[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Price Of Quitting The Game

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: The Price Of Quitting The Game

Postby bels » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:03 pm

It's absolutely 100% essential that we have a thread about not caring about clothes on a forum dedicated to caring about clothes. Where else could it be?

I decided that getting into clothes that you can't afford, can't see, can't touch and can't wear is a scam and you might as well get into something else instead. It's like getting into eating out when you can only afford to read the menus.

People talking about how the things they can't have are really great and valuable and worthwhile works out very well for the people buying and selling the things and rewards the people talking with f all.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:26 pm

for me it's not really about getting into clothes that I can't afford—but getting into the different ways humanity can express ideas through clothing and "reading" that.

I love reading books about people I don't know whose lives I don't lead whose preoccupations and concerns are entirely foreign, because there's something interesting about what that tells me about the world or myself or my perception of the world.

if we only talk about clothes as things instead of as sociocultural indicators and storytellers and encapsulations of ideas, then it all becomes pretty boring honestly

schiaparelli

Postby Naka_ » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:45 pm

This discussion resonates with me a lot as I've been reflecting on my relationship to clothing over the past few months.
I've been a huge fan of Lemaire for a while, but barely own any of their clothes because they're too expensive even on sale, and don't really fit with my every day aesthetic.
It really upset me for a while when I came to this realisation because I find their clothing so so beautiful.
Eventually I've started to appreciate the ideas behind the clothing, be they ideas based in the physical realm or those a little more abstract/philosophical, more than the idea of owning them.
It's been very a very beneficial experience for me overall, particularly because I want to study fashion and essentially structure my life around my relationship to clothing.
I've barely bought any clothes in the past four months, and while I'm not satisfied with my wardrobe, I have a better idea of how I want it to progress.
Something else that has really stuck with me was something one of 's friends said IIRC.
"I have no interest at all in the hobbyist side of fashion"

Naka_

Postby LelandJ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:17 pm

Yoox can help minimize the pain of the game.

LelandJ

Re: NOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPB

Postby yoyobeat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:20 pm

yoyobeat

Postby sknss » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:10 pm

Bela have you considered concentrating on tennis to eventually quit the game?

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Re: NOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPNOCOPB

Postby JewTurk » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:05 pm

JewTurk

Postby bels » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:50 pm

my tailor is quitting the game to sell jewellery.

"But Oz, you can't do this, how many pairs of trousers have you hemmed for me?"
"Twenty? Must be more than twenty maybe."
"Yeah, twenty easily, you can't leave, I don't want to explain to the new guy what I mean when I say I want them slightly baggy."
"What can I say mate. You're gonna have to explain."

I'm furious.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:02 am

maj

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:03 am

Gaurenteed

ramseames

Postby dbcooper » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:39 am

Last edited by dbcooper on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbcooper

Postby smiles » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a methodology/plan.

It has a heavy (emotional) price.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby rudy » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi I'm rudy where do I join

rudy

Postby bels » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:12 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rjbman » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm on board for no-cop through the rest of the year, with the exception of basics (I need a scarf and a few tees).

Though there's a bag I've got my eye on, which would pretty much run me dry and on no-cop through summer next year. We'll see...

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby teck » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:19 pm

ive been using this thing to reevaluate my purchases. its really put me on a new level of no cop.

start a family.

teck

Postby bird.in.flight » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:12 am

got my paypal balance back to zero, and then promptly closed it
honestly this close to quitting the game at this point lads, just need two pairs of shorts and a summer raincoat

bird.in.flight

Postby bels » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm

THE INTENTION of Fourth Wave No Cop ideology is to reduce or eliminate the amount of time, money and mental will spent on commerce and personal styling.

It is clear that any attempt to do this will be met with two counterforces, the EXTERNAL and the INTERNAL. The EXTERNAL counterforce is extremely well organised, well funded, resilient, tenacious and entrenched in almost all private and public territories. The INTERNAL counterforce will not be discussed here further other than to state that each individual will have to reckon with their own internal counterforce alone and to the best of their abilities.

