[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Techdad Discussion

Techdad Discussion

Clothes

Re: Explain cyberpunk to pirx so he can sell it to old peopl

Postby talkin2snakes » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:38 am

any teens know much about the video game 'prey'?

talkin2snakes

Postby bels » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:53 am

New one on the space station or the old one with the native American

bels
Yung Winona

Postby INNIT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm

INNIT

Postby talkin2snakes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:26 am

it really is just that final sequence that slips the net, which is why i think its important. i saw an interview where garland said he thought about finishing with ava in the lift but felt it would then become the story of the nerd guy, and he wanted it to be ava's narrative (which as you say is almost impossible to represent anyway).
is 'who goes there' worth reading? i'd never even heard of it but funnily enough i was thinking the other day i'd like to watch 'The Thing' again

talkin2snakes

Postby bels » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:51 pm

I just read it at work and no

bels
Yung Winona

Postby INNIT » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 pm

you know what is worth a read: "blindsight." totally forgot about this novel but it expands on cp's obsession with consciousness/subjectivity in very interesting ways. do not be dissuaded by the space vampires and such, it's pretty good readin. also it's free on the guy's website (peter watts i think)

INNIT

Postby talkin2snakes » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm

tbh im working on sci fi film project with trans artist and of course butler/mulvey identity/performativity is central, perhaps too much so. i want to engage with/exploit true nerds, how do i find them? sci fi/gamer forums?

talkin2snakes

Postby talkin2snakes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

i want it to be a proper film, not just meditation on identity/transmission etc. judith butler/derrida stuff is my 'natural' (lol) context, like i said i know very little about sci fi, what i want is people who can help frame this within the medium/genre. essentially i want people who can tell me stuff i don't know about/wouldnt think about or visualize.
anyway as i think i said before, ridley scott used my friend's drawing in 'alien covenant' and paid only £200 for image rights (partly because i forgot to call back and negotiate), so its not like nerds dont rip us off too

talkin2snakes

Postby thephfactor » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:54 am

thephfactor

Postby bels » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:19 pm

scifi is at this point a nonsensically large genre, which was never much of a real genre anyway (I'm sure you know this) so you probably need to be a bit more specific rather than "nerds"

(Given basically everyone thinks Westworld and Game of Thrones are peak culture atm the amount of "nerds" out there is pretty incalculable)

Also how much do you want for bloody image rights.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby talkin2snakes » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:04 pm

this seems a rather regressive, humanist approach tho? feel u r not a true nerd.
if there's one thing we can learn from the machines (a la lee sedol/alphaGo) surely it's that one should always utilise the hive-mind?

there was actually a very good example here a while back: i was talking about gaming (god knows why, last game i played was house of the dead), some guy talked about how in a game he had accidentally/indifferently killed a character who meant him no harm, and after he realised his mistake went back and restarted, only to be accosted by a new character who accused him of being a murderer trying to cover his tracks. which is exactly the kind ofgranular knowledge im talking about (whilst also feeling like a queasy dostoevskian dream). Presumably a moment that stood out from many hundreds/thousands of hours of game-time that i will never put in.
edit: also, im really lazy, do you think people get into the art game to do in-depth research??

talkin2snakes

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:48 pm

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 am

current-day chinese surveillance system, straight out of a neill blomkamp movie

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby sen2 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Does anyone know what the bullets say?

sen2

Postby nope » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am

It's the brand list for everything they're wearing. Whole thing's a massive automated SUTO thread and if you get too many neg reps you go to prison.

nope

Postby rjbman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Hey so Blade Runner 2049 is coming out soon. Denis Villeneuve had some shorts made that sort of fill in some of the gaps between the original (set in 2019) and the new one (set in 2049).

(last one is done by Shinichiro Watanabe of Bebop / Champloo fame)

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 pm

now that blade runner 2049 is coming out it's annoying to see all these pop culture critics try to make woke takes about how morally questionable deckard was in the original, like that wasn't absolutely the point of his character

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby talkin2snakes » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 am

didnt know neil blomkamp's shorts were here, the one i watched (dakota) was pretty good, obviously inspired by 'the thing'

https://oatsstudios.com/

talkin2snakes

Postby Northwest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Blade Runner 2049 is so many things I wanted it to be, and so many things I couldn't have seen coming. I highly recommend it for anyone on this website, certainly. The costume design does so many fascinating things within the world that it is built on and expands. The production design, especially of the spaces where people live, is phenomenal.

I can't think of a movie that's made more of its budget than this one has. If people are going to spend money on enormous feats of imagination, we are lucky the stars aligned for this one.

Northwest

Postby bels » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am

Blade Runner 2049 is the final act completing the dadification of cyberpunk. From now on you aren't allowed to talk about cyberpunk unless you have a little bundle of joy in your life causing mischief. No more tech-wear fitpics unless your holding a tiny hand. Your 3a should contain moistened wipes and a blankie. Renaming the thread and setting the filter to replace "tech-wear" with "dadcore", "ninja" with "image conscious dad" and "teleports behind you" with "tries to provide a strict value system within a nurturing, caring environment"

bels
Yung Winona

Re: Techdad Discussion

Postby deadkitty » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 pm

v cool of blade runner 2 to construct a world that completely excludes poc!! v great to see a vision of the future (in 2017!) in which androids will only be made in the image of white people!! v good to see a very large eastern asian population that is hinted at but completely relegated to the very bottom of the world's power structures!!

a film thats literally about racialization!!

deadkitty

Postby rjbman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 pm

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby nope » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:21 am

I haven't seen it so can't really comment but was interested to see just how ridiculous an exclusively white people LA would be in 2049. According to the extremely helpful LA is projected to be 38% white in 2050 (compared with 54% now).

nope

Postby deadkitty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 pm

not one to really call out negs but wondering what your angle is here. do you have an issue with calling out racism? or is there something i'm missing about the film?

deadkitty

Postby silvaeri » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:29 pm

- explain why you think it's an absurd criticism of the film. because just saying that without any reasoning is pretty hollow. if you can't recognize that this is yet another example of racism within scifi, then idk dude. look hard at why this is problematic. and why your response to it being called out and brought to attention is problematic.

edit: keep coming with the negs. trying to prompt discussion on why representation in scifi is important and that deadkitty's critique of the film is 1) perfectly valid and 2) important. I want to see alby's reasoning that he thinks deadkitty's critique is 'absurd'.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby alby » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:43 pm

I think in this specific case the film is not trying to have any grandiose messages about race in my opinion. It just seems like such a strange connotation to attach a movie. Not one friend of mine has said a bad thing about the movie, and friends of color haven't even hinted at a possible racist intent from the movie. I honestly see no issue. In Sci-Fi as a whole, there might be a problem. Not sure. Movies like Ghost in the Shell (remake) have a very inherent problem that I think everyone can agree. I honestly could be way off base but I just don't see the issue. Please enlighten me if I am objectively wrong.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby silvaeri » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 pm

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:05 pm

^ is that a criticism of blade runner just as a film in general, or as a specific narrative universe?

deadkitty's post implied both but what you're saying can be applied to... most movies, really

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby silvaeri » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:10 pm

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:24 pm

calling out individual films as racist, even if it's completely true, is bad praxis – it atomizes the broader argument into squabbles about individual films, which obscures the systemic racism that pervades the entire film industry. it also makes the argument just about *that* movie, which is not the point at all.

every woke take about individual films should be required to dive deeper into the dynamics and hierarchies of hollywood as a hegemonic culture industry, because nothing will change about american/western filmmaking if progressive energy is fragmented across every individual product of said culture industry. anything less than that is masturbatory imo

CheerUpBrokeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Tags