[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby Mippipopolous » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:04 am

It's just so lazy, isn't it? I don't really see the fun in it at all. I completely understand liking the unity offered by wearing a single designer, if I could wear only Schneider I'd be a happy man, but I feel like part of engaging with fashion is about making your own choices, mistakes, etc. I just don't know if I'd find it enjoyable to copy exact looks, whether it'd be from lookbooks or even others fits. It just seems to neuter fashion of a lot of it's appeal. I'd feel like a little kid being dressed by his parents, except the adult and more depressing version of it. It's just so limiting too, I mean, how often do you see good items styled somewhat badly in lookbooks? There's just not really room for anything interesting to be added to the conversation when people do that.

Again, I do think it's important to draw a distinction between people who wear mainly one designer but do so in interesting and personal ways, and the people who copy wholesale. One seems more telling of the person's likes, the other is kind of mercenary-like and just doesn't show thought as much. Interested to see what others have to say though, I'd love a spirited defense from the other-side.

Mippipopolous

Postby ramdomthought » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 am

ramdomthought

Postby ramseames » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:15 pm

Didn't mean we as a group, just wanted to hear multiple people's thoughts on it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing what others are doing/have done but when you purchase an entire outfit out of a lookbook to me that's the pinnacle of fashion as a "pay to play" hobbie. And in the real world that's fine, not everyone is into this beyond a superficial level and copying is an easy way to look good. But there's something about posting a fit like that that I really dislike.

ramseames

Postby maj » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:24 pm

depends how you look at it, on of the main draws of a good designer is a cohesive runway/lookbook so people copying exact looks from that seems natural, on the other hand if a person is trying to build a 'collection' of his own and shops for particular pieces can be pretty cool to. to say one is better/worse than another seems a little weird to me as very rarely do these people who try and build their own collection have anything 'new', it's usually looks of other look books all cobbled together. i think the last time i saw someone do something completely new (to me) with pieces i wasn't expecting was that dude on sufu who wore the y3 with the sisp and gyak that was like a "i dont think i've seen anything like this before" moment but those are very few and far between.

bit of 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

maj

Postby teck » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:48 pm

i think its a missed opportunity. its cool to see a look that has that brand cohesion, that looks like it came from a place you went to with the designer, but that wasn't just a paint-by-numbers thing. lord knows its incredibly difficult to put together disparate designers, and i give props to those who can.

where are you seeing this? i don't see that many fits where it's all one designer

teck

Postby odradek » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:26 pm

i've pulled out things that look good together and when i got dressed i looked down and was like "fuck me, this is all the same season." then i realize i bought all those pieces because i liked them and that they look good together possibly because they are the same season and i'm the only one who knows that, so who cares?

if we're judging by people posting pictures on the internet, then, well, that's kinda lame, who wants to see a different person wearing the same thing?

odradek

Postby sidewalk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Regardless, most fits are just a reiteration. There's only so much you can realistically do, especially if you're confined to a specific aesthetic. It's sort of cool to see it even if it is just a copy from the lookbook. And at some point, if you enjoy a particular season and buy several items from it, then it's hard not to mimic the lookbook at some point; intentionally or not. It's uninspired, but so are a lot of other fits. If you go into the topic of "brand synergy", is that really more innovative than just wearing a lookbook? Putting together pieces that already have a similar aesthetic isn't a daunting task.

sidewalk

Postby can- » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:07 pm

wearing head to toe brands from the same season is awesome. y'all are crazy

can-

Postby eufemism » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:39 pm

I wanna wear bucket hats but I have a big head and I doubt it would look good.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby Runningshoes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:51 pm

Worn nothing but sweatpants and track pants so far this semester.

Got rick pods coming in.

Life is good

Runningshoes

Postby SisterRayVU » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:55 am

I should probably get sneakers but it's not really my thing and I wouldn't even know where to start. But I don't think boots function for everything.

I'm happy wearing flannels and jeans pretty much every day.

SisterRayVU

Postby charybdis » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:10 am

I am starting to hate pea coats because I'm looking for something cheap to keep me warm through the last dregs of winter and all everyone is selling is fucking green pea coats.

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby rublev » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:48 am

So i bought that Henrik Vibskov Finnish cape from their boutique via Farfetch a week ago and just got an email saying the item is now out of stock. When i bought the item from Farfetch it said there it was still in stock, and it was also in stock on the Vibskov website. I am SO ANGRY!!! That's awful customer service!

