[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

Clothes

Re: Ask a question, get an answer

Postby Naka_ » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am

Can anyone recommend any fashion related podcasts? The care-tags pod was recommended to me at styleforum and that's how I found this place, and I've enjoyed lurking so far. I listen alot to and from work so I've listened to every ct cast already heh.

Naka_

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:20 am

thanks for the help guys I think the choice at this point is pretty clear, gonna go to the mil surp store (gotta support local business) tomorrow

BIGBEE

Postby oieoou » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:35 am

Anyone know where to get a good coat pattern? Like a mackintosh coat pattern.

oieoou

Postby ramseames » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:45 am

Yeah if you're not sure what you want milsurp at $25 or whatever is the right call

ramseames

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:16 pm

what pushed milspex away from taps more than anything is probably the fit lol

BIGBEE

Postby Ques » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 pm

i've been starting to fall in love with the jil marble stuff, and want the marble print blazer more and more, and see it on grailed at $700, but it's been there for a while

this is more of a question for jil/raf or ebay experts, but is this a normal price for this piece? if it does pop up for less will it usually sell quickly? is this an anomaly?

2nd hand market pricing for designer statement pieces is a subject that i can't even begin to understand

Ques

Postby can- » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 am

700 is a low price to pay if raf@jil hits all your fashion chakras-- it's an iconic piece from a very high status brand, from a seminal period designed by someone who is now more relevant and important than ever.

if you just want a cool blazer tho, 700 is a lot unless it's relatively unworn. that's only about 40% retail.

can-

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 am

I need help on picking a stone island sweater since I don't know about their sizing. Anyone have measurements on their sweats or know about sizing? I normally wear small in tees and sweats by COS, Acne, Our Legacy and Wood Wood.

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby silvaeri » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:11 am

Anyone have personal experience or recommendations for a pair of pants with DWR? Previously had Levi Commuters, but I'm open to anything else.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby purkinje » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:46 pm

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby BIGBEE » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 pm

the brand I decided on was propper, does anyone have any recommendations on whether to get poly/cotton or 100% cotton?

BIGBEE

Postby harmsalmon » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:29 pm

anybody know of any dark brownish or copper colored windbreakers/light hooded jackets w black detailing on zippers or maybe pockets or whatever? I know its really specific but I've had the idea in my head for a few days now and I'm dying to find one

harmsalmon

Postby bels » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Did Our Legacy invent normcore.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby JCVE » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:07 am

Is it worth proxying Sophnet from Japan? Eyeing jacket specifically. Also, does Sophnet run small? From End's measurements, it looks pretty tts.

JCVE

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:11 am

http://www.soph.net/product/2014-2015-a ... parka.html

69k yen + proxy fees + international shipping + no returns. vs $815 + whatever you get fucked with in terms of customs.

soph historically is all size up once but end does good measurements so i'd trust them on that.

ramseames

Postby nick » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:18 am

I'm not sure if Soph is 'worth' MSRP, and with the low prices you can get through online consingment shops of the stuff, I'd recommend checking out Rakuten if you're interested in the brand in particular not just that piece.

Also in my experience there's iffyness with armhole fits. Not enough to be a dealbreaker, but I'm not sure what the deal with those low armholes is

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 am

i mean it depends if you're someone who's willing to pay retail for things but soph is as worth it as any brand around that price point.

ramseames

Postby purkinje » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:26 pm

cheapish pair of sweatpants with elastic at the hem that I can wear with derbies?

purkinje

Postby purkinje » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:17 am

wtf does this even mean

purkinje

Postby swatfishy » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:50 am

What's that one sneaker cleaning solution called? Iirc it was made by a sneakerhead guy and it has pretty solid reviews

swatfishy

Postby ramseames » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:13 am

Jason markk

ramseames

Postby Blastoise » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:02 pm

What kind of boots would go best with these?

Not those fits exactly, but that general style. Nothing too workwear, something more "natural" looking. Desert boots seem like the obvious choice but are they the best choice? Who else is doing desert boots besides Clarks? Preferably under $300 (even under $200). Open to all sort of ideas, suede or leather.

Blastoise

Postby nick » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:36 pm

Boots + skinny jeans can be a tricky proposition. Anything mid profile and shorter is probably a safe bet - I'd search y!jp and Rak for used Visvim stuff.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Blastoise » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:39 pm

Blastoise

Postby Phish » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Anybody know about the brand nano universe? There's an MDR-esque leather on rak that's pretty cheap. Is it worth my time?

Phish

Postby ramseames » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 am

anyone ever seen pictures of island dunks laced up? they have eyelets, seems like something that has to have been done before.

always thought they were the coolest shoes rick does

ramseames

Postby yoyobeat » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:58 pm

What happens to the design students who don't successfully start their own label? I imagine many of them would want to start their own label.... Do they just go to work for mass-market brands? Out of all the fashion graduate students who matriculate each year we only know a relatively small number of brands, and many of the designers designing for those brands are on the older side.

yoyobeat

Postby station » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:59 pm

I think there are a lot of design students who aren't out to found their own label. There was recently an article on MFA about how fast-fashion and how children of these families go to design school to help their parents business.

In addition, I think we look at a pretty small slice of clothing in general. Based on my experience, more people in college, high school, or young professionals (people who could be considering making design a choice for a career) know about and follow lookbook.nu, 'style' blogs, and magazines like Vogue etc and don't know who Rei, Raf, or Rick are. There are tons of clothes and brands presented in these places that probably never been mentioned on this forum that a lot of people like, wear, and are what inspire them to go into design. Some personal anecdotal evidence I have was when I was at a research fair, and a design student who was designing materials for waterproofing had never heard of stone island which seemed right up the alley of her research. Two other design students I've met were pretty much straight out of lookbook.nu. So yeah, small sample size, but I think starting your own label and creating/managing aesthetics is probably somewhat risky and not everyone's dream (this might change depending on the design school you're talking about).

station

Postby absurdmind » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 pm

thinking of going the mac coat route this winter instead of duffel. this doesnt seem terrible but id prefer raglan sleeves.

also: what do you guys think of docs chelsea boots? i find it sort of unnerving seeing such a classic traditional and sleek boot become urbanized and chunky, im not entirely sure what to make of these and would love to hear some opinions

absurdmind

Postby Blastoise » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 pm

A lot of people too are going for specific things, not just designing clothes in general. One of my friends is studying fashion just to design weddings dresses and she really isn't into fashion at all besides that.

Blastoise

PreviousNext

Return to Tags