[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - y r u wearing that with that?!

y r u wearing that with that?!

Clothes

y r u wearing that with that?!

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:20 pm

brand synergy thread, have @ it

are you satan if you wear norse projects with supreme?!

Last edited by maj on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maj

Re: y r u wearing that with that?!

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:20 pm

maj

Postby can- » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Norse and supreme go together because they are basically the same quality garment and the care tags are very similar design.

supreme and Norse were also amongst the first to cash in on 'interesting' 5 panels before they became de rigeur streetwear item

they also both jock established brands like dockers and brooks bros when they make dumb
unbranded branded basics-- stupid brand tag on inside of shirt placket or a little nylon woven tag on the back pocket of work chinos.

can-

Postby RycePooding » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:51 pm

my favo combo wombos:

dana lee and patagonia

nike and ll bean

lands end and outlier

hanes and levis

red wings and royal robbins

RycePooding

Postby bels » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm

Contrary to intuition, Palace and Supreme is terrible brand synergy, they are mutually exclusive.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:02 pm

norse and supreme both do what they do very well and look the same but they're also two different people, supreme was the kid who bunked school to skate and norse was the kid who rode his mountain bike after he done his homework, done the dishes and told his mum he wouldn't be back late. only way their spheres overlap is they're both popular on hypebeast.

maj

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:17 pm

son this post was pre 2008 collab

http://www.fuk.co.uk/threads/brand_harmony/1/

http://hypebeast.com/2008/12/visvim-x-s ... collection

on the topic of palace it was utter shite for ss on the back of those dope britania polos, the reebok parrot stuff and all they got out this year was some PALACE DEPARTMENT gear which was p wank. hoping they reel it back in this time round as the first drops rool out friday or they would have lost touch with their message and shall be resigned to the OVER bin because they caved to asap and drake. other than both the shops skaters wearing each others clothes and supreme uk/possibly ny stocking palace there is little overlap in most motifs i'd agree.

maj

Postby can- » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Norse might've been coopted by 2013-14 goodboys moving on from clarks and uniqlo to 50$ textured tees but to me it will always be a part of 2010/11 worn by educated streetheads with a mix of taps, supreme, acronym and other niche jp brands

can-

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:32 pm

N)ORSE vs NORSE

maj

Postby purkinje » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

supreme x stone island/cp company is happening soon if rumors are to be believed. Huge victory for brand synergy. It will be the corpus callosum to the two halves of my wardrobe.

a disaster is a terrible thing to waste
purkinje

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:50 pm

loss for the brand synergy cause as whole tho, did preme wearers ever wear si or cpc? relevant article http://i-d.vice.com/en_gb/read/think-pi ... lad-casual

rip the collab that never was, we await confirmation on palace x adidas

maj

Postby RycePooding » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

can someone educate me on palace

RycePooding

Postby maj » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 pm

maj

Postby can- » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:10 pm

one of the supreme ny guys has been wearing a stone island longcoat for at least 4 years

can-

Postby Blastoise » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I think being creative and being able to create your own vision from your resources is more important than brand synergy and strictly adhering to a brand's vision (but of course they go hand in hand and you can use that to your advantage).

Blastoise

Postby maj » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:41 pm

if you have a runway show with no clear message and a hodgepodge of looks it's not going to be held in high regard compared to one which has used cuts and motifs to curate a clear defined over arching theme. if we apply this to what we wear very few of us have a unique look which isn't inspired by what brands sell us or is trending at the time and if we do it doesn't matter where you buy your clothes you're not going to achieve your "personal look", with that said i feel it's only natural we buy from brands which sell the look or looks we want and use their pieces and brand identities in the same way a designer uses motifs to get our aesthetic goal across. i don't see brand synergy as limiting in anyway, at least no more limiting than when you pick clothes out of your wardrobe and visually match them and we all do that without comment. it's just another layer that makes outfits special and personal as well as cohesive to an outsider.

maj

Postby bels » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 am

Someone once said, when you dress you have few options:
"
In fashion you either:
-Dress by philosophy/Aesthetic
-Dress by brand
-Dress by hype
-*shoot from the hip/great personal styling (extremely rare that it really looks good )[seenmy and that matrimoniods kid are the only people who manage -ed]
-Dress like shit.

