[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby Blastoise » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Just got a pair of white Utrecht x Converse high tops. Two pairs of white high tops in one week. Preparing for a breakup I suppose. Anyway, should I waterproof them or leave them as is?

Blastoise

Postby bels » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:04 pm

waterproof them.

How do white high tops guard against breakups?

Last edited by bels on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bels
Yung Winona

Postby Blastoise » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:08 pm

The feeling of having new shoes counteracts the bad feelings of breaking up. But I wanted them regardless.

Blastoise

Postby maj » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:14 pm

have you considered joining a fightclub?

maj

Postby Blastoise » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:17 pm

Not really no but I'll think about it.

Blastoise

Postby prawnzee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 pm

prawnzee

Postby germinal » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:29 am

I needed a belt, so a couple of weeks ago i placed an order with care-tags's very own for one of his megingjord belts. The package arrived today and upon opening i was greeted with the lovely smell of leather. The belt fits well and is perfect for what i wanted it for.

But the really impressive part is slappa's customer service. There had been some trouble with the posting and the parcel was returned to slappa, so he took it upon himself to include a free case for my phone as recompense for the delay! This is after i had been thoroughly unhelpful at providing the right measurements with my order...

Many thanks to him, and anyone needing leather goods should consider his stuff: great products and lovely guy!

germinal
Garminlad

Postby slappa » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:24 am

Heey , thank you so much for the order - I had no idea that was you, but I'm so glad you like it! I didn't know which phone you had, but odds of an iPhone was good so I hope it fits (smiling) I forgot to write you a note, but if it doesn't you can use it to keep watches, gift it or whatever.

Let me know how it develops, I used a professional edge paint from Italy on the belt and I'm interested in seeing how it ages.

slappa

Postby harmsalmon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:27 pm

sort of a weird request but I'm giving a presentation on the history and significance of androgyny in fashion for my ap language class, do any of you knowledgable people have any resources about this topic you suggest looking into?

thx :cool:

harmsalmon

Postby Blastoise » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Thoughts on shemagh scarves? Or lightweight scarves in general. Not worn around the head or anything, just around the neck. I've been thinking about them a lot. I think they could work decently with my stuff but at the same time I'm afraid that they might be too much. Might try making one, shouldn't be too difficult.

Blastoise

Postby exprof » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Sooo apparently ? Pretty cool ^_^

exprof

Postby odradek » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:16 pm

my scarf rules:

scarf must not be top layer. that is to say, it must be tuckable into something, like a jacket, even if it isn't being tucked.
scarf must be tucked into gap with "roll" to the material. this mostly precludes zippers, save for a perfecto which builds a nice roll with one lapel.
scarf must be appropriately weighted to the material of tuckee.
scarf must have volume, fluffed like a pillow at a nice hotel.
optional/flexible: scarf must be functional beyond aesthetics.

odradek

Postby wiggly--woo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:52 pm

raglan sleeves are the bee's knees

wiggly--woo

Postby Whype » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:31 pm

@heckawheel I hate to make you the subject of this post but this is a thought I've had for a while and you just kind of brought it up.. Anyways, I get really uncomfortable when people talk about what they should do with their "style". I feel that it would normally be a much more organic process than that.. You already have the influences and taste within you to know pretty easily what you like.. just buy pieces of clothing that you enjoy and wear them in ways that make sense to you, and your "personal style" will grow out of that. I think my feelings about this stem from the fact that I see people all the time on forums who ask about their dilemma of "wanting to pursue a wardobe of both dad-core and goth-ninja" or something to that effect, and its is really plain to see they don't really like either of those aesthetics and what they have to say, they just like the fact they are promoted on the internet by users of forums they know. Maybe its the determinist within me, but I feel like your life experiences and influences will result in a taste or "style" for clothing that's going to be a hundred times more interesting than trying to affect something for the sake of forums.. CMV if I'm way off base but that's just how i feel about it.

