[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Charming boy is charming (DIY thread)

Clothes

Re: Small wallet, big ideas - the DIY thread

Postby Baddarn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:26 am

Thanks for the feedback and kind words!

Thought about this as well. Though mainly by adding patches in desaturated earth tones. Someone also suggested I should add some but I couldn't find anything similar anywhere.

Related to that, does anyone know of any good fabrics stores online? (or ideally, good physical stores around Stockholm?)

- -
Baddarn

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:25 am

I've had this timberland jacket for years now and it's developed a sort of EG look to it I've decided I want to make it look a bit more blazer like, thus transforming it into my ideal airport jacket.

Reckon I'd be able to cut out notches in the collar like in the image, sew up the relevant edges and iron in the right places to make lapels?

Image Image

DeafIdiotGod

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Ok so what's this kind of finish on the edge called? Where the two sheets of fabric are folded in and stitched together at the edge and a bit further in. I've tried googling a description but I couldn't find anything.

It looks like I'll just need to cut one edge and unpick the other to cut out the square with the buttonhole in it and then just do whatever stitching required to achieve that same edge. I should find some old t-shirts or something to practise on.

DeafIdiotGod

Postby stappard_ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:08 pm

that looks likely to be a french seam

stappard_

Postby bird.in.flight » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 am

(ten char)

Last edited by bird.in.flight on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bird.in.flight

Postby coldomatic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:57 am

totally inspired by Baddarn's DIY scab jeans and bought a pair of black moto denim from Stampd today.. gonna try making my own moto scab jeans.. :woop:

I paint stuffs on other stuffs..
coldomatic

Postby areo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:49 am

Any recommendations for black fabric dye that's available to purchase in the UK?

areo

Postby FeministFatal » Thu May 14, 2015 10:37 pm

So I would really like to make a fabric design via illustrator or something and make it into custom fabric, does anyone know of the best way to do this?

FeministFatal

Postby lyysander » Wed May 20, 2015 12:08 pm

I posted in the buyer's guide a bit back that I was interested in this denim t-shirt, and sknss suggested that I DIY it. Does anyone have thoughts on how I might accomplish this short of crafting one entirely from scratch? I'm not much of a seamster.

lyysander

Postby Cowboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Cut the linen beach pants I have. Did it twice, once into Capri-type pants and the next into legit shorts

And then

Idk maybe they look bad, maybe they looked better on the first cut

they are comfy though.

Cowboy

Postby sick boy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:23 pm

Is it a shirt? Is it a jacket? Nobody knows.

In retrospect lighter thread would have been much better here.

sick boy

Postby bels » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:09 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VENTILE-COTTO ... 1726143458

5 metres of V E N T I L E.

Guess I could buy it and launch my fashion line if I knew how to sew.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby TheLouisVuittonPawn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Old J crew shirt with added patterned cotton and linen quilting

Selvage raw denim bracelet

TheLouisVuittonPawn

Postby nick » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 pm

seen you on IG posting very cool homemade garms. Please share any new ones with us and is there a brand incoming ??? share your process! I am interested!

nick
Eminent Eminem

Re: Small wallet, huge ideas - the DIY thread

Postby sick boy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 pm

I finished the coat in the winter, and the pants a couple of weeks ago. Both are stretch canvas. The buttons are copper painted white, which wears away over time. Bonus thrifted Raf shirt.

The hidden placket and white button gives off strong priestly vibes.

The yoke is split and angled. Pockets are integrated in the side seam. Trouser outseam is taped.

Playing around with tags.

Fustic dyed canvas trousers.

Drawstring hem detail.

Original colour.

Just finished this today. The denim is 9oz, once washed, from Japan. The canvas is some selvedge canvas I found at Value Village. This is really begging for fuller, slightly longer sleeves. Live and learn.

Pocket detail 1

Pocket detail 2

Look at that subtle off white colouring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh, my god. It even has a selvedge gusset.

Interior taped seam.

, I'm really terrible about taking process pictures, and I have very little in the way of process work. The way things usually go is I buy the fabric first, and figure out what I want to do with it later. I'll do a sketch or two, make a pattern, and change about half of the details as I'm cutting and sewing. I don't see a brand happening in the near future. My process is super inefficient, and my designs tend to be all over the place. We'll see how that goes though.

