[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - The Price Of Quitting The Game

The Price Of Quitting The Game

Clothes

Re: The Price Of Quitting The Game

Postby mc-lunar » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:41 pm

3 months no prob AND i sold some stuff. get outta here

mc-lunar

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:07 am

i feel like i've semi-quit the game without even starting it and it kinda sucks

i can go months without buying any clothing, i only wear 3 pairs of pants in rotation, etc. i regret more than half of my grailed purchases – either i find some issue with the fit of the piece, or i decide that it doesn't really work in the ""direction""(ugh) i want to dress in. either way, i'm prone to "unconscious" cop freezes and a lot of my wardrobe is dead weight that i've never really worn and need to resell

it sounds like this is some sort of ideal for some people in this thread, but to me it feels like a sort of a creative rut. i want a substantial and diversified wardrobe full of shit that makes me as excited as my attachment bomber and acr 1s do. i still think highly of style as personal expression and want to convey that through what i wear, but for some reason i've become picky to a fault. i'm also irrationally stingy (even though i have more than enough saved, though currently no regular income) and in a way afraid of freedom of choice – there's so many brands and styles that i'm afraid of missteps and buying things that ultimately feel "inauthentic", even though that's a natural part of finding out what you like (on a related note, sz 10 bred 1s for sale - 250 OBO)

i always expected to ease up on my interest in clothes once i started needing to afford rent and bills, but really i hope that before then i have enough clothes to feel satisfied and contented with easing up on the game. so that necessitates actually playing the game first. maybe i need a job, maybe i should buy myself an astro biker or a j1a-gt for my 21st in the hopes of shaking that stinginess, who knows.

this is a little rambly ofc but hopefully it serves as a counterpoint to a lot of the ideas surrounding nocop in this thread. i'm not sure something as drastic as constant cop freezes are actually workable solutions to any "issue", i think it takes a more holistic approach if you're not happy with your spending habits (be they over- or under-active). i also think appreciating what you already have is a BIG factor in quitting the game, so maybe this thread and the contentedness/curatorial thread could be used in tandem more often

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby Cowboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi everyone

Wow it's been a while!

A few months(ish) back I quit the game!

quitting the game was a very good thing for me. For some reason I always felt this pressure with clothes. Buy this buy that, they said this looks bad this looks good. The social aspect of this world was absolutely exhausting. I never made a great impression to most of the folks on this part of the web and I always strove to fix/improve that, instead of just being me!

I wouldn't say I ever thought this was extremely healthy but I became less and less into it over time. I now surf 0 fashion sites (first time I've logged into care tags and not immediately logged out). I don't buy clothes, don't check the promotions file in my gmail, don't think about the sales I'm missing. Believe it or not I still wear clothes every day and I'm always happy with what I wear because I chose exactly what I wanted to wear!

I said it's time to full stop, and cut myself off! That led to finding other ways to fill that little niche of my mind, and that ended up being quite the adventure! I've been competing and working on my chess and I've gotten to be not all that bad! I love the game so much!

I'm now one of the top 15 Lincoln Douglas Debaters in the United States, and top 1-3 debaters in Texas. To me that's crazy! What does it mean to be "top X?" Am I just being a braggart with the ratings? Do ratings matter? Does debate matter? All these great questions I love to tackle every day and think about and work on! I've become successful in the event I truly pushed myself in, and all of it is paying off and I'm having an absolute blast!

I suppose this is more a "hey everyone, I miss y'all" then an "I quit the game," but I'm feeling happy, feeling comfortable, and I wish you all the same in every endeavor and moment that you experience. The worlds is yours, make it yours!

For quitting the game, reflect, and do or don't. If you are happy, remain happy! If you want to try new things, try new things!

Don't let anything but you guide the decision on how to express yourself.

Love you all (love)

Cowboy

Postby BobbyZamora » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:56 am

when can you say you've successfully quit the game?

is it when you stop buying designer garments?

or is it when you stop thinking about designer garments?

what about if you sell all your designer garments?

