[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby oucho » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:02 pm

oucho

Postby rublev » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:30 pm

I know a few people who do textiles (print / weave / knit) and fashion at different schools and seeing what they do i'd have no problem putting it under the label of 'art'. Much of the print stuff i've seen could stand alone in a fine art degree but then they go one further and stick it on a transparent long skirt. I've seen intricate knits that have been hung like paintings, or sat like sculptures, but then also worn. Different art disciplines have huge influence on each other and any boundaries within 'art and design' are blurring / fading. It seems pretty close minded (no beef tho) to say that if you wanted to be an artist you wouldn't go down the route of fashion / textiles. If art is about expression and creativity and feelings and hard work and concepts and final products etc, then i see it sitting pretty comfortably.

It's a pretty redundant argument either way though.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby TheOttosauraus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm having a hard time figuring out why it is that some people are hold beliefs contrary to fashion and clothing possessing the ability to be purely artistic.

Using the human body as a canvas enables many artists to transpire both more animalism and humanism in both conflicting and correlating ways, creating not necessarily more or better commentary than painting or sculpture, but entirely different commentary. To be able to use life as the basis for a piece of art is an opportunity that can be wasted if the potential is not realised.

TheOttosauraus

Postby ramdomthought » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:30 am

ramdomthought

Postby ramdomthought » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:36 am

should i sell my toj 2010dr

ramdomthought

Postby Blastoise » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:36 am

What size/measurements?

Blastoise

Postby Blastoise » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:43 am

In response to the rep: in that case, I wouldn't sell it because it's a great piece. But at the same time if you never wear it and you think it's holding you back and you're better off without it, yes.

Blastoise

Postby insted » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:07 am

insted

Postby hamburgerlady » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:08 am

hamburgerlady

Postby TheOttosauraus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am

@randomthought

I'm sorry that my post read as it did. Reading it now does make it seem like a load of crap.

All I'm trying to get across is that fashion can be and has been used as art because the human body is different than a canvas or a block of marble.

but whos being combative u fuck fite me

TheOttosauraus

Postby insted » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:48 pm

insted

Postby RycePooding » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Everybody compliment each other.

RycePooding

Postby kyung » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:11 pm

has made me want friendship bracelets to put on my ankles this summer. also he's a cool dude.

:sweg:

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby RomanEmpire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 pm

I think it's interesting how some people like to think they have some things about fashion, such as trends and such. About a week or so back my history teacher (who's a guy) was talking about called out one of the girls and said she was committing a fashion faux pas by wearing a denim jacket. Another girl chirped in and said that they were coming back into style, and that they come back every couple years. I'm pretty sure denim jackets never left, I didn't say anything, but I think it's kind of interesting how some people think that they know about trends and try to keep up with them, when in reality they aren't really trends at all. Also at the same time if you're a guy and you're actually into fashion, a lot of people laugh at you or automatically assume you're gay.

RomanEmpire

Postby maj » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

i think it's important to separate between micro and macro trends, ie parkas have never been out of fashion but this year they trended hard and if someone was to say "parkas are not in fashion" next year they wouldn't be wrong, on the micro scale. one of the reasons the general public and the high street chains interest me is how fast trends spread, one dude in sixth can get a jacket from topman, then another gets it, then more get it, then suddenly every ones got it and it's poor form to be seen without one then 4 months later they're forgotten.

i think the gay thing is very much situation based, round here nearly every guy my age of a certain demographic is "into fashion" it's seen as cool, albeit at the level of airmaxes and topman but none the less they partake in the sport and stuff at a level they like. when i mention i like clothes to them they see it as normal cool and respect the choices i make, i/they feel no need to differentiate what i buy and what i wear from what they do. i cant hold a conversation about raeburns latest work by any means but a can talk about what sorts of things are cool with them comfortably and all the "trendy" items as it's a universal point of reference, once you start a conversation and people feel comfortable even people you wouldn't expect start talking about their fashion likings which i find really interesting. you just have to create an environment where it is a free discussion rather than saying this is what you must wear or that's shit, but instead say "yo that's cool have you considered?...". that's not to say there aren't people against it but with select choice of words it's easy to defuse the situation or set them straight without too much hassle or hurt feelings by either party.

maj

Postby RomanEmpire » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Good point on the micro and macro trends. It makes sense, but at the same time saying that about something such as denim jackets struck me as kind of weird because I've seen them around here for years.

