[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Bikes

Bikes

Off topic

Re: I like to wear spandex and put things between my legs

Postby ramseames » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:02 pm

unless you're doing dumb messenger shit the "i need narrow bars to squeeze through tight spaces" thing is a fallacy. drop bars are good if you plan on doing riding recreationally outside of just commuting because you get multiple positions. but otherwise flat bars are just plain better.

discs are so, so much better than v brakes. ppl only really tolerate v brakes on road bikes because they've never tried high end discs and because discs do weigh more. discs also have a lot more modulation, you're much less likely to lock them up and skid. I can't recommend them enough

ramseames

Postby nothobo » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:24 am

Tucson has been amazing.

Discs are great, buy them if you have the money. But they also make your bike look more expensive so people might want to steal it more

nothobo

Postby bels » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:05 am

Thanks bike fiends. I feel like I want to get a single speed with drops and disc brakes but I think I want that just berceuse it looks cool.

Will think about flat bars but wanting to look cool dies hard.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ramseames » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:10 am

is it flat where you live?

unless its dead flat don't get a single speed to commute on

single speed is usually "this gear ratio is sub-optimum for whatever I'm doing"

fun to have if you have many bikes though.

ramseames

Postby silvaeri » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 am

I'm going to go counterpoint to and say get a single speed and be a man. Hills make you stronger. Singlespeeds are fantastic for commuting (though iirc you have a nice internal hub commuter so maybe go with a nicer geared road/cross bike w/dicks.). If you do want to go the single speed w/ dicks, might I suggest the All-City Nature Boy Disc. (Disclaimer I'm the biggest fucking AC fanboi so I will rep them whenever possible), pretty sure they have multiple UK dealers so you should be able to find one. It's a beautiful steel frame and I absolutely love it.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby bels » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:54 am

To clarify, I live in Cambridge which is flat as fuck. My longest journey is to the tennis club which looks like:

I just want to have more fun on it than my heavy city bike affords me.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby silvaeri » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:48 pm

Replace your tires when they wear out guys, don't be like me and ride on this tire and pray that you don't hit anything.

I hit a rock and got a flat at 1am last night, really not a pleasant experience in -20F windchill.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby silvaeri » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:02 pm

yeah, definitely my fault for being cheap and not grabbing a new tire sooner. but my tiny excuse is that that tire was constantly covered by snow/salt so I couldn't see how bad it was worn down. I thought it was only starting to show threads.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby bels » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:42 am

Ignoring everyone's advice to get discs and not get drops. Does anyone have any opinions on the 2014 Fairdale Parser? Looks like I can get one for #419

http://fairdalebikes.com/bikes/view-bik ... 14-parser/

Absolutely appalling colour scheme though.

Others considered: Vitus D29, Charge Plug 1/2, genesis day one (and genesis day one disc). Don't think I want to spend more than 500 though because I am going to lock this bike outside plenty.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby silvaeri » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 am

- never heard of fair dale but a quick look around their website makes them look pretty legit. Parser looks like a good SS option, it's chromoly (not shitty hi-tensile steel) and I like the color scheme a bit. It could definitely be worse.

Looking at your other considerations I really like the Genesis Day One, and minus not liking the color scheme a ton that'd be my choice.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby silvaeri » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

- Mainly like the Genesis more because the parts are actually named brands. I'm always leary of unbranded/unnamed parts on a complete build because usually that means they trying to hide something. Again, the Fairdale doesn't do much to actually tell you what's on the bike. Most of the "specs" are things you could tell just by looking at the bike and don't really tell you anything. The Genesis has components from reputable brands and isn't trying to hide anything about them from you. (Other than trying to hype you on their own Mjölnir chromoly, which is literally the same 4130 chromoly that most other bikes use for tubing).

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby bels » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:12 am

What about On-One pompino?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPOMPKOJ ... urban-bike

Think Local bike Stores have genesis so I might pop in to try out a day one.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby ptozzi » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 pm

I know nothing about bikes. But I really wanna start using one to get to class. My commute would be pretty much completely flat, so I was thinking about converting my dad's 25y/o bike into a fixie. How much can I expect to pay to turn an old 6-speed into something like this?

