[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Ask a question, get an answer

Ask a question, get an answer

Clothes

Re: Ask a question, get an answer

Postby rjbman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:23 pm

I was a major dork in HS and wanted to improve, figured why not start with how I dressed.

Disclaimer:

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby ramseames » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:28 pm

ramseames

Postby INNIT » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:13 pm

INNIT

Postby BIGBEE » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:59 pm

BIGBEE

Postby Blastoise » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Blastoise

Postby yoyobeat » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:04 pm

Maybe secret Area 51 technology was injected into it

yoyobeat

Postby eufemism » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

Has anybody bought the Blue Stone wash for Levis 511's? I seem to remember somebody on mfa bought some but they were sort of yellow irl?

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby schiaparelli » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:48 am

schiaparelli

Postby station » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:23 pm

To tac onto schiaparelli's response: as another one of those STEM people, I think that fashion and other creative fields offer a nice balance for me to break up that view of categorizing things and give me a much needed change of pace. When I started having an interest in how I dressed and fashion, it was really easy to group everything such as Rick, Yohji, Siki, and Ann as “goth ninja” and so on. While that’s not to say that they don't pair well together, I think that pigeon holing is a pretty detrimental way to go about it. Kinda like how saying that a GTR and a Boxster are both just sport cars. I've had a lot of fun breaking down my initial mentality of sorting and placing stuff in a genre based on what some guy on the internet proclaimed and instead focusing on what the designer is trying to convey/show (I'm not coming up with the words to express this). It feels more organic and interesting, and it makes me feel bad that I used to think that the designers I listed before were basically the same product.

Anyway, I started wearing clothes on the whole self improvement trend (to get a girlfriend idea) like a few others. Also started calisthenics for the same purpose. Both have moved into a category of stuff I like to do for myself now rather than as a tool to help me with something else. In general, I just try to have fun now and appreciate cool clothes/look cool in a really laidback manner.

station

Postby Ques » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:57 pm

my clothes get interesting artsy people to talk to me who otherwise wouldn't

Ques

Postby parastexis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:48 pm

what's a fair price for our legacy shirting? I really like the raw silk shirts but I dunno if I want to pay retail for them.

parastexis

Postby yoyobeat » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:55 pm

yoyobeat

Postby station » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 am

I'm definitely not an expert, so if someone else would like to chime in it'd be great to hear. Anyway: Well mixing designers is not a bad thing obviously, but having an idea of who you're mixing is a good thing which is why I'd rather learn about the designers than place them in some catagory. For example, a brand like Visvim and SLP really don't work together because what they present/represent are insanely different and if you throw them together in a fit, it probably will look off/bad. On the other hand, Yohji and Ann often work well/easily together because they both move in similar directions.

Idk if I would go with a STEM example for it. Maybe more like curating art and furniture in your house/a museum/gallery. Sticking an abstract expressionism next to a Baroque piece doesn't make sense and will more than likely look pretty awful. On the other hand, curators can make gallerys where different artists works in different styles of painting/sculpting/etc. flow really well. Nowadays, I view both fashion and art as this big blob/continuum where the artists/designers exist. Some are closer to others and will have synergy, but I try to make sure I don't draw lines around a group of similar designers and label them as X and say you can only wear that designer with other X designers.

Finally, I think it depends on the outfit and the pieces from the designers in the outfit as to if some designers are “dominant” to others and its not really a way I'd think about it. But whoever wears the clothes can definitely (obviously) have a huge say in the final look that is presented and maybe wear the clothes in a way that wasn't the original intention of the designer. I remember a Rosenrot fit where I instantly thought like she looked like some cool edgy dark cowgirl from a western movie. I don't remember what the pieces were, but the pants looked like Yohji and the shoes also didn't look like they were western cowboy shoes. So yeah, I think you can definitely overshadow the designer “direction” with your styling choices.

station

Postby Vaeltaja » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:44 am

How's Trove quality? Nice leather/materials? Good construction? There are some cool pieces I see every so often, don't wanna take the Rakuten Roulette until I know if the brand is good stuff or not.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby harmsalmon » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:59 am

sub-$50 recs for navy/white striped t shirts (either short or long sleeved) that come in xs?

harmsalmon

Postby parastexis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 pm

slp and visvim go together better than yohji and ann though

parastexis

Postby Yawn » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Where's the recent cops thread?

Yawn

Postby Vaeltaja » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:31 pm

So there's a coat I really, really like. It's a wool coat, so it's fairly thick. Based on the measurements given, it sounds like it would fit well everywhere, except the chest which is where I'm really iffy. Apparently it measures at almost exactly 18.5" pit to pit. I'm almost exactly a 36 chest (measured at widest part with 2 fingers space), maybe just a tad less. You guys think that inch space is enough, or will it cause ugly pulling?

Image for reference. 1 button coat. Definitely for winter, so I'd want to button it up.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby une_impasse » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:15 pm

does anyone find themselves buying way too many of a certain piece? i have so, so, so many coats compared to pants and shoes etc., and i don't even know how it happened.

une_impasse

Postby PrimePrime » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:52 am

I wish I could bring myself to buy more coats. I get all short sighted and just buy a bunch of (cheap) summer things and end up being freezing cold from october to april.

PrimePrime

Postby absurdmind » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:43 pm

recommendations on nice color-blocked shirts ~$80 (or less)?

absurdmind

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Anyone have experience with this uniqlo reversible jacket? Wondering how waterproof (or resistant) the nylon weave is. Also, interested in any comments on sizing.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men-re ... e/hoodie/|

IsaiahSchafer

Postby jrisk » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:35 pm

, I tried it on in the store. Nylon is pretty thin. Don't think it would be waterproof, but would probably be fine in anything besides heavy rain. I liked it a lot, reversible fleece stuff is so much fun but it wasn't something I would wear often/day to day. I might get it if it goes on sale for $30. Sizing is standard uniqlo sizing.

jrisk

Postby Blastoise » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:25 am

Didn't have the fleece one, but I had the standard reversible jacket from last year. It's water "resistant" if you're outside for a minute in a light rain. Past that, no. It wasn't bad for a cheap hooded jacket I guess besides that.

Blastoise

Postby ramseames » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:45 pm

where 2 get cheap buckets that you can be reasonably certain of sizing for/go small enough to work for a girl?

ramseames

Postby yourdad » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 pm

yourdad

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:50 pm

is it possible to tailor a padded/insulated bomber jacket - most specifically letting it out for a looser fit? what would that entail?

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby sidewalk » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:46 am

I doubt a bomber would have much, if any, seam allowance. All you can do is reconstruct it with extra fabric, which I can't recommend because of the insulation (along with the ever-present risk of misalignment). You'd really only want to add fabric if it was like a dress because you could just add paneling.

sidewalk

Postby eufemism » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:57 am

do postmans ever go on sale?

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:25 pm

CheerUpBrokeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Tags