[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: random fashion thoughts

Postby odradek » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:13 am

had a dream someone was slagging off miharayasuhiro. have no idea where it came from.

odradek

Postby Julio » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:05 am

getting dressed is getting dressed, no matter how you try to package it. if i see someone in thousands of dollars worth of clothes looking good in said clothing, i'll think to myself: "they look good in those clothes".
if they've spent that formerly-mentioned "thousands of dollars" looking absolutely stupid in the clothing then that's that; you look bad no matter how much you spent on your outfit.
with these two points in mind is the universal constant that someone who is "well-dressed" or "looks good" in his/her clothes no matter the amount they've spent on it will never be called "an artist" or someone who is "capable of raw and true self-expression" just because of their clothing. i personally feel it's a bit too pretentious to liken getting dressed to any of the creative processes present in the arts.

now if you exercised creativity yourself in order to design and produce the clothing you're wearing then you're moving closer to what this whole "getting dressed as creativity" discussion sparks.
it is in no way the same as a painter working on a blank canvas, or a piece of music forming on the sheets before a composer. for that analogy to work i feel it's best to consider our yet-clothed selves a canvas, and the raw materials that later become the clothing would be the paint. otherwise getting dressed is just like buying a series of pretty-looking blocks that can fit together in ways that will either work or not. so no. you are not some great "self-expresser" just because of your clothing. expression works on levels far beyond that of simply interacting with the world around you; which is what i believe clothing exists to help us with before anything else.

segway:
i am very glad that i need to be rigorous with my buying. i do not have the funds to spare that a lot of other people on forums do/i do not have a first-world wallet, essentially. i feel that restriction on what i buy helps cultivate a good sense of what it is i like; previous mistakes in terms of buys fall out eventually and i've learned from those mistakes, plain and simple. limitation does a lot to help a personal sense/taste coalesce, imho.

again, all of this is just blathering/my own two cents, nothing more.

Julio

Postby Cowboy » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 am

I think Rosenrot outfits classify as art in some manner

Cowboy

Postby mknro » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:37 pm

Regretting getting a place near uni, cause it feels pointless putting together a sick fit for a 5 minute walk.

Not like I don't just throw on a sweatshirt and jeans most uni days anyway though

mknro

Postby bels » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Bloody students.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Eddie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:24 pm

I feel it's a bit pretentious to discount it squarely as a potential "artform" (if you want to speak on those terms). Where does editorial shooting lie? How does visual collage or the arrangement of samples compare? Found objects? These things are also largely 'curatorial.' Similarly, if you can frame the discussion of clothes "interfacing" in terms of physical and (the resulting) symbolic adjacencies what sort of effects can you produce? I think it has the potential to be more powerful than you give it credit for, even moreso when interpreted in the context of an individual's everyday performance. Clothes 'assemblage' is certainly not lacking in artistic rigor if you view it this way. You know, not as a default but possibly..

Eddie

Postby bels » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:51 pm

I agree with eddie though I feel like talking about getting dressed as art makes us all sound loony. I struggle to see how it isn't a creative act in its way though one with a very low barrier to entry (which doesn't even feel like a bad thing). I feel like if you're sitting around deliberating on what to use to convey something that's a pretty creative sitch.

That said I hate hate hate "curation as creativity". I can find no effective way to reason that it is bad but I think I should be allowed to hate things even if they are not bad.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:17 pm

Being a stylist is very different from just being a person who wears clothes. Stylists often play a role designing collections. Styling looks for an editorial is not the same as deciding your outfit in the morning, not to mention that stylists do more than just bring clothes to a shoot and put them on the model. Stylists can work on moodboards, put shoots together by selecting the photographer, hair and makeup and models, pose models, discuss shots with the photographer, get custom clothes made for shoots.

Collage involves all sorts of techniques, cutting shapes, composition, colour, collage artists often paint or draw in their work too.

Iliam mentioned Iris Apfel, but what she wears is part of a bigger kind of performance art too, and I think that's the fundamental difference. The only way what you wear is going to ascend into some sort of 'true art' is as part of a larger piece of performance art. Obviously you can't separate the clothes from the wearer, so this would be necessary. Now that I read your post again I think that's what you are getting at Eddie but I can't really tell.

oucho

Postby Suquida » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:28 pm

Basically what this is boiling down to is "it's creative I guess but it's not THAT creative"

I mean if people need to see themselves as higher up on the rungs of the creativity ladder that's cool, is that what we're gonna agree on, "you're creative in a way but not as creative as most other creative types"

Suquida

Postby Eddie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 pm

yes I agree with everything said oucho, I think this gets at underlying questions i can't answer like 'how far does art extend into the everyday/vice versa,' issues of gaze/performance, etc.
I want to clarify I don't think these sorts of considerations apply ubiquitously or for everyone everyday, I just want to state that there is a possibility to engage them as such.

