[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Mums on Holiday

Mums on Holiday

Clothes

Mums on Holiday

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:28 pm

here we talk about warm weather, clothing, and the interaction between the two.

while fall and winter are great for layering and wearing cool coats and knits, i personally prefer warm weather for clothes. it forces you to think more and use less. you can't wear 4 tops anymore for intricate layering that synergize perfectly - you have to make the most of a few items. at the height of summer that might simply be a tee, shorts, and shoes. and if you think that's boring you're doing it wrong. it opens up other avenues to explore: whether it be interesting nuances in design, accessories, cool footwear, w/e, there's alot you can do if you find warm weather fashion lacking. also, there's comfort and freedom in s/s that f/w cannot offer. at times i dislike the fussiness of having to wear coats and jackets and scarves and sweaters and pants and socks and boots - at a certain point, all i want to do is throw on a shirt and a pair of pants, slip on some sneakers and be off. while that's possible in f/w, it's not as ubiquitous as it is in s/s.

this leads to another question: is less better? the heat strips away clothing, strips away barriers between others and yourself. it forces you to confront self-consciousness, exposes your body, and disables the ability of clothing to act as social armor. this, coupled with the fact that warm weather is far more conducive to social activities than cold weather forces you to confront self-image issues. personally, i've found that the majority of my growth with this issue has happened during spring and summer. whether you fret about it or stalwartly decide to not give a fuck, that issue is raised when the sun shines the brightest.

agree/disagree do these issues resonate with you or not etc, also talk about linen, rain jackets, seersucker, sandals, sun-tan lotion, favorite s/s footwear, bathing suits, sweatshorts, short shorts, whatever.

uniqlo's linen offerings this season look interesting, and i'm in the market for a good rain jacket. anyone have any suggestions? i also personally can't wait to wear sandals every day.

also it is recommended but certainly not required you link or mention what your favorite summer song is in your post

Last edited by hmwut on Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hmwut

Re: Colour of Spring(/Summer)

Postby maj » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:48 pm

big fan of pop overs atm for rain jackets, something from millets or the like may quench your thirst huhwot, nice bit of 90's revivalism about it if you find a good colour block, may not be what you're after but last year your fits would have suited a subtle one.

Britain been having a tease of summer lately and it has got me all in the mood for #sunsoutgunsout. last year i wore my olive shorts and assortment of plain coloured t shirts almost religiously with the odd set of olive chinos thrown in and a blue ocbd, that or a white tee and jeans if i was going out in the evening and this year i will repeat it. always like to go a bit banter in the summer and shift the colours up into pinks, blues, olives and a lot of white and grey while putting lana del ray and chase n status on the spotify ready to go out in the evening or to a beer garden. clothing tends to be light and easy going where i can wear a t shirt and shorts with some sneaks sockless and not care about much else which feels a bit freeing after winter. this links to me being a big fan of wearing as few layers as i can unless the situation calls for it so i'm not hung up about only being able to wear a t and a light jacket (if that) most days and rather embrace it.

maj

Postby hmwut » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:10 pm

i never really wore tank-tops in the past for w/e reason but fully embracing them this summer, american apparel has alot of nice options in this area, especially their oversized tanks. american apparel in general has some really strong candidates for s/s basics with their viscose and regular tees with or without slutty necklines

requesting tank top inspo

personally a big fan of popovers aesthetically but i've always had a conflict with them as they seem antithetical to what i consider core concepts of s/s: ease of access and comfort. having to pull them on and off seems like it could be frustrating, as well as not having the ability to unzip. could get a little clammy, but a good area to explore nonetheless

s/s allows for far more room be irreverent and wacky, plan on throwing colors like purple and orange into the palette of military greens, black, beige, white, light blue, and grey. also, my budget for this season is practically non existent so i think it's a great time to have some fun with DIY. already chopped a bunch of shirts to have mandarin collars, plan on adding a bunch of patches to some stuff, chopping off sleeves to make weird shirt-vest things or short-sleeves with raw edges. also plan on further expanding the rips on the pair of levis i worked on last summer as well as cropping them and leaving a raw edge. raw edges for all

if i DID have money to spend i'd be all over lad musician's pants/shorts offering this season:

hmwut

Postby Yoder » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:11 pm

My summer goal is to do more dressing to live and less living to dress. Kind of simplistic, but its a start.

