[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Random Rhetorical Hypebeast Fashion Thoughts

Clothes

Re: ramdom fashion thoughts

Postby can- » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:57 pm

ervell and schneider realistically go with almost anything, but if you really want to get nerdy about it (not that i love getting obnoxiously nerdy about brand synergy or anything):

wear ervell with: DKNY, prada, jil sander, common projects, ami, death to tennis, supreme, ale et ange, adam kimmel, and new balance

wear schneider with: peir wu, veilance tailoring/vests, margiela, guidi (their reasonable options, none of that goofy cuban heel stuff people wear with julius), damir doma, and Dries

wear both with acne, certain doc martens, etudes, arpenteur, and COS, and raf simons

can-

Postby RycePooding » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 pm

as I am mega-paring-down my wardrobe i find myself thinking about brand synergy quite a bit, and it is stressful.

uniqlo and dana lee are all i'm comfortable in anyway

RycePooding

Postby hooplah » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:15 pm

i fucking when t-shirts have those sleeves that are stitched on the outer edge to stay rolled
i have no idea how to properly explain what i'm talking about but fucking hell i hate it

also i was thinking of how to properly describe my style today (which is so narcissistic but sorry)
so usually i would just say boring or basic or whatever
because i don't really like being singled out for how i dress; my goal is not for people to be like "wow i love your _______." i'd rather focus on consistency in simple dressing with a pared down color palette. and casualness and comfort are paramount to me.

anyway i was mulling over the fact that i am not really drawn to "statement pieces," things that would call unnecessary attention to themselves as a singular element of an outfit (i much prefer nondescript basics)
holy shit i sound like such a fuckwad right now
THE POINT IS i came up with the idea that i don't like wearing items/garments that override my own personal style

hooplah

Postby RycePooding » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:26 pm

Im picking up what you're putting down irt simple basics that you like. As I evaluated entire wardrobe, deciding what to sell/donate/keep I find myself keeping the most simple stuff and selling the random shit I've bought thinking maybe it'll fit in my wardrobe one day.

RycePooding

Postby oieoou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Wearing "simple, basic" clothing is also my thing right now. I feel like "show" pieces have their place, like in runway fashion and in wardrobes of people that have an "out-there" personality. Never feel like you have to have crazy pieces to complete your wardrobe if youre not happy with them, once you start feeling bad about what you have/wear is the minute you should reevaluate things.

oieoou

Postby schiaparelli » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:00 pm

hoops, that is really interesting because i feel that is an evolution i had to get through over time. at the beginning of my fashion journey i was very into statement pieces (i mean, after i graduated from the preschooler's-understanding-of-jcrew style that was all bright pants! blazers over graphic tees! scarves!) and things that were really knockout crazy kinds of things

i think part of it is that the person i am—rather quiet and unassuming—it's just more comfortable to dress to this degree of looking unremarkably good and stop there. one thing, too, that i remember talking about with a lot of FFA girls way back when, is that newbies to style often gravitate to very specific personable strongly-coded pieces, because it's kind of an easy way to wear a style and be really explicit about "hey, i'm trying to be fashionable".

for me now, i kind of feel that i'm starting to move back into being interested in cooler/more out-there things, but there's still this baseline level of appreciation and contentment with just wearing stuff that fits and isn't anything exciting at all, it just makes me feel presentable and good. i think having this foundation of comfort with my everyday uniform-y basic boring shit means i don't feel i need this crazy piece and then i get it and think "what the hell do i wear this with, it's so loud/different against everything else i do"

also, street style at fashion weeks started turning into a circus and an undue spectacle sometimes, which i think had something to do with it. i just like calmness and gentleness in aesthetic.

schiaparelli

Postby charybdis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 pm

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby oieoou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:36 pm

oieoou

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:35 am

Lots of outfits like this:

At least, that's what I assumed from her comment? I could be wrong, I don't follow fashion week street style.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:48 am

It's not just the outfits, have you ever seen some of the footage from the streets outside the shows? Herds of shutters sprinting and snapping furiously at whoever the mob has decided deserves the spotlight.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby oieoou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 am

I think I misunderstood her comment on street style, I see what she means now by the absolute craziness that goes on outside fashion shows and the effect it has on her wardrobe. Both comments by IDress and Unwashed helped me jog my memory and understanding. Dankeshoen.

oieoou

Postby sunblam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:22 am

Hello hello
I love you I love you
(maybe)
sunblam

Postby bels » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 am

I think there's something cool about having a wardrobe so giant and extravagant that although if you want you can dress in refined minimal comfortable basics subdued palette, you can also bust out a sparkly outfit, or a cyberpunk outfit, or a menswear outfit.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oieoou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 am

I think the idea of a large wardrobe comes down to personality no?

oieoou

Postby bels » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:15 am

It's not for everyone but I don't think a capsule wardrobe of basics is for everyone either.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oieoou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:17 am

Thats just as true as having a large wardrobe

oieoou

Postby Syeknom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:27 am

I don't find the capsule of basics at all moving for myself (though see the appeal for others certainly) - I love the idea of a wardrobe full of interesting pieces that may be difficult to combine but are special and fun. Perhaps it's because I have few opportunities to wear casual clothing that "fun" is very much a priority over consistency.