That said, here's some extra stuff.

This is my main machine, my grandmother's old Singer. It does the basic forward, reverse, and some things I don't use like buttonholes and various zig zags. It's pretty light duty though, so I have this for heavier things:

My early 20th century Singer that one of my dad's customers gave to him for free. It goes through most things with little effort, but requires more maintenance than my "newer" Singer, and it doesn't have reverse, so I alternate between the two.

Some fabrics I'm excited about. From left to right:
-100% cotton kimono fabric
-50/50 silk/ cotton kimono fabric
-silk/ cotton/ cashmere blend
-100% wool from Dormeuil

Last edited by sick boy on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sick boy

Postby sick boy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:06 pm

yes, I used Patternmaking for Menswear by Gareth Kershaw to learn that.

sick boy

Postby anotherdayhere » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:26 pm

i'm sure this question has been danced around in this thread before, not sure if there's a topic for it? I searched around and came up empty

does anyone have a significant knowledge of newer sewing machines and would recommend one? i'm looking to drop some dough on one very soon and don't won't to buy anything that can't stitch denim or jams easily or has tension issues or anything like that, just wondering if anyone who frequently DIYs has had good experience with something in the $4-500 range that they would seriously recommend, looking to specifically buy new.

anotherdayhere

Postby can- » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:25 pm

i'll sell you an unused industrial juki for 500 if you come to nyc and get it =]

can-

Postby stuki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I wanted a darker jeans shirt, and only had this really cyan thing that I didn't wanna use. So i dyed it:

It went ok.

stuki

Postby can- » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:36 pm

surprised it got that much darker.. whenever i try and dye anything black or charcoal it comes out some shitty dark purple item.

can-

Postby stuki » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Well it has a really really small hint of blue in it, but it's only noticeable if you really look. And I used just some basic dye from the store idk

edit: nitor apparently: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pq0ndkymhghf ... 1.jpg?dl=0

stuki

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:52 pm

is there a way to make black jeans actually dark black again? i've always had the same problem as ben where it just turns in to a shitty purple

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Yoder » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:25 pm

u guys are using RIT probably, it turns things purpley black, try different dye

Yoder

Postby bels » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:16 am

I have a pair of UNIQLO jeans that used to be black, faded to grey, got redyed black and are now a really nice dark blue. Regular fit. Must be about ten years old at least, possibly more.

bels
Yung Winona

Re: DIY fashion

Postby ptozzi » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:53 pm

Anyone ever dye a uniqlo oxford? What dye did you use?

ptozzi

Re: DIY fashion

Postby Francks » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 am

Maybe It's worth creating a new thread but if someone wants to create one's own independant brand. Financially how much roughly is involved? (I'm not talking about legal time to set up everything or the realationship with factories etc...)

To add more precisions let's say it would be only for men, no shoes produced.

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Re: I made this!

Postby xinijia » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:57 am

I... knit hats....
I made these on an flintstone whim from the Loopy Mango hats that looked pretty cool so I made some with some thick yearn from Michaels.
And in black....

my favourite colour is bingle bangle
xinijia

Postby bels » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 am

Surely must depend on a zillion factors. Like if you were the kind of person who kept on saying they were going to launch a climate change themed t-shirt collection that would be pretty cheap (so you really wouldn't have any excuse as to why you hadn't got your shit together)

But if you wanted to create a tailored futurist sportswear collection for the modern man including fancy unstructured blazers made of japanese ripstop nylon, it'd surely be more expensive.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby vgtbls » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:35 am

It's out of my hands now ok??!??! Prototypes are being printed. My fault for going with the most CC printer out there.

vgtbls

Postby xinijia » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:12 am

If we all remember the Christopher Raeburn x Wool and the Gang Bruce Knitmitts, I got my hands on the pattern and tried to make one for myself!

I'm a little unsure about the other mitt, though. I lost the grey shark fin, and the blue run out. Should I go for it in orange? I'll have enough left over then to make a nice beanie.

my favourite colour is bingle bangle
xinijia

PreviousNext

Return to Tags