[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
care-tags.org • View topic - Music is my boyfriend

Music is my boyfriend

Off topic

Re: Music is my boyfriend

Postby oucho » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 pm

drum and bass is the only way to destroy the english class system

oucho

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

I'm getting to see Snarky Puppy on the 15th of this month. Beyond excited. Fantastic group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_XJ_s5IsQc

JewTurk

Postby CPV1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:57 am

I kept a list of everyone that I saw in 2016. Was quite stressful (the worst being when you have like one MC billed and then 10 of their mates that you don't know the names of turn up) to be honest but it's quite nice now to look back and remember nights out.

Looks like I started off mostly going to see grime and other UK bass genres with more and more techno creeping in as the year went on with little bits of PC music dotted around the place. Seems pretty accurate.

Chunky and Grandmixxer are who I've seen the most this year, at fives times each. Which is strange because I don't actually particularly like either of them. But I suppose they're both trendy, UK based and probably quite cheap to book so it makes sense that they get about.

Best night of the year was probably the Berceuse Heroique showcase at FWD>>. From Beneath's intense intro of the words "you stupid fucking bastard" repeated again and again for like five minutes with loads of reverb and delay building it up into a scary wall of sound. To Hodge laying down unreleased banger after unreleased banger. To Koehler managing to incorporate pretty much every genre I think there is.

Best tune I heard was probably Digital Emotion - 'Go Go Yellow Screen' which Truss somehow magically mixed into his set of dark, UK, techno stompers. I remember being very overwhelmed at the time by how amazing I thought it was.

So yeah, pretty good year. But even with just the stuff that's been announced to far, 2016 is looking even better.

CPV1

Postby fun_yunchables » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:39 pm

i dunno where to put this exactly but seeing how i didn't have any pictures of food involved

did you know nujabes had a brother
and that brother owns a ramen shop in shibuya

makin beats or makin ramen u tell me

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby raags » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:20 am

I'm seeing Abdulla Rashim on Friday and I'm just so fucking stoked.

Abdulla (who is actually a white aryan-looking Swedish guy, go figure) has quickly developed into a pivotal figure of the hypnotic techno scene, as head of the Swedish label and a prodigious young producer in his own right. His work is so incredibly textured, his sound design so intricate and I find it so evocative while still being quite bare...

This stuff is my absolute favourite sphere of music at the moment. I went to Labyrinth festival in Japan late last year and was blown away. It's stuff that's really best experienced live, around a large group of people being sucked into the building whirlwind that is a set of this stuff, on a system where you can simultaneously be enveloped in the sound, hear every detail of its immaculate production, and feel the bass and sub-bass through your whole body.

I think these producers are on the absolute cutting edge of music, innovation, sound design, and creativity at the moment.

A lot of these tracks are really designed to be listened to in the context of a DJ set - they are used as tools to transition between tracks, as a part of multiple tracks to be layered together - home listening doesn't always capture them.

If this is compelling to you here are some more tracks. I can post some mixes too if people would like to listen.

Last edited by raags on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raags
Best Dressed

Postby midemolet » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:05 pm

I like to think that once we immerse ourselves within an art-form, it becomes easier to find a personally satisfying niche. Like we know in fashion people who know so much about it settle on a a few pieces, a brand, or an aesthetic that makes them the happiest. This past year that happened to me with music. I've been really paying attention to the music scene at least seven years now, reading pitchfork, going to lots of different shows. I've had rap phases, folk phases, metal phases, pretty much listened to all I can about every genre and scene relevant today. I have a favorite artist in every genre. But this past year I've pretty much exclusively listened to emo revival bands. Like lyysander said before I was sick of the lack of critically-acclaimed music that actually "rawked." Rap is awesome, but as a nerdy white kid it doesn't really speak to me. I never really got fully into EDM because the lack of lyrical content makes for a unsatisfying listen. And the indie rock scene was sometimes too brainy, sometimes too weird, but overall missing emotion.