Fourth Wave No Cop ideology is differentiated from previous waves by the acknowledgement of the external counterforce as well as the acknowledgement of the non commercial aspects of fashion as a hobby worth pursuing.

Fourth Wave No Cop ideology is not interested in the ethical, moral, artistic or financial justification of either the internal or external counterforces, merely that they present an obstacle to No Cop.

Fourth Wave Doctrine
- Creative acts are greater than consumptive acts and not all creative acts are equal
- Creative acts can be experienced by anyone who seeks them out
- Delete any mobile app which encourages shopping as an ambient activity
- Enforce automated device locks on any retail experience that has become habituated
- The most interesting clothes cannot be bought
- When considering a physical retail experience evaluate its worth artistically before considering your relationship to its products
- The most effective way to complete your war chest will be to remove items that do not work rather than obtain the "last few" items that you want
- Under no circumstances underestimate the power of the external and internal counterforces. In most circumstances they cannot be defeated instantaneously in direct confrontation. Sustained, low risk operations will accumulate to create a greater effect.

Last edited by bels on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby une_impasse » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:29 pm

i was doing no-cop november but then buckled and bought a coat

the order was cancelled and my money was refunded

please forgive me, this is my second chance

une_impasse

Postby ramseames » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:42 pm

ramseames

Postby bels » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:30 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby beach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:06 pm

I've been tracking all my purchases this year in a notebook, and now that it's basically December I tallied them up. These numbers do include shoes/scarves/undergarments.

26 directly from stores
15 things secondhand/ebay/thrift
4 gifts

Granted, I had a temp job this year with a stupid as hell dress code, so 9 things were bought with that in mind (ugh). Overall a larger number of new things than I would've liked though, especially bought direct from the store.

As far as thrifting/ebay goes, 50% of the things I cop end up being GR8, and the other half look like shit. It's probably still a cheaper habit than buying whatever expensive thing I wanted originally though.

Anyway, I'm attempting a no cop until Xmas, since I plan on hitting my hometown's thrift places and am going to Spain for a week afterwards.

beach

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:00 am

Hey guys I'm going to make a T-shirt print run of the below who wants to cop to show solidarity?

Maybe mousemats too lets see.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby ramseames » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:07 am

ramseames

Postby WussWayne » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:57 am

I reckon some of you might just be bored with the clothes you own/current style taste. Pulling off a Smiles could be refreshing

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby bels » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:16 am

Some people who appear to have quit the game.

* Rublev
* Sknssaddict
* Tucker
* Newgale (saveeeeed_samiiiiiiiiiir)
* Margiela
* Lang
* Yohji
* Rei
* Karl
* JW Anderson
* Dries Bang Hokum
* Sultanblender
* Rock Owens

bels
Yung Winona

Postby blanket » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:14 am

blanket

Postby bels » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:32 am

I'm experimenting with a new game quitting y therapy where you buy all your grails first and the shock of owning those lusted after garms frees you from the game.
I will report back on its success or failure

bels
Yung Winona

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:01 am

what a coincidence! i'm experimenting with a new dieting plan where you eat all the junk food you want and the shock of eating all the lusted after candy frees you from hunger and earthly desire
i too will report back

mc-lunar

Postby yoyobeat » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:07 am

Has anyone said this yet? I'm tired of buying stuff online and believe that this is the real game that we need to quit rather than buying in general.

Stuff rarely feels the way I expect it to unless I've tried it on in person, it often fits wrong, wastes so much time too. Mindless clothes browsing kind of took facebooks place since I don't really use that anymore. There are hundreds of thousands of available products that are constantly being refreshed all the time at online boutiques and eBay and grailed. Choice overload.

Quit buying online.

Counter argument: " I live in a small town / suburbs"

Great. Use this as an excuse to travel to cities and be patient.

Counter: online has the Deals

Ok, but you know you're gonna end up feeling meh about half the sale stuff you buy. If you've had your eye on one piece I guess that's fine, but the time spent finding that piece... Is it really worth the money you save? I'm skeptical.

yoyobeat

PreviousNext

Return to Tags