[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion jorts

Postby pips » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Saw a dude wearing RO adidas sneakers (the all black, non hoof-like version) in some art exhibit I went to over the weekend. They're actually not that off putting in real life / in motion. Certainly not expecting to see those in these parts.

pips

Postby papabear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 pm

Yo guys, a couple of us over at r/mf are planning to start a magazine.The idea is still very premature, join us and contribute!
http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion/com ... _magazine/

papabear

Postby papabear » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:10 am

There's plenty you can do! I'm sure you're a great writer and have plenty of ideas to contribute. Fill out the Google form with any skills you think you can contribute with.

papabear

Postby chilljin » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:40 pm

finally oxblooded my cherry docs

chilljin

Postby rublev » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Are there any Uniqlo discount codes around just now?

rublev
Political Editor

Postby exprof » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:49 pm

Total pocket count is 8 right now, this is wonderful.

exprof

Postby nick » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:20 pm

considering purchasing some jeans and sneakers like its some radical 'fashion experimentation'

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby zayg » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:46 pm

bought a pair of black jeans and apparently the mirror had the big head mode cheat enabled

zayg

Postby can- » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:26 pm

can-

Postby sidewalk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:39 am

polo

Last edited by sidewalk on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sidewalk

Postby popcorn » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:05 pm

First of all, very, very good post , there's a lot of questions in there that can or must be answered at length. I'm not going to try to address every question asked, but offer my thoughts on the same subject, however unrefined or unsatisfactory.

I do think just short of all of fashion involves the longing for attention and individual confidence, and that to try to tackle other aspects of fashion requires a bit of rigor. Being that this is a fashion forum, I think at all stages interaction is to be the highlight, and in that the goal of these interactions is for all involved to gain in some form. On the broadest scale, I do believe most of us are and will be here for attention. But a personal gain might also be critique like you said, or the forming of a lasting or more deep real-world friendship, or simply the belonging to a group of people that makes you feel not only accepted but individually valuable, and I think the fact that posting pictures of you wearing clothes to the internet can provide that to some people is a very unique phenomena and a pretty universally positive gain to provide to people.

It would be very naive on anyone's part to try and ascribe the popularity at large of WAYWT threads to anything but grabbing at attention, but I also think it might be naive to dislike them for this reason (not that this was the message of your post). I certainly wouldn't want people hinging their financial decisions around purchasing expensive clothing to show strangers on the internet, but I don't see anything toxic in people sharing pictures of themselves for gratification. On the far positive side, I would say it's very good that, say, Soundclip can use the thread to showcase his creativity - the pieces he often wears, the pieces he makes himself - and in turn receives word from people on what they like, and then if he pursues selling his own garments, he has a vocal group of people to provide feedback. Of course this is an off example.

I should add I haven't posted an outfit to this thread yet because I haven't any pictures of me wearing an outfit I could say I'm proud of.

This line is a segue.

I got a pair of straight raw jenns and I like the way they look with my Beeswax Wallabees, but they look disproportionate on my legs with less substantial footwear (authentics). I think I'm going to end up getting trail oxfords or some other form of substantial low footwear. It's also another reason for me to buy Tomsfood's red wings :/. I consider this a very direct side effect of joining this forum.

The theme of this post has been "C'est la vie."

popcorn

Postby forestfeet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:26 pm

In response to sidewalk

Short answer I think is yes, people post to WAYWT and other like threads for attention and validation. When you feel cool you want to know that other people think you look cool. Looking cool makes you feel better about yourself which may or may not help you out in the long run, whatever.

Thinking more in depth, I guess, for me (and I'd assume a lot of other people here too) fashion and clothing is a lot more than "put this thing on," it's another form of art and expression. You might argue that putting together an outfit with pieces made by other people isn't quite the definition of art, but I think of it as art in some more vague sense perhaps. You're collecting garments and arranging them in a visually pleasing way. I feel as though sometimes when you show "art" or any means of self expression (music, poetry, dance, etc) seeking out attention isn't always the first motive, it's just that you're really excited about this thing you're making or doing and you want to express it and display it... whether for approval or disapproval, it doesn't matter, you just need to get it out of your head and house and chest.

For me personally posting fits is about showing off the cool shit I've made recently. Sometimes I still wear outfits that don't have anything I made in them, but it's getting rarer, and so now it's nice to get feedback on my designs and thought processes. Also I like it when people tell me I look cool. Fine.

forestfeet

Postby rublev » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:31 pm

This is like the worst weather. Autumn will be worse. I love autumn but i kinda hate the limbo between summer and winter in which it can both be warm, chilly, rainy, windy etc. wtf am i meant to wear...

rublev
Political Editor

Postby ballast » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

is this you

its on her tumblr

Last edited by ballast on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ballast

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Where is that image from.