I haven't had any personal experience being called gay, my friends kind of know that I'm interested, and they didn't really care. They'll ask me for advice and what not, and they don't look down on it or anything. However when I first started getting into it and my girlfriend found out she was ok with it at first, but once I mentioned expensive pieces she became more apprehensive and started making assumptions. Her sister's used to buy expensive clothes and has poor money management, so it caused problems for her and feared I would become the same way. She also said she was scared I would become too "flamboyant" which kind of upset me. I talked to her about it and I changed her view a bit, but it still surprised me that she believed that male into fashion = gay stereotype.

There's a lot of guys in my school that do make an effort to dress nicely (mainly prep) but some of them become pretty elitist about it. They're not into fashion, just dressing well, and I think that for that reason they aren't thought of as gay, and are more looked up to than anything.

RomanEmpire

Postby insted » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:35 pm

ugh i love these recent discussions

insted

Postby insted » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:46 pm

my girlfriend definitely bats an eye when i start to talk about buying stuff like designer basics, because i'm just a poor college student working two days a week and her family (as well as mine) are kind of struggling with money so to speak - but a lot of what i buy is just with paypal money from things that have sold, with the uncommon exception where opportunity cost prevails. but i know she doesn't mind too much because i buy her yohji sometimes lmao

the price that i've somewhat normalized for things like t shirts, jeans, etc. is much higher than what she is comfortable with - she never holds it against me or thinks i'm making bad decisions though. every so often she'll say something to keep me in check, or remind me that i could be saving more money instead of buying clothes, which i always respect and mind because she's usually right - but we always have money to go out, i can pay for dinners, etc. and i'm really in a very comfortable pace as far as my spending habits go. i'm much more deliberate with purchases now as well which helps.

she definitely shows interest in fashion, and i've caught her lately browsing margiela or jil sander or issey miyake, but she's sooo careful with her spending that when she buys something it has to be the perfect piece. i'm a little looser than that, and might buy something that i'll get fully comfortable with a month or so later, or just turn it around again.

i have enough money to pay for things like my oil changes, school books, my gas, otherwise i don't know i'd have a lot more jawnz but be a piece of shit.

i fucking love the self sustaining aspect of jawnz too though, because a one time investment has led to months of clothing circulation, without rendering me broke. it's helped me manage other aspects of my life in a sense because i see investment opportunity now, and likeliness of longevity in something.

insted

Postby TheOttosauraus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 pm

I don't want to be a sucker if you're being facetious, but I don't want to just ignore the question if you're legitimately asking. A last is the basis on which a shoe is built, therefore a different shaped last will give a differently shaped shoe. This http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/ ... k-oak.html (Is there a way to abbreviate links?) is built on the EG 82 last, (Edward Green in this case, if anyone was wondering if and why Engineered Garmnets had started making dress shoes) whilst this: http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/ ... d-g-g.html is on the G&G MH71, and this: http://www.leatherfoot.com/store/cooper ... ast/dp/140 is on the Deco.

I like the 82 most of all because it creates a more dashing, streamlined shoe without going for a chiseled toe, making it a little more understated. The MH71 is up there because everyone needs a classic round toe dress shoe, and I think G&G does it perfectly, with it being not too bulbous in the toe box yet still voluminous, and slight taper at the waist evens it out perfectly. The Deco is the way to do a chiseled toe, tapering at waist and toe but widening quite a bit in between, making sure that it doesn't just shoot straight into the chisel, which is what I dislike about most Corthays. The Deco wholecuts are absolute perfection IMO for formalwear, as a guy who doesn't really go in for patent leather.

