKKs flimsy in comparison to the nicer (Lampo, Lumina)/more utilitarian stuff (Universal, Talon). Most of my nicer clothes with zips seem to have done away with them.

Getting ready to send off an old (1989) pair of CDG pants to my friend - found a neat zipper I've never heard of: Y-ZIP. Pretty smooth, it's nice! Wonder if they went outta biz.

trasparenti
Japanese Correspondent

Postby sick boy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:31 am

true.

sick boy

Return to Tags