Also I just started reading Zero History by Gilliam Wibson. Already on page two an effay reference:

“Call him,” he repeated, wrapped in Japanese herringbone Gore-Tex, multiply flapped and counterintuitively buckled.

Visdim? EG doesn't do gore right? Maybe nonnotive or North Face PL?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby JtotheWhat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:05 pm

I was torn on whether or not to post this in random jorts or here, decided on here because it's somewhat related to fashion. A constant theme around me, and something I am noticing that is a constant conflict for many entrepreneurs or artists in the fashion world (designers, boutique owners, etc.) is the constant balancing act of commercial viability and artistic or creative integrity. Over the years while I have attended school I have worked a few boutiques, as well as some ''cheaper'' (for lack of a better word) retail stores and I always hear discussions along the lines of ''this is awesome, but it won't sell..'' or '' this is such a poor design and such low quality, but it's what the people want''. Even on c-t we see it impact how designers alter their collections, and hear of collections that are critically acclaimed but commercial flops.

The reason this is bothering me so much lately is that I would love to in the near (or not TOO distant future at least) own my own b+m store, and I have no interest in compromising the vision I have to remain in business, is this just completely ignorant of me or is it possible? It's always reiterated in our culture that if you put enough work and passion into something you will see some success out of it, but looking around to all the people I know working at various levels within the industry that doesn't seem to be the case, from designer friends with dreams of being progressive designers now working at SPA brands, to almost every retail store owner I know having to carry brands they and their staff don't even care for because it is what pays the bills. It's a little discouraging and makes me think I'll have to just get old and achieve a ridiculous level of wealth and just treat any of my 'dreams' as a passion project and not something to support my livelihood.

Little bit of a rant and in likelihood it doesn't make much sense, but it feels good to type it out.

JtotheWhat

Postby rublev » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:17 pm

It's a COS women's shirt from the start of spring summer.

Dunno if i'd really say it was a blatant rip off to be honest... certainly not the worst offender i've seen.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby bels » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:27 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby greggy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:00 pm

the eternal struggle of balancing work and casual wardrobes continues in Chapter 4: Sweatpants

so, where do I get good quality sweats in £100-150 range? in size XS.

greggy

Postby stappard_ » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:08 pm

stappard_

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:14 am

dis mag is great but I didn't think they were going for the world. I think they're onto being a media contender.

http://disown.dismagazine.com

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby Syeknom » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 am

Syeknom

Postby Rosenrot » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:53 am

- I've finally finished writing the on Sacai. Also posting here for anyone who might be interested.

Rosenrot

Postby ab167 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Dunno where to post this, and I do not want to be too much of a d.so shill. Our of went up today. He was a very good sport. (Non-fashion jort: thanks to maj and the other London-ish c-t folks for being cool.)

ab167

Postby bels » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:32 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:50 pm

if there is one thing i've learned over all these years is whatever you say it doesn't matter as you're going to change ur mind in 6 months, just ride with what you like now and accept what comes later with open arms. gotta keep it fun.

maj

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Thought:

How about a thread where people can post their new outfit ideas and ~style experimentation~ and what have you and get feedback and suggestions from other users? This sort of thing doesn't really belong in the question thread because they're not really questions, Buyer's Guide is mainly about stuff you don't have or only just got when you could be trying something out with existing items in your wardrobe and WAYWT is more about complete ideas rather than half formed ones.

It could be called The Lab or something

brb, looking for header quotes and flintstone for how to make what I just said needlessly obscure and oddly worded

DeafIdiotGod

Postby soundclip989 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Life is a style experiment maan

soundclip989

Postby JonjoShelvey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 pm

anyone have any good articles on hand about post-moderninsm and fashion?

JonjoShelvey

Postby forestfeet » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:48 am

I read the interview and I have to say-- damn kid. I haven't really had much interaction with you, but you seem like a very thoughtful person with a lot of interesting things to say and a really great outlook on clothes. I really enjoyed the interview. (also thanks for the shoutout, I was very touched.)

Ramdom thought that tangentially relates to fashion (not a jort, god damn):

Are you guys obsessive people? I'm really obsessive about hobbies and ideas, and I think part of that makes fashion really great for me, but partly horrible too. I used to be obsessed with collecting-- things, old photos ranging from the victorian era, vintage clothes, clothes in general, at one point sundresses, just stuff. Then I went through a period where I got rid of everything, just was obsessed with taking stuff to the thrift store and selling it. Now I've evened out a bit but I find I'm really obsessed with this sort of trite idea of "curation" and having the right things... not too many, not too few, just this pair of boots or that white shirt, whatever.

But also when I get into a hobby I feel this need to be the very best at it and win and it can make it really hard to enjoy things, but then on the other hand fashion feels like a sense of self and expression, so I feel very comforted by it, I can consume how it looks and feels without buying, but there's still that sense of brain takeover. Is obsession bad?

forestfeet

PreviousNext

Return to Tags