[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Here is ramdomthought!

Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: ramdom jorts

Postby rublev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:13 pm

hey okay serious question for anyone who is remotely good at photoshop because i am definitely NOT good, in that i only started using it properly a month ago or whatever.

So i need to put my e-portfolio together for uploading in my applications. I got the free trial for a month but it seems to be a bit different to the version i used in class before the holidays which is annoying.

my main issue - when i used it in class, when i inserted images into a new canvas (after opening the individual files in photoshop and selecting all and copying etc) i could change their size by holding down a key and then dragging a corner in and out... this meant i could put several images on my canvas and arrange them etc, but when i try it in the trial version i just move the image around the screen rather than change the size???? does that make sense? I know i can change the size in the original file but that gets very fiddly as it's all about specific numbers.

i kno this must be photoshop 101 but honestly it's driving me insane and there are so many icons and buttons and tool bars to click i don't know what to do

help me care tagers if you can !!!!!

rublev
Political Editor

Postby maj » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:22 pm

maj

Postby rublev » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:24 pm

THANK YOU!!!!! IT WORKS!!!!! :D

rublev
Political Editor

Postby nevergreen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:28 pm

i'm sure some of you remember me smashing my finger towards the end of october? well my finger healed up pretty well, but the nail has just been bruised for the past month and i was surprised it hadn't fallen off yet. this morning i actually peeled some of the bottom of the old nail off thinking it was some cuticles and there's actually a new nail underneath. i was told a new nail would grow and i guess in hindsight this is the only way it could, but the human body is so interesting it's amazing. maybe other people will find it cool as well. image isn't rly nsfw at all but i'll put it in spoilers anyway

nevergreen

Postby donut_milk » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:47 pm

What is the point of going into work today? Barely anyone in the office let alone in the city. 3 hours left...

donut_milk

Postby RomanEmpire » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:33 am

Anyone know of any good resources to learn money management? I recently started using mint.com to help with budgeting.

What I usually do is that once I get paid I immediately use it for important stuff like sending test scores to colleges, put some in my savings, and then use the remainder for whatever I want. Once college application related stuff is over I'm gonna start putting more in my savings.

RomanEmpire

Postby jrisk » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 am

I just downloaded the free trial for YNAB (You Need A Budget) and I really like it and I'll probably buy it. To learn more about money management, /r/personalfinance is a good place to start. I like how YNAB puts it though - give every dollar you get a job; whether it's being put in savings, paying the bills or for buying clothes.

jrisk

Postby missrowan » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:13 pm

I used a payphone today. The future is now.

(seriously these things still exist??? what a time to be alive.)

missrowan

Postby yubbermax » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 pm

How do I accurately capture the color of the sky at night?

yubbermax

Postby Syeknom » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:05 am

Had my first ever falafel last night, i get what the fuss is about

Syeknom

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:14 am

What is postmodernism

Also what is modernism

They both get really weird in similar ways

DeafIdiotGod

Postby harmsalmon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:31 pm

hehehehehe

harmsalmon

Postby INNIT » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Last edited by INNIT on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
INNIT

Postby DeafIdiotGod » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:33 pm

When you walk past a glossy car and the sun reflects into your eyes

DeafIdiotGod

Postby wiggly--woo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:46 pm

filling in job applications is so unbelievably tedious. can't even imagine what it's like for the poor bastards who have sift through them all.

wiggly--woo

Postby rublev » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:40 pm

rublev
Political Editor

Postby JewTurk » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:37 am

JewTurk

Postby ramdomthought » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:37 am

i normally don't hate spiders

tonight i hate spiders

rip me this thing that i failed to kill will exact revenge

ramdomthought

Postby brlmski » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:56 am

can we change the topic name back yet

brlmski

Postby ramdomthought » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:01 am

the spider hasn't resurfaced

it might be dead

it might just be waiting

ramdomthought

Postby smiles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:14 am

pomo plays w/ the tropes and expectations of modernism/confront the failure of modernism. also may play with the structure of the novel itself.
fragmentation, metafiction, pseuo-science fiction or fantasy, parody, intertextuality, these kinds of things.

wouldn't call dfw postmodern. he's much too romantic in a sincere way.

you could call it metamodernism if you want but i don't want to talk about that.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby smiles » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:49 am

perceived failure of modernism was more prevalent in architecture compared to literature.