But to someone, you will always look like shit."

bels
Yung Winona

Postby hamburgerlady » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 pm

hamburgerlady

Postby BIGBEE » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:20 pm

How do you guys feel about supreme and bape together? I know for me it doesn't seem right even after the collabs. The brands just seem too separate from each other visually and lifestyle-y. To use the analogy; Supreme is the kid that ditched school to go skating, he doesn't give a fuck about fashion he just buys quality and cool. Bape is the japanese interpretation of kids that ditched school to go hang out at a street corner; and wear clothing 2 sizes too big and drink brass monkeys. Their whole crew wishes they had a bentley to ride around the city in. I also think bape takes itself too damn seriously compared to supreme. Supreme will release some very tongue in cheek stuff i.e. snakeskin flannel, the accessories, that fur pullover last season.

I was looking through the most recent lookbooks of each brand and you can tell that the person who does the styling for supreme thinks a lot about how to make the outfits look very "thrown" together and not fashionable (the designer even said "fashion is a disaster"). Every thing is really loud (with a few exceptions), they aren't afraid to put 4 different patterns into an outfit. This goes against the monochrome trend. Supreme makes their lookbooks seem effortless with no changes in lighting, models, hell even poses That being said I'm a big fan of the supreme lookbooks.

Some examples that I think capture what I'm talking about

The actual outfits in the bape lookbook are very similar to Supreme. Lots of bright colors, plenty of patterns, everyone looks sad.

Strong example

The big difference to me comes down to the budget and how put together the outfits look. Bape obviously spent much more time on this lookbook. There are a bevy of different angles. Bape also really likes to use a sweatsuit look with their signature camo. To me this seems like a styling choice supreme would make, but they never do despite the fact that every season they offer a sweatsuit (PCL, Crosses, the fuck'them sweats from this season) One exception was the stone wash kung fu suit in last seasons lookbook, but that fits into the whole playful tongue in cheek thing.

Back to sweatsuits; sweatsuits are too affected for the lifestyle supreme sells. The supreme customer doesn't think about what he wears he just throws on whatever's on the top of the drawers, grabs his skateboard and skates the rest of the day. The Bape customer cares about clothing more than the supreme customer and so the brand takes itself more seriously by wearing matching shorts and shirts. Clothing has always been a big part of the hip-hop lifestyle that Bape sells. But clothing is not a big part of the specific skate or die lifestyle that supreme sells (obviously gear is a big part of skateboarding culture today)

Selected examples from the most recent Bape lookbook

BIGBEE

Postby can- » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:29 pm

the design at bape isn't really there anymore, they still make some cool stuff but it tends to be that they throw enough shit at the wall and some of it sticks rather than deliberate and intelligent design. supreme's design team only gets better with age (not that the brand has become 'cooler' with age)-- ten years ago supreme didn't have a textile designer or as big a print team, and they've been able to use their $$$ really well imo.

bape makes ugly things as their MO anymore while for supreme that is just one of the tools in their setup.

I think there is also a layer of camp with bape that doesn't apply to supreme. these days most people "in the know" (sorry) wear ape with a degree of irony while supreme is still making garments that are cool in their own intrinsic right.

can-

Postby BIGBEE » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 pm

The brands go together aesthetically in my head (especially because of the collaboration). I realize the actual customer bases of supreme and bape are the same. I think there is definitely the existence of an ideal customer that brands have. I think this is where the brands diverge for me in terms of brand synergy. Supreme also has a level of authenticity to it that Bape doesn't have ( I don't consider this a bad thing)

Edit: I don't really care that much about brand synergy in what I wear. BUT I do like to talk about clothing so here I am.

BIGBEE

Postby ramseames » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:10 pm

ramseames

Postby maj » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:29 am

victim levels critical, but so is the synergy

post ur full brand outfits.

maj

Postby maj » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 pm

maj