[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - about a girl

about a girl

Clothes

Re: about a girl

Postby Rosenrot » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:47 pm

I too have been in love with dark lipsticks lately. My favourite colour right now is BUT the quality is shoddy because it's barely pigmented. I'm still feverishly searching for a replacement. Been told that Tom Ford is going to produce eggplant shades for fall so if it's indeed true I will report back with the good news.

In the meantime I've switched to , which isn't exactly purple but still equally vampy, AND has some decent lasting power.

Rosenrot

Postby pips » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:00 am

I tend to wear lipstick when I'm wearing something that's a little on the plain side, like a simple tshirt and jeans outfit. You know how women's mags always say lipstick dresses up an outfit? I guess I agree with that. I love seeing purple lipstick on other people but not on me (I dont want to look more intimidating as it is) so I stick to deep reds like Nars Terre de Feu or Wet n Wild Cherry Bomb (a nice budget option).

I feel like my face looks incomplete without filling in my brows. I'm obsessed with brows! Mine are decently shaped but I like them thick and brushed up so I set them with a little brow gel after filling in. If I can do just one thing to my face that would be it.

I recently started putting concealer on my dark circles and holy shit the difference it made—I look much cheerful and less tired.

I haven't paid much attention to blush and to what it can do because hey, it's just blush, but lately I'm enjoying how it brightens up the face especially since I dont mess with eye makeup... I just curl the lashes and that's it.

pips

Postby donut_milk » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:29 pm

I tend to keep most of my face simple except my lips where I put the most color. This probably sounds cheesy but I am into the / "simple" look but I try to emphasize my lips a bit more. I've tried doing a bold eye but it just doesn't feel right or I don't know how to blend; I end up just curling my lashes. And most foundations/bb creams irritate my skin so I barely wear it and substitute it with .

The products I use on a daily basis: sunscreen, , stick on eyes as a base and then maybe a neutral shadow on top. Lips...I kinda have a lot of different colors I cycle through: Clinique chubby stick in roomiest rose, Buxom in Exhibitionist, Estee Lauder in Bois de Rose, Mac Extended Play, YSL Rouge Volupte, or Etude House enamel gloss in wonder glossy red. :<

donut_milk

Postby forestfeet » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:23 am

I used to wear more makeup, I think. Now it's just moisturize like crazy, korean BB cream, powder, peachy-pink blush, and the palest shade of the Naked Basics palette. Mascara if I'm feeling fancy. I also take way better care of my brows. I have pretty thick/unruly brows, so I get them lightly waxed about once a month and then just comb them into place everyday. For lips I'll usually do either a Nyx matte lip cream in a super neutral/blend in shade, or something really dark with no eye makeup.

Can we talk about how bodymods affect makeup/style? One of the reasons I wear more natural/minimal makeup is because I have a delicate silver septum ring as well as gauges and I don't want to look too ...edgy? If I put on eyeliner I feel a little high school punk.

forestfeet

Postby diniro » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:30 pm

http://www.zednelson.com/?TheFamily:thumbnails

photography photographs family once a year on the same day. the mom has cool style, in the early 90s at least.

diniro

Postby lostie » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:52 pm

susie lau being adorable :mrgreen:

lostie

Re: about a girl x NEPENTHES JP

Postby exprof » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:40 pm

exprof

Postby exprof » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm

really spoke to me, I want a shift dress to wear over a shirt now. (Also tricker's brogues but I've mentioned this at lengths)

exprof

Postby charybdis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Thoughts about brandwhoreing?

I feel like I tend to look down on people who buy shoes and bags to show off the label (a la my asian relatives and basically all of purse forum) but at the same time I don't think I'm immune to buying into something just because of the brand either. Is there a difference between wanting a Bao Bao and an LV tote? (Minus the whole thing.)

I think sometimes on fashion forums I get worried about posting a waywt if everything isn't from an ~acceptable brand name~ and I wonder if that's not the same shit.

Also, this image from A. F. Vandervorst SS 1999 combines two of my favorite things. White clothing and sleep:

my mother is a kenzo fish sweater
charybdis

Postby WikiZuHeltzer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:11 pm

I know I'm pretty brandwhory when it comes to some things, but I don't think that one should limit themselves because of worries over the judgement of others. At the end of the day, if you like something enough, in my opinion it becomes irrelevant (beyond maybe quality concerns) if it brandwhory or not.

