[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Price Of Quitting The Game

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: Desire Is Suffering

Postby bels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:12 am

uh.. That jigsaw linen coat that I bought then returned just went on further discount to #98.

Honestly sort of probably going to have to buy that. I said to myself when I returned it that I would if it went any cheaper. Hmm =|

bels
Yung Winona

Postby teck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:23 am

damn i get real scared because i know deep down i do need to buy stuff. i justify it because of all the things there are out there, clothes is one of the few things i allow an indulgence. im not a big traveler, i hate cars, i think owning a home in this economy to be risky. im not a foodie.

humans are built for desire, our insatiable need drives forward our speices and we turn that desire into things, whether it be the will to crush another hominid's skull or build an internet start up.

the sublimation of these desires, and the awareness and channeling of this energy i feel is healthy.

even in buddhism it's not prescribed that we all become bodhisatvas. we follow our path as best we can and hope to graduate to the nxt lvl the next go around.

i do feel a bit of guilt because i do have a hefty amount of cc debt, but its being paid off. plus my student loans are nearly paid off.

however if i were to do no cop i'd simply need to avoid the weekends. most weekdays im too busy/tired to do anything. saturday afternoon is the danger time and i would need to chain myself to something to keep from copping.

teck

Postby bels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:36 am

Are you saying most of your cops are in person shop floor? I guess you live in NY so that's possible.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby teck » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:53 am

yea most of my cops are in person. almost every brand is here so its feasible. part of the fun is getting on a bike or subway and going from place to place, considering, looking, looking again, putting on hold. its a fun excuse to criss cross the city. gives you a mission parameter for the level.

i also do a lot of consignment-ing, and the thrill of finding a brand i like is fun. however it also means that i end up opportunity buying, rather than considerate buying

teck

Postby Syeknom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:49 am

Fuck this is really hard to ignore

Syeknom

Postby starfox64 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:02 am

buying things in person is, in the long-run, probably better for your wallet. as long as you can don't succumb to the pressures of the salespeople, it's so much better to touch and try on a garment. the number of times i've bought something sight unseen and been disappointed with it or had it not fit is frustratingly high, and it's probably better to just buy stuff that you like at full price than swing and miss a bunch of times over the 'net.

there's a pair of white ervell jeans on sale but only sizes 30 and 32 and the model looks really terrible (you can see the outlines of all the pockets) and apparently they fit really slim. but normally i wear size 30 jeans, so should i size up to 32 or would that be too loose? i've been burned enough times that i'm not going to buy them but part of me is saying that this is such a good deal.

i dunno, i think i'm getting to a point where i'm willing to pay full price for a few things each season just to know that i'm getting what i want and i don't have to gamble with sizing.

also monkeys you should buy that sweater. the guy who cuts my hair has a tat that says 'monkeys' and has a picture of a monkey above it. pretty lolzy, although i think he has a full sleeve now so it's not quite as funny.

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby can- » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 am

this is now the French wardrobe thread

can-

Postby starfox64 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:19 am

you are now jdbee

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby Syeknom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:52 am

I don't think French Wardrobe is for me at all

My preferred way of shopping is to be surprised by things in person and buy them then

Syeknom

Postby teck » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:11 pm

i never understood french wardrobe. i don't buy stuff so i can put check marks on my list of a wardrobe. maybe as a beginner you need x blue jeans or y oxford in z color. i have a wishlist but some of the best stuff i have are things i got on accident almost.

teck

Postby Syeknom » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Yeah, I get the concept certainly and for many it's a great way to focus but it's not something I would see being useful for myself (or you, quite so).

bela help me, this cardigan is really destroying my resolve it's so pretty

Syeknom

Postby bels » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:15 pm

I'm locked in personal combat over rebuying that linen coat. Only thing stopping me is the possibility that my +J chesterfield will finally be too small and I'll have to buy a real coat anyway.

