[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby eskdc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 pm

saw some guy rocking the Rickdidas for the first time yesterday. My first thought was to take a creep pic, and went to take out my phone to take one before I realized that posturing to take an incognito picture of a stranger's shoes was freaking weird.

eskdc

Postby sidewalk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 pm

polio

Last edited by sidewalk on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewalk

Postby ptozzi » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Sneakers without socks feel so wrong but look so good (with shorts/cropped pants)

ptozzi

Postby hooplah » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:19 pm

i wear these guys:

they're $1 at daiso. they even have little rubbery grips on the inside of the heel so they stay on
i love them but they get lost in the wash all the time. i actually just bought a lingerie bag so i can wash all my socks without losing them
also they make your feet look hilariously disproportionate while wearing them

omg i think my coworker just farted
i want to laugh so badly

hooplah

Postby teck » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Went to the Black CDG store to get some pants i've been eyeing for most of the season. i go so often the guys recognize me. they have the look book printed out and on the counter. i asked if they sell them, or post them someplace, and they said no, but they gave me a copy! ill try to scan and get it up if people are interested.

teck

Postby Baddarn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:02 am

geobaskets arriving next week... When the receipt arrived it just made me think about how much has changed in the last year. Just a year ago I wore everything 3 sizes to big, wasted all my time gaming, showered maybe 2 times a week and weight 20 pounds more... and now I'm getting shoes for 1100$. It's amazing how much positive impact r/mfa (especially some of you guys) have had on my life and how it all just originated in a faint newfound interest for dressing better....

- -
Baddarn

Postby smiles » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:57 am

not sure where to put this

Louis Wong for Apc leather jacket.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby nick » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 pm

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Baddarn » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:25 pm

nah... that is probably a sign of some sort of mental illness or just very poor judgment ;)

The comment was more to show that clothing, or any other hobby, can have an huge impact on your life... positive and negative. I mean, 1100$ for a pair of sneakers is probably insane. But maybe it's worth it since this interest also has lead to me living healthier and happier than before!

- -
Baddarn

Postby sparkyoriental » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm at the university library right now and there's this girl sitting in a computer across from me that looks like she just walked out of a Hole album cover. She's very dedicated to this look, bleach blonde hair cut like Mia Wallace, artfully ripped sheer black tights, oversized t shirt with random a band I've never heard of, varsity jacket, super short light wash mom shorts, creepers, and dark red lipstick and winged eyeliner. She looks good...but like she's dressed up for Halloween. Oh, and a scowl, of course. IDK I feel kinda weird about this, obviously she's welcome to wear whatever she wants, but it's Sunday and we're at the library. It's also sub freezing outside and all I can think about is "she must be freezing!" not "damn, girl looks great." Somehow it looks more authentic on Courtney Love. But on the other hand, I hate how in the U.S. (or at least my perception of the U.S.), outward appearance identifies strongly with cultural groups and is supposed to somehow represent your personality or whatever. I've always thought that to be very weird and illogical - it's just aesthetics. Meh. I don't think too hard about clothes and fashion, and I'm certainly not as thoughtful about it as 95% of this forum. It's interesting to read the thoughts, almost philosophies?, the members here have about clothes, dress, and grooming.

Though I am hypocritical about it all. When I got to shows, I'll wear the requisite denim, leather jacket, and doc martens and I'll put my facial piercings in and I'll look like I belong. Maybe during the day I'll wear my regular work clothes, which is business casual flats, shirts, and trousers and then change into my ~moshing~ clothes for nighttime. Is that even to be considered hypocrisy? I'm not even sure what I'm saying anymore.

sparkyoriental

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:04 pm

I just ordered a beret from France.

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby navin » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Really want this

navin

Postby dzogchen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 pm

dzogchen

Postby bels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:44 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:09 am

Not gonna neg but man, that article sucks so hard. I don't think anyone would disagree that conspicuous consumption is a bit gross besides those who quite literally buy into it, but trying to paint every single person who earns a large salary and purchases things with price tags that match accordingly as being that flawed/weak absolutely reeks of jealousy and attempting to justify oneself as better for achieving only moderate financial success.

ramseames

Postby can- » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 am

isn't it more admirable, or at least excusable to cop jawnz because you're (I'm) desperately emotionally fragile rather than because you think you deserve finer garms than like 7 billion other people?

especially considering that luxury goods, like most first world industries, operate by directly exploiting people of lower economic/educational status.

can-

Postby ramseames » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:58 am

i don't think it has anything to do with what you deserve? People make what they make and spend their money in a way that reflects that and I don't think there's anything morally wrong with that. People who're buying expensive stuff just to fit in, especially things that are beyond their means are definitely victims, but if you make a million dollars a year and spend 38 thousand of that (my 10s google search says the average american spends 3.8% of their income on clothes) on nice jawnz I don't really see what the issue is. Needing a winter coat and going and getting one from Moncler because they make really nice coats and its well within your budget makes sense. You could still argue that they're victims for buying one when there are similarly priced alternatives without logos that might be just as good but I think that's reaching and would stem from a disdain for branding in general.

