[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Engineered Garments

Engineered Garments

Clothes

Re: Engineered Garments

Postby blankinput » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Fair Warning: I do not do these write ups for anything other than ensuring the community here gets access to some fun information about a fun brand in a fair manner. It's a privilege for me to be able to try this stuff out so early, so I would ask that, as a courtesy to the brand/NNY/my friend/myself, you do not post these photos anywhere else. I obviously can't stop a bunch of lurkers from doing that, but if you're a regular member and I see you posting my photos on Style-forum or Red-it or wherever, I'll have to wipe everything and probably won't be coming back.

So, I just tried on a limited number of items today that arrived in the first batch at my friend's place. I have the green light to post these pics, which is generally unusual given the track record. I also thumbed through the entire F/W '14 line item sheet straight from NNY; lots of new surprises, old favorites, and plenty of fabrics to choose from. I probably spent a good half-hour figuring out what I want from it. In the end, I own more EG stuff than is reasonable or necessary so I am just sticking with an extremely nice, fairly priced coat and some other item that I can't talk about yet. Also, no fit pics because lighting was suboptimal and I don't want people forming opinions before trying the items on themselves.

Initial Thoughts:

The fabrics are extraordinary all around with a nice hand, the fit is more refined across the board, and the individual pricing is actually not as bad you'd might think. I will post the sizing recommendations for the photographed items.

No idea where the bullshit idea that EG sizing is so difficult started. Within each category (jackets, pants, etc.), it's TTS or +1. This is no different from any other brand who makes the same item models in a huge array of different fabrics. Each items that comes in, obvious exclusions applying, is washed at NNY first. The fabrics will react differently to the washing process and shrink accordingly, which will either demand you stay TTS or go up one, if you're like me.

Recommendations Based On What I've Tried On:

Western Shirt in Purple/Brown Brushed Twill Plaid - TTS or size up if you have a broad upper body.
Workshirt in Indigo Denim Shirting - TTS.
Workshirt in Grey/Navy Heavy Twill Plaid - TTS.
Bedford Jacket in Dk. Navy/Red Wool Floral Jacquard - TTS or size up if you have a broad upper body.
Ghurka Pant in Olive Brushed Twill - TTS, slim fit similar to Levi's 511. Bit tight as I'm a runner, not the biggest fan of the fit.
Bedford Jacket in Brown Homespun - TTS or size up if you have a broad upper body.

blankinput

Postby nick » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Thank you for your contributions, .
Is there a convenient way to see all of the items that are part of this season (i.e. line sheets), or is the best bet to just peruse through all the stockists?

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby blankinput » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Beyond what I've posted, I'm technically not allowed to share anything else. Line item sheets are absolutely out, so I'd recommend checking Japanese websites, stockists (U.S. or otherwise), and so on. Good luck!

blankinput

Postby odradek » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:04 pm

that last flannel looks fantastic. thanks for the goods.

odradek

Postby agvs » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:40 pm

Too much good stuff. Love the floral Bedford, wool CPO shirts and wool Ghurka pants. Maybe this will be the season I finally buy done thin full price because I'm in love with a lot if it. I believe some pricing was listed in a Styleforum thread and yeah it's quite high but not more than last fall IIRC.

agvs

Postby blankinput » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Gonna be honest @agvs, seeing this stuff in person made me think "Yeah, agvs would look good in more or less all of this."

Huge woodsy/outdoors jizz. It's your season, go and transcend.

blankinput

Postby nick » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:09 pm

If someone stocks the matching pants for the floral Bedford, I might have to go all in.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby nevergreen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:14 am

stumbled into jackstraw today and was talking to the girl there i guess i have good timing since they just got their first drop today. everything looked great but i walked in like 15 minutes before they closed so i didn't get to try on a lot. i've only tried on the batik baker from last season so i don't have a lot of experience with eg despite loving them, but the navy bedford in moleskin was gorgeous and the fabric felt awesome. stitching details were nice too.
the grey/navy work shirt is just as nice in person as it looks in pictures and actually one of my favorite pieces this season despite being relatively simple. will definitely pick it up retail as i don't think it'll last till the end of the season. was tempted to right then and there but resisted
tried on herringbone jeans which were nice and looked good but were soooo skinny like surprisingly skinny with only a 6.75 inch opening at a size 30. last thing i thought i'd see with eg

nevergreen

Postby nick » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 am

After receiving a few S/S '14 pieces in the mail, I'm super hyped on this collection, which absolutely makes no sense considering its still 90 degrees outside.

I was very set on the floral Bedford (And tracking down the matching Cinch Pants), but actually the brown elbow patches / buttons on the Bedford probably just don't work for me.

I think I'll go for the black moleskin getup in that case (, good to know the moleskin feels great), but I still don't know if there's a matching pant for it. I also love the idea of the Black Velveteen tux jacket/pants, but I'm afraid that might look too ridiculous for casual wear.

And the dark navy sweater knit shawl looks great. Even the lookbook spends like 3 pictures trying to convey the comfort of a massive shawl. Sort of pricy, but I'm afraid there's a quick sellout risk, so I may want to snap it up soon.

