[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Techdad Discussion

Techdad Discussion

Clothes

Re: Techdad Discussion

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 pm

they should just cast the acronym crew in cyberpunk movies, honestly

they really embody the futurist ideal of people transcending racial and national barriers in their pursuit of Aesthetic Nerd Shit

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby deadkitty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 am

blade runner is literally about race

the film also creates this really messy representation of pan asian-ness. it slaps together all this eastern asian iconography just to commodify and present as something for western consumption. reducing asian identity to only the visual is straight up fetishization.

and there are no asian characters

deadkitty

Postby Northwest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:01 am

Northwest

Postby Bonobonobo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 am

I think that the original's aesthetics are shallow Asian aesthetics because there's simply no explanation nor sense to be made outside of speculation. East Asian mega corporations have taken over earth yet the Tyrell corporation reigns supreme even as the LA its HQ is surrounded by has essentially become a futuristic Hong Kong/Tokyo. Despite owning the means of production there are no Asian people (or any PoC) to be seen in the elite. The film doesn't attempt to explain the contradictions beause, well, it's 1982 and they either don't care or they're not cognizant of them. You can come up with several theories but you'd be limited to blind speculation because there's simply not much to go on, because believability and issues of race are subordinate to aesthetics and making sure not to alienate white people.

BR2049 had the problem of inheriting the shallow aesthetics of the original, and I was hoping that a movie made today would be able to unravel and reexamine the orientalist setting of a movie created in 1982. So this time, instead of all the Asians being lower class in a world taken over by East Asia, the world taken over by East Asia has no visible Asians. And oh yeah, now there's also cyrillic and the CCCP everywhere, except there are no Russians.

Like I understand that exploring the setting in depth is not the priority of either movie, and that's fine. But when it's so willfully ignored it goes, for me, from being window dressing to being inconsistent and distracting. I'll admit that if I hadn't seen deadkitty's post before seeing the film I probably wouldn't have noticed. This isn't like the GitS movie, where Hollywood's reluctance to portray Asians (among other races) is put front and center by the lead casting choice. But seeing it from that lens does distract me, and does make me want my Asian half to be represented.

Bonobonobo

Postby Northwest » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:16 pm

Deadkitty reminded me in the rep comment of the asian man doing Luv's nails while she's drone striking K, and that shatters the argument that BR2049 is being careful with the images it presents. It's one of the shittiest, laziest stereotypes and there it is on the big screen. I really had to reach to defend this movie, and I don't know why I came in with the attitude that people "weren't doing their homework." It's a bad attitude to have in any conversation.

Excellent, quick, critical read on geopolitical context for the aesthetics of the orignal Blade Runner.

This line sticks out to me due to my prior argument, and due to sci-fi precedent: "I won't believe the argument that Blade Runner is largely white because most humans left for off-world colonies. That's just silly."

As a piece of context, Ray Bradbury wrote two short stories about this exact concept. In these stories, the world's black population leaves Earth for Mars because of how they are treated, and then receive a white visitor many years later. He uses these stories to discuss the emotional burdens placed on the victims of racism, the value of diversity, and how racism simplifies a life but complicates the world. The final choice offered to the inhabitants of Mars is whether to continue the sins of the past or to mourn the monstrous effects of one terrible idea and hope to move beyond it.

Whether or not you find these stories compelling is entirely up to you. Having read these stories, I now recognize I was lenient with BR2049 because I knew you can ask and answer interesting questions using this concept. But the more I read in here and other articles the filmic evidence and emotional evidence only adds up to reveal BR2049 chooses to be "safe", predictable, lazy, and wrong in its representation of Earth's population.

Northwest

Postby JonjoShelvey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 am

In the future only propper brand bdu will be the accepted pant, better get on it now

JonjoShelvey

Postby thephfactor » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:23 am

Just watched and i have a bunch of thoughts that i will hopefully remember to post tomorrow.

But in the meantime. Jared Leno has to be the worst actor to still get into big movies of all time. He's dog shit. Any decent character actor could've made something really memorable out of that role and instead we get the most insufferable prick on the planet just playing his usual character of "most insufferable prick on the planet."

thephfactor

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:28 am

this equifax scandal is the most cyberpunk shit ever

high tech: the concept of 3 major credit services owning the financial data of all the people in the US, data that is necessary to live in the 21st century

low life: the credit services are run by massive dipshits who mismanage this essential data to a comical degree, making it easier than ever for malicious hackers to ruin random people's lives

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Re: Explain cyberpunk to pirx so he can sell it to old peopl

Postby thephfactor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:36 am

thephfactor

Postby bels » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 am

I also agree philby that the aesthetics of the film though "big" are definitely watered down compared to the original. Compare:

One is a neo roccoco throwback. The other is just the present day with a statement coat. (Also note the leaden, inanimate state of Ryan Gosling's acting, such that it appears as though he has literally been cast in a mould and cannot move of his own volition)

bels
Yung Winona

Postby talkin2snakes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:53 am

talkin2snakes

Postby talkin2snakes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 am

https://www.fastcompany.com/40441141/re ... art-cities

but then, the article itself doesnt seem completely implausible.. i suppose it just depends if you swallow this line about MPesa, WU etc trying to 'empower'

talkin2snakes

Postby vgtbls » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:44 am

vgtbls

Postby alby » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:21 am

it has been really enjoyable to watch taylor just throw oodles of money at her music videos recently. really cool. song is pretty good imo really catchy but i don't really care for the drops. that video makes almost 0 sense with the song but it's sick lol

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby rjbman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm

there's nothing more cyberpunk than commercial exploitation of surface level cyberpunk subculture aesthetic

e: except contacts, i mean WOW so great

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby oucho » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:57 am

I would say it's a close call as to whether I get called more by robots or by my friends

oucho

Postby odradek » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:30 pm

odradek

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:36 pm

ofc lambos are like the archetypal bougie veblen goods but i'll always respect their fanatical devotion to aesthetics
terzo millenio electric car concept

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby white_paper_unicorn » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:26 am

hey guys new here i made a collage of popular techwear instagram people with a blade runner 2049 backdrop to see how theyd look against a real-ish cyberpunk backdrop. i browse here but never post. thought it would be a good time to start lol. so.. hi

white_paper_unicorn

Postby mittens » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Last edited by mittens on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mittens

Postby rjbman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:50 am

rjbman

Postby odradek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 pm

odradek

Postby mooncorp » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:17 am

club exx on dollskill.com is wild lol

mooncorp

Postby odradek » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:01 pm

odradek

Postby rjbman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 pm

It's like they never watched Terminator.... Boston Dynamics latest creation

rjbman

Postby nope » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

Nearly 20 years behind the times here but hadn't seen Alexander McQueen's Givenchy AW99 collection before. Well cyber m8

nope

Postby odradek » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:20 pm

odradek

Postby kickingthefly » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:00 am

black panther : boring formulaic marvel comics narrative, and i was really disappointed in the way the afro-futurist technology was depicted- all very gleaming, stylised and comic book-y. really struggling to find anything interesting about the whole film beyond obvious woke take.

kickingthefly

Postby odradek » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

logging on to care-tags dot org

odradek

Postby thephfactor » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:20 pm

thephfactor

PreviousNext

Return to Tags