ramseames

Postby nick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:24 pm

this is starting to move past fashion, but I think the ludicrous pricing of luxury goods is more indicative of income disparity than it is moral disparity. not to fill the board up with "we are the 1% rhetoric" but for most ferrari purchasers, a ferrari is probably a smaller percentage of their income than a lexus is for most purchasers of lexuses

what's the fashion equivalent of a lexus? I think of them is victimmobiles, paying more for what is a toyota but with some branding so you can be seen in that branding. that idea of 'faux-luxury'.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby thomaspaine » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm

I don't know anything about cars but I think it's pretty unfair to assume anyone who buys a lexus is just interested in branding.

My guess is that luxury fashion pricing has been on the rise because the global economy is recovering and the prices you were used to in 2009/2010 were abnormally low. Also China. When I go into the luxury boutiques downtown almost all the customers I see are Chinese tourists.

Some people are just operating on an entirely different plane of finance too. When the difference between buying toothpaste and bespoke suits is negligible to your bank account statement, who cares if a shirt is $100 vs $500, and that's who luxury goods are designed for.

thomaspaine

Postby nick » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:55 pm

yeah cars aren't something I understand too well either so I could be very, very wrong with my assumptions!

I think bringing up the Chinese market is a good point and one that contradicts some of my original thoughts. I still believe that luxury goods are meant for people who money is no thing for (going back to ferraris), and I thought us in the internet fashion community (teenagers buying Rick Owens) were the exception, but looking into things, it appears the prolific nature of luxury goods in Asian markets extends far beyond "the 1%" where we associate them in the US.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby rublev » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:18 pm

After seeing that matrimonioids post in WAYWT i'm gonna wear all beige tomorrow

rublev
Political Editor

Postby maj » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:33 pm

maj

Postby can- » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm

anyone who shops a black moncler garm or H belt is doing it for the sole purpose of projecting the status of their (purchasing) power. we can laud them for having better taste than their cousin who rocks an LV belt and a Tommy puffer but the intent/message is the same: 'Look at what I can afford.'

there are two threads I'm inclined to follow here, the first is that anyone who earns enough to buy this stuff without a second thought has almost certainly done it on unethical grounds, the second is that anyone who goes out and fervently cops moncler and bugati's is almost certainly an individual who's been taught and believes that they are what they own and not who they are. maybe u r car expert who love this thing, or hobbyist who wears one sweet canada goose jawn in all weather. but let's be real, neither of these types populate the consumer demographic of either brand.

and I get it, I'm a human being, I'm all about the hustle and you won't find me giving up my status or cash to take alms on the street. I'm not trying to turn this into an occupy thread. I'm not a Buddhist, a Tolstoy or a Jesus, I'm a well socialized American trying to leverage my education and status into a happy family, income and future. but you won't catch me pretending this shit is fair, balanced, realistic, or even healthy. luxury goods are a black market and the main product is a message telling you that you aren't good enough unless you can pay to play. people only cop moncler because seven billion others can't afford to.

and stigs correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt you've earned even $5k to your name by your own work, so it's frankly vulgar and offensive that you take any of this personally.

can-

Postby freddy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:26 am

freddy

Postby ramseames » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:53 am

ramseames

Postby brusque » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 am

On a lighter note compared to all this philosophical talk, I just bought some Ann sneakers. So that's nice.

brusque

Postby Baddarn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:48 am

After all this recent discussion on luxury, so what about me (and probably a lot of you guys here) that spend a very questionable amount on clothes relative to what you earn? Are those who save up for their personal grail, those who neglect the things the rest of their peers "waste" their money on (like drugs and that very unnecessary cup of coffee) just as fragile and sad as the 1%? Or have we just happened to pick an expensive hobby which is based on one big purchase rather then several small ones? Aren't we all striving for some sort of social acceptance, whether it's done by partying away all your cash or spend 'them on leather jackets?

Should make it clear that I don't feel butt hurt or insulted in any way, just curious how you guys think about it.

(English isn't my native language so sorry if this question has already been answered and I just haven't picked it up.)

- -
Baddarn

Postby dzogchen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:10 pm

dzogchen

Postby dzogchen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Is instagram still popular? I have 20 followers or so and I'd like some more to justify posting outfits, lol. most of my followers are irl friends and family, they could care less but not much.

My instagram is simonllmn. I follow back, promise!

dzogchen

Postby bueno » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Can someone tell me what the protocol is when receiving payments for clothes with paypal etc.? Would assume that i wait for them to pay first, rather than posting before receiving payment...(?) Any other basics i should know? Never sold anything online before. Thanks!

Last edited by bueno on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bueno

PreviousNext

Return to Tags