[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Here is ramdomthought!

Here is ramdomthought!

Off topic

Re: Here is ramdomthought!

Postby parastexis » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

To separate the artist from pop music removes the reason we listen to pop in the first place. pop sells the artist. we choose what pop music we like because we like, or want to be, those people. listening to pop without considering the artist is a disservice to both yourself and the music. fellow teens don't dress exactly like kanye because his music is so great, but because they wish they had his confidence, or that if they ran into him in a balenciaga store kanye would compliment their fashion sense and they'd run off into the sunset together. you may like an adele song but you will never love the song the same way middle aged british women who enter adele impersonation contests do. this phenomenon is fairly unique to pop music (it's no coincidence the only artists people ever wanted to be e.g. Warhol were pop artists).

how to rectify pop artists being shitty people? recognize there are two, not one, layers of abstraction: the human, the artist, and the music. the artist and music are hopelessly entangled, while the human is hidden somewhere beneath it all.

parastexis

Postby INNIT » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:23 pm

:heck:

Last edited by INNIT on Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INNIT

Postby alby » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:23 pm

Some dude bought something I have on grailed, the money sent to my paypal, and then also refunded to him shortly after (within minutes of me receiving the money). Dude said it was weird and might be a paypal bug. Is this guy messin with me?

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby ramseames » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Nah he can't do the refund himself, you have to process it if you want to give him one

Talk to PayPal

ramseames

Postby alby » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I ended up just sending the dude an invoice which he paid. Still, weird that it happened in the first place. Guess it doesn't matter and we chalk this up to interfering cosmic rays.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby 3hunna » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:09 pm

Been a while, how's everyone?

3hunna

Postby Suquida » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Just got back from that trump rally, had to leave early because my brain can only take so much

Plenty of comically stereotypical moments of redneckdom but the one thing that really made me laugh was when they found the two black people out of the 12,0000 people in this arena, trump pointed them out, asked them to stand up, and said something along the lines of "see! I'm helping the blacks! They recognize that!"

It honestly felt like a nazi rally at points, they were aggressively applauding when the suggestion to ban and deport Muslims was brought up

Don't confuse this for complaining, I knew exactly what I was getting into and yet I was still blindsided by a lot, there were a *lot* of high school aged kids there with trump tees and I'm fairly certain they weren't all being ironic

Oh also sorry for responding to this so late, but when I compare him to Hitler I'm comparing him to the way Hitler rose to power, the types of demagoguery he's using is eerily reminiscent of what Hitler fed to the German population. Using a scapegoat for a lot of blame and to unify (Jews in their case, Muslims in ours), powerful nationalist tones, disregarding human rights, placing a level of supremacy in the military, an obsession with national security, labor power suppression, et al. In no way am I comparing what he's said to what Hitler did, but I think a lot of people would agree that this is how those sorts of atrocities start. The way he kept talking about how America needs some sort of rebirth (pastor before him went on about this a lot) and how he says we need to "make america great again" is...very similar to how palingenetic ultranationalism is described.

Suquida

Postby Bryan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:05 am

the only proper way to spend the 1.5 billion from the powerball is to spend 1.5 billion on powerball tickets, thus creating a monopoly on powerball tickets. you can resell them all for double the price then make 3 billion aka doubling your profits!!!!

#resellislife

wya
Bryan

Postby eufemism » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:49 am

Alan rickman doeeeeeeeeeeee

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby rublev » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:33 pm

it's so sad!!!! alan!!!!!

rublev
Political Editor

Postby nevergreen » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:02 am

i just realized is not transparenti

nevergreen

Postby mittens » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:36 am

Last edited by mittens on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mittens

Postby cormac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:31 pm

kept frankincense in my camera bag for my entire vacation to Israel/Jordan and now my camera smells like Frankincense. Neat

cormac

Postby rublev » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:51 am

rublev
Political Editor

Postby eufemism » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:28 pm

the box is underrated

carrying things is so simple. just put it in a box and you're ready to go.

show me the hoe fax
eufemism

Postby rublev » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:16 pm

ermmmm...?????

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Francks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:10 am

I want to quit everything.

Ahah no not everything just my work, and take a u-turn.
Small context: I've been working for almost 2 years, graduated from a top school specialized in applied mathematics.
The true thing is that what really makes me vibrate is not working in a box everyday day of the week waiting to spend money and enjoy free time when I'm not working. I feel like I could do so much more and blossom. For the record I strongly hesitated taking an architect degree when I had the opportunity to switch, and before that I was always interested in art (broad term to oppose to business/science and not to make a post far too long).