Unaware to me previously, there are a myriad of bands making raw, angsty, guitar-driven music, who are not afraid to belt out a world-beating melody. People in music like to call the emo revival music for people who miss the rock spirit, and for as awkward as that sounds its true. Emo music isn't a scene as much as its a catch-all for underground rock music with emotional weight. Because of this, there's a huge range in the type of music that is labelled "emo." Joyce Manor and The Hotelier make great punk music. Sorority Noise and You Blew It! are Weezer-esque poppy throwbacks. Some groups share more with post-hardcore, such as La Dispute or Title Fight. My favorites add a bit of math-rock, such as Dads or Tiny Moving Parts.

Anyway, it's cool to find a genre that really speaks to me. While I still listen to lots of other music, I always end up coming back to my favorite new emo bands.

midemolet

Postby Stolsdos » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Okay I love Northern Electronics, but this is hilarious: http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=32810

Stolsdos

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:24 am

every so often someone floats the idea that frank's taking so long with his next album cause he's afraid he won't be able to outdo (or even match) channel orange

which is an idea i disagree with

and then i re-listen to pyramids and i'm aaaalmost inclined to agree

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby rjbman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:51 pm

Adele covers Nicki Minaj's verse on "Monster" (~10:15 or so)

[youtube]Nck6BZga7TQ?t=615[/youtube]

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby nevergreen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:08 am

i have what i consider a pretty decent pair of headphones (sennheiser hd280s). they're very nice overall and well balanced for different genres, but lacking in the bass. since i listen to mostly electronic (techno and deep house primarily) i was considering a new pair or an amp. i decided to go with an amp since new headphones aren't that necessary and i like mine. i bought the fiio a3. DAMN they sound fucking good now and the bass is nice. it's a whole new world

didn't break the bank either. it is a portable amp instead of some of the better desktop amps, but still sounds great and i'll be able to take it anywhere if i want because it's so small. if anyone's considering buying an amp i'd totally recommend it. didn't realize how much of a difference they made.

nevergreen

Postby popcorn » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:56 am

I finally started reading about music, a few thoughts follow:

- I can't decide whether or not Pitchfork is actually "suffering from white guilt." There's probably some good writing out there about this, but I don't actually think they're apologists, music critics just want to see new things.
- Reading Pitchfork will kill you. Smaller music review groups (Gorilla vs Bear for example) tend to have more fun with their top lists.
- Ignorance is really bliss, there's a place for formulaic music, and if you can appreciate it you should.
- I love Grimes. I think in 2025 we'll be able to say she changed (electronic?) music permanently.
- I can't really get into Vampire Weekend, even though Ezra is probably the person I aspire to most in this world. Rostam's production in general is hit-and-miss for me.

popcorn

Postby Suquida » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:41 pm

I'm not sure if this has been a topic discussed here yet (probably though) but how has where you live shaped the types of music you listen to, if at all? I've always lived within walking distance of beautiful beaches my entire life and I'm realizing now that it's caused me to always gravitate toward music I'd describe as "belonging in the soundtrack to some indie surf movie":

I'm friends with loads of people who surf (literally like 1 degree of separation from Rob Machado), they all like to watch and make videos of their own, and if you're into that sort of thing as well I think you'll agree that these definitely fit the description I gave huh

yeah of course, the internet has definitely caused people to branch out more but I still think regional influences play a huge part in what you enjoy, or 4 out of 5 people where I live wouldn't love country music the way they do. Hell, the 2nd song I linked is on burger records, which I'd have no idea about without the internet lol

Suquida

Postby popcorn » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:45 am

This is a non-answer but I'm really struggling to associate the places I'm attached to and the music I'm fond for.

popcorn

Postby JewTurk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:18 am

All I've been listening to for the past few months: Rodrigo Amarante, Devendra Banhart, Julia Holter, CocoRosie, Tobias Jesso Jr. and Joanna Newsom.

Anyone have good recommendations up this vein of music? They all sound so different yet feel so similar, I don't know how to put it into words.

They go together so well it's unbelievable. Rodrigo and Devendra were in Los Amigos together.

