[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Designers 101

Designers 101

Clothes

Re: Designers 101

Postby Mippipopolous » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Could anyone give me any info on The Viridi-anne?

Mippipopolous

Postby thomaspaine » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:59 pm

thomaspaine

Postby balloons » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm

nbhd and sophnet are two brands I don't know much about and would like to know more about

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby ramseames » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:49 pm

I can talk about both of them tonight once I'm into my hotel.

ramseames

Postby sid3000 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:58 am

does anyone have an opinion on 'arts & science'? I cant tell if it's something worth monitoring or a kitschy #lifestyle brand

they make a lot of knick knacks (my weakness)

sid3000

Postby whinefields » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:27 am

anyone have any info on 08 sircus? this one store in la carries the brand - along with mastermind and kolor - but i had never heard of it before.

whinefields

Postby Vaeltaja » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:53 am

Any info on Obscur?

I know a bit about the brand, but not a whole lot.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby ramseames » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:25 am

Balloons I don't feel 100% right now so I'm just gonna run through NBHD quick and then tomorrow I'll go over what I know about soph aight?

Founded in 94 by Shinsuke Takizawa. The name literally refers to the neighborhood of Harajuku, where him and his friends were living at the time (and where the vast majority of Tokyo's fashion culture is situated nowadays). The general concept behind the brand is doing relatively basic pieces with influences from motorcycling (they actually have helmets for sale) and then to a lesser extent other subcultures/themes like the military, trad wear, etc. They have their mainline which is quite american in terms of where those influences are originating, they have Luker which is supposed to be a little less expensive and looking towards Britain instead of the US, they have SVG archives which I don't really understand the distinction between mainline and it but they release some of the best pieces under it so its worth mentioning, and then they have their kid's line One Third, literally referring to the scale of the pieces. They've got 10 stores of their own, 2 flagships (harajuku and shibuya, like a 15 min walk apart), and then 8 stores in Japan and China called Hoods. They collaborate occasionally, they did converse first strings recently, some limited edition denim for Heineken, a rain smock with cav empt, they do loads of sunglasses with Effector, and probably some others.

No different from any of the other brands at this price point/doing this sort of thing where a much greater portion of what western stockists carry than they should is just screenprinted tees and sweats and stuff. Which is a shame, because the things they do really well are stuff like the flannels, denim, and big shitty looking milsurp-esque coats and such. Quality is generally quite high, its not a repro brand and some things come predistressed, but its all "worth" the price and probably a lot better value than most. Plus there's a large secondhand market for it and you can find things in good-decent condition for fractions of MSRP in places like:

Album of some of my favourite/the most unique pieces they've done:

Lookbook links:

Short interview that haven did with him:

ramseames

Postby bels » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:24 am

someone explain the difference between Robert Geller and Patrick Ervell to me?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby germinal » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:16 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby can- » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:56 am

ervell's clothes are much more modern, restrained and fundamentally based in American sportswear. the geller ideal is more in line with ann, schneider, harnden-- it's a very gothic, dark and romantic characterization coming from the 1800s

can-

Postby Vaeltaja » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 am

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby ramseames » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:52 pm

dun worry i didn't forget about you

ramseames

Postby grippers » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:16 am

Any info on Blackmeans & Yujiro Komatsu?

grippers

Postby Mippipopolous » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:27 am

How about Nom de Guerre? I've seen some cool pieces I like here and there in SF WAYWTs and classifieds, but know next to nothing about the brand.

Mippipopolous

Postby balloons » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 am

Tiger of Sweden

anything worth knowing about them or is it just kind of like Acne but not as big here for whatever reason

grailed --

instagram --
balloons

Postby parastexis » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:13 am

I've been reading a little about Hiroshi Fujiwara but would like to know more

parastexis

Postby ramseames » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:29 am

Fujiwara I covered a little bit in the short thing I wrote about soph, but basically he's like the godfather of harajuku street fashion. He has his own design company called fragment, he designs for soph with uniform experiment, he had a collab with levis for a while called fenom, he's the H in nike HTM (http://www.businessoffashion.com/2013/1 ... chine.html), he's designed guitars for eric clapton, he was a hiphop DJ in the 80s, etc etc.

I preordered this book on him back in september but it keeps getting delayed which blows: http://www.amazon.com/Hiroshi-Fujiwara- ... 847842398/

ramseames

Postby can- » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 pm

can-

Postby Syeknom » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Syeknom

Postby McOdsen » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:11 pm

, regarding the NdG original shop and its inconspicuous location and all that, what's the point? Exclusivity? How do they make enough money initially to keep going and all that?

My godson will be there
McOdsen

Postby can- » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:23 pm

I have no idea where their capital came from. I know in 2014 that kindve place would have a terrible time trying to stay open because now there is a surfeit of retailers in lower manhattan selling the same kind of 'small batch' men's gear. I relate the place and the opening to supreme because of a similar focus on quality product, community and in-group coolness. likewise with supreme they sold all their own product direct with no middle men which helps.

they were obviously still struggling when the recession took them out in 08

can-

Postby Rosenrot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 am

Rosenrot

Postby smiles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:10 am

Arts & science. Started by Sonya park, a stylist living in japan. The clothes are supposed to be unisex (to a certain extent) most of the shirts are blousey and most of the pants are baggy. Natural fibers and all that jazz, lots of linen. Definitely Japanese farmer as Rosen says but also on the same spectrum with brands like yaeca and sassafras. Wouldn't be surprised if inventory carried them at one point or another. From what I've handled of them they feel a little too 'warm' to be strictly minimalist.

Blackmeans. Head designer had a stint at undercover. Obviously influenced by the Tokyo punk scene and he was probably hanging out with jun in the 90's. Allegedly a very small operation, the shop is downstairs and the atelier is upstairs where crusty punks are creating your personalised leather garments. Lot of the stuff that doesn't get picked up by overseas retailers is much more wild from what I can tell. Similar to facetasm/sasquatchfabrix they are interested in Native American and other indigenous cultures and design motifs. Lots of embroidery and fringes.

Toga and toga archives and toga pula and toga virgilis. Designed by yuriko furuta iirc. She studied abroad and came back to japan to be a stylist. Started toga (which is toga archives) in 97 and introduced the other lines later. Lot of prints and colourful stuff from what I've seen. My girlfriend has a pretty cool toga short coat thing. See if I can take her picture.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby whinefields » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:29 am

whinefields

Postby birdman caw » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Been interested in Jun Hashimoto lately. Does anyone about a line/sideproject/collab called AZ that he was part of?

birdman caw

Postby CleanThug » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Would like some general stuff on Undercover & Undercoverism

CleanThug

Postby deadkitty » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 pm

check out trashpile's post on mf

deadkitty

Postby CleanThug » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:23 pm

I knew about tnf purple label but what is White Label???

http://m.hypebeast.com/2014/3/the-north ... ean-market

like purple label except directly affiliated with tnf mainline?

CleanThug

Postby can- » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:19 pm

looks like the Korean only line?

Korean getting some cool shit recently. lavenham Korea comes to mind

can-

PreviousNext

Return to Tags