[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby harmsalmon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:23 am

decided that this upcoming school year I'm going to start wearing concealer pretty regularly. the way I see it, if it's reasonable for a male such as myself to consciously make an effort to look how they want to look clothes-wise, it's reasonable for them to make an effort with how they look face-wise. I'm sure I'll get some kind of shit for it but damnit I just want my face to look good.

harmsalmon

Postby balloons » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:37 am

what's the extent you guys would go to look more attractive? clothes? working out? makeup? plastic surgery?

asking out of curiosity, since it's kind of the norm to only do the first two if you're a guy; probs more leniency if you're a lady.

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby JewTurk » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:57 am

I spent a few weeks getting a good skin care regimen and that's really all I do above and beyond clothes/working out.

Honestly so happy with where I'm at with my skin after a few appt's and testing different products.

On an unrelated note, not to be weird. But sometimes seeing a girl w/o any makeup (seriously no make-up) is kind of attractive. It's like knowing they're that comfortable around you that they let down their walls for you. When my girlfriend got her wisdom teeth out I got to see her skin pretty up-close and personal without any makeup whatsoever and it was really awesome.

JewTurk

Postby harmsalmon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 am

re: extent of which I would go to to look attractive, idk why but the idea of plastic surgery has always held such an unsavory connotation in my mind. maybe it's because of the association w/ botched celeb jobs, I dunno, but plastic surgery is infinitely and totally irrationally more unthinkable for me than, say, wearing makeup/getting tattoos/piercings/etc.

harmsalmon

Postby balloons » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:37 am

i go to a quote unquote swanky private school in los angeles

a surprising amount of girls here have gotten nose jobs

and we compliment them in such flippant ways

"wow, the new nose looks so much better"

to which they act flattered but are probably annoyed that it's being acknowledged and spoken about

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby Blastoise » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:58 am

That seems really bizarre to get plastic surgery done at that age where your body is changing pretty quickly.

Related, how closely do you guys tie your interest in fashion with trying to be attractive?

Blastoise

Postby bels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:28 pm

100%

Anyone who says otherwise is a fucking liar.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Ready to eat some negs on that one. You can neg me if you don't check the mirror before you leave the house.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby chilljin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:36 pm

I don't know. Whilst I have never considered myself unattractive,there has never been a time recently where I have left the house without knowing my clothes look good. It's more the pursuit of being presentable and looking like I take care of myself.

What has been really, really nice is receiving compliments, from both male and female on my clothes. People at university compliment more, even random people - whereas my friends at home will say 'charlie you look like you're in a christian rock band - yet you still look cool'

chilljin

Postby odradek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:38 pm

really depends on how we want to scope the word "attractive" cuz i'd have to be crazy to think some of the ugly shit i wear is going to make women swoon.

also i don't own a mirror

edit: i do own a mirror, it's in my bathroom, but i use it to shave and brush my teeth.

odradek

Postby raags » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Pretty sure you're trolling but whatever - there's a huge difference in being somewhat influenced of how attractive certain outfits make you but asserting that everyone on this board dresses "100% to be attractive" is totally inaccurate and dumb. I don't like most #menswear and classic tailored stuff because I find it boring to wear even though it is definitely the most flattering to my body and presentation in terms of making other people think I look good. I am sure many/most other posters here would echo similar sentiments about stuff they do/don't wear.

raags
Best Dressed

Postby agvs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Eh if you mean "attractive" in the classical sense of trying to look appealing to the opposite sex (or same sex, whatever) I'm not doing that, at least nowhere near 100%. I can't think of a single person in my life who thinks I look better now than I did 1 or 2 years ago when I dressed more conservatively and had no beard and short hair. Maybe it's different for me since I'm married and not looking for female attention.

I'm not saying I don't put effort into it or check the mirror but it's mostly out of self amusement and trying to keep my day a little more interesting. If I was young and single I might have a different answer although looking back at how I used to dress probably not much.

agvs

Postby jrisk » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:15 pm

, how does your wife react to your clothing choices? You seem really set on what you like so I'm assume you don't seek her approval or input very much?

jrisk

Postby bels » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm

100% is kind of hyperbole but honestly, if you're not basing stuff on attractiveness what do you think you are basing it on? History, manufacturing techniques, brand hype. All these things play a part but pretty much nothing gets kept if I don't feel like it looks good.

Only thing that comes close is brand hype as there's plenty of times I've bought and worn something just because I thought the brand was cool.

How much stuff would you wear just because you loved the piece but it didn't fit?

Who comments on anything other than how stuff looks in WAYWT?