Maybe without the composite front wheel... for now

ptozzi

Postby ptozzi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 am

: it's not a pursuit bike, it's just an old road bike, but I like it's frame shape. Just wondering how much the handlebars, crankset, back wheel, tools, etc. would set me back.

ptozzi

Postby silvaeri » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:37 am

It will cost you probably as much to convert to a fixed gear as it would to buy an entry level bike assuming you're not using used / parts you have already and you're also not planning on buying shit parts that will break in ~6 months.

Actual itemized breakdown.

Pursuit Bars - $40ish
Crankset (low end not shit) - $60
Wheelset - $100 - $200
Cog - $15
Chain - $15
Brake (You'll want a new brake) - $20-$40
Cables and housing - $15-20
Brake lever - $15-30
Foot retention - $20
Handlebar tape - $15
Depending on the bike you'll probably need a new Bottom Bracket - $20

Total - $315 - $485

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby ptozzi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:29 pm

So after what some might consider a wake-up call, I decided that I'm gonna go check out the bike pictured below that I found on craigslist. Pretty cheap and hopefully in good condition. Slowly gonna replace parts until I get the look I want. Probably gonna start by getting the frame powder coated if i could find somewhere that does it for ~$100-150. Otherwise I'm gotta start with new handlebars and maybe wheels.

ptozzi

Postby odradek » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:44 pm

if you don't have friends who have old parts lying around to upgrade you with, buy a complete. there are different bases to build up from (kilo tt, windsor the hour, SE lager) but unless you have your eyes set on specific components, you might as well buy something that's good to start with. i don't think bikesnob does the pistadex anymore, but while fixies are still trading high in the used market, there are deals to be found and this ain't it. that bike looks cheap in the "i don't like to ride this" way. do you mind posting/pming the listing?

odradek

Postby ptozzi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 pm

After more deliberation I've decided to just buy a new bike. Like almost anything, it'll be worth the up front cost. Any suggestions?

ptozzi

Postby bels » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:48 pm

If you like your dad's old bike why not just ride that

bels
Yung Winona

Postby silvaeri » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:06 pm

I gave you some recommendations for FG/SS bikes, but honestly if you like your dads bike I'd suggest just having it tuned up, probably just needs new tires, cables, brake pads and a chain and it'd be good to go.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby huhuslum » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 pm

I recently got this vintage Fondriest racer for £150. It was just sitting in this farmers shed for years unused. Just replaced chain, tyres and bar tape. I gave it a ride today and it is so fast and light. Very pleased with myself :wink:

huhuslum

Postby nothobo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Going to start looking for more street art to take pictures with.

nothobo

Postby teck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:05 pm

any cats here use their city's bike sharing program?

im in nyc and use citibike. woop woop communalism!

i have a mercier kilo TT in pieces under my bed. i used to have a Felt TK2 but sold it back when i was a poor writer. it was impossible to steer.

teck

Postby silvaeri » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Felt TK2's (and 3's) are super cool bikes. Kinda jealous you owned one at one point. A few of my friends race on them and have nothing but good things to say.

professional idiot.
silvaeri

Postby teck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

it was super light and very responsive. the aluminum of it was "interesting" to ride on in the city, but the front tire clearance is bad for commuting and i ate it a few times on it.

i do miss riding a super light aggro track bike tho.

teck

Postby teck » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:25 pm

it was super light and very responsive. the aluminum of it was "interesting" to ride on in the city, but the front tire clearance is bad for commuting and i ate it a few times on it.

i do miss riding a super light aggro track bike tho.

teck

Postby WussWayne » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:32 am

I bought my first real bike today. Holy shit, it's so light
and fast!

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

Postby nothobo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 pm

Some more art

this is my caad

nothobo

Postby bels » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Sorry for the constant questions bike friends, I'm nearly done. Decided to get this:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/road/a-road/flyer

Just can't work out the sizing. I would go to the LBS etc etc but there's this government scheme designed to destroy all small bike shops in England that means if I order it online I save about two hundred pounds.

What do I measure on my body to try and work it out? Inseam? Arm span?

Also are there any tools that I should cop for basic maintenance? I have a socket set and hex keys, I'm thinking of chain cleaning/regreasing type gear.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby odradek » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:45 pm

probably gonna just want a 54.

odradek

PreviousNext

Return to Care