[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - beat a dead horse and use the hide to make rick shoes

beat a dead horse and use the hide to make rick shoes

Clothes

beat a dead horse and use the hide to make rick shoes

Postby teck » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:23 pm

i know we've talked about this a lot already but ive been thinking about making the jump to fancy boots/shoes. some i'm considering:

rick mainline/drkshdw ramones

cinza

damir doma

questions:
1) am i just going through a phase?
2) what do u think of wearing these vis a vis yohji/comme stuff
3) why is it that the internet fixates on just a few of these brands when theres many who make this "look"
4) is there a more specific term for this? i feel "goth ninja" is losing its meaning and becoming like the word "hipster".

teck

Re: beat a dead horse and use the hide to make rick shoes

Postby can- » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:47 pm

I think leather or canvas ramones would work well for your yohji / comme balloon look. those DRKSHDW neoprene ones look cheap to me in person.

rick sneakers still do it the best IMO despite the weird status/hype they have. they are wearable, accessible for many/any style, and fun/comfort to wear. safe but edgy. it is surprising that their shape hasn't been widely coopted yet, only a few other brands make similar products and most of them don't achieve the same effect, or look as good. I expect a huge influx of mid and high street knockoffs coming sometime in the next 1-2 years, like wedge sneakers, and I probably wouldn't wanna be wearing real rick owens in this hypothetical

high likelihood og milk dunks will be cool forever and ever

that cinza boot, on the other hand, could be one of like 7 brands now which is fucking insane. I don't understand why anyone wants their lower leg to look like a leather tree trunk

can-

Postby maj » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:17 am

there was a great article about why rick made dunks, geobaskets and ramones a while ago, he mentioned wanting to take a regular high top sneaker and put it on steroids. ben hit the nail on the head on why they're so attractive, but i don't think anyone else could capture why they're cool without making you think they're just knock off ricks.

http://www.oaknyc.com/men/designers/cin ... shoes.html

this brand springs to mind but it could be more an execution issue than anything. and i suppose that's why the internet likes the brands they do, rick, comme, prada, damir are all established brands known for doing what they do well. to someone not 'in the know' (speaking first hand for this, looking back i've done it in this comment) a small start up designer releasing something remotely similar is just seen as a copy, and therefore less desirable.

maj

Postby teck » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 am

maj you're right. i was thinking about it in the shower this morning -- a lot of rick's awesome stuff jumps off of "classic" designs, the Nike Dunk, the Air Force 1, the All Star. In a way, when we like Rick's stuff, we're actually liking Nike and Converse. But of course, it's tough to over hype on such brands since they're (relatively) more accessible. Rick combines nostalgia with a beefed up design sensibility, paired with a high high fashion pricepoint. What's not to love.

I'm still questioning about the Cinza thing. Are you guys saying Cinza and brands like it don't stem from a shoemaking tradition, or don't "execute well" and thus aren't cool. I"m a bit doubtful about that, that we're just switching "execute well" for "they're cool", which means nothing.

teck

Postby maj » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:14 pm

when typing this out i made quite a few drafts and stuff thinking why is it that these cinzia are not as good in my eyes but what it boiled down to was 'rick done it first, and the rest will never be as cool', like the first time you discover something you're always pursuing what made it cool, great, amazing but can never get that feeling again.

someone may be able to articulate it better but i cant seem to put the words together.

maj

Postby teck » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:50 pm

can you find the link for that interview you mentioned about rick and steroid dunks?

teck

Postby maj » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:58 pm

looked for it when i posted the original comment but can't seem to find it.

tho i did find these

http://www.hintmag.com/hinterview/ricko ... owens1.php

he talks about elevation of furniture here, but i cant find the shoes bit.

maj

Return to Tags