One last thought: I wonder if anyone will stock Hooded Interliners? Such an unconventional yet practical midlayer. I want one.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby agvs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 am

agvs

Postby stappard_ » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:02 am

Does anybody know if highland pants in corduroy are from this season? Its a dream shape/material combination for me.

stappard_

Postby trav » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 pm

Tons of awesome stuff. Really finding myself drawn to this guy:

trav

Postby blankinput » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm

blankinput

Postby frogosaurus » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:51 pm

if anyone's still interested in eg x vans,

http://www.complex.com/sneakers/2014/08 ... se-details

frogosaurus

Postby can- » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:30 pm

oh ma god

can-

Postby nick » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:48 pm

so I've been getting into EG obviously, but I still don't maybe 'get' the brand. some people online treat EG like a heritage workwear brand that doesn't exist outside the fatigues and workshirts, but I look through the past few years and see stuff thats 'playful' and much more along the lines of sportswear than workwear. am I in the wrong or do I have the right idea ?

edit: I also REALLY want that forest coat in the navy wool but the MSRP is probably comfortably in the four digits. Might get the parka in that material - the straps are so critical.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby can- » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:00 pm

EG makes clothes that are a facsimile of Americana which generally tends to feel even more American than the real thing. major influences are railroad workwear, outdoor/rec wear, ww2 militaire, and mid century tailoring.

that is really just the tip of the iceberg tho, I think more fundamental to the brand is how individual garments are literally engineered via tailoring and the brand's insistence to show the work via things like contrast stitching and reinforced pockets. pull apart an eg garm and you will be surprised by some of the most brilliant/wacky tailoring, a lot of which is totally unprecedented.

I think that's a large part of the appeal of the brand. the fit and fabric and designs are all very unpretentious and feel as comfortable as anything I'd pull out of my dad's closet, but the execution of eg pieces is, in its specific way, as modern as it comes.

the humor and charm also play a major role in my attachment to the brand. things like floral tux shorts-suits, tailored shirts with bicycle pockets on the back, zip up onesies, and sending aprons down the runway. the brand has a playful and winking nature.

can-

Postby Yoder » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:02 am

Thoughts on EG as what "punk" kids grow up and wear as adults? am I off base in that interpretation? Not attempting to shoehorn at all as its clearly much wider than just that.

Yoder

Postby bels » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:42 am

Punk kids grow up and wear Undercover.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby harmsalmon » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:12 pm

hope this is an alright place to ask, does anyone have some flintstone of EG/EG-esque pieces being worn in a more streetstyle context? or at least in fits w considerably less workwear influence than is the norm?

harmsalmon

Postby nick » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:48 pm

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby ramseames » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 pm

ramseames

Postby blankinput » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:48 pm

How is it baffling? People like what they like and spend money accordingly. I'm sure you like stuff that others wouldn't pay for. I don't know what you were trying to accomplish with your post... You should probably take it elsewhere (not that I'm helping things by responding).

blankinput

Postby odradek » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 pm

punk only comes in a discrete whole. the ethos is nothing with any part missing.

odradek

Postby blankinput » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 am

Made the pilgrimage to NNY today. Couple thoughts for you guys.

Would strongly recommend:
Spread collar shirting (if you know what you're doing when it comes to EG mixed with menswear stuff, otherwise pass)
Band collar shirt in houndstooth (blowaway item)
19th ct. bd (cut slightly larger than I remember it, hem is a little different)
Knit ties (great knots/dimples to be had, bad for taller dudes)

Ambivalent:
Shawl collar knit in orange mix (scratchy, you probably will have a hard time wearing it enough to justify price)
Fishtail parka (straps are cool if not slightly played out, cut like a tent, size down one even with large shoulders/chest)

E: Sale section looked pretty nice. Give them a call if you're looking for that one item that escaped you at retail.

blankinput

Postby Iliam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 pm

forget inside-out reversible. try reverse upside-down.

ImageImage

Last edited by Iliam on Thu May 24, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iliam

Postby djwildchina » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Hey guys, can anyone help me ID this EG coat?

I did some digging and came up with nothing...

The closest thing I found was this Field Parka that I'm pretty sure is from F/W '12

Its pretty similar but different buttons/pockets/lining/corduroy sleeves ... well a lot of details haha.

heres another one on ebay.

Below I've linked an album with more pics of my jacket. Any help is really appreciated guys. Thanks. :-)

djwildchina

Postby ramdomthought » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:04 pm

khaki ripstop fw07 mountain parka

mountain/field parkas (wool lining is always the giveaway for FW)

fw variations similiar to this jacket for a few years back in spoiler

fuck you if you're just using this information to sell shit.

some observations:

details go up and up and up as time progresses
throat latches go from a strap to riveted on to scuba style with one button to scuba style with a million buttons and snaps
pockets increase exponentially with time
bottom pockets are usually similar
top goes from field parka style to mtn parka style to mtn parka style x2
back pockets w/zip been around forever
zip style changes depending on theme
1btn to 2btn pockets to 1 to whatever

earlier published seasons are all very similiar in details and feel with the zip and how high it goes and the way the pockets are lined up and how the pockets close

ramdomthought

Postby djwildchina » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:59 pm

Dude thanks so much for the in depth response. I looked through the lookbooks and somehow missed that haha. I'm not really surprised though, you really know your stuff. The evolution of this coat over time is really great, I think '10-'12 are my faves. The newest one is also hot fia.

djwildchina

Postby nick » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:19 pm

work time boredom leads to EG FW rak shopping sprees. since it'll be a couple months till I can wear any of this, I'll share with c-t and see if any of you EG historians can give me seasons (and possibly names) for these pieces!

Wool Bedford (ramdom said this is a homespun one) , faux fur shawl collar vest , flight/bomber/holy shit pockets jacket

some quick fit pics below: let the redness of my face indicate the warmth these garments provide!

EDIT - on 's comment, a lot of people have questions about the shawl from this season. here's a shitty fit pic of it I took in the past. I definitely do dig it when there's not 2 other jackets under me (smiling)

nick
Eminent Eminem

PreviousNext

Return to Tags