[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby ramseames » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:06 am

The answer to "who would actually wear that?" is always bloggers.

ramseames

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 am

+ 90s variant of the supervillian Venom

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby BobbyZamora » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Luchadores

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby maj » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm

my blue jeans are still drying from the washing machine as i finally thought i'd get rid of the precariously place mayo stain, it has lead me to reach for alternatives in my pants game and i've resorted to my old black jeans. feels good constructing an outfit i wouldn't have otherwise worn.

maj

Postby RycePooding » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:54 pm

Precariously placed stains are the worst.

I'm finding that having less pairs of pants is so much more preferable then having more. I could probably get by on blue jeans/black jeans/rust-chinos for the rest of my life, but could never live like that with shirts. I only wore white tees for a while this summer, but my need for variety is much greater on my torso.

RycePooding

Postby omgimacarrot » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 pm

omgimacarrot

Postby pips » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:05 am

I wish there was a better secondhand market for RO/Ann D/cdg/YY/MMM and similar brands for womenswear. Or maybe I'm just not net savvy enough to get to the good stuff?

This got me thinking about the differences with the spending and reselling habits of men and women. Do women simply discard the things they buy after they tire of it or do they just keep them buried at the back of their closets to rot? Is this a result of the fast fashion mentality that a lot of women have? Why does the menswear secondhand market have much more varied choices at good prices? Do women like buying at sales better than secondhand? Questions questions questions.

pips

Postby Syeknom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:12 am

Yeah apart from stylezeitgeist and ebay what else is there? Raukten? I've been thinking about it too recently why women don't have this same healthy aftermarket but can't work out a good for there to be so little around.

Syeknom

Postby okayfruit » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 am

A lot of women tend to be pretty uncomfortable wearing pretty used items, and the ones who do buy on etsy. Speaking of which, there's a lot of really great vintage issey miyake pieces on etsy for super reasonable prices so you definitely need to check that out. Also, most used high end stuff for women tend to gravitate to the resellers like yoogi's closet or w/e, or consignment stores.

Or you know, buy my stuff when I have stuff to sell @ u @

okayfruit

Postby Syeknom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:22 am

Why would that be a feeling more prevalent amongst women than men though? I know that when I got into this thing of ours that I was adamant that I wouldn't wear second-hand stuff and didn't even check BST forums/ebay. Now I'm all up on that but I find this idea that women in general have more issues with second-hand clothing somewhat strange.

Syeknom

Postby okayfruit » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:32 am

Ah, I meant it as, the women in my life tend to be more "ehhhh" about getting second-hand items. My mother tends to see buying second-hand clothes to be the same thing as buying secondhand underpants or utensils, and she treats clothing as items that are very personal to her and gets upset when other people handle her stuff.

okayfruit

Postby pips » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:49 am

Listings for womenswear are so few and far in between even on SZ, where you'd expect it to flourish the most. Ebay I think is the best place to get things for a good price. There are online consignment shops like guyiconsignment and ina nyc but since they know the value of the items naturally they'd list it at a higher price. I'd venture into Y!Japan auctions and Rinkan if it wasn't difficult... maybe once I get more confident with making online purchases and all the complications that come with buying stuff from Japan.

I dont know where this aversion with secondhand clothing comes from, honestly. I'd like to think it's not so shameful to wear old clothing anymore, especially now that thrifting is more popular than ever before but who knows. Maybe the target market of those designers dont bother with internet forums and reselling their clothing is the least of their concern. Like, I imagine the person who can actually afford to buy Ann or Rick at full price probably wouldn't spend so much time online.

pips

Postby Syeknom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:55 am

Syeknom

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm

is it maybe that there's more of a mindset of trading up/out clothing for men? kind of feel many women have this emotional connection to keeping their clothes and having a large wardrobe with many options. think of all the stories of women keeping clothing that doesn't fit anymore or doesn't match their style. i think, also, there might be this attitude that it's a bit crass to resell items or have to recycle funds into other garments. or an attitude as others mentioned of being grossed out by used items.

purely anecdotal, of course.

would second etsy/ebay/real-life consignment stores as the main avenues for women. places like laws of general economy seem to be an anomaly.

schiaparelli

Postby can- » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:48 pm

can't get over this Stella McCartney bomber. love how it simultaneously shows off and occludes the woman's body depending on how you choose to look at it-- one way, her skin color simply gives the garment tone, but if you care to see it, the exact lines of her body are visible.

can-

Postby RycePooding » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:26 pm

My little brother has raided my closet for the last ~6-7 years and now his entire wardrobe is comprised of my past mistakes. It's hilarious, and I thought today was a particularly good example.

RycePooding

Postby omgimacarrot » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:11 pm

I've spent about $100 in basics from Uniqlo because my shoulders gained about an inch and a half from working out. They emailed me saying the dry packaged t shirt ($5) wasn't in stock, so they have me $20 off my next purchase. That's pretty damn awesome.

omgimacarrot

Postby purkinje » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:33 pm

I melted my favorite carhartt beanie by setting it on a wood stove over Thanksgiving break. Whole house smelled like burnt plastic for the good part of a day :/

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby RycePooding » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm

There is nothing better than a carhartt beanie.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

RycePooding

Postby b4my » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 am

(joining in sadness)

I bought a cav empt jacket and it was too big and now I have to resell it ;_; it was the best jacket too.

I'm convinced that the perfect bomber jacket is a myth.

b4my

Postby ramseames » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:02 am

What size is it?/which one?

ramseames

Postby b4my » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 am

This one in large. It fits closer to a true large than I assumed it would, still a bit on the smaller side though.

b4my

Postby ramseames » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:20 am

I'd be interested to know the measurements

ramseames

Postby teck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:54 am

you guys ever think "if i didn't have fashion, i wouldn't have anything"? like, for me, fashion and such make up a huge part of my personality and knowledge base. its hyperbole but i fear that if i didnt have it i'd just be an "ordinary" Asian dude with a desk job. i don't really have an expertise in anything else

teck

Postby RycePooding » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:09 pm

If you didn't have fashion, you'd have something else.

RycePooding

Postby Syeknom » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Fashion is just the symptom, your curiosity and intellect are the root

Syeknom

Postby bels » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:07 pm

I've got expertise in loads if stuff other than fashion and I assume you do too unless you were effay since birth. And to be honest if you were effay since birth you'd be super not ordinary

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Renalan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:45 pm

thought:

never going to escape bis cas association despite virtually every fit i've posted in the last year being some sort of street/sportswear

Renalan

Postby rudy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Lately I've thought that this sort of print on the back of jackets is really cool. Undercover does some similar stuff which I like. Anybody know more about this? How/when it got started? Are the ones that I posted likely just spraypaint? Been thinking of messing with an old winter coat.

rudy

Postby hooplah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:59 pm

obligatory

just popped up on my tumblr feed

hooplah

PreviousNext

Return to Tags