Been having a lot of cabin fever since my hobby keeps me busy most weekends during F/W and school/work the other 5 days a week. Things have slowed down now though and I can finally get into finals prep or some shit like that.

Excited to do hoodrat shit or whatever the kids are doing these days, and most of my clothing choices are going to reflect that I hope, putting the button downs away and just wearing plimsoles and t shirts every day sounds like a blast.

As far as colours, planning on sticking with greys and navies and whites and blacks, definitely looking to get a pair of light wash jeans (apc right now is the front runner), birkenstock arizonas in taupe sude, and maybe some nicer tees. Most of the clothes fund is going to concert tickets though, I hope.

Summer song has got to be by my , S/S just brings out the best in the scene IMO.

Yoder

Postby anshin » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:14 pm

where do u guys get your shorts at?

ne travaillez jamais!
anshin

Postby deadkitty » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 am

our legacy makes the best shorts, hands down

deadkitty

Postby BobbyZamora » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:14 am

i live in a desert nearby one of the warmest lakes in Canada, and the area I live is a popular vacation spot for many people so I've always greatly enjoyed summers. I used to spend weeks hanging out at a nearby campground/resort that my dad was assistant manager at, great times. I'm sure by the end of august I'll be begging for beanies, boots and flannels, but right now I'm tired of the cold and layering and my wardrobe has gotten stale anyways.

hopefully I'll be able to go to Vancouver sometime this spring to pick up some nice pieces. I'm hoping for cropped trousers, black sweatshorts and wrinkly linen shirts. Probably some DIY stuff as well.

for shoes, I'll be picking up a pair of Birkenstocks Arizonas (not sure whether to get brown or black yet) and maybe some sneakers (I'm thinking black old skools and maybe white Stan Smiths or Rod Lavers)

I've also been looking at Clarks Wallabee Runs lately. I was interested in but they're basically impossible to find in nice colorways. Some people think the Wallabee Runs are sacrilegious ("they defeat the point of Wallabees!! they're watered down for mass appeal!!") but I personally like them, they look like a nice lightweight summer shoe. what do you guys think?

B)
BobbyZamora

Postby soundclip989 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 am

I've held the belief that layering options aren't thrown out during s/s. They just change, you have to think outside of the box. Last summer will probably be the same as this summer for me, accept for new pieces. I started building a real wardrobe last summer, so I'm glad to be able to go back to it.
Default for me would be double layered cupra board shorts, long tanks in sheer and light cottons with a ss button up or bd with rolled sleeves. (Worn open ofc) And either light sneakers or sandals.
Also happy to be able to bust out the linen again.
I'd like to get a couple new pairs of shorts, and I'm thinking more and more about eytys as a shoe option. (Which I rly need.)
Also considering these advantage cycle Jacquard knit shorts, but I need to figure out how to get them to me from japan..

soundclip989

Postby nick » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:19 am

during cold weather, everyone has their giant parka or North Face on, and everyone just becomes these black or dark olive blobs - myself included.

you'd think that warm weather would ruin individuality with the lack of layers accessible, but it does quite the opposite. absolutely agree with that it is during warmer weather where we frame our faces and bodies even greater with our clothing. the down coat wearing blobs become human again.

i'm still looking for that perfect natural or brown, CXL or suede, Vibram Christy or Ripple-soled oxford with interesting details. Yuketen has offered countless iterations on this concept, but I never had money at the time. If someone comes by something neat, pass it on to me.

nick
Eminent Eminem

Postby Vaeltaja » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm

I still plan on wearing mostly monochrome. My wardrobe is mostly t-shirt based anyhow. I just need shorts.

Wanna redneck? I'll do him an egg. NO SYMPY!
<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
Vaeltaja

Postby bels » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:10 pm

I don't know if I'm going to stay monochrome or ship in my coloured wardrobe. I probably should just for the sake of variety.

