[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - ~~ in the industry ~~

~~ in the industry ~~

Clothes

~~ in the industry ~~

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:53 am

BIGBEE

Re: ~~ in the industry ~~

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:57 am

is next another mythical british retailer a la sports direct and primark

I hate working at a mall, don't mind working at the gap itself

BIGBEE

Postby oucho » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:49 am

I guess Next is ultra normcore, but contemporary, real normcore, it's very boring and staid

you could say that it's actually very honest, but I don't think the people who buy it realise that

I did not enjoy working there, I have also worked at Schuh and ODE (an independent store in Brighton)

oucho

Postby pirxthepilot » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:44 am

i worked at joseph, many years ago.
also harvey nichols but got fed up working on shop floor and asked to be on the delivery van, which was actually great. i was a 110lb teen with no practical skills at all (still have none) but we delivered really expensive furniture etc to ppl in beautiful houses who assumed we had a clue what we were doing, it was often like a buster keaton film. this was pre-internet/ computerised inventories etc so was utterly haphazard. a lot of the time we were free to find a quiet spot and read or just roam around the bowels of the building pretending to be busy. the store had an in-house carpenter called michael, an old polish guy who had a studio on the roof with amazing views out over the city, hardly anyone else went up there and he used to keep pigeons. once when we were shifting something together his sleeve rode up to reveal a WWII prison camp number tattoo.

Last edited by pirxthepilot on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
pirxthepilot

Postby maj » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:26 am

maj

Postby eufemism » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:30 am

worked at gap outlet for a few months

fuck that

i hate being forced to talk to people

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby ramseames » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:32 am

What job will you ever have where you don't need to talk to anyone

ramseames

Postby oucho » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:45 am

When I worked at Schuh they had a checklist of things you needed to do whilst serving a customer, tell them your name, help them with any questions, etc. The final task on the checklist was to 'make a special connection with the customer'. I can still remember the store manager telling a group of 17 year old boys looking at Nike trainers that she had a different dinosaur t-shirt for every day of the week.

oucho

Postby vgtbls » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I work for UO, perks are they stock some cool stuff online, the music they play is good, and my coworkers are nice.

Downsides are that I haven't seen my extended family in about a year. Love holidays...

vgtbls

Postby ramdomthought » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:44 pm

you should wear more monitaly vgtbls

ramdomthought

Postby une_impasse » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:04 pm

im glad someone else took the plunge here!!!

anyway, i work at a small luxury boutique in the US, it WAS my dream job but i've found the politics and lack of organization in what is basically a mom and pop store extremely troubling. it's funny because i'm working with rick, yohji, issey pieces but when i have to be around them all day and try to sell and merchandise them, i lose interest in them. it's part of the reason i won't move to new york, i like it too much to actually want to live there.

the more i work there, the more inspired i am to find some fledgling independent boutique or designer and offer them everything i have, the people i idolize are so commonplace i can't give them any more enthusiasm. maybe i'm jaded?

there's a job opening with UO for a trend analyst and i'm very close to applying but applying online sucks and i'm trying to make my resume and CR as perfect as possible so i can finally escape retail. i would love if anyone would like to take a look at my resume for now, i'm trying a different approach to make it stand out from the absolute nightmares i see every day.

une_impasse

Postby YoungCanoeist » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 pm

I used to work at a Lacoste outlet. It was pretty cool; I got a couple nice things real cheap, and I would often go to the back and yelp miscellany as loud as I could. Boss was cool with it. Was fun.

YoungCanoeist

Postby une_impasse » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:36 pm

une_impasse

Postby shyan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:09 pm

uhhhh...my summer job/internship kind of applies

I worked as the Wedidit Records/Mixed Managment intern last summer and 80% of my duties revolved around their online merch which has grown immensely over the years. I guess they're a "streetwear" brand now, not really sure what to classify them as because I feel like they've kind of transcended music tees. Basically worked in a warehouse which was just an office space where I would spend all day filling the few hundred orders we got. I worked with a really cool dude and learned a lot about shopify and running an efficient operation but most of the work was brain numbing. I got paid which was cool.

One regret I have is that I didn't push to be more involved in the actual production. I feel like I could have learned a lot and actually taken away something serious from my summer.

shyan

Postby une_impasse » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:07 am

une_impasse

Postby teck » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:00 am

Right after I graduated I got a job at the Urban Outfitters near campus. I actually hated it. My coworkers were nice but were hardcore career burnouts. The pay was total garbage. Discount was solid though.

When I moved to NYC I worked at a JCrew. I think they thought I was some fresh-faced kid from NYC but I was secretly an almost-30y.o. man pretending to be a fresh-faced kid. Funny enough the pay was also bad but I really really enjoyed the job. My coworkers were generally nice and smart and at the time I really liked the JCrew jizz (I still like the Jcrew "world"). I made some of my first NYC friends there, some of whom still work in retail and make very good salaries as managers.

Then I worked at Bonobos, which was fun in that everyone was nice and hardworking, but the hours were incredibly insane, given that it was a start-up. I sometimes wish I had stayed there because now the company is pretty big and doing interesting things in at least the communication/business space.

Now I'm in advertising so sometimes I'll have a fashion-y client, but I've never worked on a clothing fashion campaign. I have a few friends who are fashion writers/editors/photographers.

I used to really really want to work in fashion but I found out later that a lot of it is political, mean-spirited, and generally full of shit. I've never felt as small as when I hang out with fashion professionals (I have met some nice people, of course). Fashion also has almost zero sense of humor. Fashion is extremely serious business.

*edit: that said I'd probably jump at the chance to work at a fashion ad agency at least for a bit because I'm still a fanboy.

teck

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:16 pm

mc-lunar

Postby shyan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:33 pm

shyan

Return to Tags