[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Travel

Travel

Off topic

Re: Travel

Postby nem » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:07 pm

Went to Egypt, saw a big lobster.

nem

Postby JewTurk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:50 pm

I think I'm going to try to be a WWOOFer this summer in July for four weeks, anyone have experience with this organization?

http://www.wwoof.net/

My girlfriend's brother did it for 6 months in Taiwan and is coming back pretty soon, thinking of doing it as well for a month or whatever I can negotiate for.

JewTurk

Postby Thomnd » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:27 am

Anyone have suggestions for Berlin? Might be going soon.

Thomnd

Postby CMYK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Going to be in London briefly on April 16th, and the 20th (and in Bath to visit my gf in between). Things I want to do include finding a Nazir Mahzir cap and going to the Tate. Any better suggestions?

CMYK

Postby ramdomthought » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:05 pm

where to park a car in fake canada for a month or two

travelling out of fake canada is nearly half the price of anywhere else around me

ramdomthought

Postby Iliam » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:10 am

went to hong kong

went to paris and antwerp

Iliam

Postby JewTurk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:39 am

Summer Road Trip 2k15

Me and my group of friends have always wanted to do it and so things are starting to solidify a bit and planning has begun and I'd love some input from others who have done some traveling on the west coast. We're starting in Tucson (all 5 of us) and ending in Colorado Springs (dropping one of us off) then driving back to Tucson.

SO, without further ado, the rough travel spots guideline.

START:
Day 0: (on road)
Tucson -> San Diego (stay night)

Day 1: (San Diego)
-Beach day + Boardwalk

Day 2: (San Diego)
(we'll be in San Diego before the 4th of July when it ends for sure)
-Del Mar Fair

Day 3: (on road)
San Diego -> LA (stay night)

Day 4: (on road)
LA -> San Francisco
-China Town

Day 5: (San Francisco)
-4th of July in San Fran
-Golden Gate Bridge
-Fireworks

Day 6: (on road)
San Francisco -> Redwood Forest

Day 7: (Redwood Forest)
-Camp in Gold Bluff's Beach

Day 8: (on road)
-Redwood Forest -> Yosemite
(stopping by Crater Lake on the way)

Day 9: (Yosemite)
-Camping in a cabin in Yosemite (renting it)
-Hiking

Day 10: (on road)
Yosemite -> Grand Canyon

Day 11: (Grand Canyon)
-Grand Canyon hike (south rim)

Day 12: (on road)
Grand Canyon -> Zion national park (just stopping by for 2-3 hours)
Zion -> (spot between Zion and Colorado Springs)

Day 13: (on road)
(spot between Zion and Colorado Springs)-> Colorado Springs

Day 14: (Colorado Springs)
-Rocky Mountain camping

Day 15: (on road)
-Drop off friend in Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs -> Four Corners (spend night)

Day 16: (on road)
Four Corners -> Tucson

END

We're budgeting ourselves for roughly 5,000 miles to get from Tucson all the way around then back to Tucson. The exact amount was like 4,500 from place to place.

Anything super cool we'd be driving by possibly? Any advice?

We're taking my Jeep and a camper to sleep in wherever we stop if we don't have somewhere to sleep (as in, not a campground and or house of family member). We were debating on taking two cars for the 5 of us but I don't know if the extra $1,000 on gas will be worth it...

We're getting a pass all the national parks, I'm honestly super fucking excited.

JewTurk

Postby IsaiahSchafer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:24 am

Qualifications: Live in Utah, been camping since I was a zygote, growing up we spent anywhere from 14-45 nights camping each year.

Grand Canyon isn't bad by any means, but if I had to choose where to allot my time between that and Zion's, I'd go with Zion's every time. (not sure if you've been to either already). Grand Canyon either needs more time or just a couple hours to see. You can see so much of it just by pulling into a couple scenic pull-offs and visitor center type places.

With Zion's, once you're in the park there's a bunch of different hikes you can do. Angel's Landing is one of my favorites because the view up there is awesome, and in my opinion even better than looking into the Grand Canyon because at Zion's you kind of "earn" the view. That hike alone takes several hours and that's not including the time you'll want to spend at the top (it sort of plateaus and there's a little bit of exploring/angles/sights to see). Not to mention there's a river running through it you can cool off in.

Canyonlands, Goblin Valley, Bryce Canyon, Moab/Arches are all roughly in between Zions and Colorado, and I would recommend any of them as well. Let me know if you have any questions about these bits, or anything else in Utah since I've probably stayed there before.

Also, this might sound condescending, but you're probably at that age where sunscreen is still super lame and getting tan is super duper cool cuz the babes love it! (speaking from experience) If you won't carry around an umbrella

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/ ... n-Umbrella

then at least get a wide brim hat and a ton of sunscreen that you'll reapply throughout the day. Skin cancer ain't nuthin ta fuck with! (My Dad just had a dime size hole gouged out of his nose to remove skin cancer and suddenly I'm hyper aware).

Also, options are limited coming back I assume, but everyone says Four Corners is super duper lame.

Re: 5 people in a jeep. Is it just a 5-seater jeep standard? Sounds like hell for that kind of distance. Suburban (or similar sized vehicle) with that kind of number is great, 2 in front seats, 2 in middle, 1 person can nap in the back and everyone still sprawls out.

