[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music is my boyfriend

Postby BobbyZamora » Wed May 18, 2016 5:02 am

a

Last edited by BobbyZamora on Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
B)
BobbyZamora

Postby Stolsdos » Wed May 18, 2016 10:34 am

Yeah I've been fucking around with DJ software and made this mix: https://www.mixcloud.com/edmwillieburns ... -5-4-2016/
I'm saving up for a DJ controller rn, but I've messed with my friends traktor and it was really fun. I'm going to try to be as old school as possible in practice so I can mix vinyl later on.

Stolsdos

Postby meatjacket » Thu May 26, 2016 12:07 pm

New strokes record out June 3rd

http://www.cultrecords.com/

meatjacket

Postby BIGBEE » Thu May 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Gucci is out of jail.

BIGBEE

Postby nevergreen » Fri May 27, 2016 12:57 pm

new Flume album out!! only listened to the first few songs but love it so far

nevergreen

Postby plaidappendix » Sun May 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Really been enjoying Soft-Fangs newish album, the Light. My friend showed him to me recently and I really like it, https://softfangs.bandcamp.com/

plaidappendix

Postby longjumps » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:38 pm

new Avalanches track is groovy — very excited to see what else they've cooked up

longjumps

Postby BIGBEE » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:53 pm

new strokes ep it looks like?

very, very special place in my heart for their first two albums. I've listened to is this it probably 100s of times and I never get tired of it

BIGBEE

Postby evilfriends » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:12 pm

That new Strokes EP is so interesting. It's titled "Future Present Past" and it seems like the songs themselves represent exactly that.

That would make OBLIVIUS the song that represents their current sound - really can't get into that one at all. That's weird because I liked Comedown Machine. Threat of Joy, the "past" part of this EP, sounds like it could come straight off Is This It which is one of the albums that are most defining for the music I listen to and love. One of my biggest inspirations to start playing guitar next to mbv's albums.

That would make Drag Queen an indication of their future sound and I couldn't be happier about that. It's clearly inspired by Julian's work with The Voidz, which shows him at his most experimental yet. I know a lot of Strokes fans weren't too excited about Tyranny in 2014, but I think it's an incredible album and a breath of fresh air for rock music in the current decade. Gonna link Human Sadness, which is in my opinion Julians best and most important song yet. So excited for what's to come with The Strokes

evilfriends

Postby sknss » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:41 pm

I love Trust Fund

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby bels » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:39 am

I give up on searching through these discogs. Can you just recc me some D&B albums that go hard as possible, preferably on spotify. That black sun one was good.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby CPV1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:37 am

Like most dance music, the genre doesn't really lend itself to albums, but here's a few similar (techstep/neurofunk) ones that are on Spotify:

Cause4Concern - Pandemic
Phace - Psycho
Noisia - Purpose
Audio ‎– Genesis Device
Dom & Roland - No Strings Attached
Dom & Roland - The Big Bang
Ed Rush & Optical - Wormhole
Ed Rush & Optical - The Creeps
Ed Rush & Optical - Travel the Galaxy
Bad Company - The Nine

CPV1

Postby bels » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:16 pm

It's true. I feel like listening to an entire drum and bass album is sort of the aural equivalent to hanging out with me when i've had a coffee.

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Copeland » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:48 pm

Finally got a pair of headphones (Brainwavz HM5) after having used earbuds for as long as I can remember. Difference is night and day, first song I listened to:

Copeland

Postby radicalbusiness » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:10 am

been really into the latest albums by Eagulls. Pretty standard post-punk music. sounds a lot like the cure etc but they generally sound unique enough to stand apart in the genre and the album is solid all the way through. Also anyone been listening to the new Marissa Nadler? my friend has been getting really into music with nick cave vibes and showed me her music recently. really loving her latest album.

radicalbusiness

Postby popcorn » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 pm

Did anybody check out the Huerco S. album that just got a 8.1 on Pitchfork? This guy is sooooo good, I didn't know lifeless ambient music could be this fun.

CLICK the SPOILER for AMBIENT BANGERS

popcorn

Postby Copeland » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:07 pm

So after listening to the Anohni album a few times through, though admittedly at the gym, I feel pretty repulsed by how much politics is in every song. Some of the production is interesting but holy fuck I'm just trying to enjoy a banger when suddenly I hear "Guantanamo" and "mass graves." I don't recall her ever being like this. And without remembering terribly well I think the Hercules albums had better production. Really do not enjoy hearing the political views of most musicians because and especially when they're not very interesting, like devoting a track titled "Obama" to just listing off recycled talking points, might be a good song might be bad but I'm already too distracted to decide. I want the Man is The Baby Antony and not this failed Laurie Anderson impersonator.