What makes it worse is that a few days ago Triple Major started posting photos on their instagram of the Finnish cape, and ONE appeared in their online store... at the same time i'm told mine is no longer available. I hope that's just a coincidence :((((

rublev
Political Editor

Postby thomaspaine » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:29 pm

thomaspaine

Postby Runningshoes » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:36 pm

If my first introduction to rick and thom were their runway shows I would probably hate them as well. Try them showing their clothing worn by real people. I think they'd probably like rick (maybe not thom). If I were going to show my non fashion friends rick Id probably show them this

Runningshoes

Postby maj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:52 pm

brand synergy is one of those things where people really support it or really hate the idea of it. the thought of thinking brands make a difference if the aesthetic itself looks great seems pretty up yourself/elitist, but i can't help but feel outfits just seem better to myself when all the brands go together, like today i got all my new stuff in the mail and tried it with my cps but i couldn't help but think 'damn i think this would be so much cooler if these were adidas'. another example is i really like the shape of my reeboks and enjoy wearing them but i kind of wish now they didn't have palace on them for some outfits, or the fact my wtaps vans (and vans in general) feel weird with some of my cpc jackets even tho it looks fine it always brings me to not wearing them or reserving it for more 'american fits''.

it's in a similar vein to lookbook looks vs individual aesthetic but a tangent so brand synergy, the greatest thing ever or an overly indulgent support circle?

maj

Postby ptozzi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:29 pm

I could never take brand synergy seriously. It would get me way to upset, buying one thing would make me reconsider all my past purchases.

ptozzi

Postby sidewalk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 pm

sidewalk

Postby e0d9n0b5 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 pm

e0d9n0b5

Postby hamburgerlady » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 am

hamburgerlady

Postby McOdsen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 am

realized today this cyclical thing I do with what I wear:

get a couple new items, pair them with all the stuff i can in my wardrobe til i find what looks cool

wear variations of it every day for weeks while i'm shopping for the next items

receive the next items and probably repeat.

Right now I got a couple overshirts and been wearing them with a flannel and olive pants or jeans all the time. Maybe that is because i don't have a jacket i'm satisfied with.

Before this it was warmer so i was wearing tank top with an open button down with dif color pants, sometimes even tank top with overshirt which i think looked pretty cool. I hypothesize once I'm really satisfied with my wardrobe (which I think i'm nearing) that i'll get to cycle through them all again which will be exciting

My godson will be there
McOdsen

Postby maj » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:48 am

maj

Postby eskdc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 am

I was thinking of applying some of my knowledge of fashion to styling some elements from my culture's ethnic dress, and thought the most logical place to start would be something on the more formal side. Behold the Barong Tagalog!

In my noob days, I used to think this was extremely whack, and no one can ever make them look good. I've always associated them with stuffy politicians like so:

Thinking they might look cool with pleated, loose pants, hemmed short (not cropped) and black derbies. It literally is just the shirt, they're typically worn with Western style black slacks and black dress shoes, so I think there's some room for interpretation

There are also short sleeve variants that might be fun to play with, but it's hard to style them without looking like a bellhop:

eskdc

Postby Mippipopolous » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:03 am

Mippipopolous

Postby hamburgerlady » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:56 am

hamburgerlady

Postby eskdc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Last edited by eskdc on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
eskdc

Postby teck » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm

is it in appropriate to wear Barong Tagalog under something? just thinking out loud, the fact that it's worn untucked and is seethrough means it could be a great layering piece. think a nice blazer or something.

teck

Postby eskdc » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:12 pm

I've certainly never seen it layered *under* something as the Philippines is so goddamned hot all the time, and usually you're already wearing shirt and/or undershirt underneath that anyway. The only time you ever need outerwear in the Philippines is when it's raining.

Personally I don't think it'll look good. While I don't think it's necessarily INappropriate to layer over it, it's a bit superfluous as I believe the barong is supposed to be the top most layer. To me, it's a little bit like layering over a guayabera, which you almost never see either. Your best bet is probably an unstructured blazer in a summer fabric, in cream or navy. People are certainly invited to change my mind however!

eskdc

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:36 pm

“THESE AREN’T THE SAME PANTS YOUR GRANDFATHER WORE!”
THE EVOLUTION OF BRANDING CARGO PANTS IN 21st
CENTURY MASS FASHION

Ohio State Doctoral Dissertation on Cargos:

http://www.academia.edu/5420777/These_A ... ss_Fashion

UnwashedMolasses

Postby ptozzi » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:04 am

I want to wear more sandals this spring/summer. Liking the idea of birkenstocks and these:

What kind of sandals/summer footwear are you guys digging?

ptozzi

PreviousNext

Return to Tags