"Fun" for me, however, is not rooted in extravagance but I really connect with schiaparelli's thoughts on relaxed/gentle/unassuming clothes - I want individual clothes with a rich background/design/style but that come together to make something very relaxed and calm. Even if individual pieces themselves might be quite bold (I really want a Dries paisley shirt this sales period!) I want to bring them together in confident, easy harmony. It's not easy but the idea of having a medium sized wardrobe that can accomplish this whilst still providing personal satisfaction/excitement is my driving force.

Syeknom

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:34 am

Capsule wardrobes are a bit boring. I have one, though it's the result of budget and general pickiness more than anything.

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Runningshoes » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:00 am

I like the skirted pants look what can I use for the skirt ? Something cheap http://www.style.com/fashionshows/compl ... ARGIEL/#12

Runningshoes

Postby Capt » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:41 pm

Cheapest way to do it would be a DIY copy of some of the added skirts from RO or Givenchy. But you can achieve a similar skirt-like affect with longer shirts or flannel tied around the waist.

Capt

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:24 pm

today i started feeling like all of care-tags is a conspiracy to make me fall in love with marni. and then i realized it was just whinefields, what with his and .

schiaparelli

Postby teck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:37 pm

yo i saw some dope fits come out of sufu recently and it made me real frustrated because honestly i dont think im at that level yet.

its tough to keep up with fashion. despite what folks say style and money are close bedfellows.

i know myself and im not the type of dude who is just going to be ok wearing just basics, no matter how much coolness i got.

i know myself and im not cool.

its making me really double think my next purchase, which works anyways since i need to get xmas gifts.

but how can i make purchases when i dont know how to put shit together.

teck

Postby oieoou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:44 pm

You just gotta have fun with it man. Unless you dont like having fun with it. Idk im hungry

oieoou

Postby teck » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm

teck

Postby oieoou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:11 pm

By what standard is "simple?" Is there a baseline? I dont think so because i believe all of fashion is subjective. "Toe-mayto, toe-mawto" ya know? I have a rough idea as to what basic is to you, what would then be "unique" or "showcase-y?" Im genuinely interested.
P.s. Anyone can answer this as im interested in knowing more about caretaggers.

oieoou

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I think what teck is touching on is the difference between simple and unassuming. Something doesn't have to be modest or plain or understated to be simple. Long tee + black leather jeans + space boots is definitely simple, but also says you're trendy/edgy/different. Something like brown boots + blue jeans + white tee is also simple but says traditional/classic/sensible. One is more stylistically outgoing while the other is more reserved or just neutral.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby schiaparelli » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Last edited by schiaparelli on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schiaparelli

Postby hooplah » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

i love that on certain fashion forums, when someone asks "how do you guys afford the stuff you wear?" they get negged/flamed to oblivion

it's as if people are too ashamed or proud to admit that past a certain point, fashion is indisputably tied to money. it's like this dirty secret that no one wants to acknowledge.

hooplah

Postby RycePooding » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:38 pm

only wanting to wear margiela/rick/raf/jil etc etc etc and only being able to wear uniqlo is a nightmare scenario.

luckly I'm gigantic and my tastes trend towards a lot of ll bean, vintage woolrich and other things. Maybe this was dicataed to me via being poor and shopping at thrif stores for so long, my style has trended towards that, but i feel like i'm still learning and 'evolving'

RycePooding

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:39 pm

It's interesting what you're going after here schiaparelli. People gravitate towards things that are recognizably "fashionable" - hyped items, baller sneakers, signature outerwear - and yet how often have people unilaterally praised a picture of a homeless man? More than style, money buys access to the fashion community. It allows you to purchase signifiers that let others know you're "in" or you're "with it", that you know the rules behind the game. When you see a leather with knit sleeves or the red sole under a pair of heels or some white sneakers with a series of gold numbers they're signs that say "I belong".

UnwashedMolasses

PreviousNext

Return to Tags