I mean lots of postmodernists rejected the idea of a particular subjectivity (something like a single stream of consciousness) for a more pluralistic and open interpretation. pomo deals with/or questions being through multiplicity/parody (calvino, delillo, david mitchell) rather than exploring an interpretation of reality/knowledge (joyce, hemingway)

i don't understand Heidegger enough to give you a good answer.

草地跑過的腳印
smiles

Postby hmwut » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:26 am

i understand modernism as a western embrace of new order, built from enlightenment ideals, romantic expression and 19-20th century science. nietzsche, kierkegaard, marx, darwin, flaubert, seurat and many many others broke from the traditional passages of their fields of thought and expression. those with access to these new concepts and feelings found much of their society lacking in comparison, rejected the tradition of the Christian past and accepted/developed emergent ideas and values.

developing western science was/is a primary influence of modernism. the work of scientists like freud, einstein, tesla, mendel, pasteur gave western society a vocabulary and toolset for a strange but thrilling new reality. quauntum physics, germ theory, genetics, brain mapping, the modern state, mechanical transportation, industrial production, abstract art, photography, movies. the future was clear, and it was embraced.

postmodernism is a reaction to modernism. disillusionment with modernism's belief in the new, or at least what modernism historically proposed. inattention to human dignity, spiritual and moral vacuum, destruction of environment, lack of direction are all things that postmodernists observed in modernist society and sought to capture in their work. i understand postmodernism's major catalyst to be World War 1, further spread by 2.

the modern society had a modern war, and it was horrifying. the devastation of industrial warfare, urban poverty, pollution and mutation, fascism and eugenics, reliance on technological constructs, the atomic bomb, rampant nationalism and militarization etc are all disturbing creations of modernism. postmodernists dwells on the consequences of modernism with a language formed by people like heidegger, foucault, derrida. in doing so they seek to either replace or adjust the systems that modernism put into place.

modernism has, in it's rejection of tradition created things without known precedent. today we wake with a very real threat of apocalypse, environmental or nuclear. humanity in it's ambition characterized by modernism has gone beyond it's past reach, places where old world tradition (the validity of which we increasingly become aware of) has never stepped. the fear of the unknown that naturally follows is fuel for postmodern thought.

modernism and post-modernism are both alive, their respective ideologies are present in every aspect of society in a range of conflict. they are a binary of contemporary discourse, thesis and antithesis slowly synthesizing.

hope this helps.

hmwut

Postby sknss » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:23 am

Just wanted to thank you all for helping me in my revisions

sknss
2015 Summer Camp Participant

Postby rublev » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:10 am

'it's all dead white men either way'

rublev
Political Editor

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:47 pm

i have anxiety about my anxiety counseling tomorrow

the irony

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby frogosaurus » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:22 pm

Important to note that po-mo theory (although this is getting more into critical theory) is very much interested in different perspectives, to generalize. Whether its anti-orientalism, multicultural approaches, feminism, queer theory, etc etc, there's a lot of emphasis on different ways that groups access reality. Modernism, despite being very anti-establishment at first, was still very much dominated by a single narrative, that of white, western, heterosexual males. Post-modernism rejects the notion that there is a single, or even a handful of acceptable narratives or ways to construct reality.

, your characterization of DFW as a romantic is (I think) a great way to distinguish him from his contemporaries. There's a really great interview of him where he says: “What the really great artists do is they're entirely themselves. They're entirely themselves, they've got their own vision, they have their own way of fracturing reality, and if it's authentic and true, you will feel it in your nerve endings.” Hard to imagine other authors of his ilk saying something like that.

Nothing like a little online intellectual masturbation among friends :sweg:

frogosaurus

Postby ramdomthought » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 pm

snow pictures coming soon

i wish they weren't

ramdomthought

Postby INNIT » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:14 am

INNIT

Postby ramdomthought » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:27 am