Waywt does have an element of show offyness to it in some degree, but if everything fits together it would be disapointing if people reacted badly due to everything not fitting into their fashion boxes. When it comes down to it, beyond context and functionality you dress for yourself first.

WikiZuHeltzer

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Statement LVMH bag (or equivalent) is just so oversaturated nowadays.

Jean touitou said this which I mostly agree with: "I can’t stand anymore status bags, even a wonderfull Celine bag. Social signifiers are just impossible. Too sad for Celine’s bag designer. They are the new Hermes for real. You won’t see any elegant woman with a status bag anymore. Big big fashion NO NO."

ramseames

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 pm

On brandwhoring... I think a lot of people who get into clothing do so because they want to differentiate themselves and show superior taste. And if superior taste exists then inferior taste must also exist.

(I wish I'd made more of an effort to start reading Bourdieu at this point. It was just so long....)

, you mentioned your asian relatives and you might enjoy this book, it was pretty influential on me about this very topic. http://www.amazon.com/The-Cult-Luxury-B ... 1904838057

If anything, the book highlights that brandwhoring is only possible in a nation where taste has matured enough to be a respected status symbol. When nations have to reinvent themselves after a mass unshackling from subjugation, logo-branded items become the marker of status. Taste hasn't entered the equation yet. As time progresses, the statement bag becomes a way to keep up with the Joneses more than a status symbol since everyone has the bag and it signifies belonging (this is what you're describing you're sick of with your relatives, I think), and finally it becomes distasteful when oversaturated, and we end up with the understated elegance that characterizes people with supposed taste. This being the main way to distinguish between themselves and those "awful, gauche, nouveau riches..."

From my own (male) perspective, I'm brandwhory in a way that adds dimension to the clothing. For better or for worse, I buy into some brand's stories, and give them the benefit of the doubt. If the item is sort of nondescript then I may search for a reason why it's actually cool, because it's by X brand and they must have put more thought into it than Y mall brand who's just trying to make a buck and whose customers are sooooo generic and lame, unlike me, of course... :roll:

Brandwhoring, though, is also a cultural thing. If someone has clothes by certain brands, they demonstrate that they're in the know and are able to communicate on a deeper cultural level. However I'd argue that talent with styling things in really cool ways (which I don't have enough of, and welcome any resources for that such as ) is also a way to communicate on a deeper cultural level, without any of the same bad connotations to brandwhoriness. That was always the appeal of Sartorialist for me: often not knowing what brand the clothes were, and appreciating them just on a visual level.

yoyobeat

Postby bels » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:03 am

I was browsing sufu waywt the other day and it felt like there was a lot more fits with no brands listed than the last time I went on there. Not sure if this is just my imagination though?

bels
Yung Winona

Postby pips » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:51 am

I think once you get to a certain point in enjoying and consuming fashion brandwhoring is inevitable to some extent. Branding is a crucial part of fashion; it's a very strong driving force in our association and opinions on a label and even on the garments themselves. Branding isn't just the logo or tag on a shirt, it's our perception of their image and reputation, and everyone has a different idea of a label's brand. We want to buy into that, we want a piece of that world. We can argue all day about quality, fit, sustainability etc etc but branding also influences why we buy the things we do, even if it's just a small part. I would say it's not even just a status symbol thing. Some of it stems from a need to belong to a group by buying stuff from that group's "accepted" brands.

For the LV/Gucci monogram bag set, those brands probably represent class, a higher sense of taste and affluence and by toting around a monogram Speedy bag they hope to imbibe those qualities even though some people might think the opposite. That's not a terrible thing to want, in the same way that in buying a current Helmut Lang jacket one aspires to communicate a sense of understated, downtown coolness. Brandwhoring is seen as bad because it implies that one brand is better than another for mostly classist reasons but in my opinion, there is little difference between the woman buying LV bags en masse and a girl slavishly copying Phoebe Philo's every move—they are are both brandwhores, just with different tastes. Snobbery and brandwhoring go hand in hand; it doesnt mean that just because person A buys artisanal designer crap as opposed to person B who's really into Michael Kors the former is more fashionable. I'd say the guy who blindly follows and buys Rick without knowing how to put together a decent outfit is a bigger brandwhore than a person who buys an LV bag as an "in" to a social crowd she aspires to be part of.

