[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Toilet Water

Toilet Water

Clothes

Re: Toilet Water

Postby bels » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 am

What are people thinking of for winter?

I imagine some people like the idea of spicy christmassy scents but I've never really connected with Christmas as a concept so I think more of frosty grass, damp soil, fire, fog, darkness, and drizzle.

I guess you can wear stronger scents in winter because.. actually I'm not sure, maybe we should all wear less strong scents in winter.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:07 am

damp soil/grass = guerlain vetiver. my all-time favourite.
i've been wearing le labo bergamot all summer but recently discovered a fairly similar scent i prefer: mugler cologne, which also has a bergamot/orange blossom accord, just done more subtly and with a better drydown. (does anybody else find the drydown of all le labo frags to be generic/disappointing?).
i also enjoyed CDG vettiveru, which is like a lighter version of the guerlain.
now, as you say, it's time for winter frags. TF tobacco vanille today, but i always go back to the guerlain in winter.

Last edited by pirxthepilot on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
pirxthepilot

Postby smiles » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:11 am

CDG wonderwood and Le Labo Oud 27. Will also break out the Penhaligons because it smells like fresh tomato plants – Good for cheering up on a dark day.

I also want the Avignon from cdg incense.

would recommend Aesop's improved Marrakesh. quite nice and woody

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby stappard_ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:04 am

stappard_

Postby stappard_ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:57 am

but how else will people know you're a font designer/international jetsetter unless you smell like one

stappard_

Postby nick » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:08 am

Any ideas to fall frags that are slightly eccentric yet wholly accessible - and decidedly masculine? Enjoy the idea of niche fragrances but don't dig the whole Unisex thing. I like the presence fruity/floral notes but done in a way that does not come off as wearing womens perfume. Dior Homme does this well but I'm looking for something a bit different.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby odradek » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:39 pm

On that cold, dry November day that guns 'n' roses did not sing about, I think I'm gonna be favoring Encense et lavende. It seems to have this weird inversion of flowers by being perfect for a cold dry wind whipping through naked trees. I'm also going to re-up on CDG Zagorsk. I know I gave it what appears to be a scathing review earlier in this thread, and it is a challenging smell (for me), but it's also distinct and evocative and feels like a very specific memory of mine involving patches of snow on the ground. I will also continue to wear Tom Ford Oud Wood when I'm actually not trying to repel people.

odradek

Postby synthese » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 am

synthese

Postby nick » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks for the great reply . By "decidedly masculine" I don't mind abundantly so, I just mean that it smells like a fragrance targeted at men - even if it could even work well on women too.

I'll search out samples of some of your suggestions - though it seems "Midnight in Paris" is at the blind buy level of affordability.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby cheshster » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

So since my clothes are more or less stable I've been getting into fragrances. But I'm still a complete newbie and am about to ask a bunch of probably dumb questions.

I tried a few things from the fragrance guide on MFA, and (since it's autumn) ordered a sampler of autumn scents. So far I like, in roughly descending order: Green Irish Tweed by Creed (but doesn't everyone), L'instant de Guerlain pour Homme, Chergui by Serge Lutens, Thallium by Yves de Sistelle, Burberry Touch, and Bvlgari Pour Homme Soir. The only one I've tried that I really didn't care for was Nautica Voyage.

My nose isn't very sensitive, so I have a lot of trouble discerning more than "I like this" or "I don't like this", and the biggest deciding factor is whether or not my wife likes something.

My big point of confusion with fragrances is that I don't really see what makes different categories distinct. Like, what makes something better for daytime or evening, what's best for one season over another, why is this set of things that sound like they smell nice considered feminine rather than masculine. All of the ones I listed above except for GIT and Chergui are from the autumn sampler I got, and the Chergui definitely seems similar to them. But I don't know what makes them autumnal.

I feel like I could probably happily just wear GIT all year round but, I dunno, it seems too safe? I dress pretty conservatively but I try to put out some weirdness within the constraints of the trad/prep look (I think germinal once described me as "an eccentric professor"). I'd like to find fragrances along the same lines but I don't speak the language at all and I don't even know where to look to start learning.

cheshster

Postby Syeknom » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:24 am

Keen to give this a try

Syeknom

Postby ducksick » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:34 am

As am I, I use a rather cheapish Green Tea scent at the moment, and the description of the Margiela perfume sounds like it should smell reasonably close to Genmaicha!

ducksick

Postby jrisk » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:01 pm

why do some scents (seemingly) only come in EDT? Why not EDP too? I'm looking at BLACK by comme des garcons. I got a sample of the EDT and I really dig it but it doesn't seem like it lasts very long.

jrisk

Postby KLF » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:40 pm

currently alternating between diptyque tam dao and maison louis marie no.4.

