[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Price Of Quitting The Game

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: NOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPB

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:52 pm

mc-lunar

Postby PrimePrime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:03 pm

PrimePrime

Postby bels » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:15 pm

In the end, nothing really distracts anyone as much as they'd like so it's generally best to try and distract yourself with something more useful than new clothes in my opinion.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Ques » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:52 pm

i stupidly went to the frances may warehouse sale and found the OL sneakers i'd been looking for for over a year in my size for $70 and robo-copped, and also got a size small slim-fit acne white dress-shirt which is the best fitting shirt i have ever tried on for $60. i feel both were pretty good purchases but i feel kinda guilty. also i got 2 t-shirts at the GAP. and i plan to buy socks in the uniqlo black-friday sale. but other than doing pretty well i guess?

being back on campus has completely changed my mindset about what i want to wear, too. these days all i want is a double rider and some docs, not gonna lie. and for some reason i've gained a reputation as dressing like a space man

also i REALLY need to get rid of all the not-rain-proof jackets i own as i never get to wear any of them for 80% of the year. and i've noticed that i don't wear like 50% of my pants or knits EVER so i should probably get rid of them. these days the only thing i really want is a rain jacket and an alternate winter coat, as the only one i have now doesn't really jive with most of what i wear :/

Ques

Postby JewTurk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:28 pm

Well, broke my "no-cop".

Planned on sticking to it until my Birthday so I was successful in that.

Going to slowly check off things on my cop list through November then do another no-cop until February I'm thinking. See where I stand in terms of a winter wardrobe, going up to Flagstaff for Valentines day so I'll see if I think I have enough to make it up there with their winters.

JewTurk

Postby bels » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:24 am

Good no cops guys.

Now is a good time to no cop. Keep it up another month or two and we'll be in winter sale season and you can buy stuff with extreme prejudice knowing your accounts are in order.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby stappard_ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm

No copping til christmas. Apart from maybe the new apc nikes. 99% no cop.

fair point :cool:

100% no cop

stappard_

Postby bels » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:03 am

The encounter put me in the mood to shop. I found the others and we walked across two parking lots to the main structure in the Mid-Village Mall, a ten-story building arranged around a center court of waterfalls, promenades and gardens. Babette and the kids followed me into the elevator, into the shops set along the tiers, through the emporiums and department stores, puzzled but excited by my desire to buy. When I could not decide between two shirts, they encouraged me to buy both. When I said I was hungry, they fed me pretzels, beer, souvlaki. The two girls scouted ahead, spotting things they thought I might want or need, running back to get me, to clutch my arms, plead me to follow. They were my guides to endless well-being. People swarmed through the boutiques and gourmet shops. Organ music rose from the great court. We smelled chocolate, popcorn, cologne; we smelled rugs and furs, hanging salamis and deathly vinyl. My family gloried in the event. I was one of them, shopping, at last. They gave me advice, badgered clerks on my behalf. I kept seeing myself unexpectedly in some reflecting surface. We moved from store to store, rejecting not only items in certain departments, not only entire deparments but whole stores, mammoth corporations that did not strike our fancy for one reason or another. There was always another store, three floors, eight floors, cellar full of cheese graters and paring knives. I shopped with reckless abandon. I shopped for immediate need and distant contingencies. I shopped for its own sake, looking and touching, inspecting merchandise, I had no intention of buying, then buying it. I sent clerks into their fabric books to search for elsuive designs. I began to grow in value and self-regard. I filled myself out, found new aspects of myself, located a person I'd forgotten existed. Brightness settled around me. We crossed from furniture to men's wear, walking through cosmetics. Our images appeared on mirrored columns, in glassware and chrome, on TV monitors in security rooms. I traded money for goods. The more money I spent, the less important it seemed. I was bigger than these sums. These sums in fact came back to me in the form of existential credit.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pei » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:11 am

about to start nocop til next year, or until further notice.................

my spending habits have gotten out of hand and i have gotten into a lot of trouble with it
i'll limit this to clothing for now, but then i'll start to diverge nocop to art and sound equipment as well once i've gotten a good enough setup for what i'm doing for now.

