[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Designers & Their References

Designers & Their References

Clothes

Designers & Their References

Postby blankinput » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:22 am

Post any references, cultural or otherwise, that you see designers make in their clothes, accessories, etc. What's obvious to you might not be obvious to someone else, so don't let that stop you. Glaringly blatant or not, it's all cool to read. I don't think this has been done before, but maybe I'm wrong.

Daiki Suzuki did a lot of vintage buying in MA in the 1980s and was around Cambridge quite often. A lot of the EG item names are based on Boston streets, with some variations in spelling. Some examples are the Landsdown Jacket and the Chauncey Shirt.

RRL has an Alden Indy-esque boot they periodically release. It's called the Belloq Boot. As some of you probably know, the Indy Boot name comes from Harrison Ford's Indiana Jones character. RRL's Belloq boot is a tongue-in-cheek reference to Dr. Belloq from the Indiana Jones universe.

blankinput

Re: Designers & Their References

Postby yourdad » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:29 am

yourdad

Postby parastexis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:17 pm

raf simons, rothko

mmm, van gogh

mmm, the usual suspects

ysl, mondrian

bless, indecent proposal

carven, bosch

valentino, cranach

not sure if she's the reference, but I've always though the lightning bolt on uc jeans were a reference to patti smith's tattoo, especially considering her influence and relationship with the brand

parastexis

Postby can- » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:11 pm

jun takahashi only eats food out of cans or something

can-

Postby ramseames » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:34 pm

ramseames

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:27 pm

Our Legacy SS15

DeafIdiotGod

Postby sweeeeeeeeeeet emootion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:56 pm

edgar evans the polar explorer, nigel cabourn

thommy b, amish community

also shit like this also reminds me of a lot of UCism and maybe some black means pieces

sweeeeeeeeeeet emootion

Postby sweeeeeeeeeeet emootion » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 pm

also, Manastash are on some vintage Patagonia shit. does anyone know if their designs are actually performance based or just for style?

(manastash)

(patagonia)

sweeeeeeeeeeet emootion

Postby Iliam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:00 am

jenny holzer owns pseudo poignant capitalised bold text

(2000)

Raf SS 2002

josh reim ss14

Andrea Jiapei Li

Walter Van Beirendonck A/W15 (~disputable inclusion~)

i know i've seen similar text elsewhere......

Iliam

Postby hharrissonn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:47 pm

supreme frances frames, named after kurt's daughter

ig: hharrissonn
tumblr: dyetransfer.tumblr.com
hharrissonn
Look Arena Champion

Postby hharrissonn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:12 pm

sorry to spam this thread, but i just saw this in a video i'm watching for an anthropology class

top: organizers at a 1992 demonstration in nyc in response to plans to build a federal building on an african american ground
bottom: supreme xodus tee fw12

also here's an album of stuff they've done over the years taken from strictlysupreme

again sorry for sup spam

Last edited by hharrissonn on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
hharrissonn
Look Arena Champion

Postby Iliam » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Man Ray, L’Enigme d’Isidore Ducasse, 1920

Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Wrapped Venus (Project for Villa Borghese, Rome), 1974

Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Wrapped Trees (Fondation Beyeler and
Berower Park, Riehen, Switzerland)
, 1997-98

Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Wrapped Monument to Vittorio Emanuele (Piazza Duomo, Milano), 1970

Junya Watanabe Fall 2008

Iliam

Postby germinal » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:21 am

germinal
Garminlad

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:14 am

jim lambie, really worried this was already posted and I missed it somehow :P

BIGBEE

Postby 3hunna » Tue May 19, 2015 11:27 am

Margiela and Malevich
Kazimir Malevich, Female Torso, 1933 and Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal S/S 2014

Kazimir Malevich, Two Figures and Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal A/W 2013

Kazimir Malevich, Two Male Figures, 1932 and Maison Martin Margiela Artisanal A/W 2012

Kazimir Malevich, Sketch of a costume for the opera "Victory Over The Sun" by Matyushin, 1913 and Maison Martin Margiela A/W 2009

Kazimir Malevich, Sketch of a costume for the opera "Victory Over The Sun" by Matyushin, 1913 and Maison Martin Margiela A/W 2012

Kazimir Malevich, Sketch of a costume for the opera "Victory Over The Sun" by Matyushin, 1913 and Maison Martin Margiela S/S 2011

Kazimir Malevich, Sketch of a costume for the opera "Victory Over The Sun" by Matyushin, 1913 and Maison Martin Margiela S/S 2009

