[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - green hair and an unmistakable smell

green hair and an unmistakable smell

Off topic

green hair and an unmistakable smell

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:24 pm

official care-tags swimming thread

You guys can keep picking stuff up and whatever but we'll be over here with the most attractive bodies and highest chance of survival if the care-tags ocean commune sinks

Gonna get this thread started with the most stereotypical Best Race Of All Time but if you don't know anything about competitive swimming you need to watch this race, starts at about 2:00. Those full body suits were nuts, it's 'great' throwing them on for a practice and trying to beat your best times
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/7735706[/vimeo]

feel free to talk about how dumb your coach's set was today, how hard it is to swim without a coach yelling at you, how you missed your standard by less than a second to people who can sympathize instead of saying "oh that's very close!"

mc-lunar

Re: green hair and an unmistakable smell

Postby odradek » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:38 pm

best sets:

10x100 3:00 sprint from the blocks, no recovery

go fast, throw up

4x50 1:00 swim
4x50 :55 drill
4x50 :50 stroke
4x50 :45 swim

perfect rev set, very elegant on the clock

6x100 1:30 odd stroke even free

push a stroke, cruise a free, over before you know it.

odradek

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:56 pm

this is still my favorite set of all time, it's the best pre-taper sprint work i've ever done. bookend it with some stroke on one side and some pull on the other

3x {

1x25 :20 all out
1x25 easy
2x25 :17.5 all out
1x50 easy
3x25 :15 all out
1x75 easy
}

for the longest time my coach was obsessed with this thing they do in ucla called the "golden bear flop" that's like 200 metres, every wall is an open turn with 15m fly kick fast, 10 m easy. I've done agonizing sets but that was always the longest 4x200m every day

Last edited by mc-lunar on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mc-lunar

Postby vgtbls » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:02 pm

I taught swimming for two summers. Here's some things kids are not good at:

Holding onto the wall
Floating on their backs
Diving (hilarious to watch)
Not peeing
Understanding their limits

vgtbls

Postby prawnzee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:12 pm

I flunked the swimming test in the army :roll:

prawnzee

Postby Syeknom » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Happy that I can get back to swimming with my back now, but my shoulder's gone and buggered itself up instead

Syeknom

Postby finolino » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 pm

gained 13 seconds on my 200 breast last saturday... great start to the season!

also, fucking illinois swimming changed the state cut for that event from a 2:24 (which i comfortably had) to a 2:17... fml

also, everyone else please post times. nothing more fun to swimmers than preemptively judging other swimmers by how fast they are!

finolino

Postby popcorn » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 am

Who here did yearround (USA Swimming)?

I quit yearround going into 9th grade on account of myself handling time terribly and having to force myself to practice, but it's really tempting to rejoin this year. I absolutely loved this high school season, and I need something to do with myself. My old team grew to be huge, which I don't really consider enjoyable, but a smaller team would probably not only be less expensive but a few of my friends are on a smaller team.

Can I get some heart-to-heart, swim-tags? Anyone come back to yearround?

Also, my times are nothing to be proud of right now, I can't get my short-course 500 below 5:25, and that's my favorite. Is there a better race for ottermode bodies?

popcorn

Postby finolino » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:45 am

been on my 11th year of usa, and i can honestly say that even though i haven't gotten faster at all in the past few years (went into high school with a 5:12, am now swimming 5:10's as a senior), being with a club team all year has helped keep me in shape more than training on my own ever would. it's definitely worth it, even if you're just doing it for the physical benefit.

the thing about club, though, is it also lets you stay consistently fast throughout the year, meaning you'll never feel out of shape. this in turn will allow you to keep getting faster and pushing boundaries unable to be pushed if you only swim during high school season. my soph year, i consistently split <5:20's in my 500 at dual meets while swimming club beforehand. my jr year, though, i had taken a break from july to late november when club started up again, and i started the season back up splitting 5:40's (blegh).

imo the 500 is the perfect race. you start out going easy and then, as the adrenalin and testosterone really start flowing, you can start hammering it out faster and faster until you're swimming like an absolute monster for that last 100. the warm down after (which my hs refs usually let 500'ers do because they know the race is probably the most tiring on the hs meet program) is satisfying, and you just overall feel great. keep swimming that; you'll inevitably get faster as you learn how to pace yourself more.