exceptions i'll make for myself would be gifts for other people (˶‾᷄ ⁻̫ ‾᷅˵)

:0)
pei

Postby bels » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:42 pm

I ended up buying another pair of trousers for £10 off ebay. I'm still not sweating it. I think "no cop unless you can get something you've wanted for a while for 10% of it's retail value" is a pretty reasonable cop system. Takes the edge of but doesn't break the bank. Then again I don't brave the temptations of rakuten or sample sales

Could cause problems though if I start trying to construct new outfits I suppose. Will monitor the situation and report back

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:17 pm

The combination of yours and pei's avatars in succession is making me anxious

Adding new things to the ecosystem of one's wardrobe can easily throw everything out of sorts - a dangerous game you're playing

Syeknom

Postby ducksick » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:22 am

ducksick

Postby CMYK » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Interesting relevance to NOCOP

CMYK

Postby ducksick » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:22 pm

@Stingray Sam & @Maj - I don't have a problem with the principles of being straight-edge: of course abstaining from smoking, drinking and other drugs is often a good choice - personally I haven't smoked weed in close to a year and don't drink that regularly anymore, so I could probably be "straight edge" with very little effort. The problem is that the movement itself is stupid and distills (heh) a lot of complex personal beliefs down into hardcore-jock cliquish bullshit. Or sometimes there aren't even any other reasons there besides wanting to feel special and deriving your sense of identity by belong to a certain group (SIT I guess), and once a lot of people grow out of the scene they sort of give it up - that or they were "straight edge" for even stupider reasons, not knowing how to get alcohol when they're underaged, and then this inevitably happens:

That said, people are "breaking" No-Cop far more people "break edge" - their purchasing some MHL pants for $25 or grabbing an overcoat to wear on the commute to work during a recent cold spell being the equivalent of a few beers or smoking half a deck. And that's fine, because I think the original idea is ridiculous, like I said, boiling down a lot of complex personal reasons into a shitty slogan, whether it's "straight edge" or "NOCOP" - if it doesn't cheapen whatever reason you're doing "no cop" for, whether its determined by your means, you want to save up for something special, feeling dissatisfied with what you're buying (because honestly this could be alleviated by not buying all the cheap/middlemarket bullshit you guys do, like Acne/Gap), or just wanting to get more comfortable with what you already have. That's all fine, and that's all normal behaviour, but slapping a shitty name on it and then seeing a wave of impressionable teenagers jump on the bandwagon because its "the thing to do" or whatever cheapens individual choices in my eyes.

But really, did none of those equivalencies come to mind when I posted my original sentiment? I'd rather avoid typing a lot next time

Straight Edge Hardcore can be ok though

ducksick

Postby can- » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:27 pm

^this is boring. good bye ducksick

can-

Postby oucho » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 pm

everyone in this thread seems to buy a lot more clothes than I do, but then I guess that's why you need this thread

actually reminds me a lot of Bruce Chatwin who was a serial collector and worked as a cataloger at Sotheby's before he started writing, he would fill his apartment with different objects art and all sorts and he loved the stories behind objects/to make up stories about objects, every know and again he would clear everything out and eventually start collecting again but he became a big proponent of the nomadic lifestyle and eventually got to a point where he had a tiny amount of stuff that he would travel about with and that was all he needed! may he be an flintstone to you all

oucho

Postby yubbermax » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:27 am

I spent too much money on used Japanese clothes. Gotta go no cop for awhile.

yubbermax

Postby KLF » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:51 pm

keep running across things I really want but gotta stay strong for no cop November *sweats*

KLF

Postby yubbermax » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:14 am

Well, I made it 1 week before breaking ;_;7 Gonna keep going though.

I do have a bunch of stuff to sell so maybe it'll make up for it.

yubbermax

Postby Ques » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Ques

Postby bels » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:26 pm

I'm taking the month off.

I want to get a rollneck and I don't need one. I just want one.

Ques that's the most incredibly lax interpretation of nocop I've ever heard but you do you.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby yubbermax » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:52 pm

Should we have a LessCop thread?

yubbermax

Postby oucho » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Bruce Chatwin was a storyteller and published his books as novels, he was angry when Songlines was put up for the Thomas Cook Travel Award "The journey it describes is an invented journey, it is not a travel book in the generally accepted sense."