My summer cop list is:

Cropped trous in navy or black.
Linen shirts in white or beige (any leads on these other than Uniqlo would be appreciated)
Barena style blazer or oversized linen cotton blend Cardigan in grey or tourquise
A shacket with hidden placket
Sand suede jinks
Some slip on hopefully in blue

Giant oversized white parka

bels
Yung Winona

Postby bhajz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm

Really want to start wearing high tops with shorts this summer. Also want some baggier shorts that aren't black or drop crotch, hopefully our legacy has some good ones (someone rec me something). Shorts have always been super hard for me to find, and the ones I do find that I like are out of my price range, so i think it'll mostly be cropped pants this summer.

bhajz

Postby Stingray Sam » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm not sure if this would be more appropriate for the flintstone thread, but here's my flintstone this summer. I'd like to try to integrate a lot of linen fabrics. what i really want is a good pair of sandals, Jil came out with ones last summer that i really wanted. I'd also like to try to play around with mesh fabrics. One of my goals is to try to make my wardrobe rather than purchasing pieces for it. I really like the idea of sandals cropped trousers and layered tops. I'm wary to implement a lot of white because stains show up so much easier, but there's something about billowy white clothes that is so appealing.

To me black skinhead isn't necessarily a quintessential summer song. Rather it is a song that has so many associated memories with it from last summer. When ever i hear the opening beat/synth i can almost smell my car after it has been sitting in the sun all day. I can almost feel the hot air blowing in my hair as drive with the window open. The smells, the feelings, the memories are all associated with it. I drove up to my friends cabin on the 4th listening to yeezus over and over again, and i drove back hungover and feeling sick listening to yeezus. I drove with my friends out camping with yeezus playing. Almost every time i was in the car something by kanye was playing. And the car plays such an integral role in the freedom of teens around my area, there is no public transport that is effective and people are usually pretty spread out. Black Skinhead is by no means my favorite song, but it is the one that sticks out the most in my mind and has the strongest associations. I sometimes refuse to listen to it because i don't want to ruin those associations i have

Stingray Sam

Postby rublev » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Last edited by rublev on Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
rublev
Political Editor

Postby RomanEmpire » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:18 pm

As we get closer to S/S I realize how much my taste has changed and is still changing. I first started caring about fashion over the summer of last year, and I couldn't wait for F/W so that I could wear cool coats and boots and all that stuff. But now it's getting really stale and I can't wait for spring. Originally I didn't like very slouchy fits, but now I really want to wear slouchier stuff, at least looser tees. I'm gonna look for just some plain white slouchy tees, as well as some scoop necks. For shorts I'm going to look for floral shorts and black shorts. Baggy black shorts kind of like pod shorts would be kinda cool, but not really something that would fit in my wardrobe, nor do I have the money for them. Linen shirts would be nice, but the sleeves on Uniqlo ones are too long, so unless I get some that are short sleeved I'm going to have to get all of them shortened, which would be a pain. Cropped black chinos/cargo pants are also on my want list. I'm also on the lookout for white sneakers, probably getting either Stan Smiths or Rod Lavers. Also considering maybe getting if they aren't too expensive and I can get a job this summer, namely the gray or charcoal ones.

Basically one of my big inspirations is childish gambino, which seems kind of tacky but I really enjoy the clothes his being wearing as of late, mainly this:

I'm really excited to see what outfits I can make this season and wear a lot of shorts, which is weird because I used to hate wearing shorts, as well as try wearing slouchier fits, which I also used to hate.

RomanEmpire

Postby smiles » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

Summer in Hong Kong is going to be rough. It's so humid and miserable and then inside the AC is turned up super high. No matter what happens I'm going to end up sweaty so it doesn't really matter if you wear shorts or not. Last summer I wore mostly jeans and tee shirts, and this summer I'll probably still wear mostly jeans and t-shirts (but they'll be STORY jeans!) Uniqlo dryfit and the new mesh ones are definitely going to be a godsend. That being said lately I've been trying to explore some more lightweight fabrics like rayon and nylon and such. Not the best for the humidity but they are so lightweight that it doesn't really matter. Also gonna try out some tank tops, but my physique is a bit lacking. I know ben said that germ said that the summer is bad for fashion but hopefully with a little ingenuity I'll do something interesting.