pips

Postby hooplah » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:27 pm

i've always just seen brandwhoring as showboating. people who need to brandwhore with large logos or easily recognized bags feel the need to broadcast their self-described superior taste/interest in fashion/wealth, when in reality those status bags are pretty much bottom of the barrel, entry-level money makers for those houses. similar to how some people who love a certain band or a certain video game or whatever wear graphic tees that broadcast that interest. i think the more prolonged and in-depth your interest in fashion becomes, the more you learn to appreciate the aesthetic of something aside from its brand. you don't need to flex your knowledge anymore, at least not in away that is recognizable to your average person on the street. within fashion-centric communities, raf x adidas or geobaskets are recognizable, but most people won't see them as an immediate symbol of the wearer's interest in fashion. they may even find them ugly. the reason people may buy more and more into a designer as they get more heavily into fashion isn't necessarily brand worship; i think it's often driven by the inability to find that aesthetic offered at any other price point or by any other house/designer.

hooplah

Postby bels » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:38 pm

bels
Yung Winona

Postby charybdis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:23 pm

charybdis

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:23 pm

Definitely definitely definitely definitely not trying to poke the nebulous bear that is weight as a social issue but have some questions for those better able to understand the situation:

Is it inherently wrong for brands to cultivate an image that includes the "cool" and thus by necessity excludes the "not cool", in this case plus sized?

Does the above only become an issue when the majority of the market excludes the "not cool"?

Is it an issue inherent in fashion or is fashion as an extension of society simply reflecting the societal idea that plus sized = "not cool"?

Corollary to the above: does fashion have the responsibility to attempt to push through these societal ideas? And if so, is this something only possible by smaller designers and more artistically based labels, or can/will capital-F-Fashion i.e. The Industry ever tackle it?

UnwashedMolasses

Postby hooplah » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:45 pm

hmmm

i think to answer your first question, the plane within which "wrong" is being used needs to be clarified. is it wrong from a branding perspective? not really. you market to your demographic. plus sized people aren't necessarily the main demographic for these brands. they could be, but most designers seem wholly uninterested in expanding into that market. from a social/moral standard? i don't think it's wrong to not explicitly market to plus sized clientele if they represent a small minority of your demo, but i do think it's reprehensible to be ashamed of plus sized customers or your own plus sized line (pretty ridiculous of michael kors in the above quote charybdis posted--especially considering his customers aren't necessarily into super "high" fashion and represent more of your average woman to begin with. he's not really a true luxury brand... and i feel like many of his customers would be impressed, rather than embarrassed or turned off, by learning that michael kors has a plus size line).

karl lagerfeld immediately comes to mind. the dude is a fucking dickhole. for someone who used to be heavy, he sure doesn't have any sympathy for people outside his freja beha/baptiste giabiconi ideal body types. he has continued to make despicable remarks throughout the years, from trying to bar h&m from producing larger sized garments of his collabo to asserting that no one wants to see curvy women on the runway. fucker.

as far as whether fashion is reflecting society or the issue is inherent in fashion... it's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" question, but just speaking from my personal opinion i would say that fashion is not just a reflection of the "uncool" perception of larger people in society, but actively propagates that prejudice. it may not have created it, but it sure as hell promotes it.

and whether fashion has an obligation to shift the trend--i'd say no, with a caveat. like using black models on the runway--my opinion is that you don't have an obligation to (after all, it is your "art"), but you sure as hell come off like a fucking asshole if you actively resist it. people say clothes look better on skinny people, models are meant to be clothes hangers, larger sizes interfere with the design--no shit, because we're conditioned to appreciate clothing on a very specific body type. if for some reason it were that curvier bodies were preferred and lanky ones were looked down upon, we'd be having the exact inverse of this situation right now ("oh my god, she's so shapeless; it really detracts from the clothes").

i also wonder what it is like for heavier set people in the industry like andré leon talley and the mulleavy sisters to be surrounded by people who seemingly abhor customers their size. i'm imagining some sort of parallel to the homophobe saying to a friend, "well i know you're gay, but you're the exception to the rule."

this is all kind of stream of consciousness. hope i didn't say anything to offend and that my thoughts are actually coherent.

edit: i said "sure as hell" twice in the span of three sentences. who am i

hooplah

Postby charybdis » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't think they are obligated to do it, although I think it was somewhat interesting looking at my own reaction to this compared to how I felt about Abercrombie's then CEO coming out and basically explicitly saying this.