3hunna

Postby areo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:10 pm

I think that it might be going a bit far to say that those Craig Green knits could only ever have been influenced by boro, or even that they're exactly the same thing. Personally, when I think of boro, I think of a much larger amount of much smaller pieces of fabric. To my mind, the jumpers above look much more like Comme des Garcons, particularly some of the things from ss and aw 83 (more images in spoiler):

More recently, they also remind me of Tao Kurihara's line for CDG:

Obviously, those things don't look entirely the same as the knits that we're talking about, but I just wanted to make the point that there might be something else going on other than boro. Also, I'm sure that Rei Kawakubo and Tao Kurihara were/are in some way influenced by boro, but it seems to me that the influence of boro on Craig Green is definitely mediated by a lot of other work, i.e. (maybe!) some of the things that I've put in this post.

areo

Postby areo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:25 pm

I see where you're coming from, but I doubt that a designer who is inspired by workwear, eastern shapes, kimonos, religious dress and simple fabrics is going to be uninterested in 'classic' Japanese fashion, e.g. CDG. Could you maybe elaborate on why he is adamantly not going to be referencing CDG? I'm not necessarily saying that his work is a direct translation of the images that I'm referring to, just that it doesn't look to me like it's a direct translation from boro either, so there must be something inbetween. Not "oh there's ss83 again!" but also not "oh, boro!"

areo

Postby areo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Again, I see what you're saying, and I don't want to sound like I'm banging on about the same thing over and over again... but I just don't really think that you can separate eastern capital F fashion from these shapes, forms and attitudes to gender. I mean even mentioning those two sets of things in conjunction is to describe why someone like Rei Kawakubo is famous: deconstructing ideas about form, gender, etc. through the use of traditional (Japanese) shapes and techniques. Even if he hadn't picked up a fashion magazine before going to university, he definitely picked up a few while he was there, and he probably still does now. I think that it's probably quite difficult for a fashion designer now to explore shapes, forms and attitudes to gender by looking at 'eastern' models without thinking a little about the work that has been done before by Comme des Garcons etc. I guess that my point isn't really about Craig Green any more, it's more to say that I don't think that fashion design is done in a vacuum. Even if someone isn't the type to deliberately make a collection in reference to another designer, I don't think think that design is such a one way process that you can totally and forever avoid thinking about what else has been done.

areo

Postby odradek » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:12 pm

odradek

Postby blanket » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:39 am

maggie howell ss16
ImageImage

blanket

Postby blanket » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:58 am

some actual references

pol chambost and rafjil aw09

kazimir malevich and chanel aw03 (imo feels quite incongruous, lazily done)
Image Image Image

blanket

Postby bels » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:14 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Lorcan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:02 pm

Lorcan

Postby Lorcan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:02 pm

On further googling, it seems Charles Burns is quite a well-known cartoonist who's done some really interesting looking graphic novels. Anyone read any of this stuff?

The Black Hole cover with the eyes blocked out is very Facetasm

Actually I find it cool/interesting that a lot of streetwear brands are inspired by comics and 90s graphics design in a really obvious way, but with Facetasm you wouldn't guess where the flintstone came from.

Lorcan

Postby Bonobonobo » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:33 am

Sasquatchfabrix

http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2014/05/06/ ... i-war-ads/

I only really found out about this because the name of the clothing happened to be "korosuna jacket" which made it easy to google. For some reason it makes me feel paranoid (best way I can describe it) about how I probably miss the references and influences of a lot the clothing I admire or wear. Not that I would get a jacket without knowing the meaning of the words on the back, but when it comes to abstract graphics and the like it's very easy to have no idea of their context, or misinterpret entirely. I guess it bothers me because appreciating something meaningful purely because it looks cool seems to be a disservice to the meaning and also the designer's intent.

I don't know, do you guys find it's a disservice, offensive, or superficial? (might be better to ask in random fashion thoughts)

Bonobonobo

Postby hharrissonn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:05 pm

imo if you're wearing a garment like this, it sort of implies it's own politics regardless of those of the wearer. So not really a disservice to appreciate it purely for the aesthetics because the designer's intent/politics of the piece/history attached are all still there for everyone else to interpret.

i wouldn't say it's superficial but i would say it matters more in the case of appropriating religious iconography/culturally sensitive/sacred themes

hharrissonn
Look Arena Champion

Postby Bobbin.Threadbare » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Bobbin.Threadbare

Postby saveed_samir » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:16 am

saveed_samir

Postby Julio » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:03 am

Julio

Postby oucho » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm

JW Anderson

gardening trousers

I've seen pairs with the exact same quilting before too but can't find any pics online

oucho

Next

Return to Tags