Last edited by Whype on Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whype

Postby oucho » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:34 pm

I was in Liberty the other day and they had some Dries van Noten ss14 stuff, some of it was really cool, although there were a couple of t-shirts that looked a bit like they could have been made by someone on bigcartel

oucho

Postby Syeknom » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:39 pm

SS14 dries is one of the best collections around and one of the strongest he's done lately in my book. Prints and colour themes are just so spot on. Was at the flagship today and the collection blows me away every time I see it. Stockists get such a small selection of pieces though.

Syeknom

Postby ptozzi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:19 am

ptozzi

Postby ramdomthought » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:52 am

what kind of wardrobe is satisfying

ramdomthought

Postby bels » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:02 am

You want a strong magnetic door closure so it clicks into place really firmly.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Bryan » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:29 am

Went to 21 Mercer (Nike Sportswear Soho) and saw the RT for Nike AF1's in person. This is how I feel about AF1 RT's and AF1s in general right now

wya
Bryan

Postby insted » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:36 am

quoting some of the above discussion on style and wardrobe, what worries me most about the way these are discussed is that they are presented as separate from life as a whole. i don't know how you can consider dressing in any style or building a particular wardrobe as an isolated thought, disconnected from everything else you are a part of. these things should come from your personal wealth of experience and perspective. like, are you in school, do you work, what are your hobbies, who inspires you, what types of novels do you read, do you read at all, are you into punk - these things weave a mosaic that your style should inherently draw from.

i don't mean to sound exclusive, because fashion shouldn't exclude necessarily, but if you don't know enough about yourself and can't draw some of these connections together, you might be drowning your time trying to immerse yourself in a primarily aesthetic subculture. i know some people want advice, and i guess that's not a bad thing, but i think the process is going to be drug out so much longer the more you "try" and dress the way you want - when in actuality it should just be an afterthought to everything else that goes on inside you, fluidly transmitted through your personal filter.

you can't force a fashion sense inside of you, it needs to flow from the inside out. this is why trends and shit really worry me on boards like these, because it's telling me people are getting some of the fundamentals backwards - and this doesn't have to do with just fashion either. kind of a general life philosophy.

that being said, i understand it might take some time to adjust to your personal sense of style. like maybe you had no idea you could express yourself this way, and you want to get started - by no means is it my place to tell you not to contribute because you don't know what it is you want out of clothing. but i guess more importantly understand that it's going to be a lifelong journey - it's not for rep points or notoriety, it's because you're seeking something out in this world that simultaneously is seeking out you. don't sell yourself short in the process.

concluding thoughts - take your time in this fashion game, it seems like things are moving fast sometimes but none of this is going anywhere. measure twice cut once type shit

insted

Postby maj » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:44 am

I think most peoples anxiety around style is monetary based, when you know you're going to invest several thousands something you want to make sure you made the right choice. I mean you don't see the rich worrying about their stylistic direction because they can afford the mistakes, it's all right saying people should let it develop organically and that but what you want but when what you want us the price of a short holiday you don't want to feel regret in two months. I'm not saying people should label themselves as that's not the same, but I do see why people want a direction to pursue and they feel confident enough to commit.

If the world was perfect we'd be care free about money and accept our mistakes as part if us, but when I've worked a 60 hour week over my summer I want to make sure my efforts were not wasted. This problem is very much a "poor hobbyist" issue than anything else.

maj

Postby Rosenrot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:53 am

Rosenrot

Postby sunblam » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:06 am

I just saw a guy jogging in athletic wear and a leather jacket. I guess I admire his commitment but

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby prawnzee » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 am

prawnzee

Postby bels » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:02 pm

TBQF I'd probably rather just have an OTR leather jacket than wait a thousand years.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby hmwut » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:04 pm

for the past few weeks and i have been hunting down an elusive top-knotted ramones-wearing asian dude on campus that i saw out of the corner of my eye in the art building. note that our campus' general interest in rick owens is nonexistent, so this was pretty interesting. cue a few days ago, i'm walking in the student center to a friend's apartment, i see cryptic and his girl walking around for some fair or something. we say sup and continue on our separate ways.