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes/ ... hukka.html Corthay for reference.

TheOttosauraus

Postby Vaeltaja » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:54 pm

I'm nearly exactly 32" where I tend to wear my pants, which means that if I lose about half an in inch there I can wear size 46 nearly perfectly again :D On the other hand, my hip bones are like 33/33.5" where I sometimes sling my size 48 pants.

Ah, the struggle. It's warm enough to start working out again, which I'm happy about.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby absurdmind » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:16 am

i feel like theres a trend amongst many people to go from what they consider a rugged look in the winter (work boots, flannels, raw denim, etc.) to a prep look in the summer. i think im inclined to do just the opposite. like in the winter i want raf simons and top coats or parkas with button downs and derbies and stuff like that and in the summer i want to look like im going to go camping or to the beach or something with weird polyester shorts or linen pants and oversized tees and hoodies.

i really like ll beans summer stuff all of a sudden. im buying these shorts that im pretty excited about http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36415?fe ... ndle&dds=y but ill probably get 8 inch inseam. if any of my friends refer to espadrilles as "toms" ill kill them

absurdmind

Postby yourdad » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:18 am

i like to look stupid year round

yourdad

Postby can- » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:59 am

pretty sure this dude I saw is wearing head to toe Adam Kimmel

feels like I caught a shiny Nintendo® Pocket Monsters™

can-

Postby rjbman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:06 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby teck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:16 pm

goddamn it i came here hoping not to talk about normcore.

teck

Postby ramseames » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:27 pm

wish everyone would just read the k hole article about it and shut up about how it pertains to clothes.

ramseames

Postby can- » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:31 pm

the youth mode PDF is really wonderful and spot on, and I think normcore is an appropriate response to the culture I (and probably many others here) grew up in which encouraged a personal curation of opinions (or clothes) over proper human connection and spontaneity. even in 6th grade I remember so much social currency being wrapped up in what you were into, if you preferred joy division to my bloody valentine, etc-- and normcore is a really great way out of that one man echo chamber.

it's frustrating that all editorials seem to mistake the concepts of acting basic and normcore, because normcore has nothing to do with light wash jeans or patagonia. I would actually love to talk about normcore because it has so much to do with how we consume and wear clothes (and the million other ways millennials mutually pressure each other into really ugly navel gazing self-styling).

can-

Postby teck » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm

i just finally read the damn report and i agree theres actually some smart thinking there. there's a realization that trends and the idea of being individual is actually a staple of mass consumerism, and that a resistance to that trend, or resistance to trends rather, might be a way out of it.

actually this is an old ass idea (where you at Weber?) and the real weakness of the pdf is that theres no academic or theoretical framework. it just presents normcore as a reaction to the "indie" movement, which i think means that eventually there will be a reaction to normcore that swings back towards indie. also, it doesn't address the fact that corporations/brands/people (and really ALL OF CAPITALISM) can absorb countercultural concepts (sorry hippies) and force them into the money making machine.

also, i think the report was supposed to be a quasi-satirical art piece? so its not really supposed to be taken at face value? could be wrong about that tho.

teck

Postby iamacyborg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:41 pm

Nubuck jacket update - two weeks later and the jacket is made, just the lining left to go. Popped over to the shop after work to try on, it'll be ready to collect on Monday. ToJ is making less and less sense.

Luxire order has finally been shipped as well, will see how well they've managed to rip off Lanvin's biker pants and whether it's worth ordering anything else.

iamacyborg

Postby maj » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:16 pm

was at work today and thought i saw some 30 year old lady in wtaps logo hoody down an aisle, but when she turned round...

the dude in the palace parrot bucket made up for it though.

maj

PreviousNext

Return to Tags