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby saveed_samir » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am

when you stop posting on caretags^

saveed_samir

Postby rjbman » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:03 am

and the second you brag about it, you're posting on ct

classic catch 22

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby adiabatic » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 pm

solution: get the phone numbers of all your c-t friends and text them at every game-quitting milestone

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby can- » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm

this thread needs a name change

can-

Postby odradek » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:15 pm

odradek

Postby JonjoShelvey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:10 pm

I quit the game for 6 moths to a year but I realized what's the point of quiting

Gonna buy some cheap as guck geo baskets some acrnm and maharishi

I've been thinking about saving for a rolex submariner but they're like 5k now

JonjoShelvey

Postby Copeland » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:19 pm

Been thinking about this a lot, I have to move soon and will have to fit all of my belongs into one car, so for the right or wrong reasons, I'll have to sell most of what I own. Not to be melodramatic but I realized it's not what you have but what you know, I can buy the same clothes again but I can't forget what I've seen and like, so that's good enough. I think I'm fine with getting rid of everything except for like one coat, but does that as quitting? Do I have to quit cold turkey cuz I still have something on the way. What do I wear after I've quit? I probably won't quit though and just save up enough money to buy a full Margret Howell wardrobe that I can wear in all occasions.

Copeland

Postby Copeland » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 pm

wrong thread

Copeland

Postby bels » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 am

In the overpriced soho cafe that the price of quitting the game was originally contemplated, buying a full margaret howell wardrobe that can be worn in all occasions was the original concept.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:44 pm

selling all your clothes with plans to buy a full wardrobe of other clothes isn't quitting :lol:

BIGBEE

Postby Copeland » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:37 pm

But is it a version of quitting if you wear only Margaret Howell which is essentially the same every season, so that by doing so you become immune to the ebb and flow of fashion.

Copeland

Postby tomsfood » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:40 pm

quitting the game is rarely a permanent endeavor. the game ebbs and flows, in and out. sometimes you feel the game strong within you and sometimes the game is but a wisp, floating about in your idle thoughts.

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby BIGBEE » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Nothing better than a 200 pound shirt to become immune to the ebb and flow of fashion

BIGBEE

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:21 pm

speaking as someone who sold basically all his designer garms

quitting the game is a false concept

you can never. leave. the game.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:28 pm

vfiles is meh but still good advice from an OG

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby _Organism » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Tripped acid last night and realized it's really time to quit the game. I can't help but feel all the time and energy I put into procuring a wardrobe and keeping up an internet fashion obsession was a little bit wasted, or could have at least been used more creatively. There are a few pieces I've still wanted for ages that I think would really complete my wardrobe, but outside of that I at least need to start making my own stuff or finding another hobby that doesn't just involve sitting on my ass and consuming goods. Everyone dresses themselves, who cares that I spent a lot of time and money to do it "well"?

sorry if this doesn't make sense I went on a hike at 4 am last night and I've only got about 3 hours of sleep.

edit: not to get too personal/derail my comment but I definitely think this is my last time using any substances for a while, I definitely don't want to let anything fuck me up too bad

_Organism

Postby Cowboy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:14 pm

So I sub to this twitch streamer I love and get to join his discord as a result. Great times what have you, until I found the makeup and fashion channel. There happened to be a Rick fanatic with a very extensive wardrobe and knowledge base there, as well as a few others swept up in the game. Few weeks of talking to them casually and I'm sucked back into the spiraling hole of eBay deals and lovely garms. Woe is me. Having a great time getting to know the environment/fashion friends again!

Edit: time out of game was 6 months give or take

Cowboy

Postby vgtbls » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 am

vgtbls

Postby vgtbls » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:45 pm

vgtbls

Postby nope » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm living out of a suitcase for the next 3 months with all the rest of my stuff in storage, interested to see how it affects my commitment to The Game™. Definitely some things I already miss, but I reckon I'll have totally forgotten about at least half of it by the time I get back. Should definitely sell off everything that I'm not excited to see again, like a turbo-charged version of that lass who's mad for tidying up. No interest in properly quitting, but seems like as good a reason as any to scale back. That said I've only been away a week and I bought a Craig Green jacket so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nope

Postby maj » Sat May 06, 2017 11:08 am

maj

Postby freddy » Tue May 16, 2017 8:03 pm

I think if I were to appraise my wardrobe it would be worth least $20k right now. After being "homeless" I've amassed a new wardrobe (haven't touch/worn many farms at freddy mommas' crib) where I have ran out of space and hangers for. Maybe I can't quit the game

freddy

Postby wolflarsen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:38 am

I always take the summer off, and I while I might not have quit THE game, I definitely quit one game for another: turning my apartment into a low key design museum and curiosity exhibit. And for some reason, flipping furniture, art and decor comes much more naturally to me than garments.