Eddie

Postby Julio » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:21 am

definitely agree that it's a possibility, but i think that "getting dressed" for your average day versus a heavily "curated" or "considered" editorial is a very different thing. editorials convey a more complete mood/feeling/aesthetic/etc.
it might boil down to a complicated discussion on the intent and reference point/s of a clothing collection or editorial against the intentions present when someone gets dressed before they leave the house.
i think working as a stylist and within the limits of a studio/shoot location to convey the totality of an aesthetic (say, fumihiko okabe throwing together an editorial dedicated to fishing) is a harder-edged and overall more creative endeavor than someone just throwing together a bunch of brooding "street-goth" type clothes to represent their internal darkness or some such thing. weak example; not meant to take shots at anyone or anything, but it *should* somewhat get my point across (ideally).

again, ill-developed series of opinions that i haven't given all the due thought and process to yet (???).

lol thanks for the correction. i was reading up on the death of segway's owner and got it mixed up in my head -_-

Julio

Postby Suquida » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Would there be any way to tag seasonal collections that have nudity cuz I browse that shit in public on the regular and gotta be real careful

Suquida

Postby rudy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:37 pm

people trying to flip uniqlo lemaire on grailed for 200% retail

rudy

Postby gustavobradley » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:41 pm

what is the consensus on uniqlo x lemaire now that the dust has settled? i probably won't ever get to handle it but it'd still be nice to know

https://instagram.com/deadlvng // haelegen.tumblr.com
gustavobradley

Postby tomsfood » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:25 pm

it's somewhere between bela and maj, basically

tomsfood
Look Arena Champion

Postby mahi-mahi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:25 pm

I fall in love too easily.

mahi-mahi

Postby JonjoShelvey » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:51 am

w/ clothes?

JonjoShelvey

Postby dzogchen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:00 am

dzogchen

Postby lyysander » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:31 am

Did anyone else scope the new Supreme x Independent collab? I feel like everything is meh except

, which is dope.

lyysander

Postby kyung » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:00 pm

nyc people

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby pirxthepilot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:17 am

artist friend let slip that raf bought more of her work ( i knew he had a couple of pieces) and wants to give her some clothes for her next opening. all in an 'oh i must get around to calling him' kind of way

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:13 am

The circles you run in Pirx I dunno.

- Friend is Raf's best bud
- Same gym as COS europe buyer
- Same street as joe casely hayford

Probably going to drop that someone hasbought the news agents down the road and painted the entire interior white, including all of the magazines and now there's just this irate Belgian man sitting behind the counter. When you asked him if he had Monocle he got out a copy of "The Origin of the Family, Private Property, and the State: in the Light of the Researches of Lewis H. Morgan," broke the spine and told you it was thirty eight quid.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pirxthepilot » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:42 am

that actually sounds exactly like Donlon books, like 2 mins away. 'featuring window displays curated by Wolfgang Tillmans...' etc. E8 surpasses caricature.
i keep telling people I'm going to move to North Wembley or Friern Barnet in search of arterial-suburb-authenticity but then... I don't.

pirxthepilot

Postby bels » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:44 am

And yet you still can't make it to a London meet that I'm at.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby mc-lunar » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:37 am

mc-lunar

Postby bels » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:07 pm

There should be a brand that changes all of their branding every season. Change the name of the brand too. That would be sick.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:25 pm

complimenting Fashion People on their expensive/interesting shoes might just be the most effective icebreaker of all time

on a related note, met a dude with black/red air carnivores and tasteful face tattoos today, he gets my nomination for Coolest Man Alive

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby harmsalmon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:45 pm

let's talk about this awesomely tacky Soloist video please......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQc3_zWfpk

harmsalmon

Postby gustavobradley » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:33 pm

I didn't watch it all, but that was... something

https://instagram.com/deadlvng // haelegen.tumblr.com
gustavobradley

Postby bels » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 am

bels
Yung Winona

PreviousNext