I'm following the path of the previous generation for whom get a degree, have a good job, work again till retirement and then be "free" was success. But I really believe that in most cases this is a perversion of what life should be. And I think our generation starts to understand this and I expect the future of companies and how they are managed to be a lot different in 20years (unless this generation embraces the path of its predecessors). At the moment there is a clear split between what I like, where I feel good and what I do for a living. This disconnection is not something I aspire to.

So let's be pragmatic. What should/could I do? With my degree I could switch industry relatively easily. But the issue is not the industry itself, although it could help as some of them are somewhat "innovant". So why not take another degree in arr and enter a different world, is it even necessary? Build a startup where I set the rules? Stop complaining and do like every other person?

I like to create, and decide what I want to show, express and be free to experience things the way I want to. I value the change. I also think that too few people have different parallel careers whereas they want to/are able to. This is kind of locking oneself in a box.

I don't have any constraints (no wife/children) at the moment. I could stop tomorrow and the worry would be to survive financially. But I really think, personally, that a choice needs to be done now before it's too late (never too late some say...). What do you think?

Note: wrote using a smartphone

Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby bels » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 am

These are very difficult questions Franck. Ones that most people (myself included) don't so much answer as let fall by the wayside.

I've noticed that actually successful people never seem to provide any advice so take everything below with a pinch of salt but I can tell you that:

Feeling like your work is kind of lame and you should be doing "something else" is a pretty pervasive feeling amongst almost everyone. There's probably some start up founders and well remunerated artists who don't feel like this. I'm not saying that it's a great thing to feel and you should "put up with it", just know that you aren't alone, maybe talk to your friends about it? I have heard lots of 50 year olds tell me this is just a thing that happens in your youth and if you have kids/marriage then you literally stop giving a single flying shit about "what you do" (anecdotal evidence)

If you have a job that takes up considerably more than 40 hours a week, every week you're getting conned and I'd try and renegotiate.

Parallel careers are great but having two jobs takes a lot of time. It's possible than in ten years you're an MD and a successful novelist. It might have been perfectly fine to have been just one of those and had double the free time to screw around in.

Try not to worry too much about "markers of success". People SAY they don't do this but almost all of us do. It's is VERY difficult to not worry about them as basically your whole life you've been conditioned to worry about them. They normally only matter as much as you make them matter.

And I'll take this opportunity to dish out the generalised "life advice" that I give anyone who's foolish enough to let me.

- Do some fitness stuff (4x a week)
- Put time and effort into developing and maintaining close personal friendships (consider this your second job if necessary.)
- Get therapy sooner rather than later

bels
Yung Winona

Postby oucho » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 am

From now I shall like everyone and everything to the exact same degree no matter what.

oucho

Postby Francks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:33 pm

Thanks bels and all, will post again anyway if there is a significant change happening

Francks

Postby Francks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:13 pm

By the way I've got 70gb of documentaries. Where can I upload them online for sharing?

Francks

Postby Francks » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm

Was more talking about uploading the actual videos

nope, many of them ranging from architecture, photofraphy, fashion, art, cinema, science

Francks

Postby ptozzi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm

Last edited by ptozzi on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ptozzi

Postby Ques » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:02 am

i cut dairy out of my diet two weeks ago and now for the first time in my life don't have chronic stomach problems. revolutionary!

new problem: is eating a hard-boiled egg every day for breakfast and another fried one with my lunch going to make my cholesterol rise too fast

Ques

Postby bels » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:30 am

bels
Yung Winona

Postby Francks » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 pm

not in a specific order. This is not the "best", can't really rank them just some that I enjoyed watching:

Visual acoustics
Kochuu - Japanese Architecture Influence & Origin
Everybody Street
The Contacts photo series as well as the BBC's Genius of Photography series
The salt of the earth
Fashion!
The Shock of the New

Yes it's not 5 or 10, deal with it ,

Francks

Postby mittens » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:40 pm

Last edited by mittens on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
mittens

Postby JonjoShelvey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:01 am

tfw eating fiber makes ur poops slide out so easy but hurts your stomach at the same time

is the pain worth the two wipe poos

JonjoShelvey

Postby Francks » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:48 am

yes it is the actual name, documentary (3 ep.) from Olivier Nicklaus around 2012 I guess

Francks

Postby WussWayne » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:40 pm

The Revenant makes me want to carve out a nice warm Wompa carcass in the middle of a Michigan winter and settle down to re-watch The Birdman

Nightclub on a Friday
Get my Gucci on
F-f-f-firestarter
Yes, I'm in the zone
You coming on me like a player (WOOF!)
But your game's all wrong
You get your words all twisted
It's the same old song
WussWayne

PreviousNext

Return to Care