Going on no clothing purchases for about 2 months -- though shoe wear-and-tear may change things come October, as I'm craving some tan suede and also some side zipping features on my feet.

wolflarsen

Postby Bonobonobo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:38 am

I've been thinking about purchase regrets and stuff lately and I've noticed that pretty much everything I regret buying was a result of consciously trying to evolve my style. Of course it's really common for purchase regrets to be stuff at the fringes of your style, but I think that forcing myself to buy things that would "push my wardrobe further" was just really dumb. And when I look at it, most of the things I bought that were supposed to create a unique style were just following trends on caretags or blogs or whatever.

So I'm not really quitting the game, but I'm hopefully going to waste a lot less money by just buying shit that I like and that I'd be comfortable wearing. I'm sure my style will change over time without having to think about it, and I can experiment by wearing the things I have differently rather than buying expensive nxtlvl shirts that I can't return.

Also I'm just going to buy everything used now, both cuz it's cheaper and there are no lifestyle editorials on auction sites. Secondhand clothes aren't sexy and I feel a lot more comfortable letting something go on an auction.

Bonobonobo

Postby maj » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 am

as of November the 6th i will have been on a CoP FrEeZe for one year, as i approach this date i thought i'd break down the the journey and what i have learned

overall i have GREATLY enjoyed the experience but here are some specific thoughts:

I think I genuinely enjoy clothes. They're fun, interesting, practical and provide and extremely low effort artistic output while also letting me nerd out about random stuff, be it social or design. I took the extra time and money I had to try other stuff, travel, food, other consumer items and so forth and other than rediscovering my love for video games with the help of rainbow six siege, I don't feel I'm missing out on other activities if I buy some clothes I like.

This no cop has allowed me to slow the rate at which I tire of clothes by reducing the amount of content I consume, as such be found I've enjoyed stuff longer and been less swayed by "bad people" who may surround a certain style or look (dont @ me like "that shouldn't bother u any way" because if u think it doesn't ur lying 2 urself m8)

It's allowed me to rediscover old clothes or ones I didn't wear enough, work them into new outfits and old ones. Some of my favourite outfits I wear now are of clothes I had forgotten about or written off.

I enjoy collecting things and as such feel I used to buy items to complete sets and so forth which is fine for microtransactions in video games where it costs at most a fiver, but with hundred pound coats it's not very sensible. Because of such I have made extra effort to be aware of this in the future.

I've become a lot more apathetic towards buying clothes as I just wear the same thing daily (marks and sparks jeans, baggy tee and a sweatshirt with some AirMax) so any clothes I do buy will have to excite me a great deal as my daily outfits are not breaking anytime soon.

price tags mean something again so no longer a supreme shirt for £100 a "bargain because other brands which excite me to the same degree cost 4x as much", it is a "£100 shirt that's like a lot of money for something i have many of"

Related to this all the money I would have spent on clothes I have stashed in an isa, for me, it's reached quite a high amount and it's shook me into realising how much I did spend. I spent 1.3k on stones coats a year before this no cop, 1.4k on acronym coats. blows my mind. I don't think I could do this again ever, that said I do not regret the purchases, I wear them all the time and enjoy every bit of them.

I'm less scared of clothes breaking and buying more out of fear of wearing my favourites into the ground, I have worn the same 10 supreme and maha tees for a year and they're fine, cracked, but fine and that comforts me.

Marks and Sparks straight cut jeans are fucking boss. Comfy. Stylish. Practical. Practical. Buy some.

I started this no cop wanting a grey hoody, black Marks and Sparks jeans and some variety of airmax, I still want them.