a few seconds later, i spot a pair of all white og swoosh dunks passing through a crowd. o shit, it's THE GUY. i hustle back over to cryptic, tell him i saw the dude, lead him over to where i saw him. not there, fuck. i scan the crowd desperately searching for a topknot, all the while cryptic calling bullshit.

finally we see the dude, and i decide to say whats up. "nice dunks." he seems surprised to see someone recognize them, laughs, says thanks, we introduce ourselves. dude's also wearing a raf s/s 2002 kollaps sweatshirt, which was sick. turns out he's a sufu og from way back in 2005, on his fifth year at school here. he recognized me from waywt posts on sufu too which was cool.

we're fb friends now and us three plan on getting dinner and as he put it, "nerd out over internet fashion" :sweg:

hmwut

Postby Prince of Scandinavia » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:45 pm

So I was at this pub last night and spotted this guy around the same age as me. He was wearing gyakusou longsleeved jumper, acne max cash a pair of visvim x mastermind japan fbt's and a silver rolex watch. He's 19 so I asked him what he had to do to get the money for all that, and he said that his dad gives it to him since they're rich. I felt quite a bit of jealousy that night..

Prince of Scandinavia

Postby k0g » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:14 pm

I wanted to wear a tie today. But I didn't.

k0g

Postby smiles » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:50 am

I've been thinking about the idea of 'autonomous fashion' similar to autonomous architecture and what that might entail. Obviously it would first be concerned with freedom from the human body and from utility as these are the two main exterior factors that we demand of clothing. To be fair, I think it also requires a separation between clothing and fashion much like buildings and architecture. Not all buildings can be architecture and so it goes with clothing and fashion. This embeds a sense of elitism into the whole project which is also something that eisenmam ran into. Tied with this in some sense is the relation between consumerism and clothing which maj has been discussing and to me it seems that you either have to no monetary burden or no concern for utility. The logical endgame for this is collecting clothing without the intention of wearing it which for me at least is pretty unsatisfying.

Autonomy requires fashion to be self contained and speak for itself, which I think is easier at the level of the garment. A whole collection cannot be autonomous because it requires the hand of the designer to present and explain the collection or it's themes. Even something like cdg which has no concern for utility requires the strength of cdg and rei supporting the clothing. I think aitor throup and faustine steinmetz have come close to creating something autonomous, at the trade off of being extremely expensive. Steinmetz's jean like woven pants are one of a kind but also borrow the iconography of mass industry which helps them to refer only to 501s as a shape while doing away with utility. 501s are the trope but the execution is so expensive and particular that they can exist as objects of standalone importance. Aitor throup accomplishes something similar but with using the tropes of hyper functionality. I doubt throup garments are effective for actual wear and tear. Acronym seems to me to be a commercialised version of throups disconnected functionality. They give off the impression of total devotion to function in a way that makes them unconcerned with reason or human need. Hender schemes manual industrial products could also be autonomous. Rebuilt and patchwork garments could also be autonomous I guess.

Not to fawn to hard over STORY, but I think that so far what bobbin and Katy have created has been as close to autonomy in garments as is commercially viable. They seem to be looking at the history of denim and of specific garments I'm a way that is contained within the garment. Going to India and sourcing highly specific denim is at some level (to me at least, they must feel differently) unconcerned with the utility of jeans in that the fabrics they source are not necessarily more effective at the function of pants then any other fabric. What they create is a product of a kind of research into history, not as reference or guide but as an exploration of the process of time and what the nature of denim or jeans has been and will be. The 'time' jacket, as it is based upon an anonymous prison jacket that has been reconfigured is also autonomous at some level. I think the key factor in this autonomy is a degree of arbitrariness. I don't know why bobbin and Katy chose that jacket specifically to reference but it seems like it was done solely based upon its appearance without attention to what was signified. The time jacket can then become like a shell (not superficial), referring to nothing besides jacketness.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

PreviousNext

Return to Tags