Chatwin invented and embellished with the intention of expressing a more global truth, calling him a liar as a way to discredit him doesn't really understand what his writing was about in my humbl3 0pini0n

ANYWAY

oucho

Postby pirxthepilot » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:55 pm

well, according to people who knew him, he 'embellished' constantly. as i recall, that thing about having just enough to fit in a rucksack just conveniently forgot to mention his apartment, art collection etc. so in the most literal sense, he was a liar.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/1999/a ... bookaward1
i don't think it in any way discredits an artist to say that about them. i mean just at random look at someone like beuys, whose fabrications didn't only add to his work, they became an intrinsic part of it. and that's even before we come to consider chatwin's oeuvre as a novelist and the blurred boundaries between fiction and reality that have been a part of that form since don quixote..
btw what on earth is a 'global truth'? :-)

also, i want to join NOCOP

pirxthepilot

Postby oucho » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Yes I've read the article, what he said about the backpack was a reference to when he was travelling. It would have been impossible for him to live only from a backpack with no apartment or house, he wouldn't have been able to carry all his notebooks for one thing. If anything it makes it more relevant to this thread, he was a serial collector but had this nomadic ideal that he strived for and enjoyed, like some of the guys in this thread. So I don't really understand what your comment was about then, unless you were just randomly stating a fact?

In Songlines Chatwin tried to write about nomadism in the context of the whole of human existence basically, so that's what I mean by a global truth.

oucho

Postby anotherdayhere » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:50 pm

trying to purchase big boy wheels (a car) so i can avoid dying this winter on my bike, no cop out of absolute neccesity and trying to come to the realization that living within my means doesn't mean starving so I can save up to spend $350 on a pair of boots. Been selling off all non essential parts of my wardrobe so I can try to end up with something that loosely resembles a uniform. I need to have the self control to stay off of rakuten/y!jp.

Been saving $600/mo out of my monthly income of $950-1200, have about $350 in living expenses. leaves me stretched incredibly thin, I need to break myself of the desire for more clothing when my wardrobe is already too full of things that don't fit or I flat out don't wear.

anotherdayhere

Postby yoyobeat » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:45 pm

No cop = on for a few reasons

1. i'm eating better and losing weight (healthily) and if this continues I will probably eventually go down a size up top and certainly a couple inches in pants. This is the biggest reason.

2. I own enough to fit my current lifestyle and I do really like a decent amount of it, though I think I need a balaclava for winter biking (not counting that as clothes) and probably will get a navy wool hat for $10 on ebay (again this is pretty separate from my normal idea of buying clothes, haven't bought a new winter hat in like 5 years).

3. I want to take some time and collect more 'flintstone images' of things I like, as well as edit the folder of images I've collected over time on my computer, and try to be specific about what I'm looking for when I go to buy things. I know I would like a light gray shetland crewneck or ribbed rollneck.

4. I want to buy 1-2 pair of high-quality shoes, probably new, and that costs $, but I'm also not yet sure which shoes would be most practical and enjoyable beyond possibly a pair of sand or chocolate suede chukkas. I also want the experience of deliberately putting aside money for specific things, which I haven't done since buying wolverine 1k miles four years ago at retail (which have been resoled once and still get frequent wear). Usually I buy everything secondhand which is more of a roller coaster ride since I'll find cool things but also sometimes make rash decisions.

yoyobeat

Postby quitter » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:56 pm

i plan on taking some time off of school to ~think about life~ meaning that i'll have to start paying back my loan from this semester, so for the time being i too will join in the noncopping festivities

ig @buzzpresto
quitter

Postby KLF » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:02 am

still going strong xx

KLF

Postby ramseames » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:13 pm

I bought hender schemes and Jordan 6s this week and found out that they're doing veilance pants in "sand" next season so I should wait on those.

Sign me up. No purchases until I start earning an income again.

MIP 1s, the air force ones.

ramseames

PreviousNext

Return to Tags