JewTurk

Postby iwtt » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:17 am

since i saw them on the primavera poster i've been listening to so much A.R Kane again. To me they are one of the few bands that pretty much laid the basis for a genre that i still find super interesting and enjoyable to listen to on their own merit, like i've never really been into slint or swans just because of them being pioneers of their sound. Please provide more examples of groundbreaking music that is still an enjoyable listen. Hard mode: no Beach Boys.

[youtube]watch?v=gt5hwb10N8o[/youtube]

iwtt

Postby popcorn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:39 am

I think the mark of a truly great song is it being worth listening to at a very high volume.

Concerts put this theory in motion.

popcorn

Postby Francks » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:47 pm

Last edited by rjbman on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed embed (just use the random key at the end)
Convergentalternatives.tumblr.com
Francks

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:07 am

love how eruption is one of van halen's most popular songs and it's literally just eddie fucking around on guitar for >2 mins

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:11 pm

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby fun_yunchables » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 am

dunno if you listen to the japanese shoegaze/noise bands but nagoya getting some love from me in grasshopper

plus the female synth player / vocalist is pretty #fudge which is cool

on a unrelated note, super late but i'm liking this new diiv album, which now has a streaming preview

coolest lame guy u'll ever meet
fun_yunchables

Postby Copeland » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:52 pm

been obsessed with old Laurel Halo:

Copeland

Postby rjbman » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:03 am

"Let's be vagabonds." - Yohji Yamamoto
rjbman

Postby rublev » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:57 pm

wow yes, i love that laurel halo record. particularly the bottom two tracks you posted... it's ages since i've listened to them. i remember there being an OPN remix as well.

rublev
Political Editor

Postby Stolsdos » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:00 pm

This punk/electro remix is incredible:

Also the same record label, but a "local" artist, Bill Converse's meditations/industry is fantastic.

I've seen him twice now along with a live set, he is an absolute master at his craft and is climbing up into the general techno crowd.
He's such a nice guy too, he came into our station and dropped off the vinyl in person.

Stolsdos

Postby alby » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I made a of all the albums I owned so I could more easily alphabetize my collection, but also rated them and added a few comments about the album and/or physical record. I've shocked myself that I have as many records as I do consider that I only started collecting a few years ago. More records than I can usually listen to, but it's fun. I like to try to have a diverse enough collection so that when someone comes over, they can pick out an album they like and spin it. I like getting people involved with it.

i'd walk a mile for a camel
alby

Postby Stolsdos » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Stolsdos

Postby Copeland » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:30 pm

The new (leaked) Tim Hecker album is really good, probably his best. Can't post anything except for the already released single. Highly recommended if you are into his stuff, been listening to Violet Monumental I and II on repeat.

Single:

@wintyd0n0 yes!

Copeland

Postby CheerUpBrokeBoy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:43 am

future's live show is insane, can't recommend it enough

trap/drill rappers get a lot of flack for sometimes being unreliable/lazy when performing but hendrix came correct – started early, high energy, great visuals, brought esco out to hype the crowd while he took a break, crazy-ass high-pressure smoke machines, LASERS, all that

CheerUpBrokeBoy

Postby Blastoise » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:42 pm

Went to Animal Collective last night. Stellar show, great visuals, solid set that flowed together really well. Touring drummer was a good fit with the other three. Would have liked to have seen more stage presence from them but they were energetic enough and there's only so much you can do with the crowd when you're standing behind a bunch of synths. Could have played more from Merriweather. Panda Bear needs to play guitar live again (he didn't on his last solo tour either).

Painting With: strong album overall but more variety in texture would improve it a lot, nothing stands out too much in particular. Favorite tracks: FloriDada, Hocus Pocus, Golden Gal, Summing the Wretch. Least favorite: Natural Selection

New album coming out from a local band at the end of the month, recently signed to Domino Records. I've been following them for a couple of years, definitely worth checking out. Singles:

Blastoise

Postby hirokinakamura » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:13 am

Cornrow Kenny and Collegrove

The world finally has the CDQ of Kendrick's Colbert performance (along with 7 other absolute quality tracks) and we've got the best weezy verses in years.

We're all feasting today.

The Loopwheel Lord, King of Sweatshirts, and consummate Watch Snob
hirokinakamura

PreviousNext

Return to Care