I really want the fucking linen coat but I guess it's not nocop if you just buy things you want, is it?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:40 pm

i think the french wardrobe works best if you are a person who likes buying clothes but you have some kind of external factor (college student, dependents) limiting the amount that you can spend in good conscience.

starfox64

Postby germinal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:37 am

The idea of buying only a few things each season is a sensible one and i think in the end most people will arrive in place where they do just that, but the act of naming it "The French Wardrobe" and actively pursuing it and talking about it is weird to me and sort of robs it of all its attractiveness

germinal
Garminlad

Postby bels » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:35 am

It's just a phrase.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 am

would you be more fond of it if it were the English Wardrobe?

starfox64

Postby bels » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:54 am

I'm not particularly against it either way. Though I don't understand if it's meant to be buy five items per season (loads of stuff) or own five items per season?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby starfox64 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:18 am

nvm 10charkljadsf;kljw

starfox64

Postby can- » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:26 pm

my friend is a givenchy buyer and told me last night she can get me things 30% off wholesale price

so i kind've feel like i should get some givenchy now.

can-

Postby starfox64 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:10 pm

are they still making shark shirts? cuz i think you need one of those.

starfox64

Postby can- » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:08 pm

tempted by this

wish it werent black. panelling detail so nice

can-

Postby bels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:52 am

Come on ben. "I got a discount at Gvnchy and now I think I need some Gvnchy." Surely this is textbook shit you don't need.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:29 am

30% off isn't worth losing the respect of this thread for ben. This is like a dieter who fell off the wagon with his diet, promises himself he'll start again at the end of the month but until then decides to binge on chocolate cake and pizza.

Presumably you'll still be friends with this woman in a month or two and she'll still have access to the discount, take advantage of it when there's something that you really want after getting control of your desire-craving-pleasure-satisfaction-desire cycle

Syeknom

Postby can- » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:35 am

well I imagine 30 off wholesale is closer to a 60-70 discount

I'm being facetious I'm probably not going to buy any givenchy

can-

Postby bels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

Does anyone else feel like the constant forward looking nature of fashion makes everyone seem discontent.

"Can't wait until f/w so I can wear cardigans again."

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:02 am

I find myself discontentedly waiting on the next payday too much

Looking forward to F/W to wear x item or layers is kinda silly but I can't dress for heatwaves at all since they normally don't happen so I have been waiting for the weather to swap.

Now it's just chucking down and that's easy, familiar territory.

I don't get people who live somewhere perma-hot and get frustrated at not being able to layer, or people in perma-damp europe who wish they could wear warm weather stuff more often (noticed recently that girls in belgium wear the same clothes day-in-day-out during the wet and cold months but for the few weeks of burning sun we have they suddenly have a wardrobe bursting at the seams with dresses/light-weight tops/flowery skirts/etc - seems like a really aspirational way to accumulate clothes). One of the many negative effects of the globalisation and internetification of fashion I guess - we now all mentally live in some generic East-Coast-USA fantasty-country and if our real life dress doesn't pair up with that environ it can be frustrating or not keeping-up-with-the-joneses or something.

Syeknom

Postby bels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:09 am

I pumped up my bike tires last night and went for a ride to get fast food and thought that the weather has been pretty much perfect at the moment. Warm in the day, cool enough in the night to ride around quick without sweating and wear a jacket when you arrive. When it rains the rain dries up in hours instead of days.

"A really aspirational way to accumulate clothes" is a really depressing sentence. "accumulate clothes"

Are you into fashion, or do you just accumulate clothes.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:19 am

Indeed

I guess a lot of people aren't "into fashion" but accumulation for accumulation/aspiration's sake seems grim to me, but who am I to judge since I'm probably just as guilty but more in denial about it all

What fast food did you munch? We went out and ate vegan last night, delicious spicy noodles with vegetables, pine nuts and seitan

Syeknom

Postby bels » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:00 am

Just a burg and curly fries and a bottle of water. Every so often ride out to the same place and grab one.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Syeknom » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:02 am

Curly fries, good times

Syeknom

PreviousNext

Return to Tags