KLF

Postby nick » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:06 pm

that fella sold me on Midnight in Paris - got a bottle of the stuff for $23 off a fragrance group on FB - $23!!!
totally worth it but don't really get much out of it rather than vanilla. there's a little bit of a chemical/rubbery smell (dont know what you call this?) when u first apply it, which is kinda cool, but that fades, which is also kinda cool. vanilla is lovely and somehow it still does come off as a mens fragrance (tho would work on women too I reckon) so I'll be wearing it a lot.

still on the lookout for something piney/incensey though perhaps not as ridiculous as CDG zagorsk.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby pei » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:50 pm

:0)
pei

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Anyone have experience with Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab?

http://blackphoenixalchemylab.com/

They had a booth at the last comic convention I went to, but don't remember any of the scents and they have so many, so I don't know what's good to try...

yoyobeat

Postby nick » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:55 pm

from what I can gather (and some personal experience fueled by curiousity!) those etsy-core perfume oil based fragrances just kind of smell like a hodgepodge of cheap head-shop incenses. no thanks - but maybe BPAL is better due to their ubiquity - though I wouldn't bank on it.
if you're on a budget and down to experiment, my recommendation is picking up decants/splits from forums and social media groups. great way to try stuff out / have fun w/ it without leaving burning holes in your pockets.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby pei » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:51 pm

got 2 5ml mini flacons of scents from goest, 'silent films' and 'realism'. at $34 USD these may be a bit pricey but they pack a huge punch even with the slightest drop!

has a really smooth feel to it and it's more of a night scent but i could see it working through days in fall and winter!! it starts off with a sweet minty taste and then becomes a bit more earthy. personally i like this one more than the other one i got lol

is really floral and earthy, then mellows out with the same feel. if you like the smell of rain and crushed leaves, then this is pretty much perfect! feels pretty much like a day scent to me but could be funky fresh for the night.

adding a bottle of silent films atomizer and the sample of the entire collection from goest to my to buy list rn lmao

:0)
pei

Postby chadnik » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:08 pm

ramdom perfume thoughts~

- . hope this doesn't spell bad things...

- on a more positive Le Labo note, I'm enjoying how Rose 31 changes on my skin and becomes fuller, muskier, and less plasticky in the cool air, and how the citrus of Bergamote 22 suddenly becomes too crisp somehow against the chill. probably some of this is conditioning (citrus for summer!!) but I can also definitely smell a difference, too.

- I got a sample of MMM Beach Walk (the Replica scents are at Sephora now (!)) and spritzed it yesterday. was quite dissonant to smell such an intensely summer scent (think sunscreen, white florals, salty tang) in the middle of autumn...

- really want to try some Byredo scents soon. anyone have any favorites by them?

- I have some experience with BPAL, when I was scouting out the perfect rose (Peacock Queen is a lovely full, lush, non-sickly sweet rose fwiw). I recommend buying imps' ears (samples) from BPAL's site (though fair warning, shipping takes f o r e v e r), scouting eBay, or as nick recommended checking out BPAL's non-official but super popular (also super helpful for scent reviews). I am not a BPAL-head by any means and I did not love everything of theirs I happened to sniff, but I didn't find it as etsycore as I had feared.

chadnik

Postby synthese » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Last edited by germinal on Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: apostrophe extermination
synthese

Postby Jeezas » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 am

I currently have Odeur 53 by Comme des Garçons (Smells like.. Huh.), Poivre Piquant by L'Artisan Parfumeur (Smells like fresh pepper milk and honey) and 1 by Galimard. (smells like the idea of sea, not the salty one.)

SMILEY FACE
Jeezas

Postby insect » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:38 am

Using yohji yamamoto homme and some cheap redwood cologne stick i got off etsy

Still shopping around for something that suits me

insect

Postby prawnzee » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:17 am

okay I trust you this time

Your Order Summary: Midnight In Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels 4.2 oz Eau De Toilette Spray for Men

prawnzee

Postby eufemism » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 am

i've been using this for a while now. i need to step my game up.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby easthastings » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:36 pm

Here's a meagre picture of my meagre collection:

YSL La Nuit de L'Homme: The first fragrance I bought. I get a decent amount of compliments on it, and the longevity and drydown are really nice. It's really sweet and can get cloying though. I wear this when I go out, but if I could go back, I'd probably get Dior Homme instead.
Terre d'Hermes: Got this as a gift. I don't wear this very often, but it is very versatile and likeable - probably one of the better designer scents I've tried.
Prada Infusion d'Homme: Not everyone loves this one, but it's my signature scent - day and night, year-round. It's soapy and powdery which might turn some people off, but I just really like iris. I think it's citric and smoky enough to balance out the soapiness. The women's version, Infusion d'Iris is very similar and also really good.
CdG Kyoto: Really glad that it's popular here. I tried out CdG Avignon and Heely Cardinal before settling on this. I kind of associate incense with solemnity and death, but this one is pretty refreshing, and wearable.
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille: It's a tiny 5 mL sample but it feels like that's more than I ever need. It smells more like a baked goods explosion than anything to me. But I kind of like that, so I keep it around.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

easthastings

Postby prawnzee » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:00 am

prawnzee

Postby bels » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Lately I've been using whatever random Ittars I've collected over the years. Some are better than others, a lot are really cloyingly sweet but there are a couple of more subdued ones. The scent sticks around a lot though.

Feels kind of fun to wear something "ethnic"

bels
Yung Winona

Postby meatjacket » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Just ordered 5 samples for $20 of stuff i've heard was pretty good online, then i'll try to find one i like

- cdg kyoto
- cdg amazingreen
- m.micallef homme/aoud
- Helmut Lang - Sample:Eau de Parfum
- l'artisan parfumeur: passage d'enfer

gonna try to get a sample of tobacco vanille bc i heard its amazing

meatjacket

Postby meatjacket » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:43 am

received the samples today!

amazingreen really surprised me as it smells just like it sounds! Smells like i sat on a rock in the middle of a forest, crisp air and pine needles at my feet. Very lush and free. I feel happy smelling this.

never heard of l'artisan parfumer before, ordered a sample simply because it had notes of Lily of The Valley (favorite flower) which was very clean, very "open"

meatjacket

PreviousNext

Return to Tags