Admissions:

Over the period of this year I have received 3 clothing gifts from my girl friend: Marks and Sparks light wash jeans, Marks and Sparks checked shirt and a head porter manbag. I do not count this as breaking no cop. I would say I've worn this jeans at least 4 days a week since I got them, often 7 (gross innit), I thourally love the shirt and the bag is great. I've also enjoyed only having a few new items, I hope to imply this tactic in the future.

i have tried mixed methods over the duration of the cop freeze, towards the start i was extremely puritan and went full saver mode to get the ball rolling. for about 2-3 months i'd limit myself to £10 a week for everything that wasn't bill related, many weeks i'd spend £0. this was doable as i had a lot of school work on, as i progressed i relaxed a bit more and was open to spending on stuff as long as it wasn't clothing. i'd save 1/3 of my pay slip and anything outside of that was fair game.

I have not been free from aesthetic purchases during this time, I started playing rainbow six siege in January and have since put in 600 hours which is quite a lot in between work and uni, and I have quite hooked on the cosmetic skins which I will detail and review now

I don't worry about this addiction, I've probably spent £200 max on the game and over the course of 10 months that's no biggie, considering what I used to spend on clothes

Now

The skins

hibanna:

one of the first i purchased and kick started this addiction, her regular skin is very tasteful, blue jacket with some brown trousers but that looks like GARBAGE compared to this fine example.

ash:

the first ash skin is objectively the best, it's the only skin for her in which her gloves change colour and since that's the only part of her you see in game it wins in that regard.

that said however when the farmer ash bundle appeared i couldn't resist being the ash which runs around and harvests elo, the checked shirt and marks and spencer jeans. perfect

sledge:

i saw this skin set up up used by kixstar one game and i thought "wow this actually makes sledge look cool enough to play", his elite skin is garbo so this works out well

thatcher:

if you play rainbow six this is THE thatcher main skin, and let me tell you, if we're playing ranked i am on that thatcher, ar33, l85 it don't matter im tapping heads and fucking up your bandit

smoke:

i like playing smoke and i like bpm camo, so this works out great. i just wish they would release a good headgear for him!

pulse:

i'm not a big pulse player but damn this skin tilts so many people, the dumbass mohawk, the dumbass mvp animation just gets people wild. worth the £12 just for that.

castle:

castle only has helmets available (no the blood orchid skins do not count) and this is the most luxurious helmet, also it's from blood dragon which is a fantastic game.

update: he now has a green uniform which i bought for renown so it's not on this list.

Valkyrie:

i play a lot of valk as she has a fun gun and i have the sickest cams (paypal me £10 ill give u some hydrating ones), when i saw this proleague set the body was horrible but i saw the potential in this sandstorm level headgear B)

jager:

jager and ash get the most, and best skins and here is one of the best. the lovely tonal green and those camo adidas! this could easily be a bigbee fitpic

i dont care for the skin, what a care about is this cute ass fucking seal and the only way you could get it is if you bought the bundle. fucking paying £7 for a charm!!! £7!!!!

bandit:

this is a fun skin for bandit, it's not a huge change but it makes you look different from the pleb bandits

doc:

for some reason i love this skin, it just makes doc look so good in game, don't know what it is. just love it.

rook:

the first skin i bought for rook was his buzz lightyear elite. the real star of the show with this is the reskin you get to your armour bag, looks really good in game, also that you look like buzz light year

i thought i'd never buy another rook skin after that but when i saw this released! i thought it looked equal parts dumb and funky, like a road traffic officer to stop the speeding ash's

and that's all. i will update in the future if i buy more

in concluding thoughts i recommend this process to everyone, it takes a bit to get in the rhythm (about 4-5 months) but once you're in it is extremely freeing and you really do save a fair bit of cash even if you're a modest/ seasonal spender. but more so than the money it's a good reset on perspective and helps you climb out the rabbit hole. maybe you'll find something else you enjoy more with your time, maybe it'll reaffirm your love for clothes, who knows!

i dont think i'll be rushing out to buy clothes on nov 6th, but there are a couple of things i have my eye on.

:sweg:

maj

Postby BIGBEE » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:08 pm

If they made a physical of that seal charm I would buy

BIGBEE

PreviousNext

Return to Tags