The article touches upon it, but I think part of it is economic. I think a lot of the demand for plus size designer items is often more ideological than anything else. A lot of labels only started expanding into extremely small/petite sizes because of Chinese/Asian demand. Although you could say it's that chicken vs egg argument where maybe plus size girls don't buy designer because there isn't a place to do so.

(Although, the classification of fat as "uncool" is kinda a relatively recent phenomenon as is ready to wear clothing.)

This whole thing makes me think of Rick Owen's ss14 Vicious though, but I don't think you can call what he did tackling "plus size" though.

charybdis

Postby yoyobeat » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm a guy; sometimes I'm interested/amused in the [overgeneralized] differences between what women think look good on men and other men think look good so maybe that's another unrelated topic for discussion if it doesn't kick any wasps' nests over. :wink:

Over time I've saved pics of girls/women I thought looked cool from some different sources, hope you will find something useful in this album.

album: http://imgur.com/a/azooB

yoyobeat

Postby schiaparelli » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:55 pm

schiaparelli

Postby kyung » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:21 pm

has incredible style =)

and some other random assorted things i've been loving

cosmic wonder

employee(?) at

model: sumire from

aaaaand balmung

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby yoyobeat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 pm

I put this together today, what do y'all think? There's about 400 different womenswear photos, all from the Sartorialist. It's a game of choosing which outfit you like more between the two that randomly show up (click on the photo you like more).

Most of the photos have 0 or low vote counts now but if a bunch of people cycled through, they'll show actual win/loss values.

http://www.votecloth.com/sartorialist/

yoyobeat

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Pleats from Lemaire's now-open webshop. Also turns out it's just Lemaire now.

I would absolutely wear this if they sized large enough - gutted that the men's side doesn't have this sage color, it's gorgeous.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby vgtbls » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Debated whether to put this in style flintstone or not...

I watched Pretty Woman last night and couldn't stop thinking about this bomb short suit

vgtbls

Postby kyung » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:37 pm

sacai x nike

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby sparkyoriental » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Are we still talking about makeup here? I'm obsessed, and I have been for years now. I browse r/makeupaddiction everyday, watch countless youtube videos, and spend far too much of my disposable income on new products. A lot of days I'll walk around with natural makeup, get home, and then pile on the slap for more "fun" looks. My everyday products are:

-L'Oreal True Match Lumi foundation (I use shade W3, it's good for yellowy-neutral Asians with light-medium skin)
-Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim Light to set the foundation
-Anastasia Dip Brow in Medium Brown
-NYX Butter Lipgloss in Tiramisu (a blue based light pink, just warm enough for my warm complexion)
-NARS blush in Dolce Vita or Physician's Formula Happy Booster blush

I'm Chinese and I have a crease, but I can't use darker eyeshadows to define like people with more defined sockets. I've found the best way to add dimension to an eye look is to add the darker shades in a gradient starting at the lashline. Instead of light-medium-dark, I do dark-medium-light shades.

Other products I like:
- Sephora Lip Cream in 01 Always Red (best blue based liquid lipstick in a classic red color)
- MAC Lady Danger (another matte red, this one is orange based)
- Urban Decay Naked Palette (I like the shades Naked, Buck, and Virgin)
- Clinique Cheek Pop in Peach Pop
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Powder foundation
- Wet n Wild Bare it All lipstick (dupe for MAC Velvet Teddy)

I'm slightly embarrassed by my makeup hobby. I suppose it's because it's incited the natural vanity within me, and I think I care more about my appearance because of it.

sparkyoriental

Postby yoyobeat » Sat May 09, 2015 11:43 pm

this is gonna go unappreciated in rak city plus this thread deserves a bump. Someone cop these green plaid wool junya jeans http://www.ebay.com/itm/Junya-Watanabe- ... 4195a31c81

yoyobeat

Postby LelandJ » Tue May 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Harnden's really nice, would look much better with top three buttons done though:

LelandJ

PreviousNext

Return to Tags