There's tonnes of scope for caring about stuff other than attractiveness, and I think a lot of us strive for it, but I think realistically we are (mostly) way behind.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby rublev » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 pm

Some Folk outwear from AW14 just dropped on Oi Pollio and it has made me remember how much i love autumn winter... totally bizarre since it's just the start of JULY (probably the earlier i've seen winter gear stocked thinking about it), but i'm kinda itching for the leaves to start falling!!!! lol not really *flips sunglasses and sips a juice*

Wool Layered Pocket Jacket

Bonded Mac (zip fastening is very cool)

Panel Cord Jacket

Folk outwear can sometimes be a bit wtf... or 'almost there' but ruined by something unnecessary... but i'm really into all these. Good start.

Last edited by rublev on Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby inherently » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:43 pm

the way i see it, no one here is really dressing for themselves. we're all dressing for someone else.

our knowledge about different styles, conventions, etc., absolutely determines how we choose to dress, whether we do so consciously or unconsciously. our sartorial decisions convey a message to the people around us. sometimes that message is "leave me alone", and sometimes that message is "i want you to find me attractive".

so i guess i'm taking "attractive" not as meaning "appealing to the opposite/same/whatever sex", but in the sense of "seeking approval/validation" from some other figure other than ourselves

inherently

Postby agvs » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 pm

agvs

Postby Bootz_Rex » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:23 pm

I just got back from a tux fitting for my brother's wedding. I have to pay savvi $200 so I can look like a walking curtain for one night of my life. That's the biggest racket I've ever heard of. Should be like $40, those suits are garbage.

Bootz_Rex

Postby Vaeltaja » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:55 pm

Every so often I see womenswear that plays with power in a domination/submission manner with stuff like body harnasses and some more-or-less obvious bondage themes. Male fetishwear isn't quite as defined, though. There exist things like leather daddies, but that's almost more a subculture and if their defining feature is "all leather everything," then well, that already exists in the fashion world. Similarly male domination doesn't really have an "outfit," probably because the BDSM world, men are less sexualized than women, usually (at least in wardrobe... that is leather and latex and stuff like that are generally more seen on women than men besides the previously mentioned leather daddies). However, male submission sort of turns this all around. While there isn't exactly an "outfit" to play with, certainly the concepts of bondage play well here. After all, we do sometimes see bondage themes creep into fashion. The only example I can think of where there's a sort of men-in-bondage scenario is the Phenomenon "shibari" bomber, but that might be considered a bit of a stretch.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby JonjoShelvey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:20 pm

JonjoShelvey

Postby nevergreen » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:24 pm

collection overall to me is okay but the biker pants seem cool and the airport jacket is really nice especially in that cream color

nevergreen

Postby mc-lunar » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:57 pm

From the comments section

Anyways, i'd wear the bikers and obviously the fur bomber, but the only things I could think of actually purchasing are the military pants and stonewash denim. End will have good measurements, right? I might finally cop myself the jeans if the thighs are big enough. I wish this was the kind of collection that might make it to sales because that would make the prices a lot more palatable

mc-lunar

Postby HeavenResign » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:11 pm

I really love the 4 zip parka, really want to see the version without fur

HeavenResign

Postby maj » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:12 pm

those prices look proper $$$ apc, is the stuff really that expensive over there? i mean comparatively speaking compared to the cost of living apc feels like it's a lot cheaper here, not sure why one would touch it at those prices unless on sale. but then again these could be average prices for u.

maj

Postby charybdis » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:22 pm

I think it's pretty normal APC retail pricing, but I feel like I usually expect APC stuff to go on sale (even if it's 10-20%), where APCKANYE is probably going to sell out at retail.

(By over there are you referring to France or the US?)

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby CleanThug » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm

acr's newsletters are great, highly reccommend you guys to sign up for them

CleanThug

Postby ballast » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm

well my day just got a whole lot better. (smiling)

: it's the black long-sleeve shirt. think she remembered when i was a bit sad it wasn't made in white.

ballast

Postby can- » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 pm

airport sweater!!!!!!

can-

Postby exprof » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:09 pm

I was cleaning out the garage earlier and stumbled across my dad's vintage belstaff jacket from the 70's (the waxed cotton trialmaster), so sad I'm too small for it :[

edit:

exprof

Postby can- » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:08 pm

if you look at the collection as kanye for APC it's actually pretty nice and makes a lot more sense for the brand than the first one with those weird "fashion" hoodie/t shirt/jeans that could've been #ssur, #beentrill, #xibalba etc. Like any good apc collection, it takes what's trending at this very moment and recontextualizes it so that it doesn't look corny, obvious or cheap. APC is like bizarro-topman in this way. it would be nice to see some shoes in this collection, i bet APC could do a very good job if they wanted to knock off wheat timbs.

people have really high expectations for kanye, but the collection is about what you'd expect from someone who is more famous for wearing clothes than designing them. he's a competent stylist as i'd hope anyone who's spent as much time and money would be.

can-

PreviousNext

Return to Tags