[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion jorts

Postby JonjoShelvey » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:24 am

last year i had a chance to buy some YYPH ss12 hakamas with the drawstring bottoms for like $350 and i ended up backing out. i reallly regret that now. how can i get over the pain of a lost jawn

JonjoShelvey

Postby JtotheWhat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:08 pm

@Rosenrot (how do I actually tag your name? I'm stupid)

Take it for what it's worth because it's pretty anecdotal, but my gf got her Degree in Fashion Design at Bunka Fashion College in Tokyo, and had Yohji as a sessional lecturer/instructor multiple times. She doesn't talk much about it or him but she said he was adamant that women should be skinny, that that is the body that clothing looked best on, and even went so far as to say one student was overweight (my girlfriend said she was not overweight at all, just short and ''curvy''). As previously mentioned, definitely not saying this is the reason his female models are not diverse as it is just a story that I'm sure has been exaggerated or altered over time, but I thought it was interesting and relevant.

Additionally I think the point you made about Rei not being overly concerned with making big statements is spot on. She is a business woman and at the end of the day I think we sometimes forget that runway shows are ultimately to sell clothes.

Last edited by JtotheWhat on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JtotheWhat

Postby Syeknom » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:12 pm

Syeknom

Postby JtotheWhat » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:04 pm

(thanks syeknom) I actually feel dumb cause I've brought her up in a few convo's already, I don't mean to be ''that guy'' but it's just been a couple situations relevant to things her and I have discussed. I actually told her about c-t and how much I like it and she thought it sounded cool but unfortunately English is her 3rd language (after Korean and Japanese) and I don't know how comfortable she would be using it here. I'll keep trying though.

JtotheWhat

Postby navin » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:05 pm

i dont know where else to put this but anyways oamc just came up with the perfect parka; its waterproof, seam sealed, with jacket slings and its made out of wool
the charcoal colorway is perfect too
$1800 though

navin

Postby maj » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm

oamc doesn't float my boat, because of where they come from and when they started they just seem like a massive cash grab (inb4 the industry is a business) and just take ultra trendy shit, put it all together and add some luminous bits, then stick a luxe tier price tag on it.

som1 explain if i'm missing something (probably am), in theory i should love this stuff but the brand itself rubs me the wrong way, just seems soulless.

maj

Postby Rosenrot » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:33 pm

, I'm not surprised at all if what you said is true. Friend of mine who's a huge Yohji fan feels that Yohji is sexist - one gets a hint of it from reading My Dear Bomb. In terms of clothing design alone, out of the three Japanese Masters, Yohji is the least democratic of them all towards women.

Rosenrot

Postby jjetpants » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:15 pm

officially a gap slut after going back on 3 separate occasions this weekend.
75% off sale ended up affording me 3 new pairs of jeans (incl japanese selvage), 2 bds, 2 socks, and a light sweater for <$100.
bought my first couple pairs of distressed denim since high school because if it's good enough for kanye, it's good enough for me.
(btw is there a thread for hauls?)

also, whenever i go to a store like the gap, i'm always way more interested in the stuff they make for ladies. it's always more interesting with better materials, patterns, and cuts (etc). wish they would be a little more adventurous with the menswear and not be restrained by masculinity (if that makes sense).
probably a topic that has been discussed at length - but does anyone else feel this way?

jjetpants

Postby alby » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:06 pm

I work in a Gap (outlet) and for the almost three years I have worked there, have felt that way. I always feel as if more thought is put into the womenswear than into the menswear. I wish we would do away with the graphic tees and typical-plaid-brushed-cotton-button-up shirt. It's the same stuff every season with one or two fashion pieces and it's kind of upsetting. The fall stuff for women has some super cool stuff. There's a knit that is very similar to

I have these thoughts a lot but then realize that it is gap, and they are marketing to a huge crowd and this is what is popular among the masses and will make them a lot of money.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby JonjoShelvey » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 am

just do it bro

JonjoShelvey

Postby stappard_ » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:58 am

stappard_

Postby odradek » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

GBV FW15 please use soviet textiles:

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/comm ... 0s_and_30s

odradek

Postby stappard_ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:54 am

i really like the relative paucity of visvim bants on care tags

stappard_

Postby arcticsound » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 am

arcticsound

Postby balloons » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:32 pm

has converse made those 70s chuck taylors in white in high tops yet??

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby YoungCanoeist » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:47 pm

can someone tell me who christopher raeburn is

YoungCanoeist

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:23 pm

mc-lunar

Postby harmsalmon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:10 am

EG ""expedition jacket"" arrives tomorrow!!!!

even though it's like four days late still very excited :'^)

harmsalmon

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:30 am

i've spent some thinking about the "politics" of fashion, who houses design for, what those designs suggest about a worldview from the brand and the buyer's perspective, etc. i have some fairly solid thoughts and i want to make a reddit post about it but i'm curious to hear what c-t thinks. one of the reasons i don't like balmain all that much is because i feel like the designs are an idealization/idolization of a specific kind of privileged community. i respect the artistry of it and the search for an identity and i think the fact that a young black man designs the stuff is admirable, but outside of the one japanese infused season, a lot of seems to very "white" clothing. there's nothing wrong with that. thom browne is very white. but thom browne is also subversive and while it is definitely an idolized version of white dress, it's also a very "fuck you" version as well. i don't get that from balmain and thinking about the people who buy it makes it sort of worse. the stereotype of rich, new money asians and arabs and persians purchasing expensive interpretations of a traditionally oppressive culture is sort of weird and disturbing.

compare this with any brand that does a weird sort of fucked up take on american clothing. it seems significantly different. part of this is just using balmain as an example since they were the first one that came to mind. it's probably not a perfect discussion since they do have a black designer and sometimes use different points of flintstone, but it was an immediate name that popped into my head. i also don't want to work and this is distracting me in a lovely way.

i don't think it's really all that separate of an argument about why using mostly white models is bad. what does it suggest about the brand and who they design with in mind?

SisterRayVU

Postby YoungCanoeist » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 am

lol

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/101400938[/vimeo]

YoungCanoeist

Postby odradek » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:27 am

fucking crossfit.

odradek

Postby prawnzee » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:11 pm

hey I made these jorts
thoughts on the jorts?

Last edited by prawnzee on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prawnzee

Postby thomaspaine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:39 pm

did you read this article on Balmain/Olivier Rousteig?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 24154.html

Honestly I don't have many thoughts on Balmain because the brand just doesn't particularly speak to me but frankly, I don't think you can have a fashion house without catering to new money asians, arabs, persians etc. I think it's notable that he's one of the few non-white designers and isn't it better than the alternative of totally ignoring those cultures in fashion?

As a side note, I'm always hearing about how a designer has revitalized a once great but dying brand (Tom Ford x Gucci, Christopher Bailey x Burberry, Hedi x SLP arguably, etc), so what fashion houses are currently dying and in need of 'revitalization'?

thomaspaine

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm

SisterRayVU

Postby thomaspaine » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:31 pm

thomaspaine

Postby spahdfgo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:02 pm

They're just making clothes, I really don't think there's any political agenda among Balmain, SLP etc. I don't even think they're catering to white people so there's no reason to cater to asians or arabs.

spahdfgo

Postby ramseames » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:06 pm

ramseames

Postby maj » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:16 pm

my cp company bomber has marks all over it and they won't come out, no idea how they got there tried spot cleaning ect and sent an email to them direct on how to clean it but i must say days like this make me wish i wore more natural fabrics and could just like, wash it.

maj

Postby papabear » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:33 pm

papabear

Postby SisterRayVU » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 pm

SisterRayVU

PreviousNext

Return to Tags