IsaiahSchafer

Postby JewTurk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:38 am

JewTurk

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:29 pm

do you know what kind of sights you want to see? i can mainly comment on the california stuff

san diego has several beaches and depending on the jizz and stuff you want to do you might want to select accordingly. idk what exactly you're looking for, there is a bunch of stuff that san diego can offer

the drive from sd to la is not ~that~ long (depending on what route you take, traffic, what part of la you end up in). if you have time to kill I'd recommend taking the 101 to la, you drive through encinitas. also beautiful views of the ocean along the way.

la also has a lot to offer. again I don't know what you're looking for, but hollywood is the main tourist thing? and santa monica pier/3rd st. if that's not your cup of tea, the eames house in the palisades has tours, watch the sun set and the stars from griffith observatory, walk along the venice pier, hang out around abbott kinney, la arts district crawl, little tokyo (with the og mochi ice cream shop), silverlake, west hollywood shopping, supreme (worth seeing the skate bowl if you ask they might let you see it, but obv not ride it), downtown w/ grand central market, ace hotel

idk I don't want to ramble on but if you want more info about the california stuff you can pm me. oh yeah before I forget on your way to gold bluff from sf you'll encounter muir woods which is very fun, and if you happen to take the 1 near fort bragg is glass beach

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby JewTurk » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:01 pm

JewTurk

Postby smiles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:41 pm

In Seoul for the next few days. Anything fun to do? living in hongdae

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby starfox64 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 pm

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby ramseames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:52 pm

I went to the new mmca next to the Palace last year and it was pretty good fwiw

ramseames

Postby donut_milk » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:15 pm

I would skip Hollywood; it's crappy and not a whole lot to see. It's a huge, disappointing tourist trap with lots of people hassling you. Go there for a few minutes if you must see the Chinese theater but don't stay long. But other parts of Hollywood are worth checking out as far as the food/bar scene goes (outside of the blvd.).

Where in LA are you looking to go to and how long? I can give some recommendations or you can PM me; I live in the area and would be glad to point out some good stuff. has some great suggestions too.

And Yosemite is awesome. It's my favorite place. Lots to see and do! Plus you're going at a time when it won't be crowded. Are you hiking Half Dome?

donut_milk

Postby rublev » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:54 pm

I have just over 2 hours or so in Paris to kill, and i'm only having to walk between Gare du Nord and Gare de l'Est. I'll have some light luggage but nothing serious (no suitcases or anything). What should i do? I know nothing about Paris. Self important cafes and cultural sights welcome

@sknss >???? anyone else etc

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Blastoise » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Going to be out in Portland, Oregon/surrounding area for a week at the end of July with a friend. He's been out there a few times so we have some ideas, but any recommendations on restaurants/shops/things to do from the locals? I'd be up for hanging out too.

Blastoise

Postby can- » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:42 pm

im never going to grow too old to wear sunscreen

can-

Postby ramseames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:52 pm

I have extremely stuff bookmarked for pdx, I'll just pose all the links and you can sift thru

food

shopping

obviously did not visit everything when i was there for 3 days in the summer so I'll talk about the stuff I did

food:

shopping:

Should also mention that i rented a bike for an afternoon. can't remember the name of the LBS but it wasn't outrageously expensive, came with a lock and such. downtown/the surrounding areas are pretty flat, its a good biking city. lots of bikepaths too but riding in traffic is more fun anyway.

ramseames

Postby frogosaurus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:01 am

Do yall change how you dress at all when you travel? Depending on where I'm going I sometimes feel the need to dress "up" -- as in more presentable and more conventionally good-looking -- especially in places like Europe and major US cities. Going to Italy for 2 weeks in July and I'm entertaining the idea of a capsule wardrobe of stuff I wouldn't normally wear that often but could be fun in a foreign setting.

frogosaurus

Postby raags » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:02 am

Any JPN based cters? Or anyone going to Labyrinth festival? I'll be in Japan for the month of September ^_^

raags
Best Dressed

Postby smiles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:28 am

went to korea

Iliam came to hk

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:57 am

Lei Yue mun. And yeah a bit of lantau (or lamma?) To see the underwhelming big Buddha.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:47 pm

I'll be in Paris for a week this summer. Absolutely going to the Yohji flagship. Other than that though, I've no clue what I should be seeing. Does anybody with any familiarity with the city have any recommendations? Could be museums, restaurants, events, anything.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby jrisk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:18 pm

when are you going to be in paris ? the rjbaeman and I will be on a 3 week tour across europe from end of may to mid june.

jrisk

Postby sknss » Mon May 04, 2015 12:11 pm

what are caretaggers doing this summer

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby Ques » Sun May 10, 2015 1:41 am

Ques

Postby australia » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:23 pm

Headed to Malaysia (KL, Penang) and Vietnam (HCMC, Hanoi) for 3 weeks shortly, any thoughts?

australia

Postby Syeknom » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:21 am

Malaysia is amazing and the food is terrific.

Syeknom

Postby dull » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 am

i went to London for 2 weeks when i was 14. i remember hating it because i couldnt play video games. if only i could go back now because theres so many cool people and shops down there.

dull

PreviousNext

Return to Care