95% of summer dressing (aesthetics wise) is in the silhouette. this would be vs. the layering aesthetic of winter. slouchy/big shapes are certainly going to be the way to go.

I made some summer acquisitions this week, and now that it's hit 25C I can bust some of it out. I'm going to pick up those camper x willhelm sandals soon as well.

tee from my friend. estimated temperature viability: 24C-30C

tank top. estimated temperature viability: (under layers) 22C-30C (on its own) 26C-35C

polyamide trousers. estimated temperature viability: 24C-30C. Will field test tomorrow w/r/t humidity - breathability interaction

polyester 'inside out shorts'. estimated temperature viability: 25C-35C. Wide Leg opening conducive to air flow.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby can- » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

can't wait for rolled up sleeves everyday!! sockless sneakers!!

I picked up this EG waxed poncho, hopefully we get enough rain to make the most out of it.

(sorry lighting is awful)

can-

Postby kyung » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:28 pm

time to bust out the nailclippers/pumice stones and groom my ogre feet because goddamn i want some cool sandals

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby CleanThug » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:56 pm

looks like tnf purpel label

CleanThug

Postby jrisk » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:51 am

I have these clarks in standby. gonna wear them as soon as it hits above 55F.

noticed that xibalba has a couple more colors available now. still happy with olive though.

jrisk

Postby RycePooding » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 pm

What're you guys doing about shirting? I sweat a lot, so last summer it was white tee or white uniqlo linen 7 days a week. when its a bit cooler i like to wear tees+humongous buttondown unbuttoned over it.

Loose linen pants or shorts are the only things I can wear on my legs without sweating like crazy in my knees.

Really love my birkenstock arizonas, see no reason to get more expensive sandals as they fit my needs for everything. Chacos and tevas are so functional but I just can't seem to wear them well in any way. common projects makes some great summer sneakers, but shorts + AF1s is the look, lets be honest. My large torso means i have to wear chunky footwear to wear shorts well.

Clubmasters seem essentially summery to me, need to pick up a real pair as my knockoffs have all broken long ago. Sometimes will wear one of my dads old snapbacks if I'm feeling feisty.

Really like pastel colors, especially if its pastel blue+white+pastel green as your outfits only colors. Really pleasing.

RycePooding

Postby brlmski » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:15 pm

brlmski

Postby ptozzi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Summer socks? Socks are a must for me as my feet get extra sweaty. Uniqlo crew socks might be the way to go as far as color options go.

ptozzi

Postby zayg » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:54 pm

zayg

Postby swatfishy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:22 am

Want a poncho like this or ben's for s/s. this one is by Sevan, msrp 545 :(

swatfishy

Postby oucho » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:21 am

seeing as it's summer I will probably wear my coat less and maybe wear some shorts

oucho

Postby bobo77 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:33 pm

I need to pick up some shorts soon. Luckily going to Florida next week means I have an excuse to cop some s/s gear this weekend. Looking to check out the linen shirts at Uniqlo, maybe a couple polos. What do people like for shorts sub-50?

bobo77

Postby rublev » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 pm

I really need to find a crinkly spring jacket... like a crinkly cotton or something... something that is quite stiff, maybe a parka but i'm not sure.

I know people have said YMC isn't that up to much quality wise but i quite like this jacket (but i won't buy it... probably). Metal studs and elasticated sleeves. In fact i quite like a lot of stuff from this season. Looks like they've maybe had a change in the design department as things seem to feel more coherent overall... what looks like lots of nice colours / shades. Very simple.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby maj » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 pm

:sweg:

maj

Postby hmwut » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:09 am

got these white linen trews from h&m yesterday

also grabbed a white linen shirt too, wore both and felt like a hare krishna. so perfect in weight and texture, linen quickly becoming one of my favorite fabrics. the way it crinkles and hangs off a body is second to none. i can't help but feel i'm standing in shallow waters though, dealing with h&m quality linen. anyone have experience with "good" quality linen, if it's worthwhile to invest in or not, and what brands offer it

hmwut

Next

Return to Tags