[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - How much do you like your PBJ?

How much do you like your PBJ?

Off topic

To toast or not to toast

Toasted
54%
Untoasted
46%

Total votes : 65

How much do you like your PBJ?

Postby sknss » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:10 pm

Please discuss your favourite variants

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Re: How do you like your PBJ?

Postby dull » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14 pm

swap jelly for honey and add banana

dull

Postby Suquida » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:14 pm

People actually eat them toasted?

Sandwich roasting is something society has convinced people need but they don't

Suquida

Postby sknss » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:18 pm

Personally I like to toast my bread because I like the warmth and the crunch. I prefer wholewheat bread with seeds and stuff. I rarely eat PBJs in France because the bread doesn't really work there. I prefer French bread with butter and jam. Likewise, I don't think butter and jam work so well on English bread. It gives me something to look forward to when I travel.
On the other side, I like raspberry or strawberry jam or redcurrant jelly (#1).
Sometimes I put a sliced banana between the two pieces of bread. Or cocoa powder.

sknss

Postby kyung » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:19 pm

have fun eating your textureless sponge

grape vs strawberry (all the other jams are fine but we're talking about the big two here)

KIMCHI SLAP

_( :⁍ 」 )_
kyung

Postby ramseames » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:21 pm

Bread in general is much better lightly toasted than heavily toasted

Peanut butter on a cruton is the last thing I want in the morning

Raspberry jam is probably the strongest option

ramseames

Postby odradek » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:26 pm

odradek

Postby === » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:25 pm

untoasted white bread
grape jelly
crunchy peanut butter

B)
===

Postby nevergreen » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:30 pm

everything is better toasted
boysenberry jam is also where it's at

nevergreen

Postby station » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:32 pm

What kind of ratios do you run between PB & the J? My results:
1 Tbsp J/1 Tbsp PB: Anything below this is just eating bread basically. I feel like the flavors are a little weak here since there is much more bread compared to PB&J.
1 Tbsp J/ 2 Tbsp PB: Pretty strong choice, since PB is less runny, you don't have stuff seeping out the sides which is a pain and its not too sweet which is also a +
2 TBsp J/ 2 Tbsp PB: The bread takes a backseat to the PB & J so having good J is p important. Stuff starts leaking out which can be a pain

Also, 15 grain Pepperidge Farm bread, unsweetened raspberry preserves, and creamy peanut butter are the best imo
Also, lightly toasted is good if eaten immediately. Untoasted for when you're not eating withing 5 minutes of making.
Does anyone butter before toasting bread like a grilled cheese?

station

Postby sknss » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Why creamy peanut butter? :/

sknss

Postby sknss » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:37 pm

sknss

Postby can- » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:00 pm

untoasted wonder bread

can-

Postby can- » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:01 pm

but ACTUALLY, on toasted, sturdy, buttered whole grain.

can-

Postby starfox64 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:13 pm

for a quick pb&j on the go, skip the bread and just eat this out of the jar

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."
starfox64

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:17 pm

I've always viewed PB&J's as a challenge. Never less than a centimeter of each and often more. It's a battle between you and your lunch (never dinner), where your dexterity and endurance are pitted against the inevitability of ingredient spillage. It's a messy and fun way to eat PB&J, which always seemed to me to fit the sandwich.

Also, anyone used to do these?

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Suquida » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:53 pm

Tired of the hassle of spreading jelly on your bread? Don't worry, Suquida is here to make your life easier

Use a spoon

Suquida

Postby ramseames » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:03 pm

The convex side of a spoon is much better for scooping /spreading peanut butter than a knife

(does not apply to when you first open the jar and the oil at the top makes it runny)

ramseames

Postby ramseames » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:06 pm

Had to eat this garbage for years because of overzealous allergy policies

Literally the worst thing ever

Screw my primary school principal for letting paranoid moms ruin my lunch

ramseames

Postby bels » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:41 pm

Toasted wholemeal pita + organic peanut butter that costs like twelve pounds.

bels
Yung Winona

Re: How much do you like your PBJ?

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:44 pm

i always did these as one thicker slice of toast topped with pb and jel. like an open face sandy, i find with two slices of bread it can get really bready

also a big fan of drizzling honey over the pb instead of jelly but idk if that counts

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby shyan » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:59 pm

My favorite PB&J includes no jelly, only peanut butter. It is made with either potato bread or whole wheat and it has the crusts on. It is then pressed firmly against the plate and cut horizontally with a sharp knife. Served with 2% milk.

shyan

Postby mu_ » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:53 pm

central to the premise of PB&J is the principle of not giving a fuck. toasting bread sounds awfully close to giving a fuck

today, more than any other day, I am excited to feel the milk of human kindness
mu_

Postby sknss » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:02 am

sknss

Postby sknss » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:04 am

sknss

Postby chilljin » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 am

i take it jelly is jam

raspberry jam with some weird dutch brand peanut butter i bought because I was too scared from the choice
sealed in the LEAN MEAN GRILLING MACHINE

chilljin

Postby bels » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:07 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Ques » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:57 am

i use the weird looking multigrain that's covered in seeds bread, chunky peanut butter, and raspberry jam. i can't stand the jams with chunks of fruit in them, texturally that grosses me out. i'd never considered pre-toasting the bread before but i'll try that when i get back to the states. the crust is my favorite part.

Ques

Postby UnwashedMolasses » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 am

In my experience in the US, jam = fruit preservatives while jelly = sugar + gelatin + fruit flavoring. Jelly doesn't have any bits of fruit. I'm sure it's different everywhere though.

Jelly texture:

Jam texture:

UnwashedMolasses

Postby Suquida » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:53 pm

May I posit:

Suquida

Next

Return to Care