finolino

Postby finolino » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:37 pm

resurrecting this to say

you know your pool is overchlorinated when your taste buds keep falling out at the dinner table after practice

finolino

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37 pm

the fastest freestyle sprinter in the world was checking out the pool in fake canada in preparation for the pan am games and decided to drop by one of our practices. it was ridiculous to be swimming with someone who's indisputably the best in the world at my race. inspiring and intimidating

mc-lunar

Postby odradek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:54 pm

holy shit.

did you play bean with him?

odradek

Postby finolino » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:41 pm

just thought of a great idea for a swimming shirt

so, it'll have a picture of a guy stepping up on the block wearing a cap, goggles, and then a pair of loose wool trews

and the caption will be

"embrace the pool"

finolino

Postby adiabatic » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:08 pm

Started swimming again since the weather's in the 70s and 80s (mid-to-high 20s) now. All distances in this post are in yards. Pace is, broadly, leisurely (except for fly).

Saturday 2/6: 50 free, 100 IM, 50 other
Sunday 2/7: 50 free, 200 IM, 50 other
Monday 2/8: 50 free, 200 IM, 50 other

I know from /r/swimming that laps will stoke an appetite, but I wasn't prepared to get THE HUNGER OF A THOUSAND ZOMBIES from trivial amounts of back-and-forth. I've started eating three meals a day and gained five pounds (2 kg) since Saturday morning. I know some of the weight gain is water retention from salty salad dressings when it's 78° outside, but I'm getting an inexplicably large appetite from barely any exercise…

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby mc-lunar » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:25 pm

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/n ... om-france/

hoping this is just another nail in the coffin of "video evidence doesn't matter" but it seems like it's not gonna go that way :(

mc-lunar

Postby adiabatic » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00 pm

locker room got renovated and now has one of those suit-spinner things. turned my speedos from drippy to damp in 15 seconds. I think I'm in love

“clothing for attractive rich people in their 20s to go to weddings in” — Zack Johnson on Vineyard Vines
adiabatic

Postby odradek » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:11 am

no no no those wear out your suits super quickly

odradek

Postby adiabatic » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:01 pm

adiabatic

Postby popcorn » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:58 pm

popcorn

Postby mc-lunar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:29 pm

whatever happens when you go to school, do your best not to lose the fitness you've built up. take it from me - i stopped swimming at uni and then didn't do anything else, and now i'm in a really mediocre place fitness wise. trying to get back into it is painful and frustrating so stay active!

mc-lunar

Postby mc-lunar » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:38 am

mc-lunar

Postby adiabatic » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:06 am

accursèd "don't be in the sun" smear-on medication

adiabatic

Postby nevergreen » Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:37 pm

been swimming lately since it's such a a good full body workout plus it's great for my knees. it's fuckin hard i love it. i'm slowly but surely improving, i swam 850 meters yesterday and i was POOPED after, but it's a lot better than what i was doing two weeks ago. except i realized i was being dumb cause i wasn't drinking any fluids during my swim like obviously i'm still sweating i'm just in water so i'm dehydrating myself...

anyone got any general tips for technique or just getting the best workout possible?

nevergreen

Postby adiabatic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:13 am

adiabatic

Postby mc-lunar » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:03 pm

: getting from point A -> point B in swimming is basically all about minimizing drag and maximizing propulsion (trashpile said this once way more eloquently). so the basics there are making sure your body is flat in the water (i.e. your hips aren't sinking ) and making sure you "capture" good amounts of water in your pulls. there's a couple easy things to do - keep your fingers together on your hands, kick from your hips and not from your knees, try to minimize the amount your body swings about when you breathe, look at the bottom of the pool instead of looking forward.

you should be able to get from "complete noob" to 1500 meters in about a month and a half.

mc-lunar

Postby nevergreen » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 pm

yooo just swam a mile to hit my goal! i know it's not a ton but i've improved a lot i'm super pumped about it.

nevergreen

Return to Care