[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Clothes

Re: Small wallet, big ideas - the DIY thread

Postby slappa » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:06 pm

slappa

Postby slappa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Macbook Pro sleeve that came out a little too tight, but luckily it expanded enough to fit the computer perfectly
Backside
Together with a sunglass case
Close-up
Galaxy S3 sleeve & another sunglass case with wrap-around strap closure

slappa

Postby RycePooding » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:06 pm

What's your site? Your stuff is phenomenal man.

RycePooding

Postby slappa » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I just have my shop on etsy and , but if you're interested in pics of the process and workshop it's just nordicdistrict on instagram

slappa

Postby thomaspaine » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 pm

First sock prototypes came in today. Messed up the ribbing and they're supposed to be speckled, but still wearable and comfy. Merino / cordura blend. Does it still count for this thread if I didn't actually knit them?

thomaspaine

Postby can- » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

those are freakin awesome. can you tell me more about the cordura? I thought cordura was a specific proprietary weave but I guess it's a huge branding umbrella who make a ton of products. I assume it makes the merino a little hardier.

fwiw I think it probably doesn't need speckles. how much and when can we cop?

can-

Postby thomaspaine » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Yeah it's supposed to increase the abrasion resistance. Another sample I received had some issues with the cordura pilling up, so still trying to get that resolved. I just got these today so I have no idea how they'll hold up.

PM me your address and I'll send you a pair, I have a couple samples and could use some feedback anyway. They also kind of messed up the artwork on the bottom of the sock but it's getting changed anyway.

Price is still being worked out but I'm guessing $15.

thomaspaine

Postby rjbman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:47 am

Care to go into detail how you got them produced/made?

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:59 am

he works for a clothing company for starters

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby thomaspaine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:08 am

There's a big trade show in SLC that's held twice a year, and lots of fabric mills and reps attend. I was hanging out at the Invista booth (company that owns the Cordura brand) talking about Cordura denim, because I'm making a pair of Cordura denim too.

I don't know, somehow we started talking about socks and they mentioned they were really excited about these Cordura blended socks they're prototyping, so I pretended that I'm a much more important person than I actually am and was like "oh we'd be the perfect brand to launch these socks in the US". So they hooked us up with a mill and we've just been going back and forth on designs and fabric compositions.

Initially I just wanted a merino loafer sock because I don't think those exist for men.

thomaspaine

Postby thomaspaine » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 am

thomaspaine

Postby starfox64 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 am

oh shit, well now i feel like an idiot. good luck with the new job though.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby slappa » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:29 am

Bifold wallet in the making

Almost done, after seeing this picture I realized the edges needed more work.

slappa

Postby Syeknom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 am

That looks so cool slappa, always fun to see your work.

Girlfriend just surprised me with a small sewing kit her mother helped her pick out for me. Now I just need to learn how to use it and maybe make stuff!

Syeknom

Postby katy katazome » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 am

Me and Bobbin have a "little DIY project" that I believe he's already hinted at to you guys. Today we (me..Bobbin will be making me pumpkin curry while I do it but he doesn't know it yet) are pattern cutting the jacket. Yes, JACKET!! We're too excited about this.

katy katazome

Postby Syeknom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 am

Ooh, jacket! What kind of jacket, or is that a secret?

Pumpkin curry sounds very good right now.

Syeknom

Postby katy katazome » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:22 am

Agree. GODDAMNIT I'm so squash obsessed at the minute.

Cant tell everything (have been sworn to secrecy!) but our first jacket is denim, reversible and Japanese inspired. And ITSGOINGTOBEAMAZING!!! *ahem

katy katazome

Postby BobbyZamora » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:43 am

I'm gonna put my sewing machine to use and try and actually alter some clothes- properly this time, no stupid "pinch and pin, just leave the excess fabric" nonsense. Maybe in time I'll learn to actually make my own clothes.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby can- » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:47 pm

At the first notice of early onset collar and cuff stain I've started destroying one of my blue brooks bros ocbds with a knife. was curiously surprised to find that the collar and cuffs are fully canvassed and wonder if this is the case for most shirts.

the fabric takes on great character when sanded, cut or torn but that is unfortunately one of the only things I can appreciate about bb ocbds anymore. the harder and longer I look at the design of this shirt the less I like it.

will update with photos when it is satisfactorily distressed and washed

can-

Postby bels » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:49 pm

OCDBs that are too long to wear untucked are just silly.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby sensodyne » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Does anyone have any input on taking in the ribbing of hoodies? Im not a super handy person. Is this something i can ask a tailor to do or is it as easy as cutting some out then putting it back together?

sensodyne

Postby thomaspaine » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:59 am

thomaspaine

Postby can- » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:06 pm

where the fuck are my socks DZ?

I don't like brooks bros ocbds because they lack all the things that define an ocbd to me- split yoke, gauntlet button, most importantly locker loop. the fabric is very fine and it's a good shirt to wear with tie and jacket. the sizing is also a little weird, the normal fits are huge but the slim and extra slim are way too slim for me after I wash them (and you have to wash them hard because otherwise they are so lustrous)

the collar is one of the best in the game tho

can-

Postby thomaspaine » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:57 pm

thomaspaine

Postby odradek » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 pm

was recently reminded this was a thing my brother and i did back in 2006:

odradek

Postby slappa » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:13 pm

Just finished this cartridge bag last week. I was really doubting my abilities to finish it since the leather was like nothing I've worked with before - a lot softer but still thick (8 oz) meaning the edges was hard to get polished and rounded. Also the first time working with painted edges, but I'm mostly satisfied with the result.

slappa

Postby katy katazome » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:57 pm

For Schia (smiling)

katy katazome

Postby katy katazome » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Bobbin - SCHIA MADE ME DO IT!!

katy katazome

Postby oieoou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 am

I felt like I should ask here as you guys are more fashion oriented and may know more about the process of diy clothing. I want to sew a panel of plaid fabric onto a jacket of mine. I plan on just taking an old shirt, make a pattern of the area where I want to place the fabric onto and just sew it on. Will it be more difficult to do it this way as opposed to taking the jacket apart and sewing it on then? The jacket is fatigue-styled and has a large "square" area on the back if this helps at all.

oieoou

Postby sknss » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:50 am

p sure it'll be easier to just sew a patch on the shirt than to deconstruct it

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

PreviousNext

Return to Tags