Went from this:

to this:

The track I was enjoying until I realized what she was saying, I thought "drone bomb" was "trombone" at first.

Re: Ian Cohen undersells the production but he gets the other stuff. This is a very naive and even dangerous record as it just gives impressionable leftists less reasons to vote for Hilary or vote at all. Maybe she meant to release it when Bernie still had a chance.

Re2:

Iliam » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:59 am

Comment:
okay no artist should ever attempt political engagement in their work and should just make whatever the equivalent of 'nice' 'bangers' are

They can, but often shouldn't. Artists have a responsibility to their audience. They, Anothni, didn't acquire that audience from political views.

Last edited by Copeland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copeland

Postby Stolsdos » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:58 am

this mix will melt your face off

Stolsdos

Postby Northwest » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:37 am

Have been having a blast going to various parties hosted by the Night Shift crew in Seattle which includes both night/club atmosphere and the companion day/outside Day Shift. They do promotional mixes for most events that they host on their mixcloud, and this one happens to be my favorite right now as a more relaxed mix.

Northwest

Postby raags » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:29 pm

what are you even talking about dude? Artists don't have a responsibility to please everyone, let alone your personal political whims. The fact that you are "repulsed" by the record really shows how strongly you are projecting here. Your personal attacks and misgendering of her are pretty weird and unnecessary. I'd argue artists have far more of a responsibility to push social causes they feel are good and right than placating fussy fans.

raags
Best Dressed

Postby Copeland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:34 pm

In what way did I personally attack or misgender her?

Copeland

Postby raags » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:36 pm

Calling her a "failed Laurie Anderson impersonator" and saying "this track I was enjoying until I realised what he was saying"

raags
Best Dressed

Postby Copeland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:52 pm

The first part is in regards to the artist and my impression of her work, not a personal attack. The second was an oversight which I corrected just now. My problem is that her political views are simplistic and her expression of them are uncreative and a chore to listen through. I never said artists have a responsibility to please. They have a responsibility to think carefully about expressing their opinions that are unrelated to music, since their visibility comes from their artistic and not political work. To release an album that shits on Obama in the middle of an election year when the primaries have been determined is an idiotic move. In light of what I imagine the majority of her audience are, leftists, this album promotes apathy and ill-timed resentment.

Like, what could be a more irrelevant and stupid political message right now? The album was released about a month ago, it was already Trump vs. Hillary, and this album is about drone strikes and torture. Not to open up a political discussion here, but what is the most logical action of those who take this album to heart? I would guess they probably supported Bernie and are now thinking of not voting in consideration of Hillary's platform on the same issues.

To clarify:

http://dronecenter.bard.edu/presidentia ... on-drones/

Hillary was the only democratic candidate at the start of the primaries who supported drones outright.

And also, failing to close Gitmo isn't as simple as failing to deliver on a promise. Politics is complicated. Her songs aren't, so yea I'm repulsed.

Last edited by Copeland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copeland

Postby mc-lunar » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:33 pm

The core of your argument is that it's bad to critique anyone from the party you vote for because that will drive voters to the other party. Just take a moment to think about this.

mc-lunar

Postby Copeland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Can you quote me on where I said her message will drive people to vote for the other party?

Copeland

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 pm

If her music didn't carry political messages before now, what makes you think her audience are majority leftists?

What does the album criticizing Obama have to do with the current political atmosphere? You're supposing that it was written to push a message or serve a purpose that it doesn't have to have. Her disliking Obama's policies could be completely removed from this election year. Are there interviews where she suggests that she wants her audience to react or behave in specific ways pertaining to the 2016 election?

In general, artists don't have a responsibility to their audience. More specifically they can choose their audience. If she wants her audience to be the dissatisfied right, that's her prerogative. I can understand why you'd be disappointed that she chose that direction, but I'd expect the next step to be "oh well, I won't listen to that artist anymore" as opposed to "this artist is idiotic and needs to remember who her fans are", which reads more like "this artist needs to remember why I personally started listening to her".

Granted I don't know Anohni so I could be missing some context from her previous work or her general fame.

UnwashedMolasses

Postby BIGBEE » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:45 pm

BIGBEE

Postby ramdomthought » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:02 pm

David Byrne and what he's done lately has just been brilliant.

The man defines being eclectic, who else would work to build a colorguard set

Still, I think his 2008 collaboration with Brian Eno brought out the best of both of them and was a wonderful return to Eno's strongest sound -- his pop production. Has been nice to re-listen to especially since Eno has been signed with Warp and churning out his great-and-wacky ambient/only-to-be-described-as-eno LPs and EPs

ramdomthought

Postby Copeland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:20 pm

Last edited by Copeland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copeland

Postby Copeland » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 pm

Last edited by